2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I agree with you. What I'll convince you of is that there's no way Colt, behind THAT OL, while facing THAT DL, and while being our primary running threat, survives the first quarter anyway.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Bama 247, on coaching search candidates:

(Whatever happens, it's nice to have a coach who is spoken of as being desired, but who may simply prefer staying at Texas, because of program it is and is becoming.)

image.thumb.png.aef0820991f4ba9c6b3518e84a368261.png

The whole article (Mike Rodak / Bama 247):

image.thumb.png.b807c75acb1ded1ff370fe0e05175040.png

image.thumb.png.49842d8875efbf6bfb0d772993482469.png

image.thumb.png.9d42a6daecb670b2f8658827bc935ca7.png

image.thumb.png.e240c3f8fa29b4ee81800913c9e757ac.png

• Hook 'Em 4

Lots of buzz now that the choice is Lanning and could be finalized tonight. I really wonder how much interest Kelly would have in Oregon and Oregon would have in Kelly. We might still get the absolutely delicious drama of Jimbo -> LSU buzz even without the Michigan domino falling. 

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Lots of buzz now that the choice is Lanning and could be finalized tonight. I really wonder how much interest Kelly would have in Oregon and Oregon would have in Kelly. We might still get the absolutely delicious drama of Jimbo -> LSU buzz even without the Michigan domino falling. 

I don't see why Kelly would leave LSU for Oregon. Hard to recruit there even with Nike money

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I don't see why Kelly would leave LSU for Oregon. Hard to recruit there even with Nike money

Huh?

Excluding transition classes, they've been landing top 10 classes and that's with two HC that had zero success as head coaches prior to Oregon. Also, that was in a dying Pac 12. You can absolutely recruit at Oregon. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

In every other job on the planet, besides petrochemical worker or crack whore, you'd be considered crazy to leave Eugene for Baton Rouge.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Worth noting but if Lanning is the hire at Bama you can be basically certain he will bring Tosh Lupoi with him to stay in that DL / DC role under him. That displaces Roach who is one of the few DL coaches in the country that I would view as a similar quality replacement for Davis. His time at Bama did briefly overlap with Sark. 

edit: It looks like Lupoi was actually already working with LBs at Oregon this year. My mistake. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

17 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Heard his buy out is 20mm, that would be a ton of money for Bama to shell out 

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Worth noting but if Lanning is the hire at Bama you can be basically certain he will bring Tosh Lupoi with him to stay in that DL / DC role under him. That displaces Roach who is one of the few DL coaches in the country that I would view as a similar quality replacement for Davis. His time at Bama did briefly overlap with Sark. 

Tosh can coach LB, so that isn’t an issue 

Edited by Codaxx

I think Oregon is a pretty attractive job now with Big 10 membership. 

The only schools that should be able to out recruit them are Ohio State, USC, and maybe Michigan. There's also a ton of uncertainty around the 3 coaches at those schools in Day, Riley, and potentially Harbaugh bolting for the NFL. 

Nike money, the 2nd best conference in football, and a ton of uncertainty for the top echelon schools in the Big 10. You can win big at Oregon IMO. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Oregon is a pretty attractive job now with Big 10 membership. 

The only schools that should be able to out recruit them is Ohio State, USC, and maybe Michigan. There's also a  ton of uncertainty around the 3 coaches at those schools in Day, Riley, and potentially Harbaugh bolting for Michigan. 

Nike money, the 2nd best conference in football, and a ton of uncertainty for the top echelon schools in the Big 10. You can win big at Oregon IMO. 

It’s still Oregon, which makes recruiting tough. No natural recruiting pipeline within a 5 hour drive. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Heard his buy out is 20mm, that would be a ton of money for Bama to shell out 

Tosh can coach LB, so that isn’t an issue 

It actually looks like Tosh was handling LBs this year at Oregon anyway. I could have sword he was working with the DL. So yeah much more likely he would just remain in that spot and they might retain Roach. Damn. 

4 minutes ago, statsman said:

FIFY

Yeah, I don't understand this "It's tough to recruit at Oregon." 

Even Dana Altman has been landing 5 stars almost every cycle in men's basketball. You can land top 5 classes at Oregon much like Lanning will this year (especially with Big 10 membership). 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You mean as in an alum? Or an amoral piece of shit who’d cheat or kill a kid to win games? Because he’s certainly the latter. 

I mean as in their idea of what they are. Kind of similar to how we wanted Akers over Campbell in part because Akers had the look we wanted. I know some UM alums and they have been adamant UM would want no part of Kelly if Harbaugh left. No idea of how accurate that is, but they have been plugged in in the past. 

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

I mean as in their idea of what they are. I know some UM alums and they have been adamant UM would want no part of Kelly if Harbaugh left. No idea of how accurate that is, but they have been plugged in in the past. 

Yeah, it looks like they’re hiring internally if it happens anyway. But who they think they are and who they’ve demonstrated themselves to be at this point are Aggie-esque. 

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Any interest in Roach from Bama for DL coach? 

In the past two hours? Sure. 

Where is this buzz you speak of, does it have any sources or links?

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I don't understand this "It's tough to recruit at Oregon." 

Even Dana Altman has been landing 5 stars almost every cycle in men's basketball. You can land top 5 classes at Oregon much like Lanning will this year (especially with Big 10 membership). 

Nobody said it was not possible, but it’s easier to recruit at schools like Georgia and Texas that have huge recruiting grounds in their backyards. When you don’t that means you have to recruit nationally and those are much tougher recruitments. Oregon is being boosted by the issues at USC and UCLA currently. 

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You mean as in an alum? Or an amoral piece of shit who’d cheat or kill a kid to win games? Because he’s certainly the latter. 

Everyone knows "Michigan Man" just means "guy who talks about academics and morals a lot in a condescending way" and Brian Kelly is definitely suited for that role.

Sidebar: @satyanash and @RockyMountainHighHorn, you two need to take a long hard fucking look in the mirror and decide what kind of man you want to be. Some of the most willfully ignorant spineless sadposting I've ever seen today. Christ.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Everyone knows "Michigan Man" just means "guy who talks about academics and morals a lot in a condescending way" and Brian Kelly is definitely suited for that role.

No, everyone does not know that

4 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Kurt never missing an opportunity to throw out baseless speculation that could hurt the University he covers.

I wish he would Saban’s lead and fucking retire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Put me in the camp that has never heard that, and my next door neighbor is a Michigan State grad that wouldn’t miss a chance to share an insult.  

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sidebar: @satyanash and @RockyMountainHighHorn, you two need to take a long hard fucking look in the mirror and decide what kind of man you want to be. Some of the most willfully ignorant spineless sadposting I've ever seen today. Christ.

I'm very surprised so many of you guys have been baited by that report. Feels very obviously planted by Kelly's agent given how the season went, having to clean house on the defensive staff and having his OC leave him. I don't think there's a shot Michigan reciprocates that interest. 

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Put me in the camp that has never heard that, and my next door neighbor is a Michigan State grad that wouldn’t miss a chance to share an insult.  

I didn't mean that's what it's supposed to mean, but it's what it usually means in practice.

https://x.com/jedsparty/status/1745273898172657934?s=20

edit: Not sure why the tweet isn't displaying and the video is basically crashing because so many people are trying to watch it so I'll just say it~

Eugene, Oregon local news reporting on air that Lanning is already in Tuscaloosa having meetings with Bama. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1