THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It would’ve been a tough pill to swallow but UT would’ve swallowed it, knowing they were going to be part of ESPN’s favorite conference going forward.

Not really?

Maybe you are forgetting the previous 14 years? Granted we would have not been happy about it, especially if Bama got in ahead of us, but the goal this year was the win the fucking conference finally. And we did that. If we got shipped off to the Cotton Bowl sure that would be less good but ultimately it would have been alright. If we didn't like it, well maybe we shouldn't have lost to OU? 

Of course now that we are in the playoff, well now we want to win it.

The bitter fucking pill was the LAST FUCKING 14 YEARS. Not going 12-1 you idiot.

Texas fans would scream that it was totally unfair to rank Alabama ahead of them since Texas won the head-to-head matchup, all while forgetting that 99.9% of them thought TCU got screwed out of the playoff in 2014 when in fact it was Baylor whom they should’ve been arguing for since they’d defeated TCU head-to-head that year. 

Ok...again did you see what sort of season we had in 2014? When you are shitty you really don't care about much else besides yourself and how to turn it around. Being a goddamn fuckiing spoiled OSU fan whose worst season since 1930 was that one time you went 8-3 in 1985 or whatever you have no idea what that is like. Your team won the Goddamn National TItle in 2014 and you are bitter at the school who went 6-7? Fuck off.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, wood said:

No, I meant Cal's bowl game, not ours.

You are right. I was conflating two separate incidents.

Kansas State was heading to the BCS Title game before they got upset by A&M in 1998 and sunk all the way to the Alamo Bowl (and lost)

And Cal having the computers turn on them and get sent to the Holiday Bowl in 2004 (and lost)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

You are right. I was conflating two separate incidents.

Kansas State was heading to the BCS Title game before they got upset by A&M in 1998 and sunk all the way to the Alamo Bowl (and lost)

And Cal having the computers turn on them and get sent to the Holiday Bowl in 2004 (and lost)

No worries. I can't keep all that shit straight either. I am consistently blown away by some people's amazing recall of past games and seasons in incredible detail here, or past races and whole seasons on racing boards. Simply stunning  imho.

40 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Cal wanted the Rose bowl if I remember and were relegated - hence AR's ass showing

Yep.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wrong. If Jordan Travis had remained healthy then undefeated FSU would’ve been in. They would’ve been ranked ahead of 1-loss Texas. And what would’ve really chapped your gears was that 1-loss Alabama would’ve gotten the 4th slot by virtue of having a better loss than Texas had. The committee has demonstrated in the past that the quality of a loss counts against a team more than the quality of a win benefits them. Plus given the history of the playoff, not to mention both the playoff’s and the SEC’s partnership with ESPN, a 1-loss SEC champ isn’t going to be left out. That’s part of why Texas is joining the SEC, right? It would’ve been a tough pill to swallow but UT would’ve swallowed it, knowing they were going to be part of ESPN’s favorite conference going forward.

Texas fans would scream that it was totally unfair to rank Alabama ahead of them since Texas won the head-to-head matchup, all while forgetting that 99.9% of them thought TCU got screwed out of the playoff in 2014 when in fact it was Baylor whom they should’ve been arguing for since they’d defeated TCU head-to-head that year. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but when has the committee “demonstrated in the past that the quality of a loss counts against them more than the quality of a win benefits” a team when head-to-head is involved in the calculus?

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Not really?

Maybe you are forgetting the previous 14 years? Granted we would have not been happy about it, especially if Bama got in ahead of us, but the goal this year was the win the fucking conference finally. And we did that. If we got shipped off to the Cotton Bowl sure that would be less good but ultimately it would have been alright. If we didn't like it, well maybe we shouldn't have lost to OU? 

Of course now that we are in the playoff, well now we want to win it.

The bitter fucking pill was the LAST FUCKING 14 YEARS. Not going 12-1 you idiot.

Ok...again did you see what sort of season we had in 2014? When you are shitty you really don't care about much else besides yourself and how to turn it around. Being a goddamn fuckiing spoiled OSU fan whose worst season since 1930 was that one time you went 8-3 in 1985 or whatever you have no idea what that is like. Your team won the Goddamn National TItle in 2014 and you are bitter at the school who went 6-7? Fuck off.

Troof. I've paid far more attention to other schools' games this year in CFB than I have since 2009 and 2005 before that.

And yeah nobody was giving a fuck about Rapelor or TCU getting screwed out of a playoff, and I certainly can't imagine many people pulling for fuck Rapelor over TCU.

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wrong. If Jordan Travis had remained healthy then undefeated FSU would’ve been in. They would’ve been ranked ahead of 1-loss Texas. And what would’ve really chapped your gears was that 1-loss Alabama would’ve gotten the 4th slot by virtue of having a better loss than Texas had. The committee has demonstrated in the past that the quality of a loss counts against a team more than the quality of a win benefits them. Plus given the history of the playoff, not to mention both the playoff’s and the SEC’s partnership with ESPN, a 1-loss SEC champ isn’t going to be left out. That’s part of why Texas is joining the SEC, right? It would’ve been a tough pill to swallow but UT would’ve swallowed it, knowing they were going to be part of ESPN’s favorite conference going forward.

Why is this guy such a dumbass?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Troof. I've paid far more attention to other schools' games this year in CFB than I have since 2009 and 2005 before that.

And yeah nobody was giving a fuck about Rapelor or TCU getting screwed out of a playoff, and I certainly can't imagine many people pulling for fuck Rapelor over TCU.

I'm sure there were because at the time we didn't know they were a rapin' 

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No they wouldn't have. 

Watch this (this was before the Travis injury) and get back to me. They were going to fuck FSU the whole time. They were never going to get in whether he was injured or not. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Horndog said:

Not too many Texas fans cared one way or the other between Baylor and TCU.

As I recall, we laughed at both and then laughed some more at this stupid "one true champion" bullshit that crowned 2 champions that year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As I recall, we laughed at both and then laughed some more at this stupid "one true champion" bullshit that crowned 2 champions that year.

It was pretty hilarious watching the Big 12 cost itself the chance to be in the 1st CFP by doing that instead of just naming a winner.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'm sure there were because at the time we didn't know they were a rapin' 

Really? Most Texas fans I know have hated Baylor long before it became known as Rapelor. Why hate 'em just for the rapin' & the coverup when there's so much more?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Really? Most Texas fans I know have hated Baylor long before it became known as Rapelor. Why hate 'em just for the rapin' & the coverup when there's so much more?

I've hated 'em ever since watching those hypocritical bastages dance on the Longhorn at midfield after the game in 1989.

And if that doesn't get you going, there's always Grant Teaff's giftwrapped last game against us in 1992.

Indeed, SO many reasons to hate them.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I've hated 'em ever since watching those hypocritical bastages dance on the Longhorn at midfield after the game in 1989.

And if that doesn't get you going, there's always Grant Teaff's giftwrapped last game against us in 1992.

Indeed, SO many reasons to hate them.

Yep ... and the murdering, and the animal torture and killing, etc, etc ...

If there was ever a program or even a whole athletic department that should have gotten the death penalty, it's Baylor's.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No, FSU would have been ahead of Alabama. 

Alabama took FSU’s spot, not Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Please post links with statements or actions made by the committee in the past that support "quality of loss" is more important than the results of a head to head.

59 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No, FSU would have been ahead of Alabama. 

Alabama took FSU’s spot, not Texas.

That's right.  We were a lock as soon as Bama beat UGA.

Which is why I was befuddled by some of the waterheads here rooting for UGA in that game.  

We needed one of UGA, FSU or Michigan to lose to guarantee our spot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

FUCK YEAH! We’re the BEST at throwing it behind the line of scrimmage…

The Texas screen game has been lethal. Screen to Brooks vs Washington got around 40 yards for a TD last year. Just get the ball to speed in space and let them work. This isnt GDGD's screen game. 

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The Texas screen game has been lethal. Screen to Brooks vs Washington got around 40 yards for a TD last year. Just get the ball to speed in space and let them work. This isnt GDGD's screen game. 

Blue is going to house one against Washington. 

On 11/29/2023 at 12:09 PM, Dahobbs said:

I'll bet $100,000 right now that if FSU or Michigan loses, and Texas and Alabama wins, we are in over Georgia. There is zero chance we are left out for Georgia if there is one spot at play. 

On 11/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, Jewish Wang said:

If one loses, not both, and you provide the right parameters, and lower the amount, I’ll absolutely take that bet

On 11/29/2023 at 12:18 PM, Dahobbs said:

Great, $1,000 work for you?

I win if:

• winners are Bama, Texas, Michigan, Washington and Louisville, and then Texas is in the playoffs and Georgia isn't. 
  • winners are Bama, Texas, Michigan, Oregon and Louisville, and then Texas is in the playoffs and Georgia isn't. 
  • winners are Bama, Texas, Iowa, Oregon and FSU, and then Texas is in the playoffs and Georgia isn't. 
  • winners are Bama, Texas, Iowa, Washington and FSU, and then Texas is in the playoffs and Georgia isn't. 

You win if:

• winners are Bama, Texas, Michigan, Washington and Louisville, and then Georgia is in the playoffs and Texas isn't. 
  • winners are Bama, Texas, Michigan, Oregon and Louisville, and then Georgia is in the playoffs and Texas isn't. 
  • winners are Bama, Texas, Iowa, Oregon and FSU, and then Georgia is in the playoffs and Texas isn't.  
  • winners are Bama, Texas, Iowa, Washington and FSU, and then Georgia is in the playoffs and Texas isn't. 

It is too bad Jewish Wang got banned before he could agree to and then welch on our bet. 

weird little tidbit i just thought about...someone check me on this but my recollection is that since colt beat ohio state in the fiesta bowl for the 2008 season, texas has not played a bowl game against a team that was not from the sec or pac12.

doesn't bode well for michigan in the semifinal. ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Any bets on the end-of-season rankings? My guess for the Top 10:

1. Michigan (15-0)
  2. Washington (14-1)
  3. Georgia (13-1)
  4. Texas (12-2)
  5. Alabama (12-2)
  6. Florida State (13-1)
  7. Oregon (12-2)
  8. Missouri (11-2)
  9. Ole Miss (11-2)
  10. Ohio State (11-2)

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Any bets on the end-of-season rankings? My guess for the Top 10:

1. Michigan (15-0)
  2. Washington (14-1)
  3. Georgia (13-1)
  4. Texas (12-2)
  5. Alabama (12-2)
  6. Florida State (13-1)
  7. Oregon (12-2)
  8. Missouri (11-2)
  9. Ole Miss (11-2)
  10. Ohio State (11-2)

image.png.148bd0ccde92eb51eb205d82634bc9a1.png

3 in final AP

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, statsman said:

#3 it is. 

I think it is dumb to rerank teams outside the CFP, based on bowl game results. Non-CFP games are exhibitions, pure and simple. 

This. The initial CFP rankings proved to be correct.

UM>UW>Texas>Bama>UGA>>>>>FSU