Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i can't WAIT to see these idiots who think it's bulletproof test it and end up with a bigass hole in their drivers door.

if anyone sees that before please make sure you share it here...

Hole in the driver's door? Their doors are going to look like this:

image.png.6ded96f3c97ee1082b7b987922a1c436.png

Is that really any better?

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Hole in the driver's door? Their doors are going to look like this:

image.png.6ded96f3c97ee1082b7b987922a1c436.png

Is that really any better?

yeah if you get carjacked or they want to kill you, just like every car since the invention of the car windows, they are going to shoot you through the notably not bullet proof windows.

Elon's bold new strategy to replace ad dollars he has lost:  go after smaller advertisers!

https://www.ft.com/content/cdf789a2-8872-41fe-94e7-ff30ebe631b7

X is racing to attract smaller and medium-sized businesses to prop up its flailing advertising business, following Elon Musk’s profanity-strewn attack on the big brands that are boycotting his social media platform.

The billionaire has accused major advertisers such as Disney, IBM and Apple, which halted spending on X following his endorsement of an antisemitic post, of “blackmail”. He told the boycotting groups to “go fuck” themselves.

Following those remarks on Wednesday, X is doubling down on investments to facilitate ad spending by smaller players, seeking to offset the steep revenue losses from the departure of larger advertisers that Musk said were “going to kill the company”.

“Small and medium businesses are a very significant engine that we have definitely underplayed for a long time,” the company told the Financial Times. “It [was] always part of the plan — now we will go even further with it.”

Spoiler

Already this month, X has been forging tie-ups with third parties, such as US marketing start-up JumpCrew, to which it will outsource some ad sales to target small and medium-sized businesses, the company said.

It added this push would now be accelerated, alongside plans to develop more subscription and data licensing services.

The latest advertiser exodus has raised fresh fears about the financial health of X. The New York Times reported last week that X was at risk of losing up to $75mn this quarter from the advertising boycott, citing leaked internal documents. X disputed the figure to the FT, estimating the fall was between $10mn and $12mn.

The Tesla chief’s $44bn takeover last year has also saddled the company with huge interest repayments on the debt, worth more than $1bn annually. Last month, X told employees it valued the company’s equity at just $19bn.

One former X senior sales executive said Musk would need to make a choice between keeping a large ads team or moving towards cheaper solutions, such as further outsourcing sales and adopting an automated “self-service small business platform”.

Such a shift would be difficult, the former executive added, as X’s ads offering to businesses lags behind rivals such as Meta, Google and TikTok due to a historical lack of “commitment to building a world-class ads platform”. 

Some industry executives said a switch in advertising strategy would help, as there were sectors less inclined to care about Musk’s words, such as sports gambling. Some right-wing influencers, such as Andrew Tate, have pledged to spend millions on advertising on the platform. 

However, other industry executives added that Musk’s latest outburst would probably lead to fresh freezes in spending.

Linda Yaccarino, X’s chief executive hired by Musk for her deep connections to the advertising world, was bombarded by calls from friends and associates last weekend during her daughter’s wedding, according to several people familiar with the matter. They urged her to quit to protect her reputation.

On Thursday evening, Yaccarino instead sent a company-wide email cheering on X’s stance on fighting “censorship” and stating that Musk had shared an “unmatched and completely unvarnished perspective” and vision for the future. 

“Our principles do not have a price tag, nor will they be compromised — ever,” she wrote. “And no matter how hard they try, we will not be distracted by sideline critics who don’t understand our mission.” 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Elon's bold new strategy to replace ad dollars he has lost:  go after smaller advertisers!

https://www.ft.com/content/cdf789a2-8872-41fe-94e7-ff30ebe631b7

Reveal hidden contents

Already this month, X has been forging tie-ups with third parties, such as US marketing start-up JumpCrew, to which it will outsource some ad sales to target small and medium-sized businesses, the company said.

It added this push would now be accelerated, alongside plans to develop more subscription and data licensing services.

The latest advertiser exodus has raised fresh fears about the financial health of X. The New York Times reported last week that X was at risk of losing up to $75mn this quarter from the advertising boycott, citing leaked internal documents. X disputed the figure to the FT, estimating the fall was between $10mn and $12mn.

The Tesla chief’s $44bn takeover last year has also saddled the company with huge interest repayments on the debt, worth more than $1bn annually. Last month, X told employees it valued the company’s equity at just $19bn.

One former X senior sales executive said Musk would need to make a choice between keeping a large ads team or moving towards cheaper solutions, such as further outsourcing sales and adopting an automated “self-service small business platform”.

Such a shift would be difficult, the former executive added, as X’s ads offering to businesses lags behind rivals such as Meta, Google and TikTok due to a historical lack of “commitment to building a world-class ads platform”. 

Some industry executives said a switch in advertising strategy would help, as there were sectors less inclined to care about Musk’s words, such as sports gambling. Some right-wing influencers, such as Andrew Tate, have pledged to spend millions on advertising on the platform. 

However, other industry executives added that Musk’s latest outburst would probably lead to fresh freezes in spending.

Linda Yaccarino, X’s chief executive hired by Musk for her deep connections to the advertising world, was bombarded by calls from friends and associates last weekend during her daughter’s wedding, according to several people familiar with the matter. They urged her to quit to protect her reputation.

On Thursday evening, Yaccarino instead sent a company-wide email cheering on X’s stance on fighting “censorship” and stating that Musk had shared an “unmatched and completely unvarnished perspective” and vision for the future. 

“Our principles do not have a price tag, nor will they be compromised — ever,” she wrote. “And no matter how hard they try, we will not be distracted by sideline critics who don’t understand our mission.” 

the reason nobody goes after smaller advertisers is because they pay less money and you need a ton of them to make up for the bigger ones

shockingly they also care a ton about not having their ads next to Nazis and White Power folks

39 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Also, on the list of options that are available for that damned truck:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/1/23983813/botched-cybertruck-demo-immortalized-in-sticker

udWtSb1.png

$55 for a sticker that makes it look like your broke your window?

Or $5 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/EMC-Graphics-Broken-Waterproof-Sticker/dp/B08HHR2CCJ/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

if season 2 of The Walking Dead was airing now they’d totally end up in a cyber truck, logic be damned.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

the whole idea of a late civilizational truck that relies on a fucking powergrid is so goddamn stupid

Except that it isn't reliant on a power grid.  There are plenty of off-grid solar panels on homes that could provide power to charge an EV.  Life span of current generation of solar panels is ~30 years.  Shelf life of gasoline is 2-3 years at best.  Or set up a base camp near a wind farm or hydro. 

After the first couple of years of the zombie apocalypse, you'd be begging for an EV.

51 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Snagged one!

Do I now get invites? If so, how many is the max?

You get them at some time in the future, it takes a bit of time.

You max out at 5. But the refresh rate is odd. Right now I am in a state where they refresh immediately. I had a few spent the other day and once they were consumed, I refreshed back to 5.

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Except that it isn't reliant on a power grid.  There are plenty of off-grid solar panels on homes that could provide power to charge an EV.  Life span of current generation of solar panels is ~30 years.  Shelf life of gasoline is 2-3 years at best.  Or set up a base camp near a wind farm or hydro. 

After the first couple of years of the zombie apocalypse, you'd be begging for an EV.

IMG_5245.gif.5b41eb72a0385ef54a4dfc66b2c45c66.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

You're not gonna be traveling far if you're using solar panels to charge your tesla - unless you've got a whole house's worth and no other demand on their electrical capacity. Whole-home systems with a ton of panels are in the 2-4KW range, and considering a 60-100KWhr battery in a tesla... Not really a realistic thing to defend lol

Oh wait wait that's right, you're totally not defending elmo in this thread though lol

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You're not gonna be traveling far if you're using solar panels to charge your tesla - unless you've got a whole house's worth and no other demand on their electrical capacity. Whole-home systems with a ton of panels are in the 2-4KW range, and considering a 60-100KWhr battery in a tesla... Not really a realistic thing to defend lol

Oh wait wait that's right, you're totally not defending elmo in this thread though lol

I mean... I had a 6.12 kW system on my home in SoCal and I am pricing a 10+kW system for my current home.  So many home systems far exceed 2-4 kW of production.   My Tesla is 82 kWh. Sure... it may take it a couple of days to fully charge it to 350 miles of range on a single home system. 

But here's the kicker... that's still a lot faster than it would take me to find and extract petroleum and refine it into gasoline to run an ICE vehicle. 

And I'm not defending Elmo.  I'm engaging in a thought experiment about what would be more useful long-term in a post-civilization world - an electric vehicle or an ICE vehicle.   

6 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I mean... I had a 6.12 kW system on my home in SoCal and I am pricing a 10+kW system for my current home.  So many home systems far exceed 2-4 kW of production.   My Tesla is 82 kWh. Sure... it may take it a couple of days to fully charge it to 350 miles of range on a single home system. 

But here's the kicker... that's still a lot faster than it would take me to find and extract petroleum and refine it into gasoline to run an ICE vehicle. 

And I'm not defending Elmo.  I'm engaging in a thought experiment about what would be more useful long-term in a post-civilization world - an electric vehicle or an ICE vehicle.   

if a ZA happens, everyone is fucked. cars or not. solar or not. gas or not.

everyone, as a group, is fucked.

I googled for 2 minutes before I got bored and saw someone somewhere said that the degradation is mostly a problem for newer engines. So I’m rolling 1994 Ford F150, fuck the crew cab and I’m finding a Motley Crue cassette tape somewhere.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc25dbb9610b9143f0ab776ce5470b1e.jpeg

it’s going to be tight

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Not if you have an alliance to bring back guzzoline from Gas Town and ammo from the Bullet Farm on the Thunder Road. 

I jest but anything that’s networked is fucked and we could expect resources to flow to keeping cobbled together the most widespread and easily reparable infrastructure. No OTA service will be coming. Sweet spot is 1990s/early 2000s mass market rides that have lots of available spare parts but that have good reliability. And any Toyota Hilux. 

• Hook 'Em 3

But wait, there's more!

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-baby-cybertruck-release-pre-order-price-elon-musk-1851065542

4f5dbbd8498bdc1bc475a53a50c66ee5.jpg

For just $1,500, you can drive one of these bad boys home—that’s 18,000 Dogecoin if you’ve turned your back on the fed. Cybertruck for Kids can accommodate children up to 150 lbs and can drive 12 miles on a single charge at speeds up to 10mph. It’s unclear if children will face the $50,000 legal penalty if they resell their mini Cybertruck like Elon Musk threatened against adult Cybertruck owners. Cybertruck for Kids was released shortly after Tesla’s first adult models were delivered, and they’re meant for Elon Musk fans between the ages of 6 and 12.

It’s unclear if Cybertruck for Kids has a bulletproof body, but it does come with LED headlights and tail lights, as well as a 500-watt motor. Tesla does not recommend your child throw a steel ball through the window of their Cybertruck, as the grown adult and Tesla lead designer Franz von Holzhausen did in 2019. A harmless bouncy ball is a much more fun option to throw at your Cybertruck, as Halzhausen did at Tesla’s delivery event Thursday for some reason.

The vehicles are currently sold out, so you’ll have to join a waitlist. However, Cybertruck for Kids will actually ship in December 2023, before any of the real Cybertruck models. The $1,500 price tag may seem expensive for a children’s gift (nerf football: $12), but Tesla is not shy of skimping on price. Consider the real Cybertruck, which was advertised as costing $39,900 in 2019, but now actually costs $61,000 for the base model.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

oh my god i forgot about the fact that we are getting ready to see a ton of deaths in cybertruck-related accidents.

the design of the front vs a pedestrian or motorcycle is going to (sadly) kill a ton of people in any accident.

serious question- how is that front end any worse than the front end of the monsters on the road today?

534572d1507331915-2016-2018-front-end-sw

15 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

serious question- how is that front end any worse than the front end of the monsters on the road today?

534572d1507331915-2016-2018-front-end-sw

doing some more research on it it has something to do with most modern large vehicles basically "pushing" pedestrians out (so they are rounding out from the middle of the badge basically?) whereas a CT has a flat front that evidently will do more to "pull" a pedestrian under?

doesn't have to do with the sharp edges has to do with it being more of tall and "flat" front + being a light truck (1.45x more likely to kill a pedestrian vs a car) - again this is from what I understand

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45837841/iihs-tall-vehicle-dangerous-pedestrians/

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/vehicles-with-higher-more-vertical-front-ends-pose-greater-risk-to-pedestrians

The new IIHS report states that vehicles with "especially tall front ends," namely those with a hood height larger than 40 inches, are most dangerous to pedestrians. The report also shows that vehicles with a hood height somewhere between 30 and 40 inches, where the leading edge of the car is a blunt profile (think boxy SUV), also increase risk to pedestrians.

front-end-graphic-all-6553e115d3464.jpg?

i believe this is saying the bottom right is truck +44% more likely to cause a pedestrian fatality than the black car outline. this is before adding in whatever blind spots come from the angled window and the a pillar being so funky

evidently the sharp edges will cause more damage to a pedestrian but not sure that matters THAT much in a vehicle on pedestrian crash?

CT front:

image.png.a88676798fda9683826ea7f6525d77a1.png

image.png.8cf20f998dd24df5d4fe2bfae0fb9e6b.png

image.png.78236e99b18c00522f7946433717e004.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hornian said:

Was. The Exclusivity Deal with Amazon for these vans just ended. You can now buy one if you want, but they are still prioritizing fleet deals so probably a few years before average consumers/one-off buyers like local plumbers/van life aficionados can actually get one. 

I'm not sure if these make their way into the van life arena anytime soon.  You'd need an insane amount of power to be able to be off grid for a week or two like you can do in a Sprinter right now.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't feel sorry for anyone who is still working there after seeing what he's done since he bought it.  

I am not asking anyone to.  I am saying the advertisers weren't hurt by his fuck you, and he won't be hurt if there is a mass advertiser exodus and resulting twitter collapse.  He'll still have 100+ billion in net worth.

The people Elon gave a big hearty "fuck you" to were all the employees at Twitter who don't have his fuck you bank roll.  Whether they deserve it or not doesn't change the fact that they will be the ones that appreciably pay for his arrogant assholery.

• Hook 'Em 1

The lawsuit Elmo filed against Media Matters for America for their reporting about xitter got a bit more interesting as MMFA picked up some lawyers who can't be fucked around with, especially by the low rent dipshits working for Muskkk who used to work for Ken Paxton.

image.thumb.png.4810111abf1b83f7c39f65216ea9d4ff.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

51 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

In a post apocalyptic world, Alex Jones is on my list. 

Good lord, man. It's just the apocalypse. My list doesn't change at all: Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Alba, Sydney Sweeney, Alexandra Aaddario, and Salma Hayak.  First off the bench is Jennifer Connelly if the apocalypse takes one of the others. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Imagine Jeff Bezos deciding to get into the home-building business and designing some shitfuck ugly "futuristic" looking house and one of his selling points was that it would be the best house to own if a real-life Jurrasic park took place.    EVERYONE would think he was insane.   But with QElon, millions of sycophants don't have the mental capacity to say the Emporer has no clothes.   Fucking rubes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, NoName said:

doing some more research on it it has something to do with most modern large vehicles basically "pushing" pedestrians out (so they are rounding out from the middle of the badge basically?) whereas a CT has a flat front that evidently will do more to "pull" a pedestrian under?

doesn't have to do with the sharp edges has to do with it being more of tall and "flat" front + being a light truck (1.45x more likely to kill a pedestrian vs a car) - again this is from what I understand

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45837841/iihs-tall-vehicle-dangerous-pedestrians/

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/vehicles-with-higher-more-vertical-front-ends-pose-greater-risk-to-pedestrians

front-end-graphic-all-6553e115d3464.jpg?

i believe this is saying the bottom right is truck +44% more likely to cause a pedestrian fatality than the black car outline. this is before adding in whatever blind spots come from the angled window and the a pillar being so funky

evidently the sharp edges will cause more damage to a pedestrian but not sure that matters THAT much in a vehicle on pedestrian crash?

CT front:

image.png.a88676798fda9683826ea7f6525d77a1.png

image.png.8cf20f998dd24df5d4fe2bfae0fb9e6b.png

image.png.78236e99b18c00522f7946433717e004.png

I went on a long and mostly ill-advised rant on a different thread about how The Trucks and SUVs are Too Big.  Overall safety goes down, but the drivers of these monsters have safety go up so there’s no incentive to maximize pedestrian and all driver safety. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Imagine Jeff Bezos deciding to get into the home-building business and designing some shitfuck ugly "futuristic" looking house and one of his selling points was that it would be the best house to own if a real-life Jurrasic park took place.    

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=aa6382659c690fa

• Haha 7

Imagine Jeff Bezos deciding to get into the home-building business and designing some shitfuck ugly "futuristic" looking house and one of his selling points was that it would be the best house to own if a real-life Jurrasic park took place.    EVERYONE would think he was insane.   But with QElon, millions of sycophants don't have the mental capacity to say the Emporer has no clothes.   Fucking rubes.

Bro, this is what disruption looks like. Enjoy being left behind. Rube.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

if a ZA happens, everyone is fucked. cars or not. solar or not. gas or not.

everyone, as a group, is fucked.

Speak for yourself.

I will have a Cybertruck and use my skills in falconry and sword fighting to conquer the post-apocalypse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2