Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Well, no. If we are in a zone D, and every single DB and LB is at least 10-15 yards off the LOS, that's an alignment problem.

I went back and found the play. It was 4th and 6 in the last minute of the game. (I might have been drinking, so my recount above isn't perfect.) The D is in Zone, all at least 15 deep and the receive runs a 15-yd curl right in front of them all... on 4th and 6!

Blackwell was standing right next to the guy who caught the ball as the play was developing and then chose to drift 5 yards the opposite direction to his right. Was a bad play by him. We had the other hook routes defended fairly well.Screenshot2023-11-07at9_56_57AM.thumb.png.e9f7f98b3e90ba4fde26f80edecc5907.png

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You realize the guy was talking about the drive when it was 27-7, right? Why not show those? I have no idea what they'd reveal, but that would be helpful to confirming or debunking his point than showing screengrabs when the game had transformed.

To clarify, I was saying that I felt frustrated by the frequency of that soft coverage, from that score through the end of the game.

I've already posted again about the specific play that was on my mind.

11 minutes ago, Rv8riveter said:

This. Plus the kicker for me is his reaction to the interception where he gave up trying to make the tackle. Gave up. Can't remember if KS or BYU. 

Yeah, I watched him do it too. I don't get the fanboying for the guy, but it's been a thing since Sarkisian showed up and started recruiting him. People have told me, with some regard to NIL retention, that he's gone in the offseason because a lot of schools have been recruiting him through back channels. My reaction is "cool. good luck to him."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

This. Plus the kicker for me is his reaction to the interception where he gave up trying to make the tackle. Gave up. Can't remember if KS or BYU. 
It was BYU. JB was actually behind MM and blew past him to make the shoestring tackle and avoid the pick 6.

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Blackwell was standing right next to the guy who caught the ball as the play was developing and then chose to drift 5 yards the opposite direction to his right. Was a bad play by him. We had the other hook routes defended fairly well.Screenshot2023-11-07at9_56_57AM.thumb.png.e9f7f98b3e90ba4fde26f80edecc5907.png

Klein ran a lot of all curls on us in the second half.  They picked up that we are terrible in zone, especially the linebackers.  Multiple times we had two guys cover the same receiver or like in this case, take false steps for no apparent reason.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Man, I thought we were toast after they picked up that first. I turned to my dad and said "that's the ball game and I'm switching to bourbon." Still can't believe we pulled it out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, I watched him do it too. I don't get the fanboying for the guy, but it's been a thing since Sarkisian showed up and started recruiting him. People have told me, with some regard to NIL retention, that he's gone in the offseason because a lot of schools have been recruiting him through back channels. My reaction is "cool. good luck to him."

Yeah, honestly, that could arguably simplify things for the better. I have no insight into the thought process for Ewers or his camp, but on the field it’s clear he could use another year in college. Maybe Murphy departing allows Ewers to come back without running Manning off, who knows he is the clear cut, not even going to have a real competition heir apparent if he sits for another year. Then he can start a couple years himself.

Or maybe that’s fanfic. But I wouldn’t be losing sleep over a Murphy transfer at this point regardless.
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He said he spent the rest of the game screaming at the corners because of 15 yard cushions, so it sure seemed like it a generalized statement for the rest of the game and not just one drive. But here are the first 3 plays after we went up 27-7 along with the alignment on the TD with the bad missed tackles.

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_48_10AM.thumb.png.fdee2b52c764e00e5af886ec5d312f0b.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_48_40AM.thumb.png.d60dffb30e7460054633fbde1a3128ee.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_49_13AM.thumb.png.d4b808b9551df13da483bc090ba30ce1.pngScreenshot2023-11-07at9_51_07AM.thumb.png.7e521e66be6c48e59f3db5115b25519c.png

Our offense and special teams let kansas state back in the fuckin game, not the defense haha. It's absurd that you even have to post pictures to prove that point. Their first TD was only a 42 yard drive off a blocked punt. Their third TD was all of 12 yards after a fumble. Their 4th TD was a 32 yard pass off another fumble. The defense also stopped their 2 point conversion and held strong on that OT goal line stand.  I mean PK certainly can accept a lot of shit over the years but this game should not be why. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He said he spent the rest of the game screaming at the corners because of 15 yard cushions, so it sure seemed like it a generalized statement for the rest of the game and not just one drive. But here are the first 3 plays after we went up 27-7 along with the alignment on the TD with the bad missed tackles.

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_48_10AM.thumb.png.fdee2b52c764e00e5af886ec5d312f0b.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_48_40AM.thumb.png.d60dffb30e7460054633fbde1a3128ee.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_49_13AM.thumb.png.d4b808b9551df13da483bc090ba30ce1.pngScreenshot2023-11-07at9_51_07AM.thumb.png.7e521e66be6c48e59f3db5115b25519c.png

The corner is going to bail in the second picture.  Turn rage back on.

21 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Our offense and special teams let kansas state back in the fuckin game, not the defense haha. It's absurd that you even have to post pictures to prove that point. Their first TD was only a 42 yard drive off a blocked punt. Their third TD was all of 12 yards after a fumble. Their 4th TD was a 32 yard pass off another fumble. The defense also stopped their 2 point conversion and held strong on that OT goal line stand.  I mean PK certainly can accept a lot of shit over the years but this game should not be why. 

I think we had 6 3 and outs? Defense gave the offense every chance to choke that game out half way through the second. We just stepped all over our dicks. 

• Hook 'Em 5

43 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, honestly, that could arguably simplify things for the better. I have no insight into the thought process for Ewers or his camp, but on the field it’s clear he could use another year in college. Maybe Murphy departing allows Ewers to come back without running Manning off, who knows he is the clear cut, not even going to have a real competition heir apparent if he sits for another year. Then he can start a couple years himself.

Or maybe that’s fanfic. But I wouldn’t be losing sleep over a Murphy transfer at this point regardless.

Ewers is NFL bound, Murphy is transferring or riding the pine next year...To quote Gerry Hamilton, "They aren't selling MM Jerseys, they are selling QE and Arch Manning Jerseys".

IMHO, Murphy is gone, we should thank him and let him leave, his future isn't here without a serious injury or Sark quitting or getting fired. He ain't getting fired anytime soon.

Edited by Longhornlove

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Ewers is NFL bound, Murphy is transferring or riding the pine next year...To quote Gerry Hamilton, "They aren't selling MM Jerseys, they are selling QE and Arch Manning Jerseys".

IMHO, Murphy is gone, we should thank him and let him leave, his future isn't here without a serious injury or Sark quitting or getting fired. He ain't getting fired anytime soon.

Agree with all though not sure Ewers is still a first rounder.  If I had to bet money I think Arch is our starter in 24

On 11/6/2023 at 11:26 AM, closetojumping said:

No. Stop.

He's had sciatica. If he can't scramble, at all, in a P5 football game as a QB, then don't fucking play him. Sorry for the back pain, but either get your shit together and take some meds and get out there, or just say you can't go.

I don't know if this is verified or not - but it certainly makes sense.  I was wondering during the second half if MM was hurt, and I didn't see anything that was obvious in that game.  Then it hit me - if he was in pain before the game they would've given him a muscle relaxer like Flexeril, or a pain injection of some type.  It would've worn off during the game with all the physical activity, but it would've been too early to give another injection at halftime.  At that point the trainers could've done a massage, ice bath, or used a TENS unit on him.  None of those would last through the rest of the game.

The bad part though is back pain never really does away.  Even if you have surgery to fix the issue it will come back eventually.  Source - I had a C5-7 fusion in 2000, and my tailbone (which was crushed while in the military) was removed in the 20-teens.  Back (and neck) pain sucks bad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Agree with all though not sure Ewers is still a first rounder.  If I had to bet money I think Arch is our starter in 24

1st or 2nd I would lean toward second right now. If he comes back, Texas gets healthy and he goes on a tear, he could easily be a 1st rounder. Richardson(Florida) was fucking terrible last year and went early first.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cardale Jones rode the pine for multiple years,  came in as third choice QB and won three games in a row to championship.   If he had come out that year,  he probably would have gone in the first couple rounds:

"He would have easily been the third QB drafted," Bleacher Report NFL Draft Lead Analyst Matt Miller said of Jones' prospects in a draft that ultimately saw quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota selected first and second overall

He came back,  got benched after week 7.  Got drafted in the 4th round anyway.  The NFL will always take a flyer on a QB with a pulse.   They are like lottery tickets - you gotta buy one to win,  but expect disappointment. 

I don't think Quinn is afraid of beating out a RS Freshman Arch Manning with zero starts after he's had two seasons in Sark's system.  However it doesn't matter.  Quinn is gone.  I hope he gets first round money,  but he'll go in first two rounds simply based on arm talent.  Wish him well.  

Edited by TheAuditor
stuff
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't know if it's going to be Ewers' decision to make, unless he wants to risk being in a legit QB battle with a guy with the last name Manning. 

Murphy is of course gone. 

Is it possible for Quinn to transfer a 2nd time and play next year (for a real team and not a G5 or lower)?  If he could transfer I could see USC going after him for a year.  I can't keep track of the transfer rules anymore.

3 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

Is it possible for Quinn to transfer a 2nd time and play next year (for a real team and not a G5 or lower)?  If he could transfer I could see USC going after him for a year.  I can't keep track of the transfer rules anymore.

He can't transfer and play next year if he didn't graduate. that is my understanding anyway.

Just now, Longhornlove said:

He can't transfer and play next year if he didn't graduate. that is my understanding anyway.

Then that limits his options.  If he stays to try to grade out higher he creates a QB controversy that effects Arch and recruits (MM is likely gone anyway).  If Arch sticks around he likely beats QE out sometime next year - depending on how stubborn Sark is.  If QE stays and is NOT the game 1 starter that could end up with QE grading worse than if he left this year.  I see nothing good happening (for Quinn) if he stays this year.

My guess is Quinn starts the rest of the games this year and leaves.  That gives him the best chance to go in the first 2 rounds, and depending on what he does the last x number of games could bump him up over a couple of the other QBs declaring.

Quinn is in the exact same situation he was in his Jr year in HS. Got hurt. Sat out a bunch of games. SLC was good enough to beat teams in district without him. He came back and ran them all the way to title game before they ran into Westlake buzz saw (he still dropped 351 in that game) and then he bounced on his Sr year.

If he can come anywhere close to replicating that success his history would say he gone.

Back to more relevant shit, Josh Hoover will start for TCU this weekend unless Sonny fuckery is afoot. 

Morris is a worse passer, but The QB run is something that would concern me if he played. 
The pass rush is a bigger factor with the reduced mobility of Hoover too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Back to more relevant shit, Josh Hoover will start for TCU this weekend unless Sonny fuckery is afoot. 

Morris is a worse passer, but The QB run is something that would concern me if he played. 
The pass rush is a bigger factor with the reduced mobility of Hoover too. 

Hoover sucks.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

Then that limits his options.  If he stays to try to grade out higher he creates a QB controversy that effects Arch and recruits (MM is likely gone anyway).  If Arch sticks around he likely beats QE out sometime next year - depending on how stubborn Sark is.  If QE stays and is NOT the game 1 starter that could end up with QE grading worse than if he left this year.  I see nothing good happening (for Quinn) if he stays this year.

My guess is Quinn starts the rest of the games this year and leaves.  That gives him the best chance to go in the first 2 rounds, and depending on what he does the last x number of games could bump him up over a couple of the other QBs declaring.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

The amount of stupidity in this thread is outstanding. No one is fucking transferring and Quinn is 100% going to the NFL after this year. No one gives a fuck about your national championship in the pros ask any of the Alabama players who went to play for belichick. There’s a funny podcast sound bite about it from Danny Amendola. If you are graded in the first 2 rounds you go. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Since the Briles offense is based on simple reads and counting the box, I'm interested to see if we show some light boxes that would trigger a run and then take our chances with our D-line and Ford.

I think what you're describing is the 3-3-5 three high safety look that a lot of the conference already runs. Most notably ISU and TCU. 

So they may be familiar with the concept. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I got negged from one of your favorite- a cloak room poster- for saying that yesterday- that I welcome him headed to the portal. Bet you don't catch that stray. 

Sark made a comment in the last week that has stuck with me, and now bothers me, big time  

He said he wants to play much tighter coverage at the line of scrimmage, but that his corners are too uncomfortable and keep laying back several yards. WTF?

What coach just lets their corners do what makes them comfortable, rather than what is required? Tell those pussies to bump and run at the line of scrimmage or sit their ass down. Sooner or later someone will step up and compete. They have multiple four star corners. It’s not like they’re scrubs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Sark made a comment in the last week that has stuck with me, and now bothers me, big time  

He said he wants to play much tighter coverage at the line of scrimmage, but that his corners are too uncomfortable and keep laying back several yards. WTF?

What coach just lets their corners do what makes them comfortable, rather than what is required? Tell those pussies to bump and run at the line of scrimmage or sit their ass down. Sooner or later someone will step up and compete. They have multiple four star corners. It’s not like they’re scrubs. 

I dont mind the off coverage as much as most, but what kill me is they play off and bail.. If they played at 5 and played more flat-footed, I would be OK with it.. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hope he has fun playing out the string at Fresno State or wherever. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Terrance Brooks is doing what he's coached to do, I know that much. His father coached him to be a bully at the position who plays up on the LOS. What would that guy know, right? Anyway, he's made his view clear to some folks that he doesn't understand what in the fuck they are teaching or trying to do at CB. 

The Texas secondary does not lack talent. There are problems with how the personnel is being managed, what they're being asked to do, and how that is being coordinated with the front seven. If it doesn't get addressed this offseason in some form, I'll be surprised and disappointed. 

His dad expressed the usage concerns last year. Had some pretty direct convos during the bowl practices with certain members of the defensive staff. 

Manny Muhammad’s camp feels the same way. They were skeptical of Joseph from the jump and not really liking the soft zones versus playing man. That was a point of emphasis during that recruitment. 

Not sure if we need a new DC or changes in the secondary coaches. But there some disconnect. No way we change the DC so Sark got a decision to make in regards to Joseph and Gideon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Terrance Brooks is doing what he's coached to do, I know that much. His father coached him to be a bully at the position who plays up on the LOS. What would that guy know, right? Anyway, he's made his view clear to some folks that he doesn't understand what in the fuck they are teaching or trying to do at CB. 

The Texas secondary does not lack talent. There are problems with how the personnel is being managed, what they're being asked to do, and how that is being coordinated with the front seven. If it doesn't get addressed this offseason in some form, I'll be surprised and disappointed. 

Over half of the NFL runs our base coverages (quarters and six out of a two deep safety shell). It shouldn't be difficult to find someone to teach it at a high level, if we must run it 

• Hook 'Em 1

I applauded the coaching continuity Sark has had so far, but if you were looking at it from a cutting the bottom 10% of performers each year, Joseph/Gideon would be the candidates.  Even just asking "is this position group championship level" would still point to the DBs as the biggest liability.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Over half of the NFL runs our base coverages (quarters and six out of a two deep safety shell). It shouldn't be difficult to find someone to teach it at a high level, if we must run it 

Its the situational awareness of the secondary play that get me. You want to play at 5 and bail out with a 20 pt lead on 1st 10, I can deal with that. It just kills me when its 3rd and 4 and they play 5 yards off (usually on the field side, Watts rarely plays off) and bail. That may go to Sark's comments "DB play the technique based on coverage called". I hope that is not the case.