Terrible, abhorrent, garbage songs. All genres

Parliament

57 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

none of these songs are as bad as The Shaggs.

I hear you, but there are different kinds of "bad."

There's "bad" like no musical talent at all (Shaggs), and "bad" like really talented people creating commerce that tries to pass itself off as art (pandering).

(edit)  Arguably, there's another kind of bad, which is adopting some kind of silly affectation and using some sort of pressure/trick to get everyone to agree that the action has artistic merit.   

Edited by Paul Wesley

42 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I hear you, but there are different kinds of "bad."

There's "bad" like no musical talent at all (Shaggs), and "bad" like really talented people creating commerce that tries to pass itself off as art (pandering).

(edit)  Arguably, there's another kind of bad, which is adopting some kind of silly affectation and using some sort of pressure/trick to get everyone to agree that the action has artistic merit.   

Look, if someone locks you into a Music Appreciation Straitjacket and says you either have to listen to "My pal's name is foot foot" for the next three hours straight or Starship's "We built this city" instead, what do you choose? I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd choose.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Look, if someone locks you into a Music Appreciation Straitjacket and says you either have to listen to "My pal's name is foot foot" for the next three hours straight or Starship's "We built this city" instead, what do you choose? I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd choose.

Sure, I’ll concede that’s true.  But you’d have to also agree that it’s the other kind of “terrible” that we’re actually subjected to on a regular basis. 

You aren’t getting the Shaggs in elevators, dental waiting rooms, commercial breaks, etc.  

19 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Sure, I’ll concede that’s true.  But you’d have to also agree that it’s the other kind of “terrible” that we’re actually subjected to on a regular basis. 

You aren’t getting the Shaggs in elevators, dental waiting rooms, commercial breaks, etc.  

not with THAT attitude, you aren't

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

These threads always turn into songs you don't like, not Terrible, abhorrent, garbage songs. All genres

Now I give you Terrible, abhorrent, garbage songs. All genres

That's a terrible example.  At least "Mickey" had a classic (if simple) pop hook.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

All true but it's more fun to make fun of stuff that other people like. No one unironically likes the Shaggs. And there's a kind of guileless innocence to them that makes it easy to forgive their gawd awful music.

On the other hand, you have terrible music that critics cream themselves over.

Like Xiu Xiu. Critics seem to love them because their music is so difficult to listen to and they deal with serious subject matter. Give me the Shaggs over this garbage any day.

Edited by ajax
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, ajax said:

All true but it's more fun to make fun of stuff that other people like. No one unironically likes the Shaggs. And there's a kind of guileless innocence to them that makes it easy to forgive their gawd awful music.

On the other hand, you have terrible music that critics cream themselves over.

Like Xiu Xiu. Critics seem to love them because their music is so difficult to listen to and they deal with serious subject matter. Give me the Shaggs over this garbage any day.

You're right. That's awful.

Imagine being a music critic. Not only is 99% of everything crap, but 99% of the NOT crap is insanely derivative. Then one day, something genuinely weird like this comes along. The novelty alone is refreshing! It's new and different! Even if it isn't GOOD, it's going to stand out.

These threads that ask for responses that tend to have a linked YouTube video with each post always crash on my phone.

iPhone 14 (Pro Max)…

-SAFARI crashes

-CHROME crashes

Does this happen for other people?

Page 1 of this thread crashed several times and I gave up. Posting this on Page 2 because it is still early and isn’t crashing my phone. 

Maybe posting videos behind 

Spoiler

👆SPOILER folders would be a good idea. 

21 hours ago, Rip76 said:

If you're ever trying to learn to play the guitar, this is an easy song to start on.   Maybe that means its garbage.  Maybe it means it will not fade from use anytime soon.

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Most hair band metal is truly awful music.  

True, but that just goes with the ol "99% of everything is crap" adage.

There's some amazing hair metal as long as you stick to the early 1980s (or bands that started at any point before 1982).

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Fergie can sing... just not there.

BUT

BUT

Behold, the worst...

I personally feel blessed to be able to see Tonya Harding sing Let It Be, with Costanza dancing in the background.

Screenshot_20240207-1309062.thumb.png.477572102bdba4ebe85bc0bc28406e0a.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

A neat exercise when you’re drunk or have nothing better to do is to see how long you can make it through this song.

7ea36d84-3322-40cd-80f4-e2347ed21b35_tex

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, South Austin said:
A neat exercise when you’re drunk or have nothing better to do is to see how long you can make it through this song.

Lol WTF is this?

I mean, it's definitely amateur, but it's not even close to the level of the Shaggs. And the shitty video is hilarious in all the best unintentional ways, from the fat chick half-heartedly mouthing the lyrics, to the occasional out of tune note from the guitar, to the almost offensively bland lyrics. At its core it's got a pretty decent synth riff and chord progression that never goes anywhere and gets driven into the ground by two minutes in.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:59 PM, Napoleon said:

These threads that ask for responses that tend to have a linked YouTube video with each post always crash on my phone.

iPhone 14 (Pro Max)…

-SAFARI crashes

-CHROME crashes

Does this happen for other people?

Page 1 of this thread crashed several times and I gave up. Posting this on Page 2 because it is still early and isn’t crashing my phone. 

Maybe posting videos behind 

Reveal hidden contents

👆SPOILER folders would be a good idea. 

hey, ain't my fault you're a poor 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, squib said:

Oddly enough, this song is eerily similar to The Best Yoko Ono Ever. 

OMG I'd forgotten about this!

ok, we've found competition for The Shaggs officially. "Made a Beatle unlistenable" absolutely qualifies

If you're an older Millenial/young Gen X, this song will always remind you of how every chick you were after in 1997 was hopelessly in love with Leo.

I remember the chick I was into at the time crying on the school bus when this piece of shit came on the radio, because she was just too overcome with the emotion of poor Jack dying of hypothermia in the north Atlantic.  I guess I probably dodged a bullet there.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/8/2024 at 2:21 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

If you're an older Millenial/young Gen X, this song will always remind you of how every chick you were after in 1997 was hopelessly in love with Leo.

I remember the chick I was into at the time crying on the school bus when this piece of shit came on the radio, because she was just too overcome with the emotion of poor Jack dying of hypothermia in the north Atlantic.  I guess I probably dodged a bullet there.

In her defense Rose was a selfish bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We're naming garbage songs among the top 0.1% that actually became well known.

But the truly garbage songs were the ones from your 8th grade friends' garage band that you had to endure at their "practice" simply because you wanted to see their big-titted older sister and her slutty friends.  Those were some truly awful songs.   

• Hook 'Em 1

We'll she's down at the local Back 40 bar right now, serving Old Milwaukee and hoping you'll stop in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 4:10 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

It mostly killed rock dead, I think? Maybe there is new stuff and I just got old.  It was just shit that was awful and all the listenable music was now rap or pop.

Even pop-punk was better than that stuff. 

IMHO rock got good again when the pop fans abandoned it around 2010 or so.  I worry it’s getting enshittened again by faux badass Country singer’s crossing over.  Hardy’s “Sold Out” is an ironic example.

On 2/8/2024 at 12:36 PM, squib said:

Oddly enough, this song is eerily similar to The Best Yoko Ono Ever. 

Undefeated

On 2/11/2024 at 9:48 AM, ClubWhatever said:

Yellow Submarine is garbage.   We all live in a yellow submarine?  I mean what the fuck is that shit?

"The Beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a couple of tunes." 

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:23 PM, hookem48 said:

These threads always turn into songs you don't like, not Terrible, abhorrent, garbage songs. All genres

Now I give you Terrible, abhorrent, garbage songs. All genres

Mickey may have been fine, but Toni Basil was not. 

Posted (edited)

I got stuck in some Oklahoma town in some nearly abandoned chain restaurant in a booth getting ear raped by this.

What is this song about? It's virtually about nothing. "Honey, I shrunk random things and phrases that richocheted through my skull and now we're rich!"

"Don't worry, Sugar Britches. There's a carnie chasing the kids in the video for the wholesome family Heartland appeal"

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand