CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

No RB transfers and next year will be dope.

whoever said this game was over coached by Sark was a good reference. I would have been perfectly fine with a 1st down run every single time for 6-7 yds and no play action ever.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

absolutely this.  was texting maxhorn in 1Q:

RUN

THE

FUCKING

BALL

off tackle we were gashing them

granted they started putting 7 in the box, then 6 on the line, but that was after we went away from the run

sark is an offensive scripting genius

but as the head corch you have to chuck the script when you find something that is 100%

we should have kept going up the middle until they stopped it instead of stopping it ourselves

it also would have kept us in reasonable 3rd down situations.  the long ball was worthless pretty much all game.

13 minutes ago, troph said:

I can’t think one one questionable call or no-call against WA.

The only one half way close to being questionable was the catch / no catch by Blue on the last drive to get the ball down to the 12.  Could have been considered a slight bobble of the ball as he went out of bounds, but I figured it should be one of those "ruling on the field" type deals which is the way it shook out.  Based on most of the other calls I was fully expecting the review guy to rule it incomplete.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, RAMBONE said:

I just chalk it up to an unflappable mentality. Confidence. I think it is obvious that the dude cares and is invested in Texas FB. He let it all hang out this year, came back from injury early, etc.

Cool. But doing that shit in the CFP is another thing. This isn't Rice or Tech, this is for a chance at a title. No competitive person with a chance to win a title is yucking it up on a sideline. It showed he didn't take it seriously to his teammates, fans, school. It's unprofessional as fuck. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The one thing that truly pissed me off was when the camera panned to Ewers before we even knew we had even a slight chance to win, he was over there talking and smiling and chewing sunflower seeds. I don't know about y'all, but I would like my QB to sit there and figure out what he's doing wrong, not chillaxing and cutting it up knowing (at the time) you were going to lose. I want a QB who's pissed that he's losing a CFP game that took a lot of work from everyone on the team, only for him to sit the r and smile. 

#culture 

• Like 1

If the situations were reversed and they called a Texas DB for PI on that last play, I would have had a  stroke.

Why? A penalty is a penalty regardless of when it happens. Only idiots think things shouldn’t be flagged based on situations. Maybe that is why the cunts picked up that flag earlier.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

I agree.  Blue is better than Baxter.  Plus he looked good on kickoffs. Baxter is just a freshman so hopefully another year pays off for him.  Blue just has an extra gear

We all knew he had it, we were just waiting to see it. Now that stubborn Steve has seen it, let's hope he continues giving him more snaps. 

Questionable officiating, but that's been the case for us all fucking year so it's to be expected.

End of the day, we crush Meatchicken or Bama.  This Husky squad was our toughest matchup.  We just ran into a (should be if not for the injury concerns) 1st QB off the board in the Draft with top tier receivers.  As bad as our secondary is, they were stride for stride on a lot of those passes and Penix just dropped it in with pinpoint accuracy.  You can't defend that shit.  

I'd be upset if we rolled over and got blown out.  As it was, kept it close and had a chance to win at the end.  The talent is just rolling in to Austin at this point so I imagine we'll be pretty well set for the future.  Sucks to lose, but I think we'll be making noise in the CFP for years to come.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

I agree.  Blue is better than Baxter.  Plus he looked good on kickoffs. Baxter is just a freshman so hopefully another year pays off for him.  Blue just has an extra gear

baxter is damn good 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The only one half way close to being questionable was the catch / no catch by Blue on the last drive to get the ball down to the 12.  Could have been considered a slight bobble of the ball as he went out of bounds, but I figured it should be one of those "ruling on the field" type deals which is the way it shook out.  Based on most of the other calls I was fully expecting the review guy to rule it incomplete.

If that’s the best they can come up with… I hear you but that was a catch all the way. It wasn’t a bobble it was a finger tip catch secured as he went out of bounds. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

baxter is damn good 

I agree.  But the poster posed the question if one had to transfer who would I prefer to stay.  I think Blue is our best back.  I hope they both stick around.  Don’t really imagine either leaving.  I’m stupid excited about the future.  We are loaded everywhere

Robinson returning kicks was baffling. I thought Ewers played fine, the batted balls were frustrating and you’d like to see the last throw a little more inside. But look, it’s a high pressure moment with little time to think. He’s trying to give his guy a chance on the ball.

It was a miracle we even had a chance so I won’t criticize the last sequence too harshly. I was hoping for some Sark playcalling magic but it wasn’t in the cards.  

Ewers improved a great deal this season. I do think it should be an open competition at QB, which I believe he’ll win. Older players matter and Texas needs Ewers to take another step. If we are going to take our lumps next season, it needs to be from playing young guys in the secondary. We need more speed.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

absolutely this.  was texting maxhorn in 1Q:

RUN

THE

FUCKING

BALL

off tackle we were gashing them

granted they started putting 7 in the box, then 6 on the line, but that was after we went away from the run

sark is an offensive scripting genius

but as the head corch you have to chuck the script when you find something that is 100%

we should have kept going up the middle until they stopped it instead of stopping it ourselves

To 2 different friends, text from the game from me..  typos and all. Screenshot_20240102_015318_Messages.thumb.jpg.bc71841f38fbdf1af832d785b6da5a4b.jpgScreenshot_20240102_015223_Messages.thumb.jpg.59ec77a30a7a6e2a3606d2d65a6ff593.jpg

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

baxter is damn good 

Were in a position that neither transfers, thankfully. Both got a healthy dose of carries once Brooks went down. Brooks is off to the NFL, and Keilan is out of eligibility, so bringing in Gibson and Clark gets us back on track to have 4 backs on the roster. If we land Harlem Berry and/or Jordan Davison then maybe one of Gibson/Clark transfers, but I doubt it. 

35 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Damn, I know this is Surly — but how is anyone mad/upset?

I went to school in the Charlie years... The Longhorns fought and came within 1 second and 12 yards of playing for the Title. 1 less fuck up/fumble/lucky bounce, and we may have won… They won 12 games and a Big 12 championship on their way out. They are all Longhorn Legends in my book (especially J Whitt), and have made me proud to call myself a Texas alum. Hook ‘em!

I went to school during the Herman years and watched the Strong years while in HS. This is the best season I’ve ever seen as a Texas Fan. I’m just disappointed because this is the closest we’ve ever been since I’ve been a fan

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I went to school during the Herman years and watched the Strong years while in HS. This is the best season I’ve ever seen as a Texas Fan. I’m just disappointed because this is the closest we’ve ever been since I’ve been a fan

Just be glad you aren't a volleyball fan. 

Before the back to back national titles in the last 2 years, Texas fans had to endure 3 runner-ups and 5 final 4 appearances over a 9 year timeframe without a national title. That shit was brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

baxter is damn good 

21 minutes ago, Beer Drinker said:

I agree.  But the poster posed the question if one had to transfer who would I prefer to stay.  I think Blue is our best back.  I hope they both stick around.  Don’t really imagine either leaving.  I’m stupid excited about the future.  We are loaded everywhere

Y'all are crazy. Baxter is gonna be a stud. I really, really like Blue. He is a great change-of-pace guy.

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Doesn’t really matter what you call when 2 blockers completely wiff.

That explains the 3rd down play, yes. But not the other three.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree.  Blue is fast, makes people miss, and can run routes downfield.  Baxter is fast in a straight line and has a frame to get big, but he doesn’t break a lot of tackles or cut all that well, and vision seems dicey at times.  Wasn’t much of a factor in the passing game except on screens, either.  I know the coaches must like him since they wanted him to be the starter initially, but our other backs were all more productive on the whole. Gibson in this year’s recruiting class looks to have a more well rounded skill set, too.  

To keep having a big role, I think Baxter needs to bulk way up and turn into like a 240 pound freight train, because I think he’s always going to be a north-south guy and right now he doesn’t run physically enough for that kind of player. 

Baxter had a nice ass catch tonight. He has great hands, which is why the coaches love him. He's a great pass catcher, and he's only a frosh, so why write him off already? People were writing Blue off saying he would transfer (and almost did). Blue wasn't passing Brooks and Baxter at the beginning of the season until Brooks went down, and Baxter (the bruiser with great hands) will get better once he adds muscle to his frame (225-230lbs), but he's still the first frosh RB to start since Ricky Williams, so the staff saw something in him, even though it was dumb as fuck to not start Brooks who had already shown out last year how lethal he was, but whatever; Blue is a soph amd we see how much better he got. As far as the incoming backs, I love Clark's game. It's hard to tell with Gibson playing at IMG because the linemen who are blocking for him are all going FBS, but he looks like he hits the hole and then has burst. We're in great hands with those 4. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Robinson returning kicks was baffling. I thought Ewers played fine, the batted balls were frustrating and you’d like to see the last throw a little more inside. But look, it’s a high pressure moment with little time to think. He’s trying to give his guy a chance on the ball.

It was a miracle we even had a chance so I won’t criticize the last sequence too harshly. I was hoping for some Sark playcalling magic but it wasn’t in the cards.  

Ewers improved a great deal this season. I do think it should be an open competition at QB, which I believe he’ll win. Older players matter and Texas needs Ewers to take another step. If we are going to take our lumps next season, it needs to be from playing young guys in the secondary. We need more speed.

Lol no. He had a 55% completion %. His season comp % was 71%. Ewers played decent in the second half, but the first half was a scene out of a nightmare. 

Ewers did not play well tonight.  Good grief some of the QE love in this thread.  Look the guy got better this year.  And?  He needs to work on a ton of stuff to take the next step.  But what's the incentive if you are promised the starting job and already making 7 figures to be a "college" football player? 

He's not it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 9

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The problem on those last 4 redzone plays is it looks like we were just trying to run quick routes to ensure we were able to run 4 plays. 

Just get 2 or 3 quality plays in instead of running low percentage plays in order to save time. 

Well, we still needed quick routes because one sack could end the game. But I'm still confused by the first down play, where Quinn fakes it to Blue, continues to stare at Blue, and throws it to him, without ever looking anywhere else on the field. Or at least that's how I remember it, with the cavaet being it's currently 3:30am here on the East Coast and I may be delirious. Why throw it right where the action was faked to? That can't be how that play was designed.

Edited by OU Sucks

56 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Why? A penalty is a penalty regardless of when it happens. Only idiots think things shouldn’t be flagged based on situations. Maybe that is why the cunts picked up that flag earlier.

because it wasn't a penalty

After all the shit that happened in the game, to be 12 yards away from a chance to play for a national championship says a lot about the resiliency of this team. Sucks to be so close and come up a little short, but if you told me in September they'd even be in this position I would have laughed in your face. They far exceeded my expectations. 

All in all, great ride. Would recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Deja vu, butterfly effect, or wtf ever.  I posted that I knew we were fkd after the opening kickoff screwup against ou by the looks of our players.  Turned the tv off and never watched the rest.  Felt the same after our procedure penalty before the first offensive play last night and doubt I will ever watch the rest.  Fan since Jan. 1, 1964 and 20 year plus season ticket holder, so not a newbie, just tired of the SOS.  If I placed bets after the start of games I could make a fortune, but at my age would not be able to do anything with it.  Cheers

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, vandergriff said:

Ewers did not play well tonight.  Good grief some of the QE love in this thread.  Look the guy got better this year.  And?  He needs to work on a ton of stuff to take the next step.  But what's the incentive if you are promised the starting job and already making 7 figures to be a "college" football player? 

He's not it.  

Nobody said he doesn’t have to work on anything. The point is he improved from year one to year two and thinking he can’t continue is fucking asinine. No QB in America would’ve looked good next to Penix tonight and y’all’s recency bias is showing. If you don’t think this teams outlook is significantly elevated next year with his return you’re an idiot. 

10 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

Deja vu, butterfly effect, or wtf ever.  I posted that I knew we were fkd after the opening kickoff screwup against ou by the looks of our players.  Turned the tv off and never watched the rest.  Felt the same after our procedure penalty before the first offensive play last night and doubt I will ever watch the rest.  Fan since Jan. 1, 1964 and 20 year plus season ticket holder, so not a newbie, just tired of the SOS.  If I placed bets after the start of games I could make a fortune, but at my age would not be able to do anything with it.  Cheers

Man what a miserable way to be a college football fan. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, softlynow said:

I’m only really mad at the defensive game plan. Penix was going to get 300+ no matter what. We needed to play aggressive for 4 quarters and not expect a 4 man rush to get anywhere near the QB against an OL that gave up 11 sacks all year. Just an atrocious game plan that, when we ditched it because we had to be aggressive, unsurprisingly good things started happening.

i don’t know how PK could have coached this team through the UH, KSU and TCU games and still run that plan out there.

When we were passive this year we failed. We were mostly passive for 3 quarters tonight. 

yep, was saying this ^ all night. and here we are. they are penix. must sell out to hit him.

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

Why do all you old fuckers always try to make it look like you have the ability to predict the future?

• Hook 'Em 3

Being held to FG on that penultimate drive for Texas when they had ball inside the RZ was final nail in coffin. 

Give credit for battling back but that 3Q, two fumbles and poor OL discipline and secondary play was too much to overcome. 

Penix is good QB and Washington a good team, Texas was undisciplined and it hurt them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The problem on those last 4 redzone plays is it looks like we were just trying to run quick routes to ensure we were able to run 4 plays. 

Just get 2 or 3 quality plays in instead of running low percentage plays in order to save time. 

The flat screen on 1st down at the 12 with no timeouts left is one of the worst play calls I’ve ever seen

An absolute waste of time at at point where you can’t waste time. What the hell was Sark thinking?!?!?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Debauer really nearly fucked the end of that game up. Wash RB getting hurt also saved Texas like 40 seconds at the end. I was like damn if that was one of our guys I’d hope they’d be smart enough to ask to get carried off right away.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac unpinned this topic