The most satisfying money you can spend - hiring movers?

wutang75

As someone that has attempted to save money and move myself a few times through the years, I can say with certainty that hiring movers is the most satisfying money you can spend (keeping this SFW).

A few other instances that could make the list:

- Divorce lawyer (basing this on the fact I did NOT hire an attorney and wish I had).

- Lawn guy (I know this is a touchy subject for some and their man-card).

- Fishing guide

- Tailored suit

- Dream car

- Media room

Others?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

A good car wash/detail.  It’s never perfect, they always miss some corner, but dammit my car drives better after someone else washes it.  I haven’t washed a car in a while and I plan to keep it that way.

I would extend this to maid service. Love coming home after maids have been there. Humblebrag?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I pay a service to store and change my winter vs summer tires. 

I drive up through the garage, they jack the car up with me inside and do the swap, i literally never step out of the car. It feels so dumb and extra but also satisfying. 

I'm pot committed with four sets of their tires right now, but I would happily tell Discount Tire to fuck off forever if such a service was available near me. 

7 hours ago, wutang75 said:

I would extend this to maid service. Love coming home after maids have been there. Humblebrag?

This….. especially them changing out the bed sheets and cleaning the bathrooms & kitchen.

Lawn guy is a must, as is hiring movers to haul all our shit to the new house.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Kinky. 

ISWYDT

My husband would consider his man card trash if he hired a fishing guide. He has issues.

I fish a lot, but I’ve hired a guide on maybe 6-8 occasions when I’m going somewhere new. Just because I can catch a ton close to home doesn’t mean I know anything about playing at another guy’s home field. I can stumble around and hope, or get put on some fish. Pro tip: Dropping pins on your phone’s map is the quickest way to not get access to the best spots.
  • Like 3

By God this is my 'best money you will ever spend' line as well.  I fucking hate helping so much that I will seriously consider paying for two hours for movers. The day isn't lost.  You don't have to take stupid instructions from so called friends for where they want their shit. And you can keep your God damn pizza and cheap beer because you wanted to save while moving into your $500k house. 

Movers and good pair of jeans are worth it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I pay a service to store and change my winter vs summer tires. 

I drive up through the garage, they jack the car up with me inside and do the swap, i literally never step out of the car. It feels so dumb and extra but also satisfying. 

I pay a shitload to live in a place where I don't need winter tires.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hired a private car (like an Uber black) to drive me two hours deep into beautiful Hill Country. Why?

I was taken to the guys house that I bought my 911 from, private sale. 

It was a beautiful drive there and an exhilarating Hill Country drive home. Perfect twisty roads. No traffic. Perfect weather.  

Great day that was worth the money. 

We used PODs for our move to NY, still had to load it up but they drove it and stored it up north until we settled into an apt.  We did use a Uhaul to move from apt. to house. If and when we move back to Texas our p!an is to sell as much of our belongings as possible so as not to have to move a whole bunch back down. 

By God this is my 'best money you will ever spend' line as well.  I fucking hate helping so much that I will seriously consider paying for two hours for movers. The day isn't lost.  You don't have to take stupid instructions from so called friends for where they want their shit. And you can keep your God damn pizza and cheap beer because you wanted to save while moving into your $500k house. 
Movers and good pair of jeans are worth it. 

I said tailored suit, but didn’t think about jeans. I buy AG jeans and keep them for years and damn it seems worth it to me.

A good haircut is another thing.
  • Like 1

Don’t forget new shoes too. I’m an AG fan too, Tellis cut. I have no ass. My entire wardrobe is those skinny jeans/pants or Ariat M7 so I can wear boots.

Moving in 3 weeks and am so looking forward to not being sore for a week afterwards. Just put it over there, guys. Please be careful with the grandfather clock.

My husband would consider his man card trash if he hired a fishing guide. He has issues.

Never stop learning. I’m tempted to hire guides on my home waters just to see what I might be missing and to have in-depth discussions about the fishery with an expert. And I catch a ton of fish. Every time I launch the boat I have 100 different options and Id love to have my thinking double-checked.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Never stop learning. I’m tempted to hire guides on my home waters just to see what I might be missing and to have in-depth discussions about the fishery with an expert. And I catch a ton of fish. Every time I launch the boat I have 100 different options and Id love to have my thinking double-checked.

Just bring the fiancé/ wife

Edited by slorch

Movers yes, storage no. Had a roommate once that worked for a huge moving and storage place in OKC. Some poor bastard would be sent overseas from Tinker AFB or for work and hire this place to store their stuff for 6 months to a year and as soon as it hit the warehouse the degenerates that worked there would go through everything and grab anything cool or of value. Most of those guys were a half step above day laborers and knew the chances of still being there when the people came back were next to nothing.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:08 AM, Hawndoh said:

Movers are great but the best money I ever spent was probably Lasik surgery.

No more contacts, contact cleaning, blind stumbling to the bathroom at night, it's just a total life changer 

On 12/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, BearSchlong said:

Just spent $ on top of the line replacement lenses and cataract surgery, life changing for sure.

I'm coming up on 25 years since my Lasik surgery.  I paid cash since the Navy wasn't covering it then if you weren't a pilot.  It was tough to swing $4000 at the time, but I'm so glad I did it.  Even though I've been back to wearing glasses for the last 7 years, I can still do 99% of my daily activities without them.  

Absolutely and without question the most satisfying and life-changing money I have ever spent.

I've got a couple of buddies who outsource everything.  I mean everything.  Lawn work.  House cleaning.  Pool cleaning.  Groceries.  Laundry.  You name it.  Their theory makes sense, and it's that their time is worth way more than wasting it on those tasks.  Whether that time is "billable" or spent with friends and family.  So, they pay others to do it.  I get it.  

On the other hand, I've been notoriously hardheaded and have always tried to do everything myself.  Partly because I like it and partly because I'm stubborn.  I truly enjoy working outside with my hands.  Even the seemingly mundane stuff.  But, over the last year, I tried to put these types of tasks in three buckets.  

A) Pay someone to do it because they're better or more efficient than me.  Moving is the PERFECT example.  Same with bigger house projects that I used to tackle myself.  I have guys at my house today pouring a new concrete step.  Five years ago, I would have done that myself and spent half a Saturday doing so.  

B) I'll mostly do it myself because the cost doesn't seem worth it and I can do it on my own schedule.  Like trimming my trees annually.  I can't do the high stuff, but I'll spend a day meticulously trimming the Oaks.  Find some nice weather on a winter day, save a thousand bucks, break a little sweat and do it my way.  

C) I just like to do it.  Like cleaning my pool.  I kind of look forward to emptying the skimmers, tinkering with the chemicals and making sure everything's running smoothly.  Cost doesn't matter, but I genuinely enjoy cracking open a cold beer after work and cooling off in the dead of summer while being "busy".

• Hook 'Em 1