THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

17 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

Played nicely? He was 12-25 for 125 yards and was super lucky Florida dropped at least 2 easy pick sixes. FSU won that game in spite of him, not because of him.

Did they win? Is that not the point? He was trash early and settled in. If he sucks against Louisville they will lose and we'll be set.

History says the CFP has been won by a team on their 3rd string QB. I am not about leaving an undefeated team out due to QB injury.

Edited by Pam Cummings

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, immamac said:

sorry yes. lol

And yes, I totally agree.  tOSU is just a placeholder right now.

No need to read anything further into it.  You can make all the same arguments-- and actually be correct-- simply by mentioning Oregon remaining above us all these weeks despite all logic defying it.

(I mean, other than Bo Nix' completion percentage...)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

as in, everyone is lobbying for Fraud FSU to be left out for Texas? Sign me up for that flavor of fucking kool-aid. 

Exactly.  In that scenario of Bama getting in, we also get in and FSU gets left out.  Michigan is a given in and the Oregon-Washington winner is in.

and by the way, I recall on that Saturday morning before the injury, Gameday crowd saying they didn't know even then if FSU deserved to be in.  Today on his podcast, Klatt thought we would be at least a 9 point favorite against FSU so the committee could just look at us as clearly better and leapfrog them.

Edited by mdleast

The committee wants SEC, B1G and Pac 12 represented. That's why they put two teams from B1G and Pac 12 ahead of us. If one loses, the other takes their spot. I want UGA to win so that we can take the 4th spot with an FSU loss. I don't want to give the committee an excuse to let two SEC teams in because they pass the "eye test" and "look how well Milroe is playing" and because they hate Texas.

1 hour ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

I meant that in the sense that it's acknowledged that even the best NFL teams are going to have a loss or two in the regular season.

With the new super conferences, I think the result is going to be that the big boys start taking a loss or two more than has been normal historically; due to the fact that they're in a conference with even more big boys (still nowhere near the parity in the NFL, obviously). With the 12 team playoff, however, having a single loss isn't going to keep any team in the new SEC or Big 10 out of the playoffs. 

In this case, from a team development standpoint, I'm thinking that scheduling a premier OOC opponent could prove beneficial down the line in the playoffs. 

why take a chance on an extra loss?  you are in a super conference already so you don't need to prove you played a tough schedule.  Oregon doesn't.

one loss you are in, 2 losses is borderline. you get punished severely for the OOC loss and no real benefit if you win.  If I see it actually mean something I'd agree with you.

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The committee wants SEC, B1G and Pac 12 represented. That's why they put two teams from B1G and Pac 12 ahead of us. If one loses, the other takes their spot. I want UGA to win so that we can take the 4th spot with an FSU loss. I don't want to give the committee an excuse to let two SEC teams in because they pass the "eye test" and "look how well Milroe is playing" and because they hate Texas.

Texas' win over Alabama and the fact that they should have lost to Auburn is enough to keep them behind Texas if Texas wins.  

Yes, the committee and the tv networks really hate the idea of Texas being in it.    / eye roll.

Stop looking for conspiracies.   We didn't play great for about a month, we lost to OU who then proceeded to lose twice, we have been shitty for a decade (so get no benefit of the doubt), and we got unlucky that there are so many zero loss/ 1 loss teams this year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Yes, the committee and the tv networks really hate the idea of Texas being in it.    / eye roll.  Stopping looking for conspiracies.   We didn't play great for about a month, we lost to OU who then proceeded to lose twice, we have been shitty for a decade (so get no benefit of the doubt), and we got unlucky that there are so many zero loss/ 1 loss teams this year.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

why take a chance on an extra loss?  you are in a super conference already so you don't need to prove you played a tough schedule.  Oregon doesn't.

one loss you are in, 2 losses is borderline. you get punished severely for the OOC loss and no real benefit if you win.  If I see it actually mean something I'd agree with you.

To be fair I'm not sure the Pac 12 is as good as the love they are getting.  Oregon beat Tech by 38-30 and only because of a late turnover.  No one in that conference played anyone OOC.  So the only thing that makes them look strong is they all won their OOC games and then just played each other.  Everyone is just ignoring that nobody in that conference played any tough non OOC games. I think the Pac12 could be fools gold and you could see whoever from there that gets in get smoked in the playoff.  

Edited by chemHORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Yes, the committee and the tv networks really hate the idea of Texas being in it.    / eye roll.

Stop looking for conspiracies.   We didn't play great for about a month, we lost to OU who then proceeded to lose twice, we have been shitty for a decade (so get no benefit of the doubt), and we got unlucky that there are so many zero loss/ 1 loss teams this year.

All of this. Plus Bo Nix completion percentage.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Actual Rankings:
Georgia 1
Michigan 2
UW 3a
UO 3b
FSU 5a
Texas 5b
Alabama 5c
tOSU 6

Yep

26 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Did they win? Is that not the point? He was trash early and settled in. If he sucks against Louisville they will lose and we'll be set.

History says the CFP has been won by a team on their 3rd string QB. I am not about leaving an undefeated team out due to QB injury.

Yeah Texas fans shouldn’t throw stones about winning ugly with a backup. Lol

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

It’s obvious the Big 12 gets no respect and that’s why we are leaving. 11-1 and ranked 7th. It’s so obvious there’s 3 spots for the Pac-12, SEC and B1G champs by default. And Big 12 and ACC have to duke out a fourth spot. Fuck this stupid conference and good riddance. 

If it was already 2024, we’d be 4th or 5th in the rankings with our SEC credentials. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Texas' win over Alabama and the fact that they should have lost to Auburn is enough to keep them behind Texas if Texas wins.  

I just don’t see that happening. The committee would love nothing more than to include Alabama, especially one that just won the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

To be fair I'm not sure the Pac 12 is as good as the love they are getting.  Oregon beat Tech by 38-30 and only because of a late turnover.  No one in that conference played anyone OOC.  So they only thing that makes look them strong is they all won their OOC games and then just played each other.  Everyone is just ignoring that nobody in that conference played any tough non OOC games. I think the Pac12 could be fools gold and you could see whoever from there that gets in get smoked in the playoff.  

agreed but Coach Prime!

Lanning playing Ga at any point will have some advantage(and yes it could work in reverse a bit but usually advantage to former coach).  My bet would be that FSU is 4 and they wouldn't face until Champ game if they can get by Mich.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yep

Yeah Texas fans shouldn’t throw stones about winning ugly with a backup. Lol

It’s obvious the Big 12 gets no respect and that’s why we are leaving. 11-1 and ranked 7th. It’s so obvious there’s 3 spots for the Pac-12, SEC and B1G champs by default. And Big 12 and ACC have to duke out a fourth spot. Fuck this stupid conference and good riddance. 

If it was already 2024, we’d be 4th or 5th in the rankings with our SEC credentials. 

Plus, we wouldn't have to worry about a spot being reserved for the Pac12

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

you get punished severely for the OOC loss and no real benefit if you win.  If I see it actually mean something I'd agree with you.

Besides the entertainment and $'s associated with a big game early in the season, I think it does make the team better (which hopefully increases the odds of winning the "easier" conference games the rest of the year).  Kids/coaches are more motivated over the spring/summer when you know you have an early game with Bama/Michigan/Etc..  Playing a good team early can also highlight deficiencies that a cupcake may not expose.   With the 12 team playoff, I think these games make more sense going forward than they have historically.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, blutow said:

Besides the entertainment and $'s associated with a big game early in the season, I think it does make the team better (which hopefully increases the odds of winning the "easier" conference games the rest of the year).  Kids/coaches are more motivated over the spring/summer when you know you have an early game with Bama/Michigan/Etc..  Playing a good team early can also highlight deficiencies that a cupcake may not expose.   With the 12 team playoff, I think these games make more sense going forward than they have historically.  

Yep. “If you want to beat Ohio State, meet me here every night at 7pm” means something. Not “if you want to beat Louisiana Monroe, meet me here every night at 7pm”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

committee needs to add "Heisman trophy finalist" "Season long marketing campaign funded by Phil Knight who is the former CEO of the 2nd largest NCAA sponsor" to the top of the guidelines list before SOS and H2H.

Nike (120 Deals)

Industry: Apparel/Footwear | Portfolio Percentage: 25% | NCAA Brand Affinity: 3.12x

Notable Partners: Duke University, Ohio State University, University of Georgia, University of Oregon, University of Texas

Nike has partnered with 120 colleges and universities as the primary apparel/footwear provider of the athletic teams. According to data from SportsAtlas, Nike pays at least 25 colleges north of $1.83M annually to have its equipment used by schools’ athletes. Nike’s most expensive recorded partnerships are with Ohio State University ($16.8M/year) and the University of Texas ($16.7M/year). Nike has activated on social with 25 schools over the past few months with many of the posts promoting the brand’s Air Pegasus 37 collaboration.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. “If you want to beat Ohio State, meet me here every night at 7pm” means MEANT something. Not “if you want to beat Louisiana Monroe, meet me here every night at 7pm”

FIFY

SOS meant a lot in the BCS days. It means jack shit to this committee & will mean less & less going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hook me said:

FIFY

SOS meant a lot in the BCS days. It means jack shit to this committee & will mean less & less going forward.

I think it's more the idea the motivation to beat an Ohio State, Michigan, USC, etc. in non-conf brings a team together in the offseason more than "ho hum, ULM, UTSA and UTEP" 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]