2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

47 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Big fucking red blob hovering over the Lake Travis watershed. Lake will go up 1.5 inches. Maybe.

According to hydromet, that spot got 4” in no time at all. That’s pretty wild

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not a drop in San Marcos. Even watered my plants. Should have washed the cars.

Forcefield has shifted south the last year or so. Strong shields up south of Austin these days. It’s almost fascinating to watch because you know it’s coming- if it weren’t so damn frustrating.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

2 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Forcefield has shifted south the last year or so. Strong shields up south of Austin these days. It’s almost fascinating to watch because you know it’s coming- if it weren’t so damn frustrating.

Yep, it sucks. Then I get to watch Bastrop and points east get hammered. Should we sacrifice a Bobcat Virgin? Oh wait....

• Haha 1

Bullseye in the LBJ watershed of 2.5 inches and rain still coming down. That’s really great. I don’t know if May will be a wetter than normal month but if it is we could get a few feet into the lakes. Doubt we see it fill up but then Memorial Day floods are a thing around these parts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Saw this linked on Reddit. 

Now THAT is a wonderful sight. It's exactly what we need to see to fill up the lakes.

(Sorry about your campers.)

The line west of Austin seems to be shrinking and tracking more to the north. Guess I should be happy with what I got earlier tonight, but was hoping for an even bigger dump into the lakes.

49 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We’re going on 4 inches since midnight and it is absolutely dumping rain right now. 

5 1/2 inches in Perry 4/9

5.6 inches Sunday.

Rain that missed for last two years causing tanks to go dry, now can't miss.

Any rain is better than no rain, but these stream flows need to be up in the multiple thousands, to make a dent in the lakes.  Now, if we could get two solid weeks of this, we'd be talking.

image.png.74d27657fb075384d273dbf3fbe25127.png

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Any rain is better than no rain, but these stream flows need to be up in the multiple thousands, to make a dent in the lakes.  Now, if we could get two solid weeks of this, we'd be talking.

image.png.74d27657fb075384d273dbf3fbe25127.png

This rain event was the best in a long time over the LT watershed and yet it consolidated into the flood rain we needed as it moved east toward Tyler and Louisiana. Look at this. 

IMG_4671.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The notion of any month in this age being wetter than normal.  It's adorable.

My optimism is adorable, delusional and a force to be reckoned with. 

• Haha 1

Did any parts of Austin get significant rain overnight?  The nearest LCRA gauge shows 0.11 inches for us in the last 12 hours, most of it just before sunrise.  

Our neighbor has a big tree down.  I don't know if it was wind, lightning, or just normal age/disease.  I slept through everything.

Buddy of mine's house got struck by lightning.  Probably a total loss.  12k+ sq ft right on the Brazos.  My other buddy who has his HO insurance gonna have a big check to cut.  Ouch.  

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Buddy of mine's house got struck by lightning.  Probably a total loss.  12k+ sq ft right on the Brazos.  My other buddy who has his HO insurance gonna have a big check to cut.  Ouch.  

Trey, where was it? We had some bad storms in my neck of the woods, here in Granbury. 

CHIEF

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Waco area  

I was checking. We have a subdivision called Silverado between Granbury and Weatherford. It’s got some houses that size, and got rocked pretty hard yesterday evening. 

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I was checking. We have a subdivision called Silverado between Granbury and Weatherford. It’s got some houses that size, and got rocked pretty hard yesterday evening. 

CHIEF

This is a large Ranch House on over 100 acres right along the Brazos just outside of town.  Beautiful, beautiful home that they just got done remodeling about 18 months ago.  Absolutely sucks.  But they're all safe, which is the most important thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, deter said:

5 1/2 inches in Perry 4/9

5.6 inches Sunday.

Rain that missed for last two years causing tanks to go dry, now can't miss.

Small world...we have some land out that direction and the lake and ponds have been overflowing lately!

48 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I saw that this morning.  Glad they are all okay!

• Like 1

Happy for those of you that got rain and yeah, nice amount for the lakes. But it is so damn frustrating today. Watching light rain developing just to the east of I35 in Hays. I am talking 1 mile from my house and not getting any at all.

• Rage+1 1

We were at the McCallum Performing Arts Center for the Lamar Middle School band concert when the shit really hit the fan last night.  Getting a bunch of grandparents and kids with musical instruments back to vehicles in a torrential downpour was less than pleasant.  I felt really sorry for the old folks on blood thinners.  They were freezing, and almost nobody dodged getting soaked.  Umbrellas were damn near useless.  Happy for the rain, though.