2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

The new Twisters movie has some more odd choices.

Like the driver of this dashcam at the end, as he has a zombie-like guy lurching towards him while covered in blood, casually calling his girl.

"Hey baby, I'm stuck in the storm downtown."

The End.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Since the May 16 storm, CenterPoint says it has: 
Replaced more than 800 miles of electrical wires, which is farther than the distance from Houston to El Paso.
Replaced more than 700 transformers & approx. 2,000 poles
Restored nearly 900,000 customers as of noon, 5/23

Lots of the crews that came in are going to be kept around to do maintenance work for the next month. If there was damage assessed that wasn’t necessarily outage related but still needed work, it will be getting taken care of.

13 hours ago, F250 said:

I was trimming trees earlier today and it was fucking hot and humid. Fuck this weather.

image.thumb.png.839be9c8924e4bfc98b13fa479d0bdfc.png

confirming the correct use of the word fucking 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Was reading a report from a weather nerd talking about the energy conditions are ripe for some strong storms tonight and tomorrow. We need the rain but don’t need hail or worse. Weather has taken too many lives this weekend 

image.png.8daa15197280a6672e372606d8e8a7fc.png

Dont know if you were reading r/austin, but there is a weather dork starting to limber up over there:

Just an absolute powder keg of a setup with 6000-8000 j/kg of CAPE. Any storm that can sustain and grow in size can easily drop softballs. Ideally that doesn't happen. Models started calling this out yesterday at 18z and actually verified, which is impressive.

Also, this comment is an early heads up for tomorrow night. All signs are pointing towards the potential for near hurricane force wind gusts with the potential MCS arriving from the north. Storm potential goes up after 7PM.

Sorry. Jargon was directed at OP, who I know is a fellow weather nerd.

CAPE is essentially the available energy for thunderstorms. 1000-2000j/kg is sufficient for strong storms. 3000-5000 j/kg is sufficient for severe to very severe storms. 5000+ is involved with storms that can produce baseball to softball sized hail rather frequently. So with Central Texas being at 6000+, any sustained cell can drop absolutely monster hail. The 18z comment was referring to the midday model runs yesterday, signaling that these storms would bubble up in the Hill Country. Something that the runs from this morning didn't quite draw up.

Link to models: https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php

Edited by Blotto
link
  • Hook 'Em 3

I keep getting alerts on my phone that say "thunderstorms possible" but when I go outside, I don't see shit in the sky except clouds giving me the middle finger.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, F250 said:

I keep getting alerts on my phone that say "thunderstorms possible" but when I go outside, I don't see shit in the sky except clouds giving me the middle finger.

I watered my plants trying to do my part.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Is he referring to tonight or tomorrow?

He's saying that tomorrow will be the more serious of the two. But there is a possibility for some shit tonight also, so keep an eye out on those cells that are petering out west of here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Had this happen to my dad and I about 6 years ago in Denver right up by the foothills. I got a new roof. It nailed the shit out of my parents' Honda CRV they had owned for all of 2 weeks.

Edited by Schulz2.0

26 minutes ago, 3adays said:

Had a quick .02 in Dripping Springs. Nothing great, but I’ll take it. 

Nothing 17 minutes SW of town.

30 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I watered my plants trying to do my part.

If you're not washing your vehicle, you're not trying hard enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

There cant be too many more depressing ways to go than to perish in a twister while holed up in  a Wallyworld. I might have to just press forward into the storm. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Nothing 17 minutes SW of town.

If you're not washing your vehicle, you're not trying hard enough.

Buddy is using it, or I would have.

Of course, I am leaving town for a few days and just finished planting a bunch of cuttings so cue the hail in the 666.

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Same thing here. And then my app said "Rain will continue for the next 30 minutes."  Looked outside, not even a cloud.  It's never going to rain again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was at my buddy's lake house up on Cedar Creek reservoir since Thursday for a golf weekend. 

We were pouring drinks and lighting cigars at 7:55 Sunday morning to get ready to watch the Monaco race when the wind started picking up. Looked at all of the weather apps and none of them showed or mentioned any type of storm for the day and wind forecast was 8-10 mph with 15 mph gusts.

By 8:03, when the F1 race started and they had the crash that halted it, the wind was probably blowing 30mph.

Within probably three more minutes it was blowing 60+ and we watched the neighbors dock get destroyed. Finally, a 50ish foot tall tree fell onto the porch of my buddy's place. If I tried to round the corner and walk the direction of the wind, it would stand me straight up. 

Then, probably after 10-12 minutes, it was over.

The Country club reported 10 destroyed docks, 4 derelict boats, and hundreds of trees down.

Now, I can't find any news about it or find out what the maximum wind gusts were.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BearMace said:

The weather failed to maintain the boats?

Something like that.

noun
noun: derelict; plural noun: derelicts
  1. a person without a home, job, or property.
    "derelicts who could fit all their possessions in a paper bag"

• a piece of property, especially a ship, abandoned by the owner and in poor condition.

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Worst storm I’ve been through in a while in the metroplex. That was gnarly. 75 mph winds. 

Not quite as bad as what Houston got two weeks ago, but I puckered up pretty good when the line first hit around 6am and the tornado sirens started sounding. Naturally it’s garbage day and bulk pick-up week, so the neighborhood looks like a bomb went off…plus lots of big trees just snapped like toothpicks and strewn everywhere, only 1 of 3 streets out of the subdivision are passable at this point.
There was a massive hook echo just a couple miles east of us in Garland, not sure if it ever fully spun up, but thanking our lucky stars we weren’t in the direct path.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Same thing here. And then my app said "Rain will continue for the next 30 minutes."  Looked outside, not even a cloud.  It's never going to rain again.

Yeah, these are annoying. This is the weather version of "hot horny MILFs in your area want to hook up."

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yeah, just ended here (Collin Co) a few minutes ago.  

Plano,TX here. Got woken up about 545am with a ton of hail and the strongest wind I can remember. Was about to go hide in the closest, it seemed like a tornado was outside. Crazy shit. So much damage across DFW. My parents in Forney had a tornado touch down out there but no damage to their house or carport. Carrollton had a lot of damage, too. Hope all the DFW Surly people are doing ok. So many storms lately here. Was some bad tornadoes up north of here Saturday night that claimed lives.

• Hook 'Em 3

In Seattle right now. House is just south of bush near preston.

Wondering if my 40 year old live oaks survived, and if they took out my roof. Need to know if my boarded dogs are ok. Boarder’s phone is down right now.

And Leon's getting larger!  

Yeah, the pressure is dropping.  Does feel a bit weird but I don't think it's gonna rain much.  Then again, the doctor told me to show him where on the barometer the precip touched me.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Plano,TX here. Got woken up about 545am with a ton of hail and the strongest wind I can remember. Was about to go hide in the closest, it seemed like a tornado was outside. Crazy shit. So much damage across DFW. My parents in Forney had a tornado touch down out there but no damage to their house or carport. Carrollton had a lot of damage, too. Hope all the DFW Surly people are doing ok. So many storms lately here. Was some bad tornadoes up north of here Saturday night that claimed lives.

wife woke me up around 5:45 am when the tornado sirens were going off.  then the skies opened up.  we dealt with the 2019 tornado.  my wife has PTSD from it, so she was freaking out today.  thankfully no hail, but wind destroyed a lot of trees in Lake Highlands.  no power and no sign of it coming back.  we came up to Little Elm to my sister's house to work. daycare is closed so daughter is in tow.  this sucks, but i'm sure it could have been worse. 

• Like 1

Gotdamnit! Pool guy left just before that system came through. Looks like an entire crepe myrtle in my pool, but not a drop of fucking rain. 

And my kids left the damn water slide on last night (runs from a garden hose) so now the water is above the skimmer level

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Gotdamnit! Pool guy left just before that system came through. Looks like an entire crepe myrtle in my pool, but not a drop of fucking rain. 

Yeah, they cleaned up all the leaves next door who decided to migrate into my yard with the wind. And nope, not a drop.