THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I kinda respect ESPN for running a 4 hour show and putting the part people watch in minute 20.  Don’t understand it but I respect it.  

They kind of have to if they are really going to keep the final 4 a secret until the reveal.  All the other bowls have to get in line behind those choices before they can make theirs (for the most part, of course some real low level bowls can grab participants but the bigger ones have to see who goes CFP and Non-CFP NY6 first)

58 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Its not the SEC it's Alabama and it's not like they didn't prove them right all those years

If you keep getting mulligans, you will start sinking shots.

Saban's great but he's been really lucky, starting with Colt's injury.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

When I go back through my thoughts and predictions, I had this scenario almost right with one major exception.

I predicted undefeated FSU could potentially be out, but with a low probability. That’s because I kept thinking the committee would have Bama passing Texas because of SEC bias, even though it didn’t make sense.

I felt Texas vs FSU for the last spot would be iffy. I figured they would struggle to put Texas in over FSU.  But once I realized that Texas looked so dominant against OSU that they would easily stay ahead of Bama, it was obvious that Bama would win out over FSU after how bad FSU looked last night.

In other words, that terrific performance yesterday by Texas might have been what cemented Texas into the 3rd spot and thus the playoff, keeping committee bias from screwing Texas over. Cheers Sark. 

That September win came through for us imo. There is no way in hell the committee was gonna leave the SECSECSEC out. Once Bama became the SEC representative, they were gonna have a hard time justifying letting them in while leaving us out. 

FSU got fucked. Big-time. I’m a known Aggie and if you forced me to bite the bullet, I’d have said this is the proper slate: 

1. UM

2. UDub

3. FSU

4. Texas by virtue of H2H.

It physically hurts to type that but it’s true. 

If Georgia had won like everyone thought they would, then there’s no convo. Four undefeated conference champs, four slots. FSU got punished because Georgia lost and that’s a cowardly joke. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Norvell should spend the month coming up with 3 different packages for 2nd string, 3rd string QB, and wildcat.  
Ga may have a tough time with that D.  

That D is going to be exhausted when it’s on the field all of the time due to the inept offense

Early line is UGA -12.. part of me thinks they destroy FSU..but I’d be hesitant to how much UGA wants to be there
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the ultimate "neither team wants to be there" Super Bowl

FSU would probably get a national title from one of those computers or obscure polls if they won. Then they could put it on their stadium if they are like A&M.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Now that is a scary, yet accurate, thought

i think it's going to go the other way. After an undefeated or 1 loss regular season, just play the backups in the CCG. Who cares if you drop from a 4 seed to a 7 seed?

Edited by n64ra

3 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well Phillips shouldn't have vetoed the 12 team playoff!  We would have had one if Phillips, Warren and Kliavcoff didn't stop the expansion for a year.

The guidelines say nothing about being an undefeated Power 5 conference champion. If you have a valid argument you don't have to throw in something that is false to make your argument look valid. The guidelines are against them.

• The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

FSU got fucked. Big-time. I’m a known Aggie and if you forced me to bite the bullet, I’d have said this is the proper slate: 

1. UM

2. UDub

3. FSU

4. Texas by virtue of H2H.

It physically hurts to type that but it’s true. 

If Georgia had won like everyone thought they would, then there’s no convo. Four undefeated conference champs, four slots. FSU got punished because Georgia lost and that’s a cowardly joke. 

I hear you, I would be pissed if I was an FSU fan too.  Luckily I’m not!

Just now, Valmy77 said:

FSU would probably get a national title from one of those computers or obscure polls if they won. Then they could put it on their stadium.

FSU could end up being the lone undefeated team.  If that happens and they beat Ga. the AP will give them the title.

Ga may have some opt outs but it is quite possible FSU has none.  

If we don't win the title that would be an awesome scenario.

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This feels like Christmas 1977.  I had asked my parents for a Millenium Falcon toy because Star Wars had rocked my world that year.  And they didn't deliver.   I got some lame knock off from Space :1999.

This better not be like 1977.

This is definitely not like 1977.   Hook 'em!

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

They did get unlucky that Florida sucked and LSU was kinda average this year.  They scheduled 2 normally very good P5 teams.

With Clemson flailing the ACC became the worst conf by far this year.

their SOS was 55 for a reason

SOS per Sagarin

Texas #4

Washington #5

Alabama #12

Michigan #56

FSU #61

Georgia #46

Ohio St. #36

Oregon #25

(can't list this without acknowledging Sagarin still has Oregon #2, Penn St. #5, Washington #9 and FSU #10)

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

FSU could end up being the lone undefeated team.  If that happens and they beat Ga. the AP will give them the title.

Ga may have some opt outs but it is quite possible FSU has none.  

If we don't win the title that would be an awesome scenario.

The AP will not give FSU the title over Bama or Texas. The two extra games (in the playoffs and thus two top 4 wins) pretty much killed the chance for a split championship.  

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

1 minute ago, bullet said:

SOS per Sagarin

Texas #4

Washington #5

Alabama #12

Michigan #56

FSU #61

Georgia #46

Ohio St. #36

Oregon #25

(can't list this without acknowledging Sagarin still has Oregon #2, Penn St. #5, Washington #9 and FSU #10)

Sagarin is absolute shit.  Moose, front, etc.

Edited by Beau Vine

I was pretty sure we were getting in:

1. SEC presence in CFP is an axiom, because, well, they have dominated it.

2. Our Alabama win sets the floor high due to said bias (point 1)

3. Hence, I wanted Alabama to win; we would lose our floor otherwise.

If Georgia had won, the committee wouldn't have put us as #4 because FSU looked bad (current reasoning). This rationalization disappears when SEC is already in.

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The AP will not give FSU the title over Bama or Texas. The two extra games (in the playoffs and thus two top 4 wins) pretty much killed the chance for a split championship.  

Especially when UGa beats them 9-3 in the Orange Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The AP will not give FSU the title over Bama or Texas. The two extra games pretty much killed the chance for a split championship.  

If they somehow beat Georgia somebody will name them national champs. That's something to play for.

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That D is going to be exhausted when it’s on the field all of the time due to the inept offense

Early line is UGA -12.. part of me thinks they destroy FSU..but I’d be hesitant to how much UGA wants to be there

OMG.....this shit again?

But, to your point, I'm not touching this game. FSU should be really motivated, but how many of their players are NFL-eligible who decide to sit it out?

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Headed to the gym. If I avoid dropping a 45 lb weight on my foot that means we're the 3 seed and Alabama is 4th.

Back from the gym. Happy to report zero dropped weights. Now to read 20 pages to catch up.

If not mentioned already we need a list of the clueless, dispshit analists who predicted Texas would be left out of the top 4. So far I've got Kelley Ford, Stu Mandel and Helobious. Anyone else?

21 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

So based on what the committee decided had Georgia won, Texas would still be in. But I honestly don’t think that is true. They would have went with the 4 undefeated conference champions. The final result happened because they couldn’t stand to leave the SEC out. Bunch of pussies

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Over Texas? I doubt it, but probably more likely than over Bama.

Yes. Alabama winning put BOTH Texas and Alabama into the playoff.

Had Georgia beaten Bama then our win over them doesn't look nearly as good and they likely let in FSU.

That said, the committee fucked up by not dropping FSU out of the top 4 when Travis was injured. They lead them to believe that they were in with a win. 

I watched a clip of Collin Cowherd (don't regularly watch is show but wanted to get his reaction on Utoob) just made a good point - this is like when Cincinnati lost Kenyon Martin for the season in the CUSA tournament in 2000. Cincy had been #1 all season then was given a 2 seed after Martin was lost for the season with a broken leg. 

The problem for FSU as they talk about the precedents this breaks and the bad precedent it sets is that while they may be right about the first part they are not about the second. This is the last year of a 4 team CFP, next year they would be in under same circumstances.  None of this set any precedent and that is why the committee was cool with doing it to them.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, n64ra said:

i think it's going to go the other way. After an undefeated or 1 loss regular season, just play the backups in the CCG. Who cares if you drop from a 4 seed to a 7 seed?

Everyone would care. That's the difference in having a first round bye and also not being conference champions which still matters.