2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

32 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Has anyone from Hays, Blanco, or maybe Llano County chimed in? Well, except for that one smooth-brained ditch digger from earlier today who, perhaps, wishes he hadn't?

Tornado hit, or near hit, ripped off part of roof on Christus Hospital in San Marcos. Massive flooding throughout multiple floors.  

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Radar has underestimated the southward reach of this squall line. Maybe .3” west of Buda. 

Anyone else gauge the likelihood of near term future rain by the emergence of mushrooms? 

Yep. Those mushrooms have a funny taste, and make you yak in about 4 minutes. 

CHIEF

26 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yep. Those mushrooms have a funny taste, and make you yak in about 4 minutes. 

CHIEF

Better to yak sooner than die later. 

A buddy swears he has never found a boletus he couldn’t stomach, but he is braver than I.

I have the opinion that when the shrooms bloom, en masse, the rainy season is done for the time being. 

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Hail broke out a bedroom window in La Cima, San Marcos. I think it went right over us. Sounded like an ice machine was dumping it's load on my house. Surprised I only lost one window. Several reporting downed fences.

You do windows @ROFL BOX?

Yes, I have people for that. 

I'm maybe 45 minutes from that end of S.M.  With that type of damage, it is probable you also have shingle roof issues. 

4 hours ago, 1978horn said:

A little smaller than baseball in dripping springs area

This LAST pic is from Henly (started the file upload incorrectly)

All other 📸 are @ my place, SE of Henly by ~12 minutes.

20240509_195203.jpg

20240509_194737.jpg

20240509_194718.jpg

20240509_194409.jpg

20240509_194404.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, lucious leftfoot said:

Tornado hit, or near hit, ripped off part of roof on Christus Hospital in San Marcos. Massive flooding throughout multiple floors.  

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Supposedly 106mph winds in the area.

IMG-8049.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you forcefield.

Even though the storm missed us, they cancelled all the games in my son's baseball league last night. With the storm that's predicted to come through on Sunday, I'm beginning to think the season won't end until mid-June.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

The totals are trending upwards for the Highlad Lakes. If we get another 5 or 6 inches of rain around San Saba, Lake Buchanan will be in great shape for the summer. 

IMG_1686.gif

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Fashion myself somewhat of a weather nerd. But something I never heard in PHD's summer camps was hail and DVDs used in the same sentence.  Da hell?

https://www.kxan.com/weather/severe-weather-brings-baseball-size-hail-in-central-texas/

Small world. I used to work with the guy who submitted that video. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

@Beau Vine watch yer ass

We are actually in Denton for a wedding, but I appreciate the heads-up.  

Neighbors on one side had a dead pecan tree fall (I had hinted several times that they should take it down) and took out part of our fence.  Neighbor on the other side had a tree branch go through her dining room window.  

We actually just spent $2500 3 days ago to take down a 100+ yo oak tree that recently died.

So everything turned out OK for us.  Glad we missed it.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Has anyone from Hays, Blanco, or maybe Llano County chimed in? Well, except for that one smooth-brained ditch digger from earlier today who, perhaps, wishes he hadn't?

Hays County Smooth-Brain checking in.

We had a couple of healthy trees split. The yard looks like shit with tree shrapnel everywhere.

Husband was smart enough to put the truck in a car wash bay. No damage.

I can’t believe we didn’t lose any windows or a skylight. We got lucky. I picked up 2-3 baseball sized hail pieces in our yard. That shit sounded like Armageddon when it hit. It looked like a tornado was next, but got lucky there too.

Probably won’t be lucky with the roof but we’ll see.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, tigol said:

Hays County Smooth-Brain checking in.

We had a couple of healthy trees split. The yard looks like shit with tree shrapnel everywhere.

Husband was smart enough to put the truck in a car wash bay. No damage.

I can’t believe we didn’t lose any windows or a skylight. We got lucky. I picked up 2-3 baseball sized hail pieces in our yard. That shit sounded like Armageddon when it hit. It looked like a tornado was next, but got lucky there too.

Probably won’t be lucky with the roof but we’ll see.

I always worry about these bad hail storms since our living area has a lot of big windows that look prime for the taking.  They're somewhat shielded by a live oak which I guess sort of helps but still.  We also have one of those sun tube things which I imagine can get damaged just like a skylight.  

Had family in Driftwood last night when the storm was moving that way - was very uncomfortable having them there but thankfully it swung just west of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Yesterday I swear KXAN's forecast said 90% chance of rain on Sunday. Now it's 50%.  The NWS forecast said periods of very heavy rain. Now it doesn't. The fuck is going on.

My kid has some stuff going on outside in the afternoon, so it’ll rain then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest from noaa.gov. may 9 2024.

La Niña may develop in June-August (49% chance) or July-September (69% chance; [Fig. 7]).

Hold on a little more el nino. Do not want the high pressure la nina domes this summer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

We got hit for another 2-3+ inches in most of the are here.  Some serious, torrential downpours that would last 15 minutes then off for 30 then downpour again.   Everything around here is soaking wet.  I tried to put some topsoil and overseed my back yard with Bermuda about 10 days ago.  Pretty sure lost of the seed is in my neighbors yard now.