Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

On 2/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I just checked with your nurse and doctor, and they confessed that they were in the back room watching reruns of Lassie. The good ones, not the trashy second season.

My primary doctor will spend a good 30 minutes with me shooting the shit about football.

The first visit I had at his office the topic of high school football came up. It turned out we attended the same school and two of my coaches played with him in high school. They did back to back state championships. I kid you not, he retold the entire story beginning with "we first came together in 7th grade."  Almost an hour later he finished the discussion and then left to see another patient. He probably spent less than 5 minutes addressing my health.

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

this is correct - now we can get back on track.

Enshittification is racing to the bottom on how far can the populace be pushed before revolting. We are teetering on the border of "this is okay" and that's what everyone is feeling/seeing/hearing. It's amplified by everything that used to be great turning to absolute dogshit and a money grab

but does it scale

43 minutes ago, F250 said:

My primary doctor will spend a good 30 minutes with me shooting the shit about football.

The first visit I had at his office the topic of high school football came up. It turned out we attended the same school and two of my coaches played with him in high school. They did back to back state championships. I kid you not, he retold the entire story beginning with "we first came together in 7th grade."  Almost an hour later he finished the discussion and then left to see another patient. He probably spent less than 5 minutes addressing my health.

I always maintain a bright and cheerful demeanor, just in case they only have one dose of some rare drug I need and they're trying to decide who to give it to.

As for wait time, I make money off of it by knocking out baseball-card-sized cartoons that make people stop at my show tables and maybe buy more expensive  stuff. Even if they don't, it's like drawing my own 5 dollar bills. I give some to the doc, but not too many because if she lets me die they're worth more.

But other than that, we generally talk about weird gross side effects and then she goes to Spain or Houston and presents the results.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i think it's GenZ, they're the ones most angry and feeling screwed. by all of us. but i don't actually know many millennials, maybe two or three. 

I’m a boomer millennial. I carry cash, am not afraid of manual labor, know how to drive stick and change more than just the tire/oil on my own car. Millennials that don’t have a mommy and daddy windfall are turbo fucked. 

@52-80 I think one thing your charts don’t really capture is that people make and spend more real money than ever, but they are leveraged to the brink. Most people couldn’t go a full month without a paycheck it would be catastrophic for most. Is it a lot of people living beyond their means? Sure I guess, but there’s a lot of people that have a lot of nice shit that are flat fucking broke. 

In America we’ve figured out the magic of making everyone a wage slave. Everyone is actually poor they just have all kinds of nice shit as long as they are employed (including health insurance) as soon as that stops the train derails and it’s fucking disaster. 

The single largest net worth contributor for the middle class was owning real estate, namely their primary residence. The issue with having a generation of renters that don’t save and have no equity in anything is a huge red flag. Now of course most of these people are going to have their parents die and give them their house or inheritance and then poof as soon as that happens maybe the wealth thing happens for them. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m a boomer millennial. I carry cash, am not afraid of manual labor, know how to drive stick and change more than just the tire/oil on my own car. Millennials that don’t have a mommy and daddy windfall are turbo fucked. 

@52-80 I think one thing your charts don’t really capture is that people make and spend more real money than ever, but they are leveraged to the brink. Most people couldn’t go a full month without a paycheck it would be catastrophic for most. Is it a lot of people living beyond their means? Sure I guess, but there’s a lot of people that have a lot of nice shit that are flat fucking broke. 

In America we’ve figured out the magic of making everyone a wage slave. Everyone is actually poor they just have all kinds of nice shit as long as they are employed (including health insurance) as soon as that stops the train derails and it’s fucking disaster. 

The single largest net worth contributor for the middle class was owning real estate, namely their primary residence. The issue with having a generation of renters that don’t save and have no equity in anything is a huge red flag. Now of course most of these people are going to have their parents die and give them their house or inheritance and then poof as soon as that happens maybe the wealth thing happens for them. 

Qfmft.  Great post.  

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Man, it's crazy people walk around this motherfucker seeing the price of goods, vehicles, and real estate and still think the way these guys do. We are all olds now and in decent positions in life but one should keep their ear to the ground because the generation behind us is struggling. You don't need charts to see it either. The birthing rates and amount of young adults living with their parents says all you need to know. 

Man, its crazy you can just make a statement about the price of goods and vehicles and completely ignore the actual price of goods and vehicles as measured nationally by the govt. 

Guy is on some Birdbox shit. 

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Zoomers have the same home ownership rate as their age-cohorts in the past. 

X-Millenials dropped 8 percentage points long term, but have been regaining over the past decade.IMG_5274.thumb.jpeg.33985809bb66b80a0273cfb0f3f79c13.jpeg

On 2/29/2024 at 7:51 AM, Captainant said:

first time GIF

Haha, I officially feel stupid for engaging a particular poster here.

Last straw was posting the "average hours" worked chart a page or two ago, without context of how many of those people are working two or more part-time jobs.

Disingenuous at best. Me now leaving this thread that went from kvetching over enshittening to the shit-defender batsignal going somehow going up and bringing in the bootlicker cavalry.

image.png.553289f8c42b7c2f4f5a1e1d1ec6b840.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, choripan said:

Disingenuous at best. Me now leaving this thread that went from kvetching over enshittening to the shit-defender batsignal going somehow going up and bringing in the bootlicker cavalry.

Well, corporate simps are gonna simp.  It is the way.

• Fuck You 1

In case some of you haven’t picked up hybrid or remote work, there’s some results of of UK that you won’t believe!!!

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Business/4-day-workweek-work-companies-share-results-after/story?id=107635577

One year after 61 U.K. companies opted to participate in a four-day week pilot study, 89% of the companies continued to keep the structure in place.

They’re working 32 hours over 4 days, with no reduction in pay

After one year, 51% of the companies have decided to implement the four-day workweek permanently and 89% have decided to continue the structure through the year.

In a follow-up survey with the participating companies' managers and CEOs, 100% reported that the four-day week had a "positive" or "very positive" impact on their organization, according to the study.

When researchers asked what the four-day structure had changed, 82% of surveyed companies reported positive impacts on staff well-being. 50% saw positive effects on reducing staff turnover and 32% said the policy had noticeably improved their recruitment, the study reports.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, choripan said:

Last straw was posting the "average hours" worked chart a page or two ago, without context of how many of those people are working two or more part-time jobs.

image.png.553289f8c42b7c2f4f5a1e1d1ec6b840.png

It’s something like 5.3% of the US workforce has multiple jobs. I’m looking for more remote work even though I live comfortably now because speeding up retirement by investing as much as possible is something I want to do.

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

In case some of you haven’t picked up hybrid or remote work, there’s some results of of UK that you won’t believe!!!

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Business/4-day-workweek-work-companies-share-results-after/story?id=107635577

One year after 61 U.K. companies opted to participate in a four-day week pilot study, 89% of the companies continued to keep the structure in place.

After one year, 51% of the companies have decided to implement the four-day workweek permanently and 89% have decided to continue the structure through the year.

In a follow-up survey with the participating companies' managers and CEOs, 100% reported that the four-day week had a "positive" or "very positive" impact on their organization, according to the study.

When researchers asked what the four-day structure had changed, 82% of surveyed companies reported positive impacts on staff well-being. 50% saw positive effects on reducing staff turnover and 32% said the policy had noticeably improved their recruitment, the study reports.

the participating organizations agreed to complete 100% of the usual workload in 80% of the time worked, shortening the workweek to 32 hours -- with no reduction of pay

so...guess a bunch of white collar jobs not really needed... Should be good outcome.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

the participating organizations agreed to complete 100% of the usual workload in 80% of the time worked, shortening the workweek to 32 hours -- with no reduction of pay

so...guess a bunch of white collar jobs not really needed... Should be good outcome.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Bunch of meetings not needed

morning check ins, weekly wrap ups gtfo

Yeah it's less of "lolz those people weren't needed" and moreso "the business is just making stupid busywork". In my job over the last few years there was a major trend to where EVERY interaction should be documented, have a ticket, you submit reports on what you did each week yadayadayada. It resulted in a ton of people leaving the org and company, and ZERO measurable improvement on any business metric like customer growth, satisfaction, or scalability. 

This year, they're finally relenting and encouraging people to actually help their customers rather than spending a day and a half filling out forms before you take any meaningful action

Posted (edited)

The absolute best part of America is that all the leftist brain geniuses are 100% free to start any business organization they like in the form and format that tickles their respective Guervas and go solve all the problems they blame on LaTe StAg CaPItAlISM!!!1!!1!

guess what…they won’t.  

Edited by Incredulity
  • Fuck You 1

The absolute best part of America is that all the leftist brain geniuses are 100% free to start any business organization they like in the form and format that tickles their respective Guervas and go solve all the problems they blame on LaTe StAg CaPItAlISM!!!1!!1!

guess what…they won’t.  

I mean…hundreds of thousands of businesses, including some quite large ones, are run quite well by “leftists.” But by all means, continue.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/1/2024 at 7:11 PM, immamac said:

The other thing about generations and how they view housing is that the “have to have a McMansion” thing became prominent from the 80s on.

I hear younger people bitching about not being able to have a nice home and a life like older people. I grew up in two or three bedroom homes with one bathroom. We were a lucky family because we had two vehicles, as my dad had a work truck.  Many of my friends were a vehicle family.

When I hear younger people saying they can’t afford a house like older people, that is incorrect.  They cannot afford a McMansion, but they can afford a 2 Bedroom place with one bathroom.  I think that reality is one of the things that started the tiny home movement.   We all kept up with the Joneses until that entire construct became too expensive.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean…hundreds of thousands of businesses, including some quite large ones, are run quite well by “leftists.” But by all means, continue.

Congratulations, that’s the point of my post.  Fucking brain genius 

7 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

CBS Saturday Morning had a little piece recently on an American company that tried the 4-day work week with positive results. It’s not a deep dive or anything but here it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, choripan said:

You really need to put that to a beat.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

CBS Saturday Morning had a little piece recently on an American company that tried the 4-day work week with positive results. It’s not a deep dive or anything but here it is.

I would rather work 4x12 hrs than 4x8.  Team ran a model back in 2008 and it worked well.

We lose so much time going back and forth, stupid meetings, talking shit at the watercooler, and no time to do laundry.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, tomahawk dunk said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cory-doctorow-enshittification-theory-why-tech-social-platforms-go-downhill-2024-3

• Cory Doctorow has a theory for why tech platforms are getting worse.
  • He calls the process "enshittification."
  • After locking users in, Doctorow believes tech platforms deliberately worsen the user experience.

Thats a nice article that better articulates much of the gripes on this thread 

For Doctorow then, platforms themselves are not the issue, given the vital intermediary function they play between two sides of a market.

The issue for him is that they are now in an "enshittified" state where they are seemingly "more important than the two sides of the market they mediate between."

"How is it that Uber is more important than the drivers and the riders? How is it that Amazon is more important than the sellers and the buyers? How is it that Facebook and Twitter are more important than publishers and readers?" he told Business Insider.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 11:54 PM, InkaUtexas said:

I would rather work 4x12 hrs than 4x8.  Team ran a model back in 2008 and it worked well.

We lose so much time going back and forth, stupid meetings, talking shit at the watercooler, and no time to do laundry.

If you're only going to put in an 8 hour day why even bother starting? 

I'm in a six person group that covers a 24/7 control room. We work (roughly) 7 on - 7 off  twelve hour shifts and it is awesome. Out of the 6 week rotation I work 2 weekend shifts and one week of nights.  Work days are long and there isn't much time after work for family things but I get 21 days off in a six week rotation. 

In my youth I worked at some manufacturing companies doing manual production labor.  Per federal regulations there were two mandatory 15 minute break periods and a lunch over an 8 hour shift.  I would have much preferred to work through the break, get shit done and go home.  Just about the time everything was going well, we would have to stop and go sit in the lunch room for 15 min.  Just enough time to stiffen up(and this is as a kid, god bless the people in their 40's) then back to the floor.  Get everything flowing well, lunch time.

I have no studies, or professional analysis but I would guess we could have gotten an 8hrs shift of work done in less than 5 hours if we just busted ass.

Obviously only working 5 hrs on an hourly rate would be less pay.  The next logical step is a piece rate pay scheme, but that leads to all kinds of fuckery.  So here we are.

1 hour ago, JMFP said:

If you're only going to put in an 8 hour day why even bother starting? 

I'm in a six person group that covers a 24/7 control room. We work (roughly) 7 on - 7 off  twelve hour shifts and it is awesome. Out of the 6 week rotation I work 2 weekend shifts and one week of nights.  Work days are long and there isn't much time after work for family things but I get 21 days off in a six week rotation. 

Yep, I run a team working in New Zealand, Kenya, Spain and DC. We work timezones quite a bit. So it means some days I barely sleep, others I get to fuck off and go to the river. I take a lot of naps during the day though. Wife is just starting to get used to me falling asleep around 5PM for a few hours.

Loved the rotation we had when assigned to Dubai. 5x10, one day being on call, and then 21off every 60.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/3/2024 at 9:19 AM, Captainant said:

Thats a nice article that better articulates much of the gripes on this thread 

The mediators are more important than the two sides of the market they mediate between.  Seems like the rest of the economy saw the “health care provider” market and said “we need in on that shit.” 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:04 PM, choripan said:

🤣🤣🤣 holy fuck hot-take city.  the ignoramus continuing to throw utterly BLIND CONJECTURES one after another.

what is the context of how many people work two or more part-time jobs? how many people work part-time at all?  how are the average hours calculated?????

you know this is not some deep secret information hidden in the recesses of washington, right?  its public information.

you should feel stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

78% of the labor force is classified as full-time (35hr+).  22% is part-time.  only 10% of which (=2% of total labor force) self-reported that they were seeking more hours.

in the absolute worst-case scenario, if you removed all the multi-job respondees *exclusively* from the full-time pool, that would reduce the bona-fide full time workers to 73%.

unemployment rate and multi-job worker rate are both around all-time low for as long as those data were measured.  how come the hot-take boys cant seem to ever substantiate any of their claims?

Business daddy says that his big KPIs are happy so everyone should just shut up and dribble, no need to actually critically think about historically extreme inequality or the accumulation of power in our oligarch class

33 minutes ago, safe sex said:

amazing. 

this person had never heard of a business model called a lease. that offices do with printers, cars….and they themselves do with their apartment. 

they don’t realize it’s possible to buy their own damn printer. having a new option, that people are free to not partake in, is somehow offensive.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

amazing. 

this person had never heard of a business model called a lease. that offices do with printers, cars….and they themselves do with their apartment. 

they don’t realize it’s possible to buy their own damn printer. having a new option, that people are free to not partake in, is somehow offensive.  

Now do the right to repair your own tractor.  Because your response is exactly what the response was when John Deere started to pull their shit.

d22c5e09-fd62-4b6a-a12b-685e77d1f42a_tex

ffe70bbd-295e-4c38-b3a5-883280acfabd_tex

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Now do the right to repair your own tractor.  Because your response is exactly what the response was when John Deere started to pull their shit.

d22c5e09-fd62-4b6a-a12b-685e77d1f42a_tex

ffe70bbd-295e-4c38-b3a5-883280acfabd_tex

I know nothing about tractors, so im not gonna plant my flag there with an opinion. Do people even buy them outright?

For now just have to watch my doors for the evil men from hewlett packard

image.jpeg.d8374333d6f0945d46abba2f09ae843c.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I know nothing about tractors, so im not gonna plant my flag there with an opinion. Do people even buy them outright?

For now just have to watch my doors for the evil men from hewlett packard

image.jpeg.d8374333d6f0945d46abba2f09ae843c.jpeg

While there is some leasing, most of those tractors are going to be owned by a farmer within 3 years of being built, and will be in service for decades. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I just wanna know if i read his assertion correctly: john deere blocked the right to repair if tractors, which points to hp not allowing people to buy printers?

like, disney offered a subscription to a service that it “monitors”. if you pay them a $20/mo, you can watch their catalog, but you have to be connected to the internet, and they know what you watch. the absolute horror. 

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

john deere blocked the right to repair if tractors, which points to hp not allowing people to buy printers?

As I understand Deere has proprietary software on their equipment that they don’t allow anyone but dealers to maintain or repair.  I believe that then prevents parts maintenance either formally or informally.

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I just wanna know if i read his assertion correctly: john deere blocked the right to repair if tractors, which points to hp not allowing people to buy printers?

like, disney offered a subscription to a service that it “monitors”. if you pay them a $20/mo, you can watch their catalog, but you have to be connected to the internet, and they know what you watch. the absolute horror. 

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

As I understand Deere has proprietary software on their equipment that they don’t allow anyone but dealers to maintain or repair.  I believe that then prevents parts maintenance either formally or informally.

They're both using the same intellectual property slight of hand and abuse of the DMCA wherein they encrypt all the connections and put a chip in things that don't need a chip - like in the axle for your tractor or in your ink cartridge - that adds no functionality and solely exists to limit functionality to the spec of the manufacturer and guarantee that NOTHING else but an OEM part will work on it. 

Since it's encrypted, breaking that encryption to add your own parts is a violation of the DMCA and you could find your ass getting sued. JD has not yet taken this route because suing your customers is a bad look, but they've been fighting right to repair laws tooth and nail.

HP and JD are both strong opponents of right to repair, because they would much rather have a monopoly on all service in perpetuity on the products they sell - and have the threat of legal penalty if anyone dares to repair something on their own

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They're both using the same intellectual property slight of hand and abuse of the DMCA wherein they encrypt all the connections and put a chip in things that don't need a chip - like in the axle for your tractor or in your ink cartridge - that adds no functionality and solely exists to limit functionality to the spec of the manufacturer and guarantee that NOTHING else but an OEM part will work on it. 

Since it's encrypted, breaking that encryption to add your own parts is a violation of the DMCA and you could find your ass getting sued. JD has not yet taken this route because suing your customers is a bad look, but they've been fighting right to repair laws tooth and nail.

HP and JD are both strong opponents of right to repair, because they would much rather have a monopoly on all service in perpetuity on the products they sell - and have the threat of legal penalty if anyone dares to repair something on their own

Also Apple. They've fought regulation on this (and regulation in general) at almost every turn. They also act like Mafia bosses and take a 30% cut on anything and everything until Fortnite tried to fight back. People want to have cognitive dissonance (usually apple fan bois) about their role in all this stuff too.

• Rage+1 2

Deere sells you the hardware (cast iron, tires, pistons, etc.) but retains the software you need for the engine and transmission.

No problem until it’s time to fix it.  Your service guy needs to fix plug his laptop into it and read the problem codes.  Deere got real uppity about who they’d license that software too.  Only wanted their dealers to have it.  Royal might correct me, but I think Deere has walked that back some?  Letting farmers and independent mechanics license the repair software?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Deere sells you the hardware (cast iron, tires, pistons, etc.) but retains the software you need for the engine and transmission.

No problem until it’s time to fix it.  Your service guy needs to fix plug his laptop into it and read the problem codes.  Deere got real uppity about who they’d license that software too.  Only wanted their dealers to have it.  Royal might correct me, but I think Deere has walked that back some?  Letting farmers and independent mechanics license the repair software?

Pretty sure they lost a lawsuit that made them walk it back.

Also, an aside speaking of the cartel that is Apple. Saw this today. Europe doesn't play around like we do here.

Stat: Nearly $2 billion. That’s how much the European Union is fining Apple for prohibiting app developers from notifying users about “alternative and cheaper” music streaming subscriptions.

• Like 1