Bill Ackman

Neonmoon

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

In this edition of a hilarious FAFO story, corporate raider and recent loon Bill Ackman 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/09/business/to-save-free-speech-bill-ackman-lashes-out-at-journalists-and-higher-ed/index.html

The Fucking Around

1. Bill Ackman fights to get Harvard's first Black president, Claudine Gay, ousted due to accusations of antisemitism and plagiarism

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/03/bill-ackman-billionaire-attacks-claudine-gay-harvard-twitter-x

Seen in this bizarre novel he posted on Twitter against DEI. 

2. Claudine Gay resigns

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/business/claudine-gay-harvard-president-resigns/index.html

The Finding Out Part

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/04/business/bill-ackman-wife-plagiarism/index.html

image.png.20c0b4922244d37e7c6be5556aa72159.png

Bill Ackman precedes to melt down

image.thumb.png.6a23e85243e7142382604f0e6040210b.png

image.png.11fbea8ae6c0e0b67b6a4356d399b8bf.png

image.thumb.png.126e116f1c6c403ce18513c948a88d91.png

image.thumb.png.fefed2715e9530441517da7e0a4bcf3c.png

image.thumb.png.09da04b609822df6841ca64b64b823ed.png

Apparently when rich white people don't get their way, they are very upset and want to end wokeness

image.thumb.png.bda6dc1543e3c812ded6832eef663bfc.png

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Also, Why is this in the cloak room?

I'm guessing because Ackman took aim at DEI and racism (vis-a-vis Antisemitism) in a politically charged, 4000+ word missive which kicked off this powder keg, which seems to have blown up in his face as well. Nobody is safe, I think I'm hearing even Brad Pitt catching strays.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, keep in mind that Mike Tyson has on numerous occasions told the story of how he came home one day and caught Robin Givens in bed with Brad Pitt while she was still married to Mike. 

Wait, I’m confused. How is Brad Pitt still even alive?

• Drool 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

if I was a billionaire, you'd have a very hard time finding me much less hearing my thoughts on the president of Harvard

in conclusion, fuck that douche and his cunt wife 

If you need me, I'll be on my yacht. If you can't find me there, check my other yacht. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Ackman has apparently told the press that his wife never dated Brad Pitt, as he only attended her class while researching a part/project involving architecture and she was already an item with Ackman at the time.

This, of course, leads me to believe that she most likely was banging Brad Pitt.  

Also, keep in mind that Mike Tyson has on numerous occasions told the story of how he came home one day and caught Robin Givens in bed with Brad Pitt while she was still married to Mike.  So, basically Brad Pitt's dick has a tolerance for risks that would even make James Bond step back and say, "Wait, this isn't a good idea. I'm just going to go home and take a cold shower."  Given that history, I don't think he would be intimidated by the thought of Bill Ackman coming after him for messing around with his girl.

Well, in all fairness, Brad Pitt was on her laminated list.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Not to derail the thread about how Ackman sucks to the topic of plagiarism, but it is an interesting topic. Especially with future implications and generative AI.

In this case, it's also interesting because unless you have done original research and authored scholarship (and I know we have more than a few academics that post here), most people have a very elementary understanding of plagiarism. I'm seeing it on twitter where people think all accusations of plagiarism are equal, with the most advanced writing they've ever done is their 10th grade research paper.

And I'm reminded of when Gladwell had his own plagiarism scandal (as hackneyed as he may be, the point remains): https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/11/22/something-borrowed-plagiarism

image.thumb.png.b96001ae50dd7e787dd2f28e2a14d72d.png

It’s not that complicated here.

image.jpeg.b8043cfce08c6586ece6543006a02dce.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It’s not that complicated here.

image.jpeg.b8043cfce08c6586ece6543006a02dce.jpeg

Yea, probably same as it ever was, when it comes to benefit of the doubt and assuming positive intent. However, ngl, the funniest thing about that meme is they couldn’t even bother to spell plagiarism correctly.

18 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Yea, probably same as it ever was, when it comes to benefit of the doubt and assuming positive intent. However, ngl, the funniest thing about that meme is they couldn’t even bother to spell plagiarism correctly.

I created it in 30 second while taking a shit. I’m okay with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I learned everything I need to know about plagiarism from Cemetry Gates.

If you must write prose and poems the words you use should be your own
Don't plagiarise, don't take "on loan"
'Cause there's always someone, somewhere with a big nose, who knows
And who trips you up and laughs when you fall
Who'll trip you up and laugh when you fall
You say: "'Ere long done do does did"
Words which could only be your own
And then produce the text from whence was ripped
Some dizzy whore, 1804*

* Source is genius.com

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GenXer said:

Some dizzy whore, 1804*

* Source is genius.com

image.png.261337af7ef3dbc4a34d18c1b2cc2394.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

Some dizzy whore, 1804*

* Source is genius.com

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

image.png.261337af7ef3dbc4a34d18c1b2cc2394.png

Yeah, was this before or after one of the best metal guitar solos of all time?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I created it in 30 second while taking a shit. I’m okay with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to snipe at you. I thought we were making fun of some unnamed meme creator on the interwebs. I wouldn't have said that had I known you created it!

On 1/9/2024 at 11:06 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

His wife has also passed herself off as an architect and is not.  She is an architecture professor but I can't find her name in the NCARB database, which means she doesn't have a license and is not an architect.

Lulz.

You and yer book-learnin.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

in undergrad there was a TA who constantly wrote on my papers that i needed to cite my sources.  i didn't read the book, how was i supposed to cite it?

When forced to take literature classes, I'd take a stab at reading the books, but damn if they wouldn't talk about the ending right away and spoil it. So I said fuck it, and before class I'd get a fellow student to throw me a number. "248," say. So I'd dig into page 248, and in class I'd bring it up and obsess about symbolism, verb choices, placement of nouns and hey what if we read it all backwards, whatever bizarre shit I could think of. Was fun. Well, not fun, but less boring that dissecting books.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

49 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

When forced to take literature classes, I'd take a stab at reading the books, but damn if they wouldn't talk about the ending right away and spoil it. So I said fuck it, and before class I'd get a fellow student to throw me a number. "248," say. So I'd dig into page 248, and in class I'd bring it up and obsess about symbolism, verb choices, placement of nouns and hey what if we read it all backwards, whatever bizarre shit I could think of. Was fun. Well, not fun, but less boring that dissecting books.

You ever rock a head bandage whilst working up a number 248 on ‘em?

image.jpeg.ebc7c1487d37e299364e0d3ab86ca470.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, GenXer said:

You ever rock a head bandage whilst working up a number 248 on ‘em?

image.jpeg.ebc7c1487d37e299364e0d3ab86ca470.jpeg

No, but when I didn't want to write a final paper, I thought about dressing up in my Nat'l Guard camo and showing the professor my fake orders to mobilize.

Just went ahead and slapped out the damn paper anyway.

5,600 words to say "Even though I'm a billionaire I failed to get them to suppress an accurate story and nobody has ever been more wronged in the history of the world!" 

beautiful happy endings GIF

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

5,600 words to say "Even though I'm a billionaire I failed to get them to suppress an accurate story and nobody has ever been more wronged in the history of the world!" 

beautiful happy endings GIF

Is there a group of whiny titty baby snowflakes more profound than the current "right" in the history of the world?  These fuckers make the Obamacare pajama boy look like a monument to toughness and stoicism.

obama-pajama-boy-white-house-r-2.jpg?res

I guarantee you that fictional character isn't 1/10th of the whiny bitch that these fucking billionaire pussies are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Is there a group of whiny titty baby snowflakes more profound than the current "right" in the history of the world?  These fuckers make the Obamacare pajama boy look like a monument to toughness and stoicism.

obama-pajama-boy-white-house-r-2.jpg?res

No, there is not a group of larger snowflakes in our history than the current right-wingers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

No, there is not a group of larger snowflakes in our history than the current right-wingers.

I read a story in the NYT during the 2008 financial meltdown.  The writer had a diverse career, including time in Iraq as well as financial writing about Wall Street.  They (can't remember if it was a man or woman) said that the most entitled people they ever came across were Wall Street types and Baathists functionaries from the ousted ruling party under Sadam.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:25 PM, babysdaddy said:

Ackman is such a whiny bitch.

And I didn’t know we had such a special poster here. The Reid outs lone viewer. Impressive

Also, Why is this in the cloak room?

Black women saved this republic in 2020.  If you want to reword that to "played an important role" or something like that, I'm OK with it.  If the very thought of it bothers you, that's a you problem.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 6:15 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

What was on cable on January 14th?  Gladiator (I know, as I saw it flipping through the channels and watched bits of it).  What does Maximus tell his troops during the first battle?  "Strength and Honor."

Neri Oxman is literally tweeting fucking movie quotes, like it was her own personal ethos, and her husband is responding "I love you" to that.

What kind of loser posts movie quotes?  I mean, OTHER than "I was inverted," "we have bush!," and such?  That's the domain of Surly, lady!

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What was on cable on January 14th?  Gladiator (I know, as I saw it flipping through the channels and watched bits of it).  What does Maximus tell his troops during the first battle?  "Strength and Honor."

Neri Oxman is literally tweeting fucking movie quotes, like it was her own personal ethos, and her husband is responding "I love you" to that.

What kind of loser posts movie quotes?  I mean, OTHER than "I was inverted," "we have bush!," and such?  That's the domain of Surly, lady!

He had previously made a post with an "I'm about to unleash hell" gladiator reference, so her tweet was a response to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've done some original research that spanned several years and after three or four software changes and updates and new computers I'm not very confident all of my citations have survived.  

If I were to get to the point of publishing as a book I'd probably have to cut and paste every paragraph into Google to verify I had missed anything

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/16/2024 at 7:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

Would be cooler if they plagiarized H.O.T.S.

That quite the call back there.

As for plagiarism claims, my understanding is that word is being used too broadly here for everyone in these stories. Plagiarism is using someone else's work as your own. Poor citation is not plagiarism unless you're your main points are coming from the uncited source. If you're listing facts from Wikipedia without citation, I somehow doubt those facts are the point of a dissertation.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

NY Mag with a profile out on Ackman. It's too long to quote in full, but a few choice clips. 

Ackman being just stupid as fuck:

Ackman believes that our lives are often fated from birth. “I have a view that people become their names,” he told me. “Like, I’ve met people named Hamburger that own McDonald’s franchises.” We’d been talking for nearly an hour and a half when Ackman asked me what my name was, hoping to offer a diagnosis. After he seemed momentarily stumped by my surname, I offered him my first name, which he misheard as Reed. “Read … write,” he said, before turning back to himself. “So, my name is Ackman — it’s like Activist Man.”

His wife literally asked him to stop posting multiple times (of course he refused out of his immense love for her):

Oxman, for her part, wasn’t sure what to make of her husband’s chivalrous tweeting, which had drawn even more attention to the allegations. (Through Ackman’s spokesperson, she declined to comment for this story.) Ackman wrote on X that the pressure from the Business Insider stories “could have literally killed her” and that he had seen others commit suicide in similar circumstances. “She was in a pretty dark place,” Ackman told me, adding that he tried to nudge her toward finding a silver lining: “I’m like, ‘Look, you didn’t do anything wrong; we’ll get this fixed,’ and ‘Actually, the more negative press, the -better. Once we turn this around, it’ll be good for your company.’” He wasn’t sure the pitch had landed — “There were times when she said, ‘Please don’t tweet anymore’” — but he defended himself by pointing to memes online suggesting he had become a hero to wives everywhere. “There’s a meme going around that apparently I’m causing a lot of marriages to have trouble,” Ackman said. “Like this one where a husband emails his wife, ‘Honey, I did the dishes.’ And she’s like, ‘Big fucking deal. Did you see what Ackman’s doing for his wife?’”

His hand-picked Harvard board candidates losing (he claims election interference):

For much of January, he had focused his energy on a smaller election, backing four candidates running for Harvard’s Board of Overseers in the hope of pressing the university on free speech, reforming DEI, and addressing financial mismanagement of the endowment. On the fourth Tuesday in January, he joined a Zoom in support of the candidates that was being hosted by the Harvard Business School Club of Pittsburgh. At one point, Ackman’s 4-year-old daughter walked on-camera, where he was sitting in front of an imposing black Louise Nevelson sculpture that hung on the wall behind him. “Our goal is to make Harvard a school she wants to go to in 14 years,” Ackman said.

But despite all the supposed fervor for change at the university, Ackman’s candidates fell short of the 3,000 signatures needed to get on the ballot. (The candidates blamed complications with Harvard’s online-voting system, which Ackman described as “election interference.”) He told me he remains undeterred: He is close to signing a contract with an AI company to conduct his plagiarism review and still plans to file a lawsuit against Business Insider. A few days before we met, he had invited Dave Portnoy, the founder of Barstool Sports, who unsuccessfully sued Business Insider for defamation last year, to visit him at Pershing Square. “I have a historical record of everything now,” Ackman said, pulling his phone out of his pocket to show me an old text. “It’s good for discovery.” He said he plans to pursue his various campaigns “to the end of the earth.”

The last time Ackman publicly vowed to do that, against Herbalife, he lost his investors $1 billion.

And him just being an asshole:

It has been disorienting to see concerns about Hamas’ attack and the war in Gaza, and its unceasing death toll, subsumed in the U.S. by a war for the soul of the Ivy League and questions about the definition of plagiarism. But Ackman believes that his campaign is critical for the future of America and that the masses are with him. He said strangers have continually come up to praise him for his work: in the Dominican Republic; at an Orthodox wedding in New Rochelle; at hotels, where people leave thank-you notes with the concierge. “I can’t walk around New York City, or anywhere, without people coming up to me,” he said. “I was in a restaurant two weekends ago — the whole restaurant gave me a standing ovation.”

I asked where the restaurant was. Ackman smiled. “This incredibly diverse community called the Hamptons,” he said.

I hope he does run for President. He'll be about as widely loved as Ron DeSantis. 

The public war between Ackman and Icahn over Herbalife was great. In the end, Icahn kicked Ackman’s ass, making  a billion dollars on his investment with Ackman losing a similar amount. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Interesting read on Ackman and his strategy change, especially for those who were joining the kneejerk reaction to outrage and calling him Ackerman. I love the title of the headline, "Bill Ackman Rockets Up Best-Paid Hedge Fund List by Doing Very Little":

Perhaps no other hedge fund manager has perfected the art of having their money work for them while they sleep — or tweet — like Bill Ackman.

The Pershing Square Capital Management founder made $610 million last year, after barely touching his portfolio of just 10 stocks. The total landed Ackman at No. 7 on Bloomberg’s annual list of the best-paid hedge fund founders, his highest-ever position. He failed to crack the top 15 in 2022.

The haul validates Ackman’s shift two years ago from a swashbuckling shareholder activist to taking “a quieter approach” and bringing in a chief investment officer to help run his fund. In a year when US stocks soared, his eight-person investment team’s stolid approach of holding shares in big companies racked up a 26.7% gain. …

That exceeds the returns for hedge funds including Citadel’s main Wellington strategy (15.3%) and Millennium Management (almost 10%), though their founders earned well in excess of Ackman. Millennium’s Izzy Englander nabbed the top spot in Bloomberg’s pay ranking with $2.8 billion, while Citadel’s Ken Griffin placed second at $2.6 billion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-20/richest-hedge-fund-managers-led-by-izzy-englander-ken-griffin