Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

7 hours ago, NoName said:

i can't WAIT to see these idiots who think it's bulletproof test it and end up with a bigass hole in their drivers door.

if anyone sees that before please make sure you share it here...

I can't wait until they end up not only with big-ass bullet holes in the driver's door but a dead Elon stan on the inside.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

So pillows and vitamin supplements? Yeah that'll save it, lol.

Every other ad is Tommy Chong's weed gummies or what-not.

5 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Also, on the list of options that are available for that damned truck:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/1/23983813/botched-cybertruck-demo-immortalized-in-sticker

udWtSb1.png

Those are apparently already sold out.

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

You'll be his Channing Tatum :P

this-is-the-end-channing-tateyum.gif

Channing Tate-yum!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

This is my Twitter for just less than 1 day

IMG_2567.jpeg

Your future:

The account you reported was found not to have violated X policy

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Oh, and an old shitty diesel can be converted to run on waste cooking oil and other junk fuels by a good bubba mechanic. 

i’m not sure I want to live in a world where the new powerful oligarchs are former Long John Silver and Churches fried chicken franchise owners

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

i’m not sure I want to live in a world where the new powerful oligarchs are former Long John Silver and Churches fried chicken franchise owners

Did you watch that awful Kevin Costner movie, the second of his post-apocalyptic epic phase, where the main warlord had been a Xerox salesman before The Fall?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Did you watch that awful Kevin Costner movie, the second of his post-apocalyptic epic phase, where the main warlord had been a Xerox salesman before The Fall?

Curse you for bringing out the memories of watching that horrible Postman movie!  A poor plot, poorly written and poorly acted, the only thing I liked about it was Mayor Tom Petty. 

• Like 1

Elmo's been reading his press clippings.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/elon-musk-interview-advertisers-antisemitism-rcna127374

During the sit-down, interviewer Andrew Ross Sorkin asked Musk about his post agreeing with an X user’s accusation that “Jewish communities” push “hatred against whites.” After ostensibly expressing regret for the post, which led to companies like Disney and Netflix pulling ads from X, Musk effectively reversed course. “Prominent people in the Jewish community,” he claimed, helped fund “demonstrations for Hamas in every major city in the West.”

He added: “If you generically, without condition, fund persecuted groups … some of those persecuted groups, unfortunately, want your annihilation.”

Unfortunately, Sorkin tried to move on instead of realizing what it was: Musk doubling down on antisemitism. In so doing, Sorkin displayed how so many in the media have failed in properly addressing Musk’s bigotry.

Musk’s comments were essentially an attempt at a more “acceptable” version of saying that Jews are the funders behind the minority groups trying to destroy the Western world. This is, in fact, the Great Replacement conspiracy theory — the same one that he supposedly apologized for backing. Musk’s latest version is more qualified, and an attempt to be more specific, but it’s still a conspiracy theory based on the idea that Jews are manipulating world affairs in order to destroy white civilization.

Musk has basically said some version of this conspiracy theory for more than a year now. For example, in September, he said George Soros was funding an “invasion” of immigrants into European countries. “The Soros organization” he wrote, “appears to want nothing less than the destruction of western civilization.” In fact, it is easy to find tweet after tweet after tweet after tweet by Musk spreading versions of this conspiracy theory.

Worse, as both Islamophobia and antisemitism are skyrocketing in America, Musk used this moment to also spread Islamophobia by claiming that all protests against the war in Gaza support Hamas.

The fact that this was all so easily overlooked highlights the danger of the moment. The richest man in the world, who owns a major social media company and has the power to guide the direction of wars, is spreading the same conspiracy theory that caused a man to commit a mass shooting in a Pittsburgh synagogue — and other men to kill Black people in Buffalo, immigrants in El Paso and Muslims in Christchurch, New Zealand.

image.thumb.png.6098d167d0b073aa8e187ea0135fce8b.png

• Haha 5

https://www.kxan.com/news/mass-casualty-event-halted-after-man-makes-threats-towards-tesla-event/

Just one day before Tesla’s Thursday Cybertruck delivery event a man was arrested and accused of making online threats aimed at the company’s big day.

According to the arrest report, Paul Ryan Overeem, from Orlando, Florida, was arrested on a charge related to making threats on Instagram.

Court documents said on Nov. 10, the Austin Regional Intelligence Center (ARIC) received an email notification for a suspicious activity report from Tesla.

That report highlighted messages sent in a group chat from an Instagram user. Some of the messages in the report said phrases like, “I sure am crazy though,” “I plan on killing people,” “I wanna die,” “I need to be stopped” and “If I’m saying I’m gonna kill people then you should take this seriously.”

According to the report, law enforcement used the Flock Safety camera search to confirm a sighting of the 2015 black Chevy Tahoe registered to Overeem, which confirmed a sighting on Nov. 28 on Highway 290 in Sunset Valley.

Cellular data was also used to locate Overeem’s cell phone on Almarion Way in Austin.

Overeem was charged with a terrorist threat, a third-degree felony.

According to the report, it stated, “Affiant has reason to believe and does believe Paul Ryan Overeem has arrived in Austin, Travis County, Texas to potentially carry out his threats of a mass casualty event.”

Overeem has no ties or connections to the Austin area, court documents said.

------

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I mean... I had a 6.12 kW system on my home in SoCal and I am pricing a 10+kW system for my current home.  So many home systems far exceed 2-4 kW of production.   My Tesla is 82 kWh. Sure... it may take it a couple of days to fully charge it to 350 miles of range on a single home system. 

But here's the kicker... that's still a lot faster than it would take me to find and extract petroleum and refine it into gasoline to run an ICE vehicle. 

And I'm not defending Elmo.  I'm engaging in a thought experiment about what would be more useful long-term in a post-civilization world - an electric vehicle or an ICE vehicle.   

Anything that's not complete condemnation of the fascist of the thread is defending said fascist, and all fascists for that matter, according to CaptainAnt.  Even if you are discussing something completely tangential to the fascist.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/tesla-cybertruck-shooting-threat-florida-man-arrested-mass-casualty-event-austin-texas/269-9e62b0d3-86b1-4272-848b-75502e83dafd

Gave them plenty of notice

Authorities arrested Overeem after he drove from Florida to Austin to potentially carry out the attack. Traffic cameras spotted Overeem's 2015 black Chevrolet Tahoe on Highway 290 in southwest Austin Tuesday morning. His cellphone also pinged on Wednesday in West Austin, along Almarion Way.

Tesla was notified on Nov. 10 about an Instagram group chat where Overeem was allegedly making threats. The Statesman reports that in one of the messages, Overeem was "planning" an attack at the event, "so up to you guys to stop me."

According to the Associated Press, Tesla delivered about a dozen Cybertrucks during Thursday's event, about two years behind its original schedule. The event started with Tesla CEO Elon Musk driving the truck onto a stage before hopping into the truck's bed to say it's the most unique vehicle on the road.

"Finally, the future will look like the future," Musk said.

Elmo, your future looks like either Damnation Alley

Landmaster.jpg

Or the 1980 Citroën Karin

76211547_2666136563454938_99138647034429

454288-en-video-un-celebre-designer-crit

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anything that's not complete condemnation of the fascist of the thread is defending said fascist, and all fascists for that matter, according to CaptainAnt.  Even if you are discussing something completely tangential to the fascist.

When it's in an effort to evangelize a vanity project for the apartheid heir... You certainly aren't picking the right things to throw in with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:16 AM, wildcat09 said:

@Thetexashammer now that you're back, do you have any response to this?

Maybe a "oh I didn't see that, I was wrong he clearly is a nazi"? Or maybe a tortured rationale for why actually Elon wasn't saying Hitler was right just because he said that someone who was expressly explaining why they thought Hitler was right was telling "the actual truth"? Or maybe a tortured rationale for why you think a guy spouting antisemitic propaganda in support of Hitler isn't a nazi? Anything? 

@Thetexashammer, still nothing huh?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/01/opinion/elon-musk-twitter-x.html

Elon Musk is so smart that you have to wonder if trashing X, formerly Twitter, is somehow in his best interest. This couldn’t possibly be one giant mistake, could it?

Actually I think it is a giant mistake. There is, however, an unlikely scenario where damaging X in the short run might benefit Musk in the long run. Just for kicks, and because everyone is fascinated by the world’s richest person, I’ll take you through it.

First, though, a refresher on why people are talking about Musk and X this week. It’s because he once again did something seemingly inexplicable. On Wednesday at The New York Times DealBook Summit, he charged that companies that had pulled ads from X after he endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory were trying to “blackmail” him. Using profane language repeatedly, he told them, “Don’t advertise.”

This is not the way to lure advertisers back. And it was far from the only thing Musk has done to damage X. He cut more than three-quarters of the staff, including most of those involved in keeping hate speech off the platform, which predictably resulted in more hate speech and fewer advertisers. Dropping the Twitter name and getting rid of the cute blue bird logo didn’t help, either.

But let’s get to the weird theory that Musk is doing all of this deliberately in a way that benefits him in the long run. It starts with the fact that he realized soon after he bid for the company that it was a mistake and tried to back out of the deal, but wasn’t able to extricate himself. So he was uncomfortable with owning X to start with. Then he made management mistakes, such as firing essential employees. And, crucially, interest rates rose sharply, raising the cost of servicing the bank loans he took on to finance the deal.

Spoiler

At this point, the shares he owns in X are worth far less than he paid for them. They aren’t traded, so there’s no public valuation. But the big money manager Fidelity estimates their value for customers of its mutual funds, and as of Sept. 30 it had marked them down by nearly two-thirds from what they were worth when Musk took majority control.

There’s something in finance called gambling for resurrection. It’s when you’re down so far that you don’t have much more to lose, so you’re willing to take big risks in the hope of recouping your losses. The theory is that Musk is gambling for resurrection with a triple bank shot that probably won’t work — but just might.

The main proponent of the crazy-like-a-fox theory, as far as I can tell, is Eric Talley, a professor at Columbia Law School who specializes in corporate law, governance and finance. I interviewed him on Thursday. He admitted, “I am still uncertain myself” whether Musk is engaged in “a diabolical strategy embedded in a four-dimensional chess move” or just being erratic.

If it is 4-D chess, he said, it’s that Musk is trying to harm X in the short run to get the banks that have lent him money to accept that they will have to “restructure” what he owes them — that is, lower the interest rates, extend the payment periods or write off some of the debt altogether. Once that dirty deed is done, he could then focus on getting the less indebted company back on a growth path.

The risk in such a strategy, of course, is that Musk would succeed in talking the company down, but not in talking it back up, leaving his stake in the company worth little to nothing. As Talley put it to me: “To hit the right window on this you need to create a temporary degree of acid indigestion on the part of your creditors, take advantage of that, and hope that the pyrotechnics that you set off don’t ignite the whole company and cause it to lose all its value.”

Talley speculated that Musk might even go a step further and buy some of the loans from the issuing banks, so that X would owe money to him. Then he could put the company into bankruptcy and negotiate to convert his debt into equity, giving him an even bigger share of the ownership. The equity would be worth something if he could then turn the company around.

There are a couple of legal problems with this scenario, aside from the tricky business of how to resurrect a company once it has fallen. One legal problem is that making inaccurate statements about a company to affect its value (up or down) violates securities law and common law. To be sure, Talley wasn’t accusing Musk of doing this, nor am I. Another legal problem is that there could be terms in the agreement with the lenders to block him from acquiring a lot of the bank debt. Sometimes there are even agreements to prohibit revisions of the credit agreement, Talley said.

Again, there’s no evidence that Musk has any such plan. The company didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. But as long as he keeps doing things that damage X’s value, the speculation that he has some kind of ulterior motive will continue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/01/opinion/elon-musk-twitter-x.html

Elon Musk is so smart that you have to wonder if trashing X, formerly Twitter, is somehow in his best interest. This couldn’t possibly be one giant mistake, could it?
Actually I think it is a giant mistake. There is, however, an unlikely scenario where damaging X in the short run might benefit Musk in the long run. Just for kicks, and because everyone is fascinated by the world’s richest person, I’ll take you through it.

First, though, a refresher on why people are talking about Musk and X this week. It’s because he once again did something seemingly inexplicable. On Wednesday at The New York Times DealBook Summit, he charged that companies that had pulled ads from X after he endorsed an antisemitic conspiracy theory were trying to “blackmail” him. Using profane language repeatedly, he told them, “Don’t advertise.”
This is not the way to lure advertisers back. And it was far from the only thing Musk has done to damage X. He cut more than three-quarters of the staff, including most of those involved in keeping hate speech off the platform, which predictably resulted in more hate speech and fewer advertisers. Dropping the Twitter name and getting rid of the cute blue bird logo didn’t help, either.

But let’s get to the weird theory that Musk is doing all of this deliberately in a way that benefits him in the long run. It starts with the fact that he realized soon after he bid for the company that it was a mistake and tried to back out of the deal, but wasn’t able to extricate himself. So he was uncomfortable with owning X to start with. Then he made management mistakes, such as firing essential employees. And, crucially, interest rates rose sharply, raising the cost of servicing the bank loans he took on to finance the deal.

Spoiler

At this point, the shares he owns in X are worth far less than he paid for them. They aren’t traded, so there’s no public valuation. But the big money manager Fidelity estimates their value for customers of its mutual funds, and as of Sept. 30 it had marked them down by nearly two-thirds from what they were worth when Musk took majority control.
There’s something in finance called gambling for resurrection. It’s when you’re down so far that you don’t have much more to lose, so you’re willing to take big risks in the hope of recouping your losses. The theory is that Musk is gambling for resurrection with a triple bank shot that probably won’t work — but just might.
The main proponent of the crazy-like-a-fox theory, as far as I can tell, is Eric Talley, a professor at Columbia Law School who specializes in corporate law, governance and finance. I interviewed him on Thursday. He admitted, “I am still uncertain myself” whether Musk is engaged in “a diabolical strategy embedded in a four-dimensional chess move” or just being erratic.
If it is 4-D chess, he said, it’s that Musk is trying to harm X in the short run to get the banks that have lent him money to accept that they will have to “restructure” what he owes them — that is, lower the interest rates, extend the payment periods or write off some of the debt altogether. Once that dirty deed is done, he could then focus on getting the less indebted company back on a growth path.
The risk in such a strategy, of course, is that Musk would succeed in talking the company down, but not in talking it back up, leaving his stake in the company worth little to nothing. As Talley put it to me: “To hit the right window on this you need to create a temporary degree of acid indigestion on the part of your creditors, take advantage of that, and hope that the pyrotechnics that you set off don’t ignite the whole company and cause it to lose all its value.”
Talley speculated that Musk might even go a step further and buy some of the loans from the issuing banks, so that X would owe money to him. Then he could put the company into bankruptcy and negotiate to convert his debt into equity, giving him an even bigger share of the ownership. The equity would be worth something if he could then turn the company around.
There are a couple of legal problems with this scenario, aside from the tricky business of how to resurrect a company once it has fallen. One legal problem is that making inaccurate statements about a company to affect its value (up or down) violates securities law and common law. To be sure, Talley wasn’t accusing Musk of doing this, nor am I. Another legal problem is that there could be terms in the agreement with the lenders to block him from acquiring a lot of the bank debt. Sometimes there are even agreements to prohibit revisions of the credit agreement, Talley said.
Again, there’s no evidence that Musk has any such plan. The company didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. But as long as he keeps doing things that damage X’s value, the speculation that he has some kind of ulterior motive will continue.

It’s not 4D chess, he’s just a narcissist asshole.

Shit, when they make the documentary of the period from 2016 to the end of the Republic, that might as well be the title.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I just finished my coffee -- it's 9 am here in Fort Collins -- and already have read two of the dumbest fucking takes on the world. One is from the NYT's opinion page (so, unsurprising) and the other is someone here (also unsurprising) who thinks the world doesn't have enough billionaires. The disconnection from reality (from both) is...interesting. Seems like one of our own is ready for his moment of fame as a NYT opinion columnist and I am here to support and encourage it. 

anyway, onto happier thoughts...

image.thumb.png.1a62e1dcbf7ca430b8c73ed8f053a096.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1