2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

If you are too fucking stupid to realize earths waning magnetic field allowed Aurora Borealis shows as far south as Puerto Rico from simple X5 solar flares is a problem well I ain't got nuttin for you man. It's a shame the parasympathetic nervous system keeps you breathing because you are clearly too stupid to do so on your own.

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Pimphand said:

If you are too fucking stupid to realize earths waning magnetic field allowed Aurora Borealis shows as far south as Puerto Rico from simple X5 solar flares is a problem well I ain't got nuttin for you man. It's a shame the parasympathetic nervous system keeps you breathing because you are clearly too stupid to do so on your own.

Your mom was parasympathetic to deez nutz.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pimphand said:

earths waning magnetic field

I’ve seen this movie. We just need to jump start the core. We got this 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've poked around a little bit on Centerpoint's webpage, but haven't been able to locate any sort of outage map. Does something like that exist? My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter live in Timbergrove and lost power during the storm. They drove up to Austin yesterday to wait for power to get reconnected.

17 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

I've poked around a little bit on Centerpoint's webpage, but haven't been able to locate any sort of outage map. Does something like that exist? My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter live in Timbergrove and lost power during the storm. They drove up to Austin yesterday to wait for power to get reconnected.

It exists but it doesn’t work right now. Or doesn’t work consistently 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Use that pimphand like ya mean it bruh. 

bitch slap GIF

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My uncles in the Heights south of I-10 just got power back on, so center point is definitely making progress 

My warehouse is 400 yards away from the downed high tension towers at 290 between Mangum and 34th.   

Centerpoint has crews their surveying.  

• Like 1

“We’ve got 10 transmission lines (towers) down across our footprint, seven of which are in Harris County. We hope to have our outage tracker back up and running soon but this is going to be right now we are looking at a multi-day event,” Paul Lock, CenterPoint Energy, said.

https://www.khou.com/article/weather/when-will-power-be-back-on/285-db87ba45-d59a-4a42-ad28-fa9d0a5d1d17

36 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My uncles in the Heights south of I-10 just got power back on, so center point is definitely making progress 

In going full pedant here. Technically nothing south of 10 is the heights. Heights creep is real. 

we got confirmation that power is on in Timbergrove south of 11th street…of course the real nasty shit is north of 11th street but progress is definitely being made. I’ve wondered at how Centerpoint is going to handle this. Do everything except the nastiest areas of Houston first, or allocate some percentage in our area and split the rest over Houston. Going to be interesting to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I can’t help myself. 

So what are we going to do about it? Help us workshop the solution to the fact that some facet of Space can obliterate life on earth at any moment. Should so like, buy that SPF 4 million sunscreen that vampires use? Or just worry about other shit?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In going full pedant here. Technically nothing south of 10 is the heights. Heights creep is rea

The Office Thank You GIF

Memorial Heights

Sawyer Heights

Washington Heights

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can’t help myself. 

So what are we going to do about it? Help us workshop the solution to the fact that some facet of Space can obliterate life on earth at any moment. Should so like, buy that SPF 4 million sunscreen that vampires use? Or just worry about other shit?

Dude,global warming will save us while by killing us first.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t help myself. 

Obviously. The solution is to gather in groups, maybe like a flock and follow the seagulls prophets and run away. So far away.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

From the pictures I’ve seen, “trees in bodies” probably can’t be ruled out

hits close to home. Went to Baytown yesterday to get ice and an hourly motel off 10 had a billboard and tree collapsed on half of it. Ugly site. Prayers to anyone in there getting a hummer or giving 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

hits close to home. Went to Baytown yesterday to get ice and an hourly motel off 10 had a billboard and tree collapsed on half of it. Ugly site. Prayers to anyone in there getting a hummer or giving 

So how were the hookers at the roach motel? We all know you partook. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So how were the hookers at the roach motel? We all know you partook. 

just passing by, it was a large mess 

a large / active machine shop on Lockwood was missing big chunks of roof too 

Posted (edited)

Is it common to walk away from stick construction with no cross bracing if you don’t have the shearing on?  I at least couldn’t see any, and I admit my eyes suck, but seems like you’re asking for problems. 

edit - I think I see some, but looks like it goes mostly front to back

Edited by UT_OB1

Gotta get the sheathing on. Especially with no interior shear walls (sheathing on interior walls at key places).  It will cracker box without.  Common in high winds.    Builders risk policy should pick up the tab if builder included wind damage in policy.    Most do for this very reason.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chopper said:

No indication exactly where this house under construction was. 3 story, stick framed, no sheathing. Video of its collapse, in case it doesn't embed.

That pile looks very similar to what I saw walking my dog around the morning after

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Power still out in 77008. Fortunately battery and solar have been clutch today. Seems like this area may be up last. 

I’m also 77008. It just came back up so you may be in the next 24 hours 

• Like 1

I finally went out for a drive.  Sinclair Elm had its portables crushed, and most of their big trees are down.  Powerline down on the road and another being held up by a crane.    Timbergrove smells like a sawmill.    The strangest part to me are the trees that are just pruned from the top but otherwise still standing just fine.   Also saw one fense blown out and 2 doors down another blown inward.   Seems like Bob Stoops was in town.

21 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I finally went out for a drive.  Sinclair Elm had its portables crushed, and most of their big trees are down.  Powerline down on the road and another being held up by a crane.    Timbergrove smells like a sawmill.    The strangest part to me are the trees that are just pruned from the top but otherwise still standing just fine.   Also saw one fense blown out and 2 doors down another blown inward.   Seems like Bob Stoops was in town.

We just drove by there tonight as well. @SydneyCarton was right. Looks like a warzone. Maybe 200-300 downed trees in Lazybrook/Timbergrove alone. At least 8-10 trees resting on/severed power lines in that area

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0229.jpeg

IMG_0228.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Power still out in 77008. Fortunately battery and solar have been clutch today. Seems like this area may be up last. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I’m also 77008. It just came back up so you may be in the next 24 hours 

I’m told that the segment of Timbergrove between ella and tc jester has power. West of Ella no dice still, but that’s not surprising as the power lines and poles were all felled. 

47 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m told that the segment of Timbergrove between ella and tc jester has power. West of Ella no dice still, but that’s not surprising as the power lines and poles were all felled. 

take it for what it’s worth …

IMG_0340.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, Hook1997 said:

Is that a house?  Looks like a fancy high school.  Pretty cool idea, the wife could live in a whole separate wing.

I'm reading this a day late and was literally gonna ask what kind of middle school has that nice of pool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3