Greg Orders Texas National Guard To Seize Park in Eagle Pass, Bars Border Patrol/CBP

atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

...he also ignored this question posed repeatedly: "once again if the Federal Government isn't protecting the border, who is making the arrests?"

I noticed this, and it got lost in the shuffle a page back I think but the DPS has been arresting, detaining, and charging migrants with criminal trespass. I do not know if that began with the takeover of Shelby Park or further details, however. Prior to the governor's maneuver, there were the various usual actions taken by BP. People may have forgotten that the US has reverted to Title 8 for immigration processing (see below) now that the pandemic is over. The Coast Guard essentially does the same with migrants that arrive in Florida via watercraft (IIRC) if the watercraft cannot be turned away safely.  Just because a migrant is received by the BP at river's edge does not mean that the migrant will remain in the US.

Title 8:

Individuals who unlawfully cross the U.S. Southwest border:

• will generally be processed under Title 8 expedited removal authorities in a matter of days
  • will be barred from reentry to the United States for at least five years if ordered removed; and
  • would be presumed ineligible for asylum under the proposed Circumvention of Lawful Pathways regulation, absent an applicable exception.

32 minutes ago, mchookem said:

...he also ignored this question posed repeatedly: "once again if the Federal Government isn't protecting the border, who is making the arrests?"

And still hasn't been able to provide any evidence that DHS lied. 

My favorite trend of modern intardnet political debate:  That's bullshit misinformation you found on the internet.  You wanna know how I know?  Because of this golden information I found on the internet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

My favorite trend of modern intardnet political debate:  That's bullshit misinformation you found on the internet.  You wanna know how I know?  Because of this golden information I found on the internet.

image.png.23304f926617d6b1f9e927a7617808e4.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BeardIP said:

We all know that we need immigrants (or, if not immigrants, than a really high native birth rate that we don't have now) in order to maintain and grow the GDP which is what our economy is predicated upon.

What I think this, and the DACA thread, and other attempts at discussing immigration from a sociological, cultural anthropological and political point of view, is that the root cause for Texans is that it's unfair that Texas has to bear the brunt of the immigration.

What I'm reading and hearing is that Texas doesn't want the influx of brown immigrants, illegally for sure and probably not too many of the legal ones either, and that just because we are geographically abutting the brown countries the US response, to these people, seem to be "Too bad, just deal with it and you are a racist if you don't like it."

So then you get dumb ideas like, "hey let's charter a bus and send the immigrants to NYC and DC and see how they like it!", and, what do you know? They don't like it either, which seems to confirm and validate their feelings that it's not fair and that the bigger cities watching this and saying just grin and bear it are hypocrites.

This isn't completely irrational.

But Texas has always borne the brunt and benefit of Latin immigration, that is nothing new.

Aaaand, this right now has little or nothing to do with immigration or labor policy or any of the big issues, it's lightly varnished racism purely to appeal to the Trumpers. Like many of these trumpy issues, it has the barest connection to something substantial (immigration policy), but that's not what it's really about.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

This isn't completely irrational.

But Texas has always borne the brunt and benefit of Latin immigration, that is nothing new.

Aaaand, this right now has little or nothing to do with immigration or labor policy or any of the big issues, it's lightly varnished racism purely to appeal to the Trumpers. Like many of these trumpy issues, it has the barest connection to something substantial (immigration policy), but that's not what it's really about.

And, in some of the greatest irony of it all, there are brown people in Texas darker than even Briskettexan purports to be, who are part of the racist Trump brigade these days.

5 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Thanks but I will bow and and leave them to their little sandbox. There is no such thing as a differing opinion, not allowed here obviously. I would love to say more but these people need to put their pitchforks down, take a deep breath and leave their emotions out of it for once.

I really would like to read your response to my post that addressed your question about the Dems failure to pass immigration reform.

6 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

And, in some of the greatest irony of it all, there are brown people in Texas darker than even Briskettexan purports to be, who are part of the racist Trump brigade these days.

Charter members of the "Leopards eating people's faces" party, and dumbasses who never read a book about "Operation Wetback."  If Trump wins in November, there is a 10,000% chance that brown US citizens residing in Texas end up being deported.  Just like happened back in Operation Wetback.  Some of them will be Trump voters, who will be dragged kicking and screaming across the river as they holler "BUT I'M ON YOUR SIDE! I'M ONE OF THE GOOD ONES!".....and it won't make a shit.

Dumbest fucking people.  A hispanic voting Republican today - after the party has told you EXACTLY who they are, and EXACTLY what they want to do to you - is like a black person voting for David Duke.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I noticed this, and it got lost in the shuffle a page back I think but the DPS has been arresting, detaining, and charging migrants with criminal trespass. I do not know if that began with the takeover of Shelby Park or further details, however. Prior to the governor's maneuver, there were the various usual actions taken by BP. People may have forgotten that the US has reverted to Title 8 for immigration processing (see below) now that the pandemic is over. The Coast Guard essentially does the same with migrants that arrive in Florida via watercraft (IIRC) if the watercraft cannot be turned away safely.  Just because a migrant is received by the BP at river's edge does not mean that the migrant will remain in the US.

Title 8:

Individuals who unlawfully cross the U.S. Southwest border:

• will generally be processed under Title 8 expedited removal authorities in a matter of days
  • will be barred from reentry to the United States for at least five years if ordered removed; and
  • would be presumed ineligible for asylum under the proposed Circumvention of Lawful Pathways regulation, absent an applicable exception.

The Right loves talking about immigrants following the laws towards naturalization, while totally disregarding immigrant border laws, tracks about as well as their christian narrative while allows for immigrants to drown.  It's almost like they're idiot hypocrites.     

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If Trump wins in November, there is a 10,000% chance that brown US citizens residing in Texas end up being deported.

Starts at noon on January 20, 2025

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Charter members of the "Leopards eating people's faces" party, and dumbasses who never read a book about "Operation Wetback."  If Trump wins in November, there is a 10,000% chance that brown US citizens residing in Texas end up being deported.  Just like happened back in Operation Wetback.  Some of them will be Trump voters, who will be dragged kicking and screaming across the river as they holler "BUT I'M ON YOUR SIDE! I'M ONE OF THE GOOD ONES!".....and it won't make a shit.

Dumbest fucking people.  A hispanic voting Republican today - after the party has told you EXACTLY who they are, and EXACTLY what they want to do to you - is like a black person voting for David Duke.

They believe they're united under their disdain for government, while failing to understand that not matter what, they're not Anglos, and that's a major crime.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Why is the onus on everyone else and not LLL here?  Why shouldn't he need to back up his bullshit claims?  Instead, you're just telling everyone to leave Britney alone.

Not to mention he admitted he was trolling to get a reaction. Truly a bizarre response to what was actually happening in this thread and then quadrupling down on it.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

the words of Emma Lazarus accurately reflected our history of immigration. Her words, it turns out, were aspirational only.

I think this is true, but also insanely important. That is the true point of America. To aspire to these lofty goals. To strive to be a more perfect nation. Not perfect. More perfect. 

When we have been at our best is when we have acknowledged our mistakes and shortcomings, however terrible they were. The goal then is to continue to strive. We are human. We are not perfect. To pretend America has already achieved what we set out to do is missing the entire idea. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

What I'm reading and hearing is that Texas doesn't want the influx of brown immigrants, illegally for sure and probably not too many of the legal ones either, and that just because we are geographically abutting the brown countries the US response, to these people, seem to be "Too bad, just deal with it and you are a racist if you don't like it."

40-50% of construction jobs in Texas are immigrants. While you might think that means roofers and day laborers, it is also a lot of middle class jobs like heavy machine operators and the running of crews. But as stated many times Texas/Texans/Americans are all addicted to value and low prices, and Republicans have no interest in solving this problem going back decades, and most people don't care to be informed.

I'm sure the numbers are much higher in other industries that employ the 3rd party contractor or recruiter model - like landscaping, cleaning services, child care.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Starts at noon on January 20, 2025

Speaking of noon on a January 20th.  On that date, 82 years ago...some men sat around a buffet lunch and discussed the removal of undesired groups from their country.  There are some fractured historical accounts of their conversation, even some films and books about it.  The secondhand accounts do specifically address their questioning of what should be done with people under their party's control who are of "mixed blood", those considered "half pure" and "half undesired"...and whether or not they should be removed from their society.  What is lost to history, but absolutely did happen, was these gentlemen of luncheon leisure decided a good place to start as a mark of commitment to a purging effort was to have men of rank within their party and their ruling class disown wives of "impure blood lineage."  It was considered a badge of honor and dedication to the party to divorce/disown/deport family members who were not of pure white heritage.  And that's how they started.  For who could deny the Party's ultimatums when the Party itself was making the same sacrifice? 

Were I a white person married to a spouse of Latino/a heritage and supporting the current regime, I'd think long and hard about what comes next.  Particularly with regard to children of mixed blood.  Exemptions will not protect you.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

10 hours ago, miguelito said:

I'm currently slogging through The Guns of August

I read that. I can save you some trouble. Everybody does some stupid shit diplomatically, then war breaks out. None of the plans work out, it bogs down, everybody dies for about 4 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Can I introduce you to Clarence Thomas?

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Particularly with regard to children of mixed blood. 

I have five nieces and nephews that fit this description. Their grandparents I’m betting are voting for the dotard despite this. Leopards eating faces. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I read that. I can save you some trouble. Everybody does some stupid shit diplomatically, then war breaks out. None of the plans work out, it bogs down, everybody dies for about 4 years.

Yep, good summary, but very well written.

39 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Total surly sidetrack.  I, too, find Guns of August to be a bit of a slog.  But I thoroughly enjoyed the somewhat similar Dreadnought.

What it is, I think, is that she refers to things of which I have at least peripheral knowledge in ways that don't immediately make sense.  Things like if not specifically the Zimmerman Telegram.  And then I find myself digging around on wikipedia and other sources and lose track of the book.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

40-50% of construction jobs in Texas are immigrants. While you might think that means roofers and day laborers, it is also a lot of middle class jobs like heavy machine operators and the running of crews. But as stated many times Texas/Texans/Americans are all addicted to value and low prices, and Republicans have no interest in solving this problem going back decades, and most people don't care to be informed.

I'm sure the numbers are much higher in other industries that employ the 3rd party contractor or recruiter model - like landscaping, cleaning services, child care.

Hotels, restaurants, warehouses, meat production, food processing and packing, the list goes on and on.  Anyone saying they want to round all these people up and deport them is not being straight with you about the economic consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Total surly sidetrack.  I, too, find Guns of August to be a bit of a slog.  But I thoroughly enjoyed the somewhat similar Dreadnought.

What it is, I think, is that she refers to things of which I have at least peripheral knowledge in ways that don't immediately make sense.  Things like if not specifically the Zimmerman Telegram.  And then I find myself digging around on wikipedia and other sources and lose track of the book.

For anybody mildly interested in WW1, you gotta check out The Secret War in Mexico, by Friedrich Katz. Katz digs down into it. You had the Germans wanting to blow up the oil fields and/or goad the Mexicans into fighting so the US couldn't spare troops for Europe, the British plotting a coup, and America thinking "Hmmm, I wonder if we shouldn't just peel off another row of Mexican states for ourselves?" Not to mention everything being pretty much wrecked by La Revolución. Carranza was at the poker table bluffing with a pair of twos, and managed to emerge in one piece. OK, maybe not him, but the country.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-War-Mexico-Mexican-Revolution/dp/0226425894

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Hotels, restaurants, warehouses, meat production, food processing and packing, the list goes on and on.  Anyone saying they want to round all these people up and deport them is not being straight with you about the economic consequences. 

More likely they are just fucking racist morons. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

For anybody mildly interested in WW1, you gotta check out The Secret War in Mexico, by Friedrich Katz. Katz digs down into it. You had the Germans wanting to blow up the oil fields and/or goad the Mexicans into fighting so the US couldn't spare troops for Europe, the British plotting a coup, and America thinking "Hmmm, I wonder if we shouldn't just peel off another row of Mexican states for ourselves?" Not to mention everything being pretty much wrecked by La Revolución. Carranza was at the poker table bluffing with a pair of twos, and managed to emerge in one piece. OK, maybe not him, but the country.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-War-Mexico-Mexican-Revolution/dp/0226425894

Got any that aren’t $90 for a paperback?!?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

All her works were required reading in the household. Mom was a big fan. Check out March of Folly. Reminds me of our border policy over the years.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Got any that aren’t $90 for a paperback?!?

Yeah it’s called the library. If you can avoid the trans groomer book readers 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Man. I haven’t set foot in a public library in probably 25 years. 

My brother it is the year of our lord 2024. They have electronic books online now you can borrow from the library 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My brother it is the year of our lord 2024. They have electronic books online now you can borrow from the library 

Yes. Hence why I haven’t been to a physical library in 25 years. If I want a book now, which is often, I just buy it on Amazon or Kindle

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes. Hence why I haven’t been to a physical library in 25 years. If I want a book now, which is often, I just buy it on Amazon or Kindle

Libraries still don't charge for the books 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Man. I haven’t set foot in a public library in probably 25 years. 

I believe I got my copy from a local university library. Just wear some tweed and mumble about being a former professor. They'll give you a card.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/12/2024 at 10:02 PM, Brisketexan said:

Actually, I’ve got an easy solution. DPS won’t let CBP into the park, they’ve erected a fence and such.
Cool. Have CBP erect another fence rights outside the park. And don’t let DPS, or anyone else, out. Wanna create your little walled enclave? Cool. You live there now.

image.png.28e2b5f09ba2bac3f1ce37cd7dee57cd.png

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Goddamn it Canecutter. Next time use a

This whole book is now ruined and I'd barely started the chapter on Franz Ferdinand. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:09 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Abbott should be arrested 

On 1/17/2024 at 12:14 PM, Longhornlove said:

Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on X or watch on the news.

image.thumb.png.64fbbeef8602795f3b7a482dff58e091.png

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/doj-filing-shows-texas-did-not-stop-border-patrol-from-saving-drowning-migrants/

Not only that, they admitted that the people drowned before the Border Patrol/DHS notified Texas of the incoming immigrants.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:55 PM, Longhornlove said:

On January 12, 2024, at approximately 9:00 p.m., Mexican officials advised Border Patrol of two migrants in distress on the U.S. side of the river in the area near the Shelby Park boat ramp. App., infra, 2a. Mexican officials also informed Border Patrol that three migrants -- one woman and two children -- had drowned at approximately 8:00 p.m. in the same area. 

An Acting Supervisory Border Patrol Agent went to the Shelby Park entrance gate and informed the guardsmen from the Texas National Guard stationed there of the drowned migrants.

8 pm is before 9 pm right. They were already dead and recovered.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23A607/295753/20240115213955445_DHS v TX Second supplemental.pdf Is this link good enough for you or do you get all your "real" info second or third hand on X?

Here is how confusion begins. 

LHL is arguing that since Mexican officials informed BP of the migrant deaths that occurred at 8pm at 9pm, then the BP could not possibly have saved them. Therefore TNG did not stop BP from saving their lives since it was impossible due to timing. Any official that states TNG stopped BO from saving their life is lying 

Greg Abbot argues the same position 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-admits-migrants-drownings-occurred-before-border-patrol-alerted-texas-officials

The White House had been similarly scathing over the deaths on Saturday evening.

"On Friday night, a woman and two children drowned near Eagle Pass, and Texas officials blocked U.S. Border Patrol from attempting to provide emergency assistance. While we continue to gather facts about the circumstances of these tragic deaths, one thing is clear: Governor Abbott’s political stunts are cruel, inhumane, and dangerous. U.S. Border Patrol must have access to the border to enforce our laws."

Here is the disconnect. 

“Texas officials blocked Patrol from attempting to provide emergency assistance” is actually a true statement when you take into account when Texas seized control of the area. The assumption is BP would have been able to provide emergency assistance before the migrants died if they were doing their jobs patrolling the area like always. And since no migrants drowned on their watch previously, it’s not an outrageous assumption. 

Greg Abbot, Fox News, and LHL are trying to frame the argument that since the migrants died before BP was informed of the deaths, Texas National Guard did not block emergency assistance from saving their lives. That statement is also true, but it’s ignoring a shit ton of context. 

Yay America 

Edited by Neonmoon
Dark mode
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Here is how confusion begins. 

LHL is arguing that since Mexican officials informed BP of the migrant deaths that occurred at 8pm at 9pm, then the BP could not possibly have saved them. Therefore TNG did not stop BP from saving their lives since it was impossible due to timing. Any official that states TNG stopped BO from saving their life is lying 

Greg Abbot argues the same position 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-admits-migrants-drownings-occurred-before-border-patrol-alerted-texas-officials

Here is the disconnect. 

“Texas officials blocked Patrol from attempting to provide emergency assistance” is actually a true statement when you take into account when Texas seized control of the area. The assumption is BP would have been able to provide emergency assistance before the migrants died if they were doing their jobs patrolling the area like always. And since no migrants drowned on their watch previously, it’s not an outrageous assumption. 

Greg Abbot, Fox News, and LHL are trying to frame the argument that since the migrants died before BP was informed of the deaths, Texas National Guard did not block emergency assistance from saving their lives. That statement is also true, but it’s ignoring a shit ton of context. 

Yay America 

And, of course, the question arises, if TMD/TNG is doing such a great job patrolling that area, why in the blue fuck didn't they offer assistance or save the distressed?

It doesn't appear that TMD/TNG made a single move toward assisting those in distress, including those that did not drown.

And this would seem to underscore that they are there to obstruct and not to do a better job than CBP.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3