Super Bowl LVII - Las Vegas

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Bronko Nagurski says no.

Pffft.

Daryl Johnston's claim wouldn't even be based on carries, yards, or TDs...at least not his.

Has anybody else seen all ridiculous shit you can gamble on?
Examples: O/U on the players jersey number to score first,
O/U on how many times Taylor Swift is shown on camera,
seeing if the last play is a kneel down or comes down the wire
You can try this one 3966dcb66a646fca424a769599bdd94c.jpg
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

He looks like the ‘whacky cousin’ of the main family on a 1990s sitcom they bring in during the last season as a Hail Mary to keep from getting cancelled.  

Yeah he comes in right after the “spunky grandma” and right before the last-ditch pet monkey.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

The only talking head I’ve seen pick SF is Jeff Saturday. Lulz. 

Everyone and their mother thinks KC is going to win, but Vegas still has the Niners as favorites. I don't know what's going on, but I'm going to side with the guys who make enough billions each year to sustain a massive tourist mecca in the middle of the desert. SF wins 21-17.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Everyone and their mother thinks KC is going to win, but Vegas still has the Niners as favorites. I don't know what's going on, but I'm going to side with the guys who make enough billions each year to sustain a massive tourist mecca in the middle of the desert. SF wins 21-17.

I guess you, and a shitload of people really, don't actually understand how lines work. It's not a prediction of who is going to win. They move the line based on where the money is coming in. When they need more for one side or the other, it moves in the opposite direction to get the money coming in on the other side. Their goal is at minimum a neutral financial outcome, or preferably one with money coming into the house. Behind the scenes, it's actually pretty interesting.

For this game, it's pretty obvious that money is coming in fairly balanced for each side. No need to move the line.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I guess you, and a shitload of people really, don't actually understand how lines work. It's not a prediction of who is going to win. They move the line based on where the money is coming in. When they need more for one side or the other, it moves in the opposite direction to get the money coming in on the other side. Their goal is at minimum a neutral financial outcome, or preferably one with money coming into the house. Behind the scenes, it's actually pretty interesting.

For this game, it's pretty obvious that money is coming in fairly balanced for each side. No need to move the line.

Yes, I understand that. What I was saying is that I have noticed most people I talk to in my day-to-day life or pundits on TV are picking the Chiefs so I would expect the majority of bettors to also be picking the Chiefs. However, the line has really not moved. So that tells me that the people picking KC are mainly small bettors and those picking SF are big bettors, who probably have a better idea of what they are doing. Simply an observation.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They should do like ESPN does with MNF.  The game on one channel and the other channel with celebrity commentary.  Instead of the Mannings, just a full time insert of Taylor Swift and whoever else is in her suite.

They will do this. 

49 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They should do like ESPN does with MNF.  The game on one channel and the other channel with celebrity commentary.  Instead of the Mannings, just a full time insert of Taylor Swift and whoever else is in her suite.  just ambient stadium noise.  No filter.  No dump button.

I would watch the 2nd channel for every game it was offered.

Kinda weird that we're spending more time talking about Mahomes' dad's struggles than we are about Taylor Swift but still bitching we're talking about Taylor Swift too much.  

Also, 24-hours until she's first spotted in Las Vegas (our time) when she arrives.  So go ahead and do a well-check on loved ones who are upset about her presence at the game.  

It may have been an urban myth, but I remember when people said that the Sunday night/Monday morning after the Super Bowl was the highest rates of domestic violence calls/hospital visits because of men losing money on the game + drinking and taking it out on their wives/girlfriends.  Maybe this year, it'll be "I fucking hate that woman, why is she taking over the NFL? (Punches wife)  Dammit though, why can't you be more like her?" 

csb/ ran into one of the Hunt grandchildren this past week on campus.  Hardcore politically.  But absolutely delighted to be attending the game.  Still don't understand their connection between Texas and Missouri, but could make for an interesting sitcom premise. 

Chiefs defense looks good, just so damn bummed Omenihu can't go tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

.  Still don't understand their connection between Texas and Missouri,

H.L. Hunt made his initial fortune in East Texas oil and Hunt Oil Co. was based in Dallas. Lamar’s  original AFL team was the Dallas Texans but couldn’t compete with the fledgling NFL franchise, the Cowboys. He moved the team to Kansas City because it was an easy commute from Dallas. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

H.L. Hunt made his initial fortune in East Texas oil and Hunt Oil Co. was based in Dallas. Lamar’s  original AFL team was the Dallas Texans but couldn’t compete with the fledgling NFL franchise, the Cowboys. He moved the team to Kansas City because it was an easy commute from Dallas. 

I did not know that about the AFL franchise moving to K.C.  I know a fair amount about the Hunt family history, but jackshit about the NFL history.  

A funny aside, earlier today---wife was on her usual Saturday conf. call with her family.  Almost all of whom are in Kansas and lifelong Chiefs fans.  Literally half of them said they weren't going to watch the game tomorrow.  Because you know, it's only the Super Bowl and the most exciting thing to happen to Kansas since the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918.

55 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

But no one has seen or heard from Mike Hunt in ages. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They should do like ESPN does with MNF.  The game on one channel and the other channel with celebrity commentary.  Instead of the Mannings, just a full time insert of Taylor Swift and whoever else is in her suite.

The NFL has to love this shit. I saw a third of their viewers are women. 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's a really dumb joke that is trying waaaay too hard and isn't funny but over your head? 

I don't get the joke, for whatever that's worth.

This is my first SB February in 29 years that didn't involve pushing for a business result, executing in the stores, and doing our best to not have any outages.  Then in the Panhandle area last night through midday today, they are predicting anywhere from 4" to a foot of snow.  Yeah, the stores were wiped yesterday, and SB Sunday is typically insane until about 3:30PM or so.

Taking it easy. Got some local brisket and turkey for the game. Wine for the wife and bourbon for me is ready to go.

I think it is going to be a great game.  Hoping for Chiefs 27,  49ers 23 type ending.

Enjoying the last football game of the year...and then pitchers/ catchers reporting.

Edited by slorch