Super Bowl LVII - Las Vegas

tx 3 putt

On 2/12/2024 at 7:38 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Exactly. Anyone think Brady is winning any super bowls if he gets drafted by the Jets?

This made me wonder how things might have gone if Reid would have drafted VY.  About that time is when McNabb was starting to lose a step.  Could those two have won some superbowls together?

This made me wonder how things might have gone if Reid would have drafted VY.  About that time is when McNabb was starting to lose a step.  Could those two have won some superbowls together?

McNabb never had a step. Terrible big game qb. Puking on TOs shoes in the huddle of the Super Bowl. He was the protoDak.

Reid might have made a real career for VY. The fact is Jeff fisher would have turned Roger Staubach, Bart Starr, and Otto Graham into Sage Rosenfeld.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Let's not pretend she is some rags to riches story. She had the backing of her parents money to do what she wanted and money gets her access to stuff most don't in that industry or life in general. She might not have had the backing of Disney machine but she did have the backing of a lot money to push her along.

The first concert I took my son to was Britney Spears ~ 2003. The "Disney" production was not unlike ... a Super bowl halftime production. There was no way in hell Britney wasn't going to be wildly successful. Did she perform well and entertain? Yes. Can she sing? Don't really know, it was hard to tell with all the theatrics and army of musicians and backing vocals on stage. 

21 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Now do Mahomes and McCaffrey.  

This. Most kids anymore are groomed by personal coaches and "professionals" at an early age.  Kids play select sports instead of little league and a lot of them choose a sport to focus on before they reach puberty. Some of them reach the pinnacle. Most of them don't. 

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Her parents were millionaires and allowed her do pursue her passion with zero risk at an early age.

I don't care about her music one way or the other. She's just a generic pop act with little substance and a huge following. Good for her. But to pretend she's some big underdog story? Lol./

Zero risk, like spending every waking moment pursuing your dream to realize you can't sing? Most parents would think having your kids dreams crushed before they are teenagers is a big risk.

"Just a generic pop act?"

You mean the cute girl with an intergalactic following that generated an army of Chief's fans, in Munich?  You be you.

19 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is just stupidity. I don’t follow her music but you don’t just waltz into big record deals at 14 and get ordained a superstar. You have to have serious talent, and you have to be an entertainer genetically. It’s fucking hard work and the odds of actually putting together a sustainable long career are infinitesimal.

The typical common issue: they could sing but couldn’t entertain. You either got it or you don’t.

This. You can fake it til you make it, but either you got it or you don't. 

19 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Man, this thread started out about football & Taylor Swift, and now, it's pretty much just Taylor:train trainwreck GIF

Really, my post focused on the symbiotic Reid-Mahomes relationship as the force in the NFL.

Don't think anybody responded to that.

Its all about Taylor. 

She does check off a lot of boxes.

image.thumb.png.c88c487dd6db103a582c674e11f4e179.png

image.png.54736d7274abee59ffcb79e727f8b39b.png

56 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Some people are miserable pricks who are only happy when they have something to hate on. 

I don’t have anything for, or against, her. She seems nice. I don’t really care about her, in any fashion.

I was rooting against KC because I am tired of the commercials.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think eh did have a youngish Vince backing up Vick?

You are right.  VY actually started the first 3 games of the 2011 season for Philly.   It was not a great team, and in 2012 Reid would be gone.  So not sure how much was on VY's shoulders for the season, or the team overall.  I'd forgotten about that.  

You are right.  VY actually started the first 3 games of the 2011 season for Philly.   It was not a great team, and in 2012 Reid would be gone.  So not sure how much was on VY's shoulders for the season, or the team overall.  I'd forgotten about that.  
That was the labeled "Dream Team" by Vince after all their off-season moves that blew up on them. And the mediocre Giants with dorky Eli won it all that year

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think Vince put up some really good numbers but one thing I remember is he let Julian Edelman tackle him at the goal line.  The an okc er Dan Dierdorf was appalled

very next year the eagles let Vince go. Reid said he should look for a starting job instead of backing Vick

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I was rooting against KC because I am tired of the commercials.

This. Mahomes and Kelce possibly two of the worst athlete actors. Maybe it’s the design. Even Coach Reid is better.

I’m trying to think of something else you can be all pro in (like football) and then someone gives you just as much money to suck so bad in something else. In the end, it doesn’t matter if they sell product. Sigh.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:04 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

he was basically every tech QB ever at that point. Reid 100% developed him when he was back to Alex smith as a rookie. 

Not so sure on that 100%.

Mahones led the Chiefs to the AFC champ game in his 2nd year in the league (and first year as a starter), where they lost in OT to the eventual SB champions.

Edited by redswingline

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.23706e19be3f6629e7081535c782650e.jpg

Yeah the sure pick just got cut from his 3rd team in 7 seasons.  Couldn't make it with the fucking Steelers who basically have ZERO at the position.

No risk it, no Tribiscuit.

Meanwhile...

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, redswingline said:

Not so sure on that 100%.

Mahones led the Chiefs to the AFC champ game in his 2nd year in the league (and first year as a starter), where they lost in OT to the eventual SB champions.

I mean I'm not sure I agree with his implication, but how is the fact that Mahomes was productive in his second season a counterargument to the idea that Reid developed him in his rookie season? 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean I'm not sure I agree with his implication, but how is the fact that Mahomes was productive in his second season a counterargument to the idea that Reid developed him in his rookie season? 

The argument is not that Reid didn't develop Mahomes.  The notion that there wasn't substance to work with is ludicrous.  Baker fucking Mayfield saw it before PMII ever set foot on campus as a player.  We as fans knew it too.  Did we know he would become the face of the NFL?  Of course not.

He was a bad motherfucker in college.  He just had one of the worst defenses on his squad that many of us had ever seen.  His offensive line also precipitated the 'run for your life' mode that Patrick still uses now. In 2015, Tech scored 52, 35, 27, and  53 in LOSSES to ranked teams.  In the Texas Bowl, LSU thumped Tech 56-27, but in the 3rd quarter, when Tech pulled to within 21-20, LSU started pulling their fake injury bullshit to disrupt Tech and then played keep away/ feed Fournette the ball to keep it out of Mahomes' hands.  After the game, LSU sure was praising Mahomes plenty.

In 2016, in their losses,  Tech scored 55 @ AzState, 38@ K-State, 17 vs WVU, 59 vs OU, 37 vs Texas, 44 @ Okie Lite, and 10 @ Iowa State.  It is a far bigger indictment of Kingsbury than anyone else that those teams didn't win more.

The argument is not that Reid hasn't developed Mahomes or that the relationship isn't symbiotic; but rather that Mahomes is just some JAG that lucked into the spot.  Again, that notion is laughably idiotic.

Before Mahomes, you have to go back to Billie Joel Tolliver in 1989 to find a Tech quarterback drafted before the 6th round. The only air raid quarterbacks to even get drafted were Kingsbury and Symons.

Not a single fucking scout or person with two eyes viewed Mahomes as just another system quarterback with inflated stats. He was a little raw, but the talent was blatantly obvious. The reason that he "fell" to the 10th pick was the mental stigma of selecting a college quarterback who lost more games than he won and probably a tinge of "black quarterback with inconsistent fundamentals who wants to bail from the pocket and do his own thing" skewing.

But he was immediately one of those "holy shit, you wouldn't believe what this rookie is doing in camp" kind of guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Anyone that was paying attention when he was at Tech saw this every week. I was regularly floored by the things he could do. Watching guys at lesser schools like Tech just rip it up has always been one of my favorite things about college football. Those lesser known guys that turn out to have amazing abilities.

I will never understand the logic of not drafting someone due to where they went to school. It's probably the dumbest thing i hear every year when QBs are evaluated. I thought CJ Stroud was awesome too but had to hear every chucklefuck dipshit talk about how Ohio State QBs never work out, as if JT Barrett or Dwayne Haskins have anything whatsoever to do with CJ Stroud's ability to absolutely hum a football with amazing accuracy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Or the NFL should finally get smart and move the game to Saturday night. Parties would be even more epic!

That would be great but will never happen because the roots of the NFL are Sunday games.

I would not mind if they moved the game up and started at 2 or 3 CST however.

Would be much better.

Edited by Steamboat1874

49 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That would be great but will never happen because the roots of the NFL are Sunday games.

Would be much better.

I remember when I was a boy the Super Bowl used to come on at like 2 CST, 3 or 4 the latest. 

I always thought the kickoff time was fine until my daughter wanted to stay up to watch it.  I hadn't watched a SB all the way through in decades, but trying to fake that the game was over to a 9yo at 9pm is fucking tough to do.  She's watched enough Longhorn games with to know that "3rd QTR, 2 minutes remaining" before they break for ads means there's more football left.  It's like DT/ST time changes, I didn't give a shit for my whole life.  But when you have young kids, that next day is a fucking shit-show.  But she and her friends were all on Cloud9 at school on Monday and Tuesday as a result, so the sleep drama thing was worth it.  

Now next year, when Detroit makes it in finally and we're all up until 2am watching one of America's great 20th Century cities burn to the fucking ground on TV, that'll be when we should have a national "Day Off"  

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I only gave one data point which in itself isn't a strong counter argument but I'm arguing against the entire statement.

The reality is that players receive instruction and development their entire life. He was the top QB in college football when he left and was under Coach Bro's tutelage for years. The only reason he didn't win the Heisman was because of the shit stain that was TTU as a whole. He didn't get to the league at zero percent and then just all of the sudden become great sitting for a year behind Alex Smith.  That ability was already there, Reid or not.

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe next time, don't focus so much on what your previous franchise QB did or didn't do during the anthem, or God's plan for you is, or who is up in a box distracting the fans...but you had 5 fucking weeks to read the goddamn playoff rules for Overtime.  Maybe do what 35% America can't seem to fucking do and read a couple paragraphs and try and win a football game instead of bitching about the distractions in life.  Hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, "Oh wait, do we want the ball or the balls on our face?"  

Obviously all part of the CIA psyops conspiracy against American Values.  

But seriously, only time you don't worry about Missouri is when they're not shooting one another.  Because that usually means they're shooting at us.  

6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Would be much better.

I can remember Super Bowls in the 70;s during afternoons.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I napped through halftime.

IMG_0041.gif.6c271a2a6e64c74e86a5426fda7d8a68.gif

I turned it off early 4Q just after the Niners took the lead.  I think a 5:30 or 6:00 KO would be good.  Not a fan of the Saturday night idea, Saturday night’s alright for fighting, just not for the SB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Maybe fire the coin-toss coordinator first.  

But yeah, that seems extreme.  Their unit performed pretty well during the season just based on my half-assed, armchair stats lookback.  

Greg Davis laughs in their general direction.