Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The max bet on these types of prop bets is usually a few hundred bucks. I assume that barely registers and if it does they can move lines around as needed. 

I know.  it just seems weird to take bets on something that was filmed last year.  it feels like someone taking bets now on the outcome of an NFL game from 2017.

I remember Vegas used to offer lines on the winner of the bud bowl and always thought the same thing.  

I'd be tempted to bet 100 to win 550 on does not die.  That seems the best value of all of them.  Jamie and arya are of course more likely but those odds suck.

Also the night king = a targaeryan (he can ride a dragon too), but which one?
The spiral symbol thing that the white walkers leave behind looks a lot like the targaryan sign. Maybe he's not a targaryan but wants one? Or are the targaryans descendants of the first men?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Horny04 said:
On 4/14/2019 at 8:06 PM, Horny04 said:

The spiral symbol thing that the white walkers leave behind looks a lot like the targaryan sign. Maybe he's not a targaryan but wants one? Or are the targaryans descendants of the first men?

I hadn't thought about it as a signal until you said it. Holy shit he's signalling what he wants.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

how does betting on something like this exist?  it’s predetermined.  what keeps an actor on the show from calling some old high school buddy and saying “hey you wanna make an easy two grand?”

and I know they probably signed NDAs but that wouldn’t mean a lick of shit in this scenario. 

typically exotic props like this are capped at like $100. folks will bet on a bunch of different people and the house will definitely make money off this. it also gets publicity for the site and gets people to make deposits. plus, anyone who wins money on this bet likely loses it before they ever withdraw. 

4 hours ago, Horny04 said:
On 4/14/2019 at 7:06 PM, Horny04 said:

Targaryens are not descendants of the First Men.

The symbol predates the arrival of Targaryens in Westeros by thousands of years.

5 hours ago, Horny04 said:
On 4/15/2019 at 4:06 AM, Horny04 said:

this show obv pays lots of attention to detail.  7 is big in the shows symbology - 7 gods, 7 starred iris on the white walker dude, so i was surprised that the spiral was 8 sided instead of 7

On 4/13/2019 at 8:13 AM, Viper said:

yes it is. It follows first born and their children before going to younger siblings. So Aerys is king. Next is his firstborn Rhaegar. Now I'm not sure if they've said for sure on the show, but it's typically males ahead of females. So after Rhaegar is his son Aegon, then would be the also confusingly named Jon/Aegon, (it might go to Rhaegar's daughter Rhaenys at this point, but it doesn't matter since she died with Aegon) then once Rhaegar's line is wiped out, it would go to Aerys' second born (living) Viserys, then if all those people are dead it would go to Dany.

It's like the British thrown. If Prince George dies before Queen Elizabeth, the crown still goes to George's son Prince William, not Elizabeth's second son Prince Andrew.

but really, it's this, which is the point. GoT is supposed to be a realistic take on the fantasy genre with respect to the brutality of life and politics in the middle ages. The story is based off the War of the Roses where all the claims were hazy and questionable enough that it really only matter who was still standing at the end.

This is way back sorry, but was actually thinking about this randomly while hitting the snooze button.. and fuck it, 5 days till the next episode so why not...  if the line should go king to oldest child, then it should have gone Robert to joffrey, etc and Stannis/remly couldn’t have said shit/end of show. 

It’s been a few years since I watched those episodes but seem to remember stannis saying the crown should have gone to him BEFORE the claims of Jamie being Joffrey’s dad came out. Then they came out and stannis had a legit claim to the throne but pretty sure he and remly were already fighting before they heard the accusations.

So I’d offer that dany has the better claim since that reasoning started the war of the five kings (if my memory is correct). If he waited to fight, then delete post/ban user/etc.

My impression was that Stannis knew Jeffrey wasn't Robert's kid and it's why he was on Dragonstone. He and Jon Arryn had figured it out and we're about to blow the lid which is why Littlefinger had Arryn killed. Then Stannis got out of Kingslanding before he was next. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

This is way back sorry, but was actually thinking about this randomly while hitting the snooze button.. and fuck it, 5 days till the next episode so why not...  if the line should go king to oldest child, then it should have gone Robert to joffrey, etc and Stannis/remly couldn’t have said shit/end of show. 

It’s been a few years since I watched those episodes but seem to remember stannis saying the crown should have gone to him BEFORE the claims of Jamie being Joffrey’s dad came out. Then they came out and stannis had a legit claim to the throne but pretty sure he and remly were already fighting before they heard the accusations.

So I’d offer that dany has the better claim since that reasoning started the war of the five kings (if my memory is correct). If he waited to fight, then delete post/ban user/etc.

I think that there may be a underlying, yet subtle, theme that monarchical progression isn't as easy as looking at a family tree.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I’m predicting Arya disguises herself as Littlefinger and kills Cersei.  

I rewatched last season’s finale and saw how Arya slit Littlefinger’s throat, leaving the face intact.  

Cersei is still on Arya’s list.  Cersei would speak with Littlefinger since he’s a conniving bitch who could claim to have insight into what’s happening in the north.  Presumably nobody in King’s Landing knows Littlefinger is dead.  And Aidan Gillen is too good of an actor not to have come back.

Arya has to be the one to kill Cersei.  And I think that’s how she’ll do it.

I'm hoping that The Hound and Arya somehow end up taking on The Mountain Zombie and Cersei.  The Hound (somehow) kills his brother for revenge and leaves Cersei for Arya.  It likely won't happen but would be fun. 

Biggest problem with the How to Train Your Dragon scene was why don’t they use them to do some scouting of the WW army location? I thought that’s what they were going to do and get some snacks for the Dragons along the way.

“Hey, my Dragons are starving so let’s ride them and waste their energy...”

Winterfell seems like a horrible location to survive in. Alamo part 2 is about to happen.

Some fan favorite characters will start dying soon. We haven’t really had a shocking death since Red Wedding (to a good guy). (Or Oberyn)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, deech said:

Cersei was drinking wine post-sex, right?  So she was totally mind-fucking her brothers last season?

I'm guessing that the whole fetal-alcohol syndrome hasn't yet been discovered in Westeros.  And even if it had, someone that doesn't seem to have much concern with the genetic abnormalities caused when siblings breed is not going to all of a sudden pass up a little booze for the health of a child.  Kind of like chasing a cheesecake factory dessert with a diet coke. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

This dude is hilarious.

It's funny he touched on something one of my (two) black nerd friends and I were talking about.

Incoming csb

My BNF: those northerners are racist.

Me (white male): why?

BNF: you see the way they were looking at Grey Worm and Missandei?

Me: the same way they were looking at everyone?

BNF: no man, look *rewinds scene*

Me: that's how they look at Daenerys too. I mean, for 7 seasons they've been saying Northerners hate outsiders. They hate Dany. They hate Tyrion. They hate the Unsullied. They hate Varys. They hate Jamie. 

BNF: *now glaring at me and shaking his head*

Me: you think Grey Worm and Missandei are special because they're black?

BNF: *presses play, mutters*

The good news is we're still friends. But he's still mad.

Edited by Disco Missile
  • Like 1

women drink wine when they’re pregnant.  in real life. 
what a dumb comment. 
Joffrey had some pretty characteristic fetal alcohol syndrome traits.

And I think he's referencing last season when she turned down wine from tyrion and grabbed her belly.

Chill.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why does everyone seem to have contempt or hatred for Jaime when calling him "Kingslayer"? They say it like it's a derogatory term. The guy basically killed the Hitler of Westeros, and nobody seems to appreciate that fact any more. 

It's all from the honor angle.  He swears an oath to the king and breaks it.  That's still a no no in their world even if you have the greater good angle on your side.

• Like 1

Because between the Crown and the Faith, people always think one of them is looking out for them---if not both.  In real life...people that put too much trust in organized religion and/or organized government are fucking idiots and deserve what they get.  

But yeah, this Night King worries me...

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread