MNC game at NRG Stadium tickets

markstanco

22 hours ago, immamac said:

The fact that so many tickets never even get sold to those who use them on the primary market means 2 things:

1) the primary market tickets are too cheap

2) the secondary market is not a free market and is artificially inflated by bad actors. 

Absolutely. Everything going electronic has given the brokers/scalpers the ability to control the market to a degree they were never able to approach before. It's disgusting.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 12/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, LonghornBreeder said:
The cheapest available on stub hub this morning were $1250. If you buy now, worst case is Alabama (been there, done thatl) and Washington (don't care, too far) win and you still probably break even selling them.

This won't be a "been there done that" year for the Gumps. They know they are fortunate to be in at all, and with little Nicky's age they can't take championships for granted anymore.

True, but my broader point is that Texas and Michigan would open the floodgates of demand for tickets. Bama would represent if they make the final but of the 4 possible finalist,  Bama/Wash would yield the lowest turnout.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Absolutely. Everything going electronic has given the brokers/scalpers the ability to control the market to a degree they were never able to approach before. It's disgusting.

make all tickets non transferable. if you can't go, the event buys them back + a fee (fee is a sliding scale, based on when they're sold back)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

make all tickets non transferable. if you can't go, the event buys them back + a fee (fee is a sliding scale, based on when they're sold back)

Zach Bryan sold tickets this way on his latest tour. We bought them from the resale marketplace and it worked as advertised.  It was so nice not to deal with that ticket broker bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Your Mom said:

Zach Bryan sold tickets this way on his latest tour. We bought them from the resale marketplace and it worked as advertised.  It was so nice not to deal with that ticket broker bullshit.

I'm shocked these events haven't made moves to capture all lost revenue from broker sites. You would think it's very easy to cut them out of the picture.

If nothing else, no tickets accepted from ticket broker sites 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I'm shocked these events haven't made moves to capture all lost revenue from broker sites. You would think it's very easy to cut them out of the picture.

A lot of professional venues and university athletic departments are in bed with the resale sites. Look no further than Seat Geek's sponsorship of UT athletics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allrightallrightallright said:

One factor working in the 'draw' favor of LHF points is how many big money guys want to go into a draw for tix?  They seem like club/suite dudes.  I'm currently 7K and likely out of luck even for the Sugar bowl, but who knows

Those big money donors will still buy their allotment to give away to friends, clients, etc.

So if we think the 20k tickets per school is accurate, I'm thinking maybe 65% of those actually end up with "donor" fans.

Team / Coaches - 250-500 tickets

Band - 400

Athletics / University admin - 500

Students - 5,000

I was another one of those walking around the Rose Bowl in January 2006 looking for tickets and I can see this being like that.  The market will be a bit more efficient in that we won't have to walk around and hope that we happen to be around the right person when they hold tickets up in the air to sell, but I'll bet the get-in price is >3k on the re-seller market if the matchup involves UT.  Many will have the same view as has been expressed in this thread, never will be a cheaper (no "travel costs" involved) option than this, not to mention the pent-up demand from Horns' fans coming out of the desert of the last 13 years.  If Horns don't make it, all of us buying in advance should really be pulling for Big Blue as that will be the only hope for the market not collapsing before we can sell.

Wish I had thought of the RSVP option earlier in the year.  I bought "Dibs" in the 2009 season for $75 or something like that and then got 4 tickets to that debacle for face.   Good luck to everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is an article from 2014 when the Playoff system was announced.  I have had a hard time finding anything else.

If unchanged, it is 12,500 to semis and 20,000 to finals.

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. — The new College Football Playoff system will require participating teams and leagues to buy at least 12,500 tickets to each game – a significant reduction from the 17,500-ticket requirements that saddled several participants with millions of dollars in unsold tickets for Bowl Championship Series games.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock told USA TODAY Sports that the 12,500-ticket requirement will include the two semifinal games, plus the Cotton, Chick-fil-A and Fiesta Bowls. Those three games, plus the Rose, Sugar and Orange Bowls, are part of new playoff and premium bowl rotation, which starts next season and replaces the BCS. Hancock said the national championship game will have a requirement of about 20,000.

Though some teams easily found buyers for their 17,500 tickets in the BCS era, others struggled and were stuck with the full-price bill for them anyway. In 2011, for example, Connecticut reported that it lost $1.6 million on its Fiesta Bowl trip because of $2.6 million in unsold tickets.

"I think it's more in line with what the schools can use," said Hancock, who also will oversee the playoff. "It's a balancing act, because you had Connecticut, which only could use 5,000. On the other hand, you had LSU going to the Sugar Bowl and could take 50,000. Our challenge in preparing contracts is to find a middle ground that will work for everybody."

The ticket requirements are negotiated by the bowls and leagues long before bowl matchups are finalized. The bowls like bigger guaranteed ticket sales because they shift the risk of unsold tickets to the schools and leagues. In exchange for taking on that risk, the bowls generally guarantee a bigger payout for participating schools and leagues. The schools and leagues also get a block of premium tickets at locked-in prices that might fetch more money on the open market.

Under the new playoff system, tickets to some of the games are likely to command top dollar, especially the semifinals. But the other games might depend on upon matchups and travel distance. This season, Baylor and Central Florida both reported having trouble finding buyers for the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. Last season, Florida State only sold a portion of its 17,500 tickets to the Orange Bowl and was forced to absorb $2.1 million in unsold tickets with help from the Atlantic Coast Conference. FSU reported to the NCAA that the "price of the tickets were too high and the secondary market had tickets at a much lower cost, which made it impossible for us to sell our allotment."

By contrast, teams from the Big Ten generally don't struggle to sell their tickets to the Rose Bowl. This year, Michigan State sold its 24,000-ticket allotment to the Rose Bowl and still needed more because of high demand.

"Some places have smaller fan bases and are more regionally oriented," Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany told USA TODAY Sports. "They struggle with it … There's got to be some number that people are accountable for."

When not staging semifinals, the Rose, Orange and Sugar Bowls will determine their own ticket requirements as part of their contracts with various conferences, Hancock said. For example, the Rose Bowl has contracts with the Big Ten and Pac-12.

Denied.  Sucks as I can always get Super Bowl tickets through Texans.  But no playoffs.  Be paying ridiculous amount for tickets like everyone else.  And my daughter has become a huge fan this year, so she will want to go.  Need to buy 4.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 110214.png

spacer.png

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Prepare your anus 2

Can any math wizards make sense of the rankings below?  If there are 40,581 total accounts, wouldn't the top 10% be account 4,058 and lower?

https://texassports.com/sports/2021/2/22/loyalty-points.aspx?id=931

Football Season Ticket Holders Loyalty Points Rankings as of 11/7/2023

Range Rank Out of All Accounts With Points Rank Out of FB STH Point Range
1-10% 3-1,796 1-1,627 953,399-2,297.06
11-20% 1,797-3,597 1,628-3,254 2,296.5-1,086.9
21-30% 3,598-5,420 3,255-4,881 1,086.66-620.7
31-40% 5,421-7,304 4,882-6,508 620.5-345
41-50% 7,305-9,213 6,509-8,136 345-209.55
51-60% 9,214-11,237 8,137-9,763 209.8-140.5
61-70% 11,238-13,259 9,764-11,390 140-69
71-80% 13,260-15,458 11,391-13,017 68.75-33
81-90% 15,459-17,793 13,018-14,644 33-15
91-100% 17,795-40,581 14,645-16,272 15-1

there is not doubt that the venues and artists/teams are getting a cut of the resale fees. Perhaps not always on a per transaction but they are in other ways. I know that when I bought MLB playoff tickets on Stub Hub or Seat Geek, the MLB app was fully aware of the transaction and I could use the MLB app to go into the game. You know that Stub Hub and Seat Geek pay MLB for that data integration. It might be an annual or even a transaction fee charged by MLB, but the buyer/seller are indirectly sending money to MLB as part of their fees.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I suspect half of these ridiculous fees the broker sites steal get funneled right back as bribes to the decision makers who could end their business, but for some reason decide not to.

31 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I suspect half of these ridiculous fees the broker sites steal get funneled right back as bribes to the decision makers who could end their business, but for some reason decide not to.

Absolutely.  Schools are getting a cut.  Also, I have zero doubt that the large volume brokers aren't paying anywhere remotely close to the percentage fee you and I pay when we sell tickets.  It's all absolutely rigged against the consumer.  Including full blown collusion among the large ticket brokers that hold a big chunk of inventory when setting prices (i.e., there was absolutely zero reason for the Big 12 market to stay as high as it did for as long as it did with the massive amount of inventory available but for ticket brokers colluding to maintain prices high until later in day Friday to take advantage of anxious fans not wanting to leave for Dallas without tickets).

I wish Patrick Ryan still posted on this site to provide insight but given he's in the business I'm sure he's involved with the same shitty practices trying to maximize profit.  It's all bullshit.  Was such a better system just haggling outside the stadium back in the day.   That was a real "market" instead of the rigged system we have now.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Absolutely.  Schools are getting a cut.  Also, I have zero doubt that the large volume brokers aren't paying anywhere remotely close to the percentage fee you and I pay when we sell tickets.  It's all absolutely rigged against the consumer.  Including full blown collusion among the large ticket brokers that hold a big chunk of inventory when setting prices (i.e., there was absolutely zero reason for the Big 12 market to stay as high as it did for as long as it did with the massive amount of inventory available but for ticket brokers colluding to maintain prices high until later in day Friday to take advantage of anxious fans not wanting to leave for Dallas without tickets).

I wish Patrick Ryan still posted on this site to provide insight but given he's in the business I'm sure he's involved with the same shitty practices trying to maximize profit.  It's all bullshit.  Was such a better system just haggling outside the stadium back in the day.   That was a real "market" instead of the rigged system we have now.

If I decide to run for president, I will put ending that corrupt industry right up next to my pledge to publicly execute people that run tele-scam  call centers. I feel  good about my chances. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If Texas makes the finals, today's prices will look like a great deal.  Simple supply and demand will drive prices up; most season ticket holders for the Texans are likely Horns fans or giving them to horns friends.  Worst case scenario, Bama vs Washington...Bama fans have championship game fatigue.  Best case scenario, Horns vs Mich. 
One factor working in the 'draw' favor of LHF points is how many big money guys want to go into a draw for tix?  They seem like club/suite dudes.  I'm currently 7K and likely out of luck even for the Sugar bowl, but who knows

I’m in the 11k range, consistently get decent OU seats and got Sugar Bowl tickets in 2018. Different level of excitement this time for sure but I’m holding out some hope.

Also really annoying that it takes a week to let people know. You have everyone’s loyalty point rankings and ticket requests, it isn’t rocket surgery.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Where's @EddieMoney been? Didn't he start-up a ticket brokerage or something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

there is not doubt that the venues and artists/teams are getting a cut of the resale fees. Perhaps not always on a per transaction but they are in other ways. I know that when I bought MLB playoff tickets on Stub Hub or Seat Geek, the MLB app was fully aware of the transaction and I could use the MLB app to go into the game. You know that Stub Hub and Seat Geek pay MLB for that data integration. It might be an annual or even a transaction fee charged by MLB, but the buyer/seller are indirectly sending money to MLB as part of their fees.

At least as it relates to bowl games, neither the bowl nor the schools get any percentage or cut of resale fees. 

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m in the 11k range, consistently get decent OU seats and got Sugar Bowl tickets in 2018. Different level of excitement this time for sure but I’m holding out some hope.

Also really annoying that it takes a week to let people know. You have everyone’s loyalty point rankings and ticket requests, it isn’t rocket surgery.

From firsthand knowledge from another school that has been in the playoffs, there's a ton of work that goes into it before they even get to the point of notifying who gets what. From the moment the athletics department was informed that the team made the playoffs, the ticket office has been working nonstop. They have been on the ground in New Orleans determing ticket locations. They are determining how many tickets they have at the various price points. They are working through how many tickets will be available after VIPs, university dignitaries, BOR members, athletics department (including team and coach's allocations), band, students, etc. I'm sure those guys are working their asses off and will be until all ticket orders are fulfilled and then once again when they get to New Orleans for the game. Give them some patience and grace. It's not an easy job to complete on a tight timeline.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 4

I think the most annoying thing was the emails from the athletic department to "boost your spot in line" for bowl game tickets by donating more to LHF without giving any estimate of what that spot needs to be to get tickets. I am ranked about 6,200 so am anticipating not being successful.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Can any math wizards make sense of the rankings below?  If there are 40,581 total accounts, wouldn't the top 10% be account 4,058 and lower?

I got nothing regarding what those % are trying to say.

3 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

I think the most annoying thing was the emails from the athletic department to "boost your spot in line" for bowl game tickets by donating more to LHF without giving any estimate of what that spot needs to be to get tickets. I am ranked about 6,200 so am anticipating not being successful.

I mean you can't help them trying to fund raise off of this.  These years are few and far between.  It's just damn shame we couldn't get Texas One Fund donations treated the same as LHF donations as we all thought would be the case.  Even though that could end up screwing me on tickets this year, I'll still give bare minimum to LHF and the rest to Texas One Fund.  Winning is more important.  Hopefully that change gets pushed through in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean you can't help them trying to fund raise off of this.  These years are few and far between.  It's just damn shame we couldn't get Texas One Fund donations treated the same as LHF donations as we all thought would be the case.  Even though that could end up screwing me on tickets this year, I'll still give bare minimum to LHF and the rest to Texas One Fund.  Winning is more important.  Hopefully that change gets pushed through in the future. 

Agreed, I just think it is offering a bit of false hope when you are dangling the bowl game language, when people have no idea what it takes to actually be in that spot.

19 minutes ago, field said:

At least as it relates to bowl games, neither the bowl nor the schools get any percentage or cut of resale fees. 

Maybe not directly. If the stadium understands what they can earn in anything related to resale tickets, it's very possible that the bowl and effectively the schools pay less for the stadium. 

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Actually the % is based off the "Rank Out of FB STH" column. 

There are only 16k Foundation members with FB season tickets, and 24k without?  That seems odd.

10 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

There are only 16k Foundation members with FB season tickets, and 24k without?  That seems odd.

Yep, I can see that now. Odd. When you go to see your rank on the Loyalty Points website it gives you your rank out of the total number of LHF members (40k). 

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

I’m assuming that the Rank #1 at 953,399 is either the Jamail Estate or the McCombs Estate. Surprised at the back half of those point ranges, though. 

Did that happen this year?

21 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Especially odd if you look at the basketball graph above it on website.  Says there are 34,162 accounts with points (2240 basketball season ticket holders). But the football chart says 40,581 accounts with points.  Which is it?

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

Me at 10K

Rainy Day In The Rain GIF - Rainy Day In The Rain Alone - Discover & Share  GIFs

Edited by The_highest_of_fives
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

narrator: it isn't all based on loyalty points rank...the favors are being called in.

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Denied.  Sucks as I can always get Super Bowl tickets through Texans.  But no playoffs.  Be paying ridiculous amount for tickets like everyone else.  And my daughter has become a huge fan this year, so she will want to go.  Need to buy 4.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 110214.png

spacer.png

good on the CFP putting that in the contract.  Leaves more for the schools to buy if they want.

• Like 1