THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

2 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

What if Michigan, Georgia, and Washington all lost then FSU and Texas won.  Now that would be a shit show.  Everybody has 1 loss except FSU.  lol

would guess FSU, Texas, Bama, and Georgia.. Georgia probably gets the honor of playing FSU .. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Michigan, Georgia, and Washington all lost then FSU and Texas won.  Now that would be a shit show.  Everybody has 1 loss except FSU.  lol

13-0 FSU

12-1 Texas

12-1 Bama

12-1 Oregon 

That wasn’t hard.

Michigan and Ohio State aren’t conf champs and would be left out. Iowa has 2 losses so they would be left out even though they are a P5 champ. 

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

13-0 FSU

12-1 Texas

12-1 Bama

12-1 Oregon 

That wasn’t hard.

Michigan and Ohio State aren’t conf champs and would be left out. Iowa has 2 losses so they would be left out even though they are a P5 champ. 

This but the seeds would be FSU, Oregon/Texas (doesn't matter), and Bama in order to prevent rematches in the first round.

19 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Kinda think FSU winning/Georgia losing is currently the scenario keeping the committee up at night.

Trying to sort out two spots between 13-0 FSU, 12-1 Georgia, 12-1 Alabama, 12-1 Texas is impossible to get right.  I suspect FSU and Bama would get it, but good luck to the guy trying to explain why head-to-head matters between Bama/Georgia but not Bama/Texas.

I think I've talked myself into believing that both FSU and Georgia losing could result in us getting the 3 seed, with Bama at 4.  It would allow them to include all conference champs while still touting the head-to-head advantage that they've promoted all season.

If that's the scenario, it should be simple. FSU gets one spot, Texas gets the other. Again, Texas beat Bama (in Tuscaloosa), who beat Georgia in the SEC Champ Game. I think the H2H will matter and, shockingly, the SEC gets (rightfully) left out for a change. Replace FSU if you want to set a precedent of leaving out an undefeated conference champ whose most important player is injured for the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

13-0 FSU

12-1 Texas

12-1 Bama

12-1 Oregon 

That wasn’t hard.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

1. FSU

2. Oregon

3. Texas

4. Bama

1. FSU

2. Oregon

3. Bama

4. Texas

Since we are in fantasy land, I won't complain about the CFP committee putting Bama over us with a win over UGA. I'd be happy to stomp FSU in the first round.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If that's the scenario, it should be simple. FSU gets one spot, Texas gets the other. Again, Texas beat Bama (in Tuscaloosa), who beat Georgia in the SEC Champ Game. I think the H2H will matter and, shockingly, the SEC gets (rightfully) left out for a change. Replace FSU if you want to set a precedent of leaving out an undefeated conference champ whose most important player is injured for the season.

Logically I agree with this, but I just refuse to believe that the committee would leave out the SEC.

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

they are guaranteed spots not seeds. Which is why the discussion will switch to seeding not getting in. 

I think this is the model. Personally, I'd give all the conference champs the top four or five auto-bids and then seed all the wild cards after that. Yes, you'll perhaps get a situation or two where a lesser team is seeded higher but I'm 100% in favor of rewarding conference champs first and foremost. That should be the first goal. I know we're about to enter the SEC and reap all the advantages that brings with it but I'm not in favor of a scenario where you wind up with four SEC teams seeded in the top eight or whatever you could get. For example, if we were to have a 12-team playoff this year we'd likely have both Michigan and Ohio State in the top 4. That shouldn't happen.

I think this is the model. Personally, I'd give all the conference champs the top four or five auto-bids and then seed all the wild cards after that. Yes, you'll perhaps get a situation or two where a lesser team is seeded higher but I'm 100% in favor of rewarding conference champs first and foremost. That should be the first goal. I know we're about to enter the SEC and reap all the advantages that brings with it but I'm not in favor of a scenario where you wind up with four SEC teams seeded in the top eight or whatever you could get. For example, if we were to have a 12-team playoff this year we'd likely have both Michigan and Ohio State in the top 4. That shouldn't happen.

Aren’t the top 4 conference champs the first round byes though? Or did that get scrapped?
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

This is what I like about Klatt. He's pretty much straight up about his opinions, and he doesn't have a problem owning his mistakes after the fact.

Same is true of Josh Pate, although he has some pretty annoying takes on SEC and particularly aggy. I think Late Kick and TexAgs are owned by the same people, so it's kinda understandable... but it's still pretty annoying.

Pate has been gargling Lucci's balls lately...

I'm laughing today at the amount of posts this past week on this thread for the 3 or 4 possible scenarios coming up this weekend. Thats what 14 years of wandering the desert will do. Like rats fighting over a crumb of food. This thread is our catharsis. 14 years of pent up demand all crashing down on 3 scenarios. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Not yet.
But it will be when we introduce this 12 team playoff. Then we'll see. It is not unheard of for some two loss team to be absolutely destroying people by the end of the season, but in the past it was too little too late.
Next year maybe it won't be.

So you want it be comparable?

The NFL has fewer teams with more balanced schedules.

Seeding will matter a ton. Who gets a bye, who gets a home game. That will matter more in college and will get scrutiny beyond what the NFL gets due to imbalanced schedules. So we’ll try harder to make it right.

21 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

image.thumb.png.a8d76ca71cdbf9abf44f8695bd97ff21.png

16 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

image.thumb.png.1ecbcc88d34f23d4ba303f18433ea06e.png

Roll tide keep the SEC out 😉

So Either Alabama or Oregon get the 1st round bye.  If that first scenario plays out I'm okay with them ranking Bama ahead of us so we can get the bye.  

Edited by chemHORN

3 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

So Either Alabama or Oregon get the 1st round bye.  If that first scenario plays out I'm okay with them ranking Bama ahead of us so we can get the bye.  

You know the system is screwed up, when Bama and Texas fans would argue the other team should be the higher seed. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You know the system is screwed up, when Bama and Texas fans would argue the other team should be the higher seed. 

"But y'all beat us already. You really should be ahead."

"No no, y'all play in the SEC man! And you just beat Georgia! Don't worry about it, we'll take the four seed..."

• Haha 2

Here is your rooting guide for this weekend in case you somehow don’t get it yet, which it appears there are a few that don’t.

In order of importance. 1 is obviously non-negotiable. Then any combination of 2 or 3 should get the job done.

1. Texas win

2. FSU loss

3. Bama win

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

Klatt gets a lot of shit, but I love that he isn't afraid to put his honest opinion out there for better or worse. Will be Interesting to see the swing in the media as far as pro Texas sentiment goes in any of these chaos scenarios. 

I remember him commenting how in the 2005 season Texas destroyed him and Colorade in the Big 12 Championship game 70-3 and he mentioned a few times he was knocked into next week.  He wasn't bitter, in fact, he was in awe of  Vince Young and Texas.  Straight shooter.  LOL that game looked like someone was playing Madden 2005

Edited by NashLonghorn

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Id give my left pinky toe to get Texas into the playoffs this year, but a 13-0 conference-winning FSU should get the nod over any one loss teams, period

crazy to argue otherwise this year

Joel is saying that screwing Texas out of a head to head win is more egregious than screwing FSU who is going to be chopped liver for whoever they play. I do not think he was advocating for it. He was just making a point. 

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Id give my left pinky toe to get Texas into the playoffs this year, but a 13-0 conference-winning FSU should get the nod over any one loss teams, period

crazy to argue otherwise this year

I mean, 99% of people, whether on this thread or in media, are saying exactly that—if FSU wins Saturday they are (and should be) in. 

At the same time, the same 99% of people are saying a.) FSU isn’t one of the 4 best teams with their QB out and b.) they are going to get murdered and a more competitive, deserving team would be better. That doesn’t mean they are saying FSU shouldn’t be in if they win.

Both can be true at the same time. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Well since you know it’s kind of the rules that happens then yeah it’s gonna happen lol. 

I'm just saying that with that many there is a good chance the conf champs are in the top 12 ranking wise so you don't have a conf champ come from outside the top 12 often(stealing spots like in the NCAA tourney)

Just wait.  In a few days time when we find out we are playing FSU in the first round, we will all be booking our hotels in Houston.

Jokes on you, I already live in Houston.

And no, my extra bedrooms will not have a Surly discount.  In fact, there's a degenerate Surly poster tax.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean, 99% of people, whether on this thread or in media, are saying exactly that—if FSU wins Saturday they are (and should be) in. 

At the same time, the same 99% of people are saying a.) FSU isn’t one of the 4 best teams with their QB out and b.) they are going to get murdered and a more competitive, deserving team would be better. That doesn’t mean they are saying FSU shouldn’t be in if they win.

Both can be true at the same time. 

It keeps coming back to "best team" vs. "most deserving team".  FSU is clearly not one of the 4 best teams without their QB, but very deserving as an undefeated P5 champ.  I could live with the committee putting a priority over "deserving" over "best" (or the other way around), but it's maddening that they have no consistency from team to team.  Oregon is clearly the least deserving of the 1 loss teams, but the committee views them as the best.  I can live with that, Oregon has won the eye test.  But if you want to use "best" as the main criteria, it should be applied to all contenders and FSU should be out.      

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, blutow said:

It keeps coming back to "best team" vs. "most deserving team".  FSU is clearly not one of the 4 best teams without their QB, but very deserving as an undefeated P5 champ.  I could live with the committee putting a priority over "deserving" over "best" (or the other way around), but it's maddening that they have no consistency from team to team.  Oregon is clearly the least deserving of the 1 loss teams, but the committee views them as the best.  I can live with that, Oregon has won the eye test.  But if you want to use "best" as the main criteria, it should be applied to all contenders and FSU should be out.      

FSU wasnt one of the four best teams with their QB healthy. I definitely dont think they are even a top 10 team anymore with him out. Maybe #20-25.

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

FSU wasnt one of the four best teams with their QB healthy. I definitely dont think they are even a top 10 team anymore with him out. Maybe #20-25.

Let's hope Louisville comes in motivated.  I haven't seen them play this year, but they have won some games.  If they win, they will be losing a cut of the $6m conference payout the ACC would have received w/ FSU making the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, blutow said:

Let's hope Louisville comes in motivated.  I haven't seen them play this year, but they have won some games.  If they win, they will be losing a cut of the $6m conference payout the ACC would have received w/ FSU making the playoffs. 

Louisville embarrassed neuter-dumb 33-20 this season, and it wasn't that close.... was 33-13 until the dohmers got a garbage TD with 1:35 left.

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

people don't realize how bad the ACC is this year since Clempson, Clempson'd.

The same can be said for the PAC12 in my opinion.  A few were ranked high to start the season.  Nobody in the Pac 12 played anybody in OOC play and they won all of them giving way more of them lofty rankings than deserved. (Oregon Beat Tech by 1 score and probably should've lost that game). Then they just played each other with those lofty rankings and made it look like they were good.  I said it earlier in this thread but I think we will find out in the playoff that the Pac12 were frauds this year.  

Edit: Utah barely slid by a bad Baylor team too. 

Edited by chemHORN
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

The same can be said for the PAC12 in my opinion.  A few were ranked high to start the season.  Nobody in the Pac 12 played anybody in OOC play and they won all of them giving way more of them lofty rankings than deserved. (Oregon Beat Tech by 1 score and probably should've lost that game). Then they just played each other with those lofty rankings and made it look like they were good.  I said it earlier in this thread but I think we will find out in the playoff that the Pac12 were frauds this year.  

I just looked it up the only 3 ranked matchups (at the time) they played out of conference were Washington State vs Wisconsin, Colorado vs TCU, and Stanford vs Notre Dame.   The only teams on the entire PAC-12's OOC that are still currently ranked are Oklahoma State and Notre Dame.  

Edited by chemHORN

2 hours ago, chemHORN said:

True. I remember pulling for Oregon to win against Tech just for Yormark spite. That was dumb. 

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]