San Diego @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

I have not looked this up, but haven’t Pierce’s teams looked like crap early every season?

pretty much, but that won’t prevent us from over reacting. Texas is finishing last in the big12 until they’re not. You know the deal

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

I have not looked this up, but haven’t Pierce’s teams looked like crap early every season?

2017- Started 2-2

2018- Started 2-1

2019- Started 2-1

2020- Started 3-0

2021- Started 0-3

2022- Started 3-0

2023- Started 0-3

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s the same conditions for both teams so I don’t want it to come across as an excuse, but it’s tough to judge a lot of early season games the first week or two where it’s 34 degrees with the wind blowing 20 miles per hour in from left field.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s the same conditions for both teams so I don’t want it to come across as an excuse, but it’s tough to judge a lot of early season games the first week or two where it’s 34 degrees with the wind blowing 20 miles per hour in from left field.

Eh. It's still just 45.

It's not THAT cold out there. The Texas guys should have been working out in cold weather.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

QFT.  

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Picked 2nd in their conference, the WCC. Pretty respectable league on the West Coast.

18 minutes ago, B00M said:

pretty much, but that won’t prevent us from over reacting. Texas is finishing last in the big12 until they’re not. You know the deal

Yeah we always start off like 11-10 then finish the year like 35-18 or whatever 

Edited by Fletch

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Christ.  Are we already fuckinging up on the basepaths again?  

Live, it looked like the ball into the gap might’ve short hopped their LF. He caught it and threw into 1B while our baserunner retreated back around 2B. The batter thought he might’ve had a hit so he was standing on 1B. Our baserunner saw 1B was occupied and hesitated, confused. He’s probably not doubled off to end the game if he just pop-up slides directly into 1st. It was definitely an unusual scenario on the bases but it’s game 2 with a lot of new starters so we’re basically guaranteed to have base running growing pains.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

This. A team from San Diego definitely has more exposure to that kind of weather than a team from Texas. Oh wait..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This. A team from San Diego definitely has more exposure to that kind of weather than a team from Texas. Oh wait..

Californians don’t like to hit homers. They prefer defense and pitching so crappy weather plays into their game.

And the proof of that. In 2023, Texas 91 homers, Tordorors or whatever 54. So there.

6 hours ago, B00M said:

Live, it looked like the ball into the gap might’ve short hopped their LF. He caught it and threw into 1B while our baserunner retreated back around 2B. The batter thought he might’ve had a hit so he was standing on 1B. Our baserunner saw 1B was occupied and hesitated, confused. He’s probably not doubled off to end the game if he just pop-up slides directly into 1st. It was definitely an unusual scenario on the bases but it’s game 2 with a lot of new starters so we’re basically guaranteed to have base running growing pains.  

Keith and Greg both seemed to indicate on the broadcast that umpire didnt make a safe/out call for a catch/short hop.   

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'll be an optimist here. Pitching looks better than I thought it would. Bats need to wake up but that's pretty on par with this program in February. 

We’ve seen 10 arms so far and honestly the dude who looked the worse was Whitehead. No idea what was going on with him yesterday but he was throwing like 85.

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We’ve seen 10 arms so far and honestly the dude who looked the worse was Whitehead. No idea what was going on with him yesterday but he was throwing like 85.

He’s always thrown 85. He’s just been mildly sucessful because he was one of the only ones who could throw strikes semi-regularly. 

Edited by EZ$
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'll be an optimist here. Pitching looks better than I thought it would. Bats need to wake up but that's pretty on par with this program in February. 

Bullpen has looked pretty good imo. Everyone who’s pitched outta the pen this weekend has shown some good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Witt looking decently good today would go a long way for my confidence of the overall pitching prowess.

As said, the bats need to wake up. However, half the batting order is comprised of inexperienced hitters at the college level. So, there’s going to be an adjustment period. 

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Trainer accompanied Pierce to the mound in the 9th.   May be an issue or gamemanship to avoid being charged with a visit.   Likely the former.   He was pulled after the batter and the next batter was a LH.

10 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Witt looking decently good today would go a long way for my confidence of the overall pitching prowess.

As said, the bats need to wake up. However, half the batting order is comprised of inexperienced hitters at the college level. So, there’s going to be an adjustment period. 

Bats usually take a little bit to heat up. The fact we haven’t really gotten any meaningful contribution from Porter Brown yet lowers my overall concern because we know he will figure it out.

Our best overall hitters (Thomas, Powell, Brown) are all lefties so it will be interesting to see the lineup construction once we start facing lefty starters.