2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Glad your brother is okay, Wulaw.  That looks like it could have been much worse.  I don't know more cars anymore, but looks like a Camaro?  And the front end absorption cage definitely did its job, so props to whoever made that car.  

Rain starting up again and looks like it won't stop until late Wednesday night.  Y'all be safe out there.  Glad the lakes are getting the direct hit.  

I guess look on the bright side of this foggy morning, if this precip system had hit us just a few days ago, we'd all be proper fucked.

Yep. The engineering on cars and their safety features are incredible. 
just a reminder- driving in the rain is dangerous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My step-daughter borrowed my car yesterday because hers was in the shop.  She returned home and needed to go pick her vehicle up, so I jumped in the car with her and off we went.  In the rain.  Holy smokes, that was terrifying.  Absolutely no regard for water accumulating on the road, stop signs, random pedestrians.

Never again.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

My step-daughter borrowed my car yesterday because hers was in the shop.  She returned home and needed to go pick her vehicle up, so I jumped in the car with her and off we went.  In the rain.  Holy smokes, that was terrifying.  Absolutely no regard for water accumulating on the road, stop signs, random pedestrians.

Never again.

Sorry I flipped you off and threw that rotten cantaloupe at your vehicle, didn't realize you were not the driver.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Sorry I flipped you off and threw that rotten cantaloupe at your vehicle, didn't realize you were not the driver.

Speaking of cantaloupes, is the salmonella scare over yet? 
Seems that industry has been in a state of collapse for months.

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Speaking of cantaloupes, is the salmonella scare over yet? 
Seems that industry has been in a state of collapse for months.

Considering we get a lot of cantaloupe from Central America, many of those countries are in various states of collapse.  

Yeah, shit just got weird again.  Wish PhDhorn would explain it, but in the last 10 minutes...you see these massive light bursts that you know mean thunder right by you which is normal.  But it takes like 60 seconds to create the sound.  It's strange.  You can usually just tell intuitively, "okay if the light burst was that bright, that means sound should be incoming within a matter of seconds, but takes much, much longer (that's what she said).  This one is weirder than usual.  

Drive safe out there this morning, may be uglier than Monday with the saturated ground and creeks.  

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

you see these massive light bursts that you know mean thunder right by you which is normal.  But it takes like 60 seconds to create the sound.  It's strange.

Independence Day Explosion GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
they finally made it to earff. Someone call Will Smith and Bill…….Pullman?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, shit just got weird again.  Wish PhDhorn would explain it, but in the last 10 minutes...you see these massive light bursts that you know mean thunder right by you which is normal.  But it takes like 60 seconds to create the sound.  It's strange.  You can usually just tell intuitively, "okay if the light burst was that bright, that means sound should be incoming within a matter of seconds, but takes much, much longer (that's what she said).  This one is weirder than usual.  

Drive safe out there this morning, may be uglier than Monday with the saturated ground and creeks.  

I think sometimes you can be close enough to the strike that the sound wave generates outside of a perimeter that share with the strike. That could cause a delay in the sound. I also might be talking out of my ass.  

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I think sometimes you can be close enough to the strike that the sound wave generates outside of a perimeter that share with the strike. That could cause a delay in the sound. I also might be talking out of my ass.  

In my experience, this isn't true.  When I was a kid I was maybe 20 feet from a tree that took a strike out of the blue.  I can only describe the sensation as "pure energy".  It wasn't discernible as light distinct from sound, it was just incredibly powerful.  My mom happened to be looking out on the back yard and she said I hit the deck a fraction of a second before the strike.  I guess I got that fuzzy feeling people talk about but I sure don't remember it.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Creeping up on 3" in Hewitt.  Just a beautiful soaking rain.  My kingdom for this kind of rain 2 or 3 times during the summer.

Anxious to see it the tanks in Perry are finally full.

Conroe ISD postponing classes for 2 hours tomorrow and cancelled all after school activities today. Lake Conroe closed as well and releasing water. Woodlands mommies are in a panic. I’ll bet HEB is a madhouse right now. Assuming it’s open of course.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Damn nice rain event, and one more wave coming in according to radar. Dogs are going to be muddy little shits tomorrow, but I am fine with that to get this rain.

And coming in the right place. Just a huge widespread rain across the highland lakes watershed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wunderground predicted me 3" for the event, I took the over. Ended up with 3" the first day and 1.3" more for the rest of the week. I'll definitely take that. Hopefully it didn't wash away all of the rye seed I spread last week.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And coming in the right place. Just a huge widespread rain across the highland lakes watershed.

Unfortunately it really wasn't.  There were some decent 3+ inch totals right over Lake Travis, but not near enough fell out west, around Fredericksburg. And almost nothing fell in the Buchanan watershed.  Austin proper got a lot of rain which is great, everybody needs it.  But to really make any impact to the lakes, this whole event needed to be about 40 miles further to the WNW, and needed to be about twice as much.  I know, Debbie Downer. 

image.thumb.png.61c5fbcbd78aac55a6049854fdbe20f5.png

But Austin proper needed rain too.  Everybody in Texas does.

• Hook 'Em 2

If they hadn't fucked up the construction of the Arbuckle reservoir in Wharton County, this rain event would have completely filled it. 

That reservoir indirectly relieves the water burden upstream by providing water for rice farmers and ecological needs at the Gulf downstream.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

If they hadn't fucked up the construction of the Arbuckle reservoir in Wharton County, this rain event would have completely filled it. 

That reservoir indirectly relieves the water burden upstream by providing water for rice farmers and ecological needs at the Gulf downstream.

We seem to be great in letting tons of water just disappear... (other than that dick on the James River in Mason) we need some long term solutions.  

Oh... about that guy...

https://www.dailytrib.com/2023/10/23/tpwd-orders-removal-of-illegal-dam-on-llano-river-tributary/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Unfortunately it really wasn't.  There were some decent 3+ inch totals right over Lake Travis, but not near enough fell out west, around Fredericksburg. And almost nothing fell in the Buchanan watershed.  Austin proper got a lot of rain which is great, everybody needs it.  But to really make any impact to the lakes, this whole event needed to be about 40 miles further to the WNW, and needed to be about twice as much.  I know, Debbie Downer. 

image.thumb.png.61c5fbcbd78aac55a6049854fdbe20f5.png

But Austin proper needed rain too.  Everybody in Texas does.

The rain disparity in Central Texas will never cease to amaze me. 4" at one end of the lane, 1.5" at the other. You'd think we sat next to a mountain range or something. 

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

We seem to be great in letting tons of water just disappear... (other than that dick on the James River in Mason) we need some long term solutions.  

Oh... about that guy...

https://www.dailytrib.com/2023/10/23/tpwd-orders-removal-of-illegal-dam-on-llano-river-tributary/

Good.  What a fucking asshole.  I mean good god man.

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The rain disparity in Central Texas will never cease to amaze me. 4" at one end of the lane, 1.5" at the other. You'd think we sat next to a mountain range or something. 

Well there is a fault.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh... about that guy...

What an asshole. Hope that will be an expensive process for him
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bolverk said:

Gibraltar US has fabricated, installed, and performed on over 30 site segments which consisted of over 150 miles of pedestrian/vehicle barrier projects along the US–Mexico border in support of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Customs Border Patrol (CBP). The first four US Southern border fence projects under US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Multiple Award Task Order Contracts (MATOC) were Bill Neusch’ s design. This design, with a few modifications, is used by USACE for much of the current fence. Gibraltar has experience constructing all aspects of the southern US border fence including gates, grates, and wash-outs. Gibraltar’s border experience has been demonstrated to meet or beat project schedule requirements with an exceptional quality and safety record. Gibraltar's border solutions are proven and effective tools in slowing, redirecting and deterring illegal entries in areas where DHS/CBP personnel and technologies alone are insufficient. Due to the sheer magnitude in size of the border work, Gibraltar had over 500 employees and set up eight fabrication yards throughout California, Arizona & Texas.

Fucking grifter of taxpayer dollars. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2