2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

For anyone cares, and I know most of you sickos do, the OTF thread has some videos linked of some of his interviews at Western Kentucky or somewhere, where you can see his personality.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/145-dl-coach-update-has-texas-found-their-man-thurs-1102-am/#comment-1396

Some of yall came come back here and let me know what you think, because I'm not watching that shit. 

I hope he talks like Colin Powell.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is 100% about getting an in with D-line recruits from the Atlanta area, which has a knack for producing some good ones. This guy is from there and recruited plenty of guys from there to WKU. And the NFL experience is an even bigger plus. Whole lot of stupid in this thread. I think it’s a great hire. 

@Ricky's one-hitter 

There's still time to pull back your rhetoric before it's too late. 

• Haha 6
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Burton DL Coach search update from the @immamac alternative universe site

Hide contents

I spoke to a person close to the situation last night. And here's what I was told...

Texas is looking for a certain type of DL coach. Steve Sarkisian really wants to up the level of recruiting they have seen on the interior DL.

While Bo Davis was a terrific coach, he didn't exactly leave the cupboard full at his position. Perhaps it's the only position on the team right now that doesn't have an abundance of talent in the underclass ranks.

Texas sees this as an opportunity to improve the staff overall.

Given that, Sark is trying to find someone who can fill the void of not only being an elite developer of talent, but also an elite recruiter of said talent.

That's not necessarily an easy task; Davis is a good coach after all. But Sark wants to make sure he nails this hire, both on the field and in recruiting.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/138-thursday-d-line-coach-pursuit/#comment-1334

Glad to hear Sark is really looking to take his time with this hire. I feel bad saying this, because I love Rod Wright; but after losing a guy seen by many as "the best in the biz",  his name just felt a little underwhelming to me outside of the obvious connection. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahaha. I am excited by this hire, personally. It's pure fucking chaos and it's going to force people into positions that make everyone a little uncomfortable. None of us know shit about him and there isn't a lot of meat on the bone when it comes to his dossier. We're speculating, handwringing, sunshine pumping and fingerpointing already. Outstanding.

I hope this guy crushes it. I don't even dislike the hire, but that's mostly because I knew options had whithered away so some risk was going to be involved. Now we get a guy that presents board chaos? Fucking yes. 

This is silly noise. Qualified people rec'd him. The bottom line is that Sarkisian interviewed him and thought him a winner. No one needs to read the bowels of potential random connections that could have led to that interview. The simplest connection is that Nagy likes the guy and passed his name on to Sarkisian, but who really fucking cares?

Fine with me.  Sark has built up a fair amount of goodwill coming off a great season and a track record of coaching hires at Texas that I'd say have been for the most part solid to spectacular.  And I don't think this guy is going to make or break our defense in 2024 with the Nansen and Year 4 of Kwiatkowski at the helm.  

But the "who????" factor with this guy is particularly strong.  

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Sark has built up a fair amount of good will coming off a great season and a track record of coaching hires at Texas that I'd say have been for the most part solid to spectacular.

Not to be an external skeptic but I recall feeling this way about post-Muschamp Mack hires.  

On the opposite side, I think Sarkisian (regardless of what he’s paid and did last year) has a lot less institutional leverage and if it ends up being a mediocre hire he’ll get pressure to upgrade.  

As @SydneyCarton mentioned, I do like the DL coach on the Dolphins and Fangio is a top tier coordinator.  If we’re hiring based on what they’ve done over the last 12 months then it’s comparable to a Wright hire without the legacy story.  

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is 100% about getting an in with D-line recruits from the Atlanta area, which has a knack for producing some good ones. This guy is from there and recruited plenty of guys from there to WKU. And the NFL experience is an even bigger plus. Whole lot of stupid in this thread. I think it’s a great hire. 

True Detective Hbo GIF by True Detective: Night Country

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Oh fuck

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Not to be an external skeptic but I recall feeling this way about post-Muschamp Mack hires.  

On the opposite side, I think Sarkisian (regardless of what he’s paid and did last year) has a lot less institutional leverage and if it ends up being a mediocre hire he’ll get pressure to upgrade.  

As @SydneyCarton mentioned, I do like the DL coach on the Dolphins and Fangio is a top tier coordinator.  If we’re hiring based on what they’ve done over the last 12 months then it’s comparable to a Wright hire without the legacy story.  

Or the track record/resume. Unless you want to compare western kentcuky and his stint at Vassar with coaching and recruiting at UTSA, Miami, and oh by the way playing college football at a major college football program, as opposed to Gardner Webb

Edited by SydneyCarton

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This has stench of having all your chips on Rod Wright, only to have him turn you down, and the going "Oh fuuuuuuuck." This dude makes Rod Wright look like Dick LeBeau. 

Couldn't give Frank Okam a call? At least he's an alum, and did well at Baylor. Fuck. 

Beyond not being able to rationalize this, I have a hard time thinking this could be anything other than "Well, I liked him on the phone interview we had..."

This

no Rod?

ok lets go to Okam

no Okam? Fuck it, bring back Giles even

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is 100% about getting an in with D-line recruits from the Atlanta area, which has a knack for producing some good ones. This guy is from there and recruited plenty of guys from there to WKU. And the NFL experience is an even bigger plus. Whole lot of stupid in this thread. I think it’s a great hire

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Fuck it I'm in. Could see myself regretting this whole fucking thing come the first game of the season.

Dude seems chill and articulate so I guess that's good??? Hopefully we don't need any Bo Davis get off the fucking bus speeches.

Saban fucked up hires. Urban Meyer screwed up hires. Kirby Smart hired Bobo back as OC. Even guys that win titles get hires wrong for one reason or another. I've hired flops before when I was in a spot where I knew what I was doing and the firm I was with or leading was kicking ass. I think questioning hires like this is merited and anti-groupthink. I find it comical that people here are driving by with comments about people being critical of the hire. What is this board supposed to be doing right now if not analyzing this? The aggiest shit ever is to immediately parrot that the coach, any coach, should be blindly trusted with this kind of move because ... reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

window fuck this GIF

• Haha 3

Just now, austintx said:

Fuck it I'm in. Could see myself regretting this whole fucking thing come the first game of the season.

Dude seems chill and articulate so I guess that's good??? Hopefully we don't need any Bo Davis get off the fucking bus speeches.

This is where most people should be at. Like said above, it's certainly possible he ends up being awesome but it's all based on hope, which is fine as a fan. The only thing getting mocked around here is people attempting to act like his résumé is great. 

On one hand, if A&M had hired this guy we would have laughed as their writers tried to fluff him as a great hire. On the other hand they fuck up everything so maybe the current trajectory of the Texas program helps this guy be what we hope he can be. Like I said, it's all fan hope. Now he has to prove himself. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I find it comical that people here are driving by with comments about people being critical of the hire.

I was going to bring up “trust the coaches” as up there with “Natty” on the list of things Longhorns* shouldn’t say but I didn’t want to pick on any recent offenders.  

*Aggies, by comparison, can’t help themselves.  

Just now, Helobious said:

Yep you guys are all correct and I’m the stupid one. Adding a coach with NFL experience and Georgia recruiting ties is going to be a huge net negative to the program. Can’t believe I didn’t see it sooner.

Given all of the evidence on the history of this site, it is indeed highly likely that we are all correct and you are the stupid one. 

And no one is even arguing that the guy having grown up in the southeast is a problem. Taking the position that that's why he was hired is a level of rarified air when it comes to ignorant stupidity that only you and a handful of others can achieve on this site. You have no fucking clue what you're doing here and it is painfully obvious to the rest of us. 

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Given all of the evidence on the history of this site, it is indeed highly likely that we are all correct and you are the stupid one. 

And no one is even arguing that the guy having grown up in the southeast is a problem. Taking the position that that's why he was hired is a level of rarified air when it comes to ignorant stupidity that only you and a handful of others can achieve on this site. You have no fucking clue what you're doing here and it is painfully obvious to the rest of us. 

Hired because he grew up there? No. 

Hired because he has a (small) but proven track record of recruiting the area? Yes. And it’s pretty ignorant to think that wasn’t a huge factor. He’s going to be fine and his time with the Dolphins will give him added credibility with players and recruits. The only negative I’m seeing is that he’s probably not going to land us Gustavo Cordova.

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Sidebar, is Helobious just a Futureman jr. Need to know if I should add him to block.

Futureman is worthless because everything he posts is a bit that seems to be for the entertainment of only himself. 

Helobious seems sincere in his posts, just with an incredible rate of being wrong almost 100% of the time. So I think there is some value in reading those posts to check yourself if your takes ever align. 

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Goddammit

GODDAMMIT

Case in point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Saban fucked up hires. Urban Meyer screwed up hires. Kirby Smart hired Bobo back as OC. Even guys that win titles get hires wrong for one reason or another. I've hired flops before when I was in a spot where I knew what I was doing and the firm I was with or leading was kicking ass. I think questioning hires like this is merited and anti-groupthink. I find it comical that people here are driving by with comments about people being critical of the hire. What is this board supposed to be doing right now if not analyzing this? The aggiest shit ever is to immediately parrot that the coach, any coach, should be blindly trusted with this kind of move because ... reasons. 

This is where I sit. I personally have never heard of the guy, and I find his resume to be a bit underwhelming. That said, I will reserve final judgement until I see the what Coach Baker does with his time here. 

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is where most people should be at. Like said above, it's certainly possible he ends up being awesome but it's all based on hope, which is fine as a fan. The only thing getting mocked around here is people attempting to act like his résumé is great. 

On one hand, if A&M had hired this guy we would have laughed as their writers tried to fluff him as a great hire. On the other hand they fuck up everything so maybe the current trajectory of the Texas program helps this guy be what we hope he can be. Like I said, it's all fan hope. Now he has to prove himself. 

Hope is not a winning strategy.