Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again

StassneyHorn

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Cool.

What level of education do most police officers have?

Level of education that police officers have

Education % of police officers

High school diploma 35%

Certificate or associate degree 56%

Bachelor's degree 9%

Master's degree 0%

Ironic. My friend, an APD detective, has a master’s of physical theater. Said it came in handy when he worked the street.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/21/2024 at 4:21 AM, Neonmoon said:

Credit card debt is up.

Credit card debt is always up. 

Fun fact: what the NY Fed can see is statement balances. They can't see how much of that is paid off vs how much is carried. 

An actual libertarian in 2024: Won’t somebody please think of the 35% of law enforcement who have college education?

Merciful Joey B: I will.

The same tragic hero: Wont somebody please realize only 35% of cops have extra education?

6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Ironic. My friend, an APD detective, has a master’s of physical theater. Said it came in handy when he worked the street.

So literally a rounding error to the 0%. Between the politicians and cops, we elevate to positions of authoritah some of the most stupid and least educated people in our society. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

An actual libertarian in 2024: Won’t somebody please think of the 35% of law enforcement who have college education?

Merciful Joey B: I will.

The same tragic hero: Wont somebody please realize only 35% of cops have extra education?

Do more coke. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Talk amongst yourselves.  I’ll give you a topic.  Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. Discuss 

Good thing it not Road Island then 

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

Credit card debt is always up. 

Fun fact: what the NY Fed can see is statement balances. They can't see how much of that is paid off vs how much is carried. 

Really?  I have my CCs on autopay every month, and it can be thousands sometimes if we are splurging on something like furniture or Christmas. That's such a pointless stat if it doesn't subtract debt that is less than 1 month old. Populations increase, people are incentivized to use credit cards for points/miles/etc, cash is being disincentivized and electronic spending is being increased across the board.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons why CC debt numbers would continue to increase regardless of if the debt is covered or not. I guess I should have known better, given which side always brings up that talking point... 

17 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Really?  I have my CCs on autopay every month, and it can be thousands sometimes if we are splurging on something like furniture or Christmas. That's such a pointless stat if it doesn't subtract debt that is less than 1 month old. Populations increase, people are incentivized to use credit cards for points/miles/etc, cash is being disincentivized and electronic spending is being increased across the board.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons why CC debt numbers would continue to increase regardless of if the debt is covered or not. I guess I should have known better, given which side always brings up that talking point... 

Reminds me of someone on this site complaining about CC debt and then casually mentioned they booked NCAA tournament tickets/hotels/flights on their credit card

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Reminds me of someone on this site complaining about CC debt and then casually mentioned they booked NCAA tournament tickets/hotels/flights on their credit card

Right, but that's only an issue if they don't pay it off in time and incur fees, and even then, 1 month is probably too strict, some cards don't start charging fees for up to a year. CC debt isn't an issue in and of itself, it's if people can't pay the balance and get hit with fees, which creates a debt spiral sending them towards larger issues like being evicted.  

I actually have a friend at work who makes very good money, but has something north of 6 figures of total CC debt across several cards. Him and his wife spend like drunken sailors, but he plays some stupid credit balance swap games to move the debt around every 6 months to avoid incurring fees and paying it off. He also gets millions of airline miles this way so they can go home and visit family in Taiwan several times a year, so maybe it's worth it. I personally cannot live knowing I owe that much in debt that could be hit with 20-30% monthly charges. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Every December is a new highest credit card debt load ever, unless there's a recession. And yet, people who should know better (economics reporters such as Marketplace) get really excited after each December report comes in about credit card debt being at an all time high (they also say dumb things such as "as the economy slows" when the growth rate goes from 4% to 3%). 

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Your attempt at creating a wedge issue out of loan forgiveness by shitting on cops was bookmarked.

Not sure it's a real novel wedge. I thought it was pretty well known that cops are generally un- and under-educated. About the last group of people I would ever think about in terms of a conversation about student loan debt or forgiveness. They have to be on like a top 10 list of highest paid professions that do not require a college degree. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure it's a real novel wedge. I thought it was pretty well known that cops are generally un- and under-educated. About the last group of people I would ever think about in terms of a conversation about student loan debt or forgiveness. They have to be on like a top 10 list of highest paid professions that do not require a college degree. 

You think police officers are highly paid? And before you counter with "I said top 10 highest paid professions without a college degree," lets just focus on you answering the first question. Becuase personally, despite having a degree, I don't think teachers make shit, and teachers and cops make on par (average salary for a cop in Houston is 66k). 
So do you think cops are highly paid?

Personally, my gut says that lots fo careers that depend on technical trades and your own hours for jobs would place higher. I know a let of well to do A/C technicians, lots of machinists that make good money. Guys who do their own things in construction and roofing. Electricians can make serious bank. Plumbers. Any career that involves personal hustle as part of the equation can make way more than a basic salaried position, like a police officer. I also know a lot of Executive Assitants that make mid six figures. Ditto office managers. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think police officers are highly paid? And before you counter with "I said top 10 highest paid professions without a college degree," lets just focus on you answering the first question. Becuase personally, despite having a degree, I don't think teachers make shit, and teachers and cops make on par (average salary for a cop in Houston is 66k). 

Personally, my gut says that lots fo careers that depend on technical trades and your own hours for jobs would place higher. I know a let of well to do A/C technicians, lots of machinists that make good money. Guys who do their own things in construction and roofing. Electricians can make serious bank. Plumbers. Any career that involves personal hustle as part of the equation can make way more than a basic salaried position, like a police officer. I also know a lot of Executive Assitants that make mid six figures. Ditto office managers. 

Cops that want it seem to be able to find plenty of overtime or private work to kick that number up by 50%. 

i guess an equivalency would be teachers doing private tutoring or just working some secondary summer job?

and both come with a pension system so that’s an added monetary benefit that increases their total lifetime compensation a good bit, depending on the scope of compensation we are discussing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Realtors have got to be near the top of the list of uneducated jobs. Granted, a lot of them probably don't do well and bring down the average, but there are a ton of morons out there doing that job and making 3% for doing very little. 

• Rage+1 1

It's LIKE the old joke about a plumber charging a client $250/hour and the client saying "jeez, I'm an engineer and I only charge $150/hour", to which the plumber responds "yeah, that's what I used to charge as an engineer, too".

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Realtors have got to be near the top of the list of uneducated jobs. Granted, a lot of them probably don't do well and bring down the average, but there are a ton of morons out there doing that job and making 3% for doing very little. 

realty and booze distribution are two institutions that need to die. I can sell my own house. And breweries and distilleries don't need a middle man.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

It's LIKE the old joke about a plumber charging a client $250/hour and the client saying "jeez, I'm an engineer and I only charge $150/hour", to which the plumber responds "yeah, that's what I used to charge as an engineer, too".

whoah, what engineer only charges $150/hr? you got a name?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Mark Cuban gif.

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think the numbers you posted yourself and the amount of law enforcement officers with criminal justice degrees working in higher roles above beat cop would line up.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cops that want it seem to be able to find plenty of overtime or private work to kick that number up by 50%. 

i guess an equivalency would be teachers doing private tutoring or just working some secondary summer job?

and both come with a pension system so that’s an added monetary benefit that increases their total lifetime compensation a good bit, depending on the scope of compensation we are discussing. 

Maybe. So maybe you're topping out at low six figures, and you're probably working lets call it 60 hours a week to do it. That sounds exhausting. 

And with teachers, well, part of the sell was 3 months off, but reality, they all basically HAVE to work those 3 months for the extra money just to subsist. Or in some cases, buy their own school supplies. As for a lifetime pension...tha'ts not a guaranty. The US Post Office out front can tell you that, a pension system can disappear depending on a political decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, esp for a "profession" that only requires a HS diploma as a prereq. Here's APD's package. Base comp is 50k while you are in the academy, at 2 year service mark base is over $80k. That does not include a 15k hiring bonus, the pension, or the other financial incentives that are part of the package. Yes. Cops are very well compensated. You bring up teachers, and I think that most teachers would probably jump at the comp package outlined at the link. And teachers actually have an educational barrier to entry to their profession.      

https://www.austintexas.gov/apdrecruiting/pay-benefits

Literally anyone with a pulse can meet the minimum employment requirements.

All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to apply for the position of police cadet:

Must be 20.5 years of age at time of application

Must possess a High School Diploma or GED

Must have a valid driver’s license

Must be a U.S. citizen (by birth or naturalized)

Must read, write, and speak English

59 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. So maybe you're topping out at low six figures, and you're probably working lets call it 60 hours a week to do it. That sounds exhausting. 

And with teachers, well, part of the sell was 3 months off, but reality, they all basically HAVE to work those 3 months for the extra money just to subsist. Or in some cases, buy their own school supplies. As for a lifetime pension...tha'ts not a guaranty. The US Post Office out front can tell you that, a pension system can disappear depending on a political decision. 

And keep in mind that teachers cannot collect Social Security.  Those pensions are better than many who save on their own for retirement, but they aren't going to have you living on easy street.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

And keep in mind that teachers cannot collect Social Security.  Those pensions are better than many who save on their own for retirement, but they aren't going to have you living on easy street.

Do teachers pay into social security?

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do teachers pay into social security?

Not from their teaching salaries, but it doesn't matter; they may have paid into SS in other jobs, or their spouse may have, but they cannot receive SS benefits, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Not from their teaching salaries, but it doesn't matter; they may have paid into SS in other jobs, or their spouse may have, but they cannot receive SS benefits, anyway.

I have so many questions, but I’ll do my own research. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I'll admit that I may be mistaken, but that is what happened to my mother in law and father in law.  He had time in the Navy and other employment that predated the changes in SS during the Reagan admin, so he received his SS retirement benefits.  She was a teacher the entire time and could not receive SS survivor benefits.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anti windfall provisions of getting government pension and drawing SS.  It varies by state.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

As a government employee with a pension, I don't pay into SS although I have in the past. Not sure if I get to collect any of it upon retirement.

State of Texas employee.  I pay into SS and expect to receive it along with my pension (based on my recent, panicked research).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Every Halloween the trees are filled with underwear. Every Spring the toilets explode.

Who put the fizzies in the pool at the swim meet?  

Then as of this moment, the Trumps are double secret probation!  

Not terribly unlike you, I am not thrilled with another Biden administration.  But I don't want another Marmalard administration with the Hitler Youth.  And so I'm voting for Robert Hoover (aka Joe Biden) for President of Delta House.  Sure, he's the lamest guy on the Row, but he's a known quantity, supports the Jewish House, and doesn't fall asleep at important legal proceedings like the IFC or State Court.  

Ooh ooh
You might not ever get rich
But let me tell ya it's better than diggin' a ditch
There ain't no tellin' who you might meet
A movie star or maybe even an Indian chief

(Workin')
At the car wash
Workin' at the car wash, girl
Come on and sing it with me
(Car wash)
Sing it with the feelin' y'all
(Car wash, girl)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Foosters said:

As a government employee with a pension, I don't pay into SS although I have in the past. Not sure if I get to collect any of it upon retirement.

I'm just a W2 wage earner paying into SS for more than half my life through payroll tax, and I'm all but certain I'm not gonna get to collect dick from the program

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm just a W2 wage earner paying into SS for more than half my life through payroll tax, and I'm all but certain I'm not gonna get to collect dick from the program

That's silly. Of course you are.

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Who put the fizzies in the pool at the swim meet?  

Then as of this moment, the Trumps are double secret probation!  

Not terribly unlike you, I am not thrilled with another Biden administration.  But I don't want another Marmalard administration with the Hitler Youth.  And so I'm voting for Robert Hoover (aka Joe Biden) for President of Delta House.  Sure, he's the lamest guy on the Row, but he's a known quantity, supports the Jewish House, and doesn't fall asleep at important legal proceedings like the IFC or State Court.  

But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

We are the same person with the same gripes. One day you will realize this. My guitar weeps at this post, and with you, too.