Big10 Sugar Bowl Refs

Zeus

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

The illegal block call against Watts was a first for me, and I’ve been watching this sport for more than 30 years. It may not have been hugely consequential but the fact that it happened at all has to make you wonder.

Fairly new rule (only 1 or 2 years?). Not surprised you haven’t seen it called (not a shot at you). Seemed more like he got crumpled than went for the guy’s legs though.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

The illegal block call against Watts was a first for me, and I’ve been watching this sport for more than 30 years. It may not have been hugely consequential but the fact that it happened at all has to make you wonder.

Yeah they tried to say it’s a new thing

Taking out the legs of an OL

But in this situation, he didn’t take out the linemen’s legs he just bent down a little and hit him in the stomach instead of getting pancaked. 

Never would be called in a million times that exact contact and play happens. Totally made up out of thin air. 

It’s funny the back judge is out looking for illegal blocks on Texas when Washington is on offense. Not looking for holding lol 

• Rage+1 1

Replay clearly showed he got hit square in the back. No question that should have been unsportsmanlike. Had to explain to my kid, it doesn't matter just like all sports refs are never held accountable (i.e. termination) it's part of the human element. But picking up that flag was completely inexcusable

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Replay clearly showed he got hit square in the back. No question that should have been unsportsmanlike. Had to explain to my kid, it doesn't matter just like all sports refs are never held accountable (i.e. termination) it's part of the human element. But picking up that flag was completely inexcusable

I’ve seen that before, worse. In the ‘99 TAMU (bonfire) game, Simms scrambled down the left sideline and ran out of bounds. Brian Gamble ran up and laid him out, head on, all out of bounds. The ref threw the flag for the PF, Slocum argued (reminded him that the Ags needed to win, because of the dead kids) and the official picked the flag up. 

• Like 2

What’s bizarre is that the flag was for just a run of the mill block in the back. I’m cynical, so my theory is that that official told the others what he flagged, at which point they said, “nope. Couldn’t have been a block because the play was already over”. White hat then says “I guess that settles that then!”

* Obligatory disclaimer: The refs did not cost us the game, but that non-call was some fuckery (of the incompetent variety, not some conspiracy/fix).
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Ok so I can’t post my video here but how was it not illegal motion?

5b0d7433f772976e72cab32df744f30c.jpg
0832fedb91c7348f007ea0408abd39d9.jpg

6d1864abbb302b83cfb9e82f55c76877.jpg

3 snapshots as they are down, they stand and start pointing and the TE goes in motion….

Wasn't he the only one in motion at the time?

Wasn't he the only one in motion at the time?

So they all stand and start pointing. At which point he then turns and goes in motion while the linemen are still pointing.

Like I said I get the gimmick. But no one ever stood and came set. They stood and started pointing at assignments, as he then goes in motion.

As the refs have stated before, no one came set.
A buddy sent me this screenshot. Of course no call 
IMG_3999.thumb.jpeg.fd646739ec41d300b9bc385ae2fbd1a7.jpeg

I posted that on my feed as well, it was clear as day
  • Like 1

The Watts penalty for going too low on the lineman was horrendous. There’s a reason it’s rarely called. It has to be super egregious and Watts simply took him on in his upper stomach area. The illegal motion with Sanders and Campbell was also dumb. They held Sorrell once badly and Sweat at least twice badly. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Levi said:

The Watts penalty for going too low on the lineman was horrendous. There’s a reason it’s rarely called. It has to be super egregious and Watts simply took him on in his upper stomach area. The illegal motion with Sanders and Campbell was also dumb. They held Sorrell once badly and Sweat at least twice badly. 

the watts flag, he hit him in the waist / stomach area. This was a horrible call 

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s bizarre is that the flag was for just a run of the mill block in the back. I’m cynical, so my theory is that that official told the others what he flagged, at which point they said, “nope. Couldn’t have been a block because the play was already over”. White hat then says “I guess that settles that then!”

* Obligatory disclaimer: The refs did not cost us the game, but that non-call was some fuckery (of the incompetent variety, not some conspiracy/fix).

If that was the only example of mistakes, it would have been fine. But they were happy to call holding on Texas and ignore it all night on them. Ignore other PFs, delay of game, false starts/neutral zone, and dpi. They were on the spot if a Texas lineman twitched or farted, but they suddenly couldn’t see shit when it was their line.

Another example of a team playing us that gets well below their average calls, yet we can easily see penalties committed by them all game, some are the same sloppy procedural ones we got dinged for.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i need an explanation why this flag was picked up

Texas radio guys were trying to say something like it’s allowed inside 5 yards? I dont know all the rules but that seems suspect. And I thought it was after the play so PF.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Cobra Starship Literally My Favorite Band In 2008 GIF by mtv

You’re about to lose a lot of good will. WA was the better team, Penix was unreal. Refs didn’t cost the game, some of Texas reasons for losing were self inflicted but WA won the damn game and deserves to move on no question. So knock it off. 

• Hook 'Em 7

I very seldom ever go into the officials "rigged" the game mode.  In this instance, I believe there is enough questions that should be answered.  There are plenty of comments here a person could multi-quote to make a point.  I'll just leave these 2 questions.  How does their O-line not get a single call against the nation's best interior lineman?  Next, perhaps the officials were "encouraged" to help the PAC 12 along in their final season?  From here, it sure smells fishy.  

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I very seldom ever go into the officials "rigged" the game mode.  In this instance, I believe there is enough questions that should be answered.  There are plenty of comments here a person could multi-quote to make a point.  I'll just leave these 2 questions.  How does their O-line not get a single call against the nation's best interior lineman?  Next, perhaps the officials were "encouraged" to help the PAC 12 along in their final season?  From here, it sure smells fishy.  

Maybe, However I see it another way. Ask yourself these three questions:

What conference do the officials work in?

What conference will UW be in next year?

What conference will the eventual NC winner be in next year?

If you get the same answer for all three questions, there might possibly be a reason.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

Let me preface this by saying the refs did not cost us the game. I firmly believe the football gods gave us a chance to win this thing despite all of the BS and how badly we played and we squandered it. 

A few ref observations: 

1. Very one sided officiating all night

2. Texas was constantly marked a yard short or Washington was given a yard more than they were supposed to get. Some of these plays had to be reviewed to undo the shitty spotting. 

3. The "block below the waist" was a fucking joke

4. The most egregious call of the game was the late hit personal foul hit in the back that they threw the flag for when Washington had the ball up 6 on their own 22 yard line (this wouldve made it 2nd and 22 from their own 11 yard line) but then inexplicably picked it up

5. I think the Blue fumble was not a clear recovery before the refs had blown the whistles 80 times and caused the players to stop scrumming for the balls as hard as they were. Blue fumbles it and the refs came running in blowing their whistles and the ball was still free and Xavier almost came up with it but they had already blown the play dead and nobody had it. To me, the recovery was not clear and immediate. This take will probably be controversial, but thats how I saw it. 

Anyways, we still should've won the game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

We get called for lots of penalties, including pre-snap penalties, because this team loves to shit itself in the dick.  That's a coaching issue I guess.  What's maddening is that every team we play seems to have their cleanest game of the season when we play them and refs rarely call things even handedly.  It's horseshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Cobra Starship Literally My Favorite Band In 2008 GIF by mtv

6 hours ago, troph said:

You’re about to lose a lot of good will. WA was the better team, Penix was unreal. Refs didn’t cost the game, some of Texas reasons for losing were self inflicted but WA won the damn game and deserves to move on no question. So knock it off. 

Maybe he's already upset about the terrible officiating he'll be witnessing in the foreseeable future.