THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

to have a chance, these are the priorities

1. beat OSU

2. Louisville beats FSU

3. Georgia beats Alabama (I worry that a 1 loss Georgia and 1 loss Bama get in - fuckery)

i don't think they can deny Texas if those 3 things happen.

Would be Pac 12 Champ, Big 10 Champ, SEC Champ, Big12 Champ

** i mean Michigan losing to Iowa would be huge, but not even considering that to be a likelihood.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you all should all prepare yourselves for a 13-1 New Years 6 Bowl opportunity. All paths to the playoff never cleared. The ACC is desperate, no way Louisville receives fair officiating. That Oklahoma loss was terrible at the time, and it’s even more infuriating now.

• Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

I think you all should all prepare yourselves for a 13-1 New Years 6 Bowl opportunity. All paths to the playoff never cleared. The ACC is desperate, no way Louisville receives fair officiating. That Oklahoma loss was terrible at the time, and it’s even more infuriating now.

I mean the goal this year was to win the Big 12 Championship. I am alright with finishing 13-1 and #5 or whatever.

But it would just be a lot cooler if we got in the CFP.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I’m at peace with whatever happens as far as the playoffs go. Losing to a subpar OU team that you should have beaten by 20 has consequences. Let’s just enjoy our New Year’s Day bowl victory against Tulane. 

Sure. But we could have easily lost two other games. 11-1 is about right for how good this team is. I don't think it was some kind of massive choke disaster to lose to OU, we aren't the sort of program right now that can roll out there and crush people by 30. At least not yet. We are working our way there.

So Louisville beats Florida State, Washington beats Oregon, Georgia beats Bama….. still seems iffy for Horns to get into CFP with a 1-loss Ohio State, a close road loss to a better team than Texas’ one loss to OU at a neutral site.  Texas road win at Bama better than any OSU wins for sure, but OSU does have wins over ND and Penn State.  CFP Committee supposedly doesn’t award much credence for conference championships, but just selects what they believe to be the (4) best teams.  

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If we get to an NY6 bowl I hope all of our healthy players decide to play in it. Sark is still looking for his first bowl win at Texas.

Only seniors or guys leaving for the NFL opt out. We don't have too many of those guys this year I don't think.

4 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

So Louisville beats Florida State, Washington beats Oregon, Georgia beats Bama….. still seems iffy for Horns to get into CFP with a 1-loss Ohio State, a close road loss to a better team than Texas’ one loss to OU at a neutral site.  Texas road win at Bama better than any OSU wins for sure, but OSU does have wins over ND and Penn State.  CFP Committee supposedly doesn’t award much credence for conference championships, but just selects what they believe to be the (4) best teams.  

No, it doesn't. We would have an extra game that tOSU wouldn't have. Their shot was to beat Michigan. They failed. They aren't backing into the playoffs over a 12 win Texas. Come on man. They don't have a win over the SEC runner up. Their best win is a team that didn't qualify for the Big 10 title. A 3 point win over Notre Dame does not trump a 10 point win at Bama

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

I think having better wins trumps having better losses.

Edited by Valmy77

27 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

You're probably right.  

I think people are focused on them because the rankings have a ton of week-to-week momentum.  We should be getting the nod over them for now.  If they beat Washington, that would be a huge feather for their cap.

Don’t think so. OSU is significantly better than Tech. Both were whipped but I expect the margin between 6 and 7 to stay as it is for 5 and 6 this week. And we’re still behind the Ducks. Doesn’t matter - one of UW or UO will fall below us. We must have FSU or UM lose. There’s no other way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Wait, are you actually saying the Refs favored FSU tonight vs Flawduh? The hell you say?

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Heather Dinich has her projections up but they are behind a paywall. She’s the most connected/most credible analyst when it comes to this.

She has 

1. Georgia

2. Michigan 

3. Washington 

4. Oregon 

5. Florida State

6. Ohio State 

7. Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I’m at peace with whatever happens as far as the playoffs go. Losing to a subpar OU team that you should have beaten by 20 has consequences. Let’s just enjoy our New Year’s Day bowl victory against Tulane. 

Yep. Win the got damn Rig 12. Everything after that is gravy.

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

She has 

1. Georgia

2. Michigan 

3. Washington 

4. Oregon 

5. Florida State

6. Ohio State 

7. Texas

Get fucked with that. The love that Oregon is getting with a GD FCS game as part of their win totals is bullshit. The one good team they played, they lost to. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

She has 

1. Georgia

2. Michigan 

3. Washington 

4. Oregon 

5. Florida State

6. Ohio State 

7. Texas

Makes sense. If we beat oSu, we move past Ohio State in the final poll. If FSU loses, we take their spot. Washington/Oregon move behind us. 

If we win and Louisville wins we are in. It’s that simple.  That’s the clearest path barring an Iowa miracle.  The committee has  never taken a 1 loss non conference champion over a 1 loss conference champion, so if Louisville wins and Bama wins, too, I’m not that worried.  I think Bama winning is a bigger upset though.  Wouldn’t be surprised if ACCCG is close to a pick ‘em.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

She has 

1. Georgia

2. Michigan 

3. Washington 

4. Oregon 

5. Florida State

6. Ohio State 

7. Texas

Ohio State doesn't matter.  If we win we jump them.  I think we need 1 of Two scenarios to happen.  1.  Both FSU and Oregon lose (if Oregon wins in this scenario we might still make it but it would be whatever the committee wanted) or two of the undefeateds going down. If it came down to a handful of 1 loss teams for 2 spots, being conference Champs with a win over Bama and a bigger blowout over Tech (a shared opponent between us and Oregon) would be enough to get us one of the 2 available spots.  The one loss teams that aren't conference Champs would fall behind the conference Champs by default with the committee.  

18 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I was at peace with it until Kate Beckinsale walked in my room naked, and then Auburn hit her with a late hit. And then about five minutes later, Sienna Miller eye fucked me from across the bar, then went home with a huge Penix. Two hours later, Sydney Sweeney called me to tell me she was heading over, but that fucking backup QB dork from FSU was texting me dick pics instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

I was at peace with it until Kate Beckinsale walked in my room naked, and then Auburn hit her with a late hit. And then about five minutes later, Sienna Miller eye fucked me from across the bar, then went home with a huge Penix. Two hours later, Sydney Sweeney called me to tell me she was heading over, but that fucking backup QB dork from FSU was texting me dick pics instead. 

Username checks out

1 minute ago, ATXbronco said:

Playoffs in no particular order =

• Georgia (unless they lose to Alabama)
  • Michigan (unless they lose to Iowa)
  • Washington or Oregon
  • FSU (unless they lose to Louisville)

Lottery numbers for tomorrow's drawing in no particular order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (unless other numbers get drawn)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

I’m just going to concentrate on Texas winning the conference championship.  Whatever the fuck happens after that happens with the committee doing what it does.  Fuck it.

neg away

nothing to neg.  Conference Championship is number 1 goal.  But it's fun to talk about what could happen and I'm afraid it's either playoff or NY6 bowl against a group of 5 team.  There really isn't an in between since the Sugar Bowl is a playoff game. 

Edited by chemHORN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

I’m just going to concentrate on Texas winning the conference championship.  Whatever the fuck happens after that happens with the committee doing what it does.  Fuck it.

neg away

This is a mature and rational way of approaching our situation.

And I want no part of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

They’d get a lot of shit if they put a 1 loss OSU in over a 1 loss conference champ in Texas. No one wants to see the same teams recycled over and over again. OSU’s best win is against a 2 loss PSU who can’t score. We’ve got a win over #8 team in the country.

Well if you go by who has the best wins, sure.

But what about quality losses?

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well if you go by who has the best wins, sure.

But what about quality losses?

We’ve lost to #13 on neutral field in the last minute. That’s not a horrible loss. Our SOS is much better than those ahead of us. I think people would prefer to see what Texas can do instead of watching OSU come up short like they have done for the last 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do we really think if Bama beats Georgia, that the committee leaves out the SEC from the playoffs? I just don't see that happening. ESPN runs college football and they aren't leaving their golden child conference in the dark.

I feel the winner of the SEC and Pac 12 games get in. Leaving 2 spots. Michigan is almost a lock to beat Iowa. Leaving 1 spot. Which is either us or Florida State. They win, they are absolutely in, even though they will get drilled the first game.

I guess we could hope Iowa wins as that puts us in but how likely is that?

Since we are doing this for fun lets say Texas lays a UCF style beating on OKST and Alabama beats Georgia 17 to 14 after Georgia has a bad game with like 4 stupid turnovers and Bama has no turnovers. Is SEC still in?

19 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Agree. Winning the conference with a single loss in a rivalry game and not getting in would be tough to swallow.

It will be nothing like beating OU head to head and a few coaches vote you way low to make sure you don't get ranked ahead of OU. Only thing that would match it is if it is Alabama that gets in.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 2

This just isn’t a year of upsets - it’s infuriating that it happens to be the year that we have a team that is probably a top 3 team talent wise. The shit ain’t happening. We have gotten zero help and today was just continuous kicks to the balls.

The loss to a mid OU team was colossal and we will be saying “what if” for years to come.

(Unless FSU loses then maybe?) lulz

When comparing 1 loss teams, I believe that the committee would give priority to those who have won their conference championship game. Only exception to this would be Georgia, as I fear that they'd try to sneak in both Bama and and the 2-time defending national champions (it's not fair, but I could see them doing it).

SEC, B10, and PAC are all probably getting at least 1 team in no matter what at this point. We need Georgia to win and FSU to lose to make it in. There's also a chance we could jump another 1 lose conference champion if we obliterate okie lite like 45-0 (see tOSU in 2014), but it's unlikely.

It's unfortunate, but in terms of playoff contention we probably picked the worst year in the last 10 to be a 1 loss team.

We have a lot of data points in our favor. I have no idea why those data points don’t already have us over Oregon, or over Ohio state if the next ranking follows what’s been posted here anecdotally.  I have no idea if those data points will win out in the only ranking that matters. 

i don’t know why that lady would have one 1 loss team over Washington, and especially the one with the most recent loss. I’m sure she dropped Texas after it’s last second loss to a top 10 team. 

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]