Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

9 hours ago, troph said:

Not the same as airplanes falling out of the sky but private equity bought Torchys and they got rid of a bunch of tacos because the costs were too much for rapey profit levels. I know not the greatest tacos but whatever. Salmon, sausage and barbacoa taken off the menu because $$$$.

I had their barbacoa two hours ago?

58 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I had their barbacoa two hours ago?

They will be phasing it out. Our Torchys is their test kitchen. It’s going away, at least that’s what the bartender told us Saturday afternoon when I ordered the salmon taco and she said they don’t have it anymore, nor the sausage, barbacoa, and the other stores are next. Menu even still shows them available. Nope.

• Rage+1 2

On 12/31/2023 at 4:16 PM, slorch said:

Deliberate theft ( rental if you want to do the gymnastics) is bullshit.

He actually described how they are better than most with their policies.

Fuck em.   Just take what you want.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it."

- some dude named Leo

Do you think Costco is not aware that thing like this happen and has not deliberately decide to eat that small loss in order to maintain its strong reputation and brand loyalty?

31 minutes ago, troph said:

They will be phasing it out. Our Torchys is their test kitchen. It’s going away, at least that’s what the bartender told us Saturday afternoon when I ordered the salmon taco and she said they don’t have it anymore, nor the sausage, barbacoa, and the other stores are next. Menu even still shows them available. Nope.

Both tacos?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Do you think Costco is not aware that thing like this happen and has not deliberately decide to eat that small loss in order to maintain its strong reputation and brand loyalty?

Doesn’t matter. Again, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.  There doesn’t have to be a law for every decent act.

47 minutes ago, troph said:

What???? I just had the Mr. Orange taco last week and I love that one. So much flavor.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, troph said:

Mr. Orange is my go-to taco at Torchys. If they take it off the menu I doubt I will ever drop in at a Torchys again.

Love all the bending over backwards to justify theft over the last couple of pages.   I wouldn't have said anything about the $100 mistake either, but that's because I'm a flawed individual, and I don't really give a shit.  Pretending like you're not a thief when you're blatantly a thief is ridiculous.  Just own it.  The extremely weak attempts at justifying the behavior (mostly not from the poster who committed the act) are ridiculous but entertaining to read. 

The enshittening isn't just happening to corporations and their products/services.  It's happening to all of us.  But one thing has remained constant through the history of mankind:  we'll come up with any half-assed justification to get one over on others, whether it's the tribe in the next valley or the "evil" corporation down at the shopping center.   It all boils down to some version of, "They do something that I consider bad, and therefore it doesn't matter if I treat them poorly."  It's the same weird instinct that makes people more likely to break into vehicles that have messy interiors or to litter on a street that already has graffiti sprayed on the buildings.  We justify our own bad actions by the bad actions of others.  It's ethically bankrupt but hardwired into our subconscious. 

Torchy's is bad tourist food.

• Hook 'Em 1

Torchy's is good fast food.

11 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I wouldn't have said anything about the $100 mistake either, but that's because I'm a flawed individual, and I don't really give a shit. 

If too many people act this way, it leads to a pretty fucked up society. I work in a service industry so I have to deal with it every day and I can guarantee that that sort of attitude is detrimental to others. Luckily there are still some others who try a little kindness and sort of make up for the rest. Unfortunately, it is much easier to remember the one asshole and forget about the 20 regular folk.

8 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

lol at the torchys stans in here. talk about pinche gringo tacos.

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Torchy's is bad tourist food.

FFS, both of these.  There are literally 100 taco trailers in gas station parking lots around town with better - and priced-right - tacos available.  F'n Torchy's....what the fuck?

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FFS, both of these.  There are literally 100 taco trailers in gas station parking lots around town with better - and priced-right - tacos available.  F'n Torchy's....what the fuck?

First, I don't live where you do so my choices are slightly amended by that number. Second, if I want a nice barbacoa taco or a really good lunch plate with a killer salsa verde I will go to the mom and pop taqueria within a half mile of my house. Torchy's has the odd taco (like the Mr. Orange) that my mom and pop place aren't interested in serving and that's also fine. They both get my $$ only now it looks like I'm staying closer to home for all the tacos.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

First, I don't live where you do so my choices are slightly amended by that number. Second, if I want a nice barbacoa taco or a really good lunch plate with a killer salsa verde I will go to the mom and pop taqueria within a half mile of my house. Torchy's has the odd taco (like the Mr. Orange) that my mom and pop place aren't interested in serving and that's also fine. They both get my $$ only now it looks like I'm staying closer to home for all the tacos.

The really cool thing I've noticed these past 10 years or so is throughout Texas and much of the west, even small rural towns that you wouldn't expect to have a taco trailer....now have a taco trailer, or a taqueria (often in a building that used to be a Pizza Hut or a DQ).  And they're legit.  It's pretty cool when you go to Redneckville, Texas, and you end up meeting your witness or client at a taqueria that 1) serves real-deal good mexican grub (carne guisada, barbacoa, real salsas, etc.) and 2) has tables full of white farmers drinking coffee and ordering "way-voes rancheros" and such.  It's always funny when you sit down to breakfast with Jimmy Earl and he says "hey, have you ever had this carney geesada stuff?  It's really damned good here."  Damn right it is.  Peace and understanding through tasty, affordable messican food -- that's my platform.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The really cool thing I've noticed these past 10 years or so is throughout Texas and much of the west, even small rural towns that you wouldn't expect to have a taco trailer....now have a taco trailer, or a taqueria (often in a building that used to be a Pizza Hut or a DQ).  And they're legit.  It's pretty cool when you go to Redneckville, Texas, and you end up meeting your witness or client at a taqueria that 1) serves real-deal good mexican grub (carne guisada, barbacoa, real salsas, etc.) and 2) has tables full of white farmers drinking coffee and ordering "way-voes rancheros" and such.  It's always funny when you sit down to breakfast with Jimmy Earl and he says "hey, have you ever had this carney geesada stuff?  It's really damned good here."  Damn right it is.  Peace and understanding through tasty, affordable messican food -- that's my platform.

51F19r4qV3L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

14 hours ago, troph said:

That’s what they told me When I ordered it and they said no more, ever. Fuck private equity.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for their customers to offer a correction.

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I'm a basic white girl and their queso slaps. Their tacos are fine for what they are. Hope they don't get rid of the Crossroads 🤷‍♀️

Right. It's an easy option of something the entire family can enjoy. Wife gets a Fried Avocado, kids get breakfast tacos, we all get the yummy queso. Apparently something not enshitting is Surly ability to shit on something people enjoy. That's still going strong after all these years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

First... Tacodeli > Torchy's

Second... Mr. Orange was one of the tacos where I didn't feel guilty eating it since it wasn't a calorie bomb.  My other go-to was The Democrat and correct me if I'm wrong but that's the barbacoa, right?  FML.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Torchy's is good fast food.

If too many people act this way, it leads to a pretty fucked up society. I work in a service industry so I have to deal with it every day and I can guarantee that that sort of attitude is detrimental to others. Luckily there are still some others who try a little kindness and sort of make up for the rest. Unfortunately, it is much easier to remember the one asshole and forget about the 20 regular folk.

I agree.  I was employing a rhetorical technique, perhaps poorly.   You left out the rest of my post, which made it clear I don't think that behavior is acceptable.

10 minutes ago, texasdago said:

First... Tacodeli > Torchy's

Second... Mr. Orange was one of the tacos where I didn't feel guilty eating it since it wasn't a calorie bomb.  My other go-to was The Democrat and correct me if I'm wrong but that's the barbacoa, right?  FML.  

Yeah the Democrat is the barbacoa (and they claim it's under 200kcal). Pour one out..

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Torchy's has the odd taco (like the Mr. Orange) that my mom and pop place aren't interested in serving and that's also fine.

This. I don't consume meat very often and prefer fish tacos. Most Mexican places do not serve fish tacos or serve a tasteless tilapia version. The Mr. Orange always hits the spot for me. Plus it's convenient. There are some Baja and Mexican seafood restaurants that make better fish tacos but those are out of the way.

On 1/2/2024 at 4:32 PM, Zepol87 said:

I return shit to Costco all the time when I’m tired of using it. Need some new couches so I’m getting ready to return these ones also.  Fuck off 

30 years ago, I worked at a sporting goods chain. A guy came in with an old-ass 1980s microwave and said "I'd like to retun this". We told him we don't sell microwaves, so no chance he bought it here. He just put it on the floor and walked out. The manager put it in the dumpster about a month later.

1 hour ago, nolongerU2horn said:

God, this is exhausting. You know what else balances out a power dynamic?  One side valuing the other and voluntarily ceding power to that other side, which by almost all accounts is what Costco management has historically done with their employees.  Costco has demonstrated in the real world that a cooperative relationship between corporate leadership and employees can actually exist and be relatively successful.

Rather than applaud it and treat it as a model to be emulated, labor pundits slap on the "union-busting" label.  In their minds, an adversarial relationship between labor and management is the only possible solution.  Well, I guess it is the only possible solution that puts a paycheck into organizers' pockets.  Heaven forbid that we all actually try to figure out a way to work together rather than keep each other in check with the threat of mutually assured destruction.  

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 7

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The only two tacos worth a shit were the Double Wide, which hasn't been seen in years, and the off menu Ace of Spades.  If there's no more sausage, there's no more Ace of Spades. Lemmy sad.

Apparently the Secret menu is going the route of the dodo bird too. 

* I get it, there are better tacos. Add that to the list of the great enshitification 

7 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

God, this is exhausting. You know what else balances out a power dynamic?  One side valuing the other and voluntarily ceding power to that other side, which by almost all accounts is what Costco management has historically done with their employees.  Costco has demonstrated in the real world that a cooperative relationship between corporate leadership and employees can actually exist and be relatively successful.

Rather than applaud it and treat it as a model to be emulated, labor pundits slap on the "union-busting" label.  In their minds, an adversarial relationship between labor and management is the only possible solution.  Well, I guess it is the only possible solution that puts a paycheck into organizers' pockets.  Heaven forbid that we all actually try to figure out a way to work together rather than keep each other in check with the threat of mutually assured destruction.  

Thank God Yes GIF by NETFLIX

13 hours ago, safe sex said:

Them being bought by private equity probably closes the door on my dream of them putting the Chile Wagon (this month's TotM) on the permanent menu, goddammit

That’s a really good taco, for white girl tacos I mean.

• Drool 1

I mean, I honestly can't tell what that is.  Lincoln Riley's brisket looked like a dried out turd of a mummified scarab shell, but you could still tell what it was supposed to be.

That could be-- I don't know-- meatloaf with ketchup?  Steaks in a pyrex?  Sliced beets?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I mean, I honestly can't tell what that is.  Lincoln Riley's brisket looked like a dried out turd of a mummified scarab shell, but you could still tell what it was supposed to be.

That could be-- I don't know-- meatloaf with ketchup?  Steaks in a pyrex?  Sliced beets?

Kinda looks like meatloaf on a stick.

• Haha 1