Texas Primaries

31 minutes ago, miguelito said:

The number of oak leaves on my 3 acres pales in comparison to the number of mailers I've received this primary season.  I'm glad it's almost over.

You're in Boerne, right? So Troxclair vs. "What Slaton did was not that bad"?

22 hours ago, Skipper said:

Anybody got a link to a cheat sheet for less batshit crazy republicans?  I'm an independent that will be voting D in the fall (outside of some local races in Dallas) but not following any of this closely outside of obvious vote for Haley to the extent I vote tomorrow.

I googled "Ken Paxton primary endorsements" and just voted the opposite lol. I'm not joking.

21 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Depending on where you live tomorrow is potentially the de facto general election. That's probably the biggest one.

Lawyers/Houston folks - any particular judicial recommendations to sell me on for judicial seats in the Democratic primary? There are so many in Harris County and it can be hard to find good information. 

I was a juror in Kyle Carter's court (125th) a few years back. He was very professional and seemed to run a nice tight ship from what I could tell. Also had an Earl Campbell Texas jersey hanging in his office. Not sure why he attracted primary challengers. That's all I got on judicial races.

• Hook 'Em 5

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yep.  Every day we get multiple fliers, sometimes duplicates for the same candidate.  At least Troxy is easy on the eyes.

Remember this Super Tuesday when you’re trying to keep score of whether Paxtons guys, Abbots guys, or Phelan supporters come out on top, that Mississippi is going to pass Medicaid expansion with a full R state legislature by veto proof majorities, helping everyone in the state, and we’re just twiddling our thumbs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

Okay.....so in the various state house races, which are the GQP races that we should watch to see if the nutbar Paxton/MAGA challengers take out incumbents?  I know to watch Dade Phelan's race, but which others should I be watching?

Also, I'll be watching the three TX Ct of Criminal Appeals races to see how the incumbents do because Paxton is made at them for following the law.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Kim Ogg playing games in Houston.  I wouldn't doubt this wasn't done deliberately,

Also, Hanlon's Razor applies here: “never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”  This was surely a multi-part fuckup, by the election folks and Ogg's partner.  Not sure how it happened, as the ID should reflect the actual voter, but if the voter picked up the wrong voter registration card from the house, showed an ID that matched their face, but what was scanned was the voter ID card, that could happen.  Even the simplest of systems can harbor a fuckup.

Okay.....so in the various state house races, which are the GQP races that we should watch to see if the nutbar Paxton/MAGA challengers take out incumbents?  I know to watch Dade Phelan's race, but which others should I be watching?

Also, I'll be watching the three TX Ct of Criminal Appeals races to see how the incumbents do because Paxton is made at them for following the law.

So do I have your endorsement to vote for Dade?

Just now, BearSchlong said:

So do I have your endorsement to vote for Dade?

150%

He's still GOP, but a Repub is gonna win that district, and having Dade as speaker is really our last bastion of defense against this state being a 100% fascist shithole.  I'll take the 15% bulwark of defense he's provided so far.  It's something, at least.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A few to watch when it comes to Abbott's vouchers:

Phelan versus Covey

Bailes vs. Missick

Lambert vs. Case

Vandeaver vs. Huls/Spencer

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

150%

He's still GOP, but a Repub is gonna win that district, and having Dade as speaker is really our last bastion of defense against this state being a 100% fascist shithole.  I'll take the 15% bulwark of defense he's provided so far.  It's something, at least.

Lol. I find myself pulling for Phelan too, but then I realize that SB4 is on his watch. Heartbeat bill. Open carry. Not bringing raise the age to the floor for a vote.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. I find myself pulling for Phelan too, but then I realize that SB4 is on his watch. Heartbeat bill. Open carry. Not bringing raise the age to the floor for a vote.

Yep.

Look, when it comes to selecting statewide leadership, your choice is between what type of shit sandwich you eat, not IF you eat a shit sandwich.  I'll take the one filled with a firm, unremarkable turd, as opposed to the putrid, runny sludge that is the rest of the GOP.  That's it.  That's our choice.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Kim Ogg playing games in Houston.  I wouldn't doubt this wasn't done deliberately,

she’s going to request the state take over harris county voting 

• Rage+1 2

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's a good chart of who is endorsing whom.  These two Republicans endorsed in dozens of Texas House races. One put his money where his mouth is. | KUT Radio, Austin's NPR Station

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, Hanlon's Razor applies here: “never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”  This was surely a multi-part fuckup, by the election folks and Ogg's partner.  Not sure how it happened, as the ID should reflect the actual voter, but if the voter picked up the wrong voter registration card from the house, showed an ID that matched their face, but what was scanned was the voter ID card, that could happen.  Even the simplest of systems can harbor a fuckup.

True, but something doesn't ring true with that.  Her partner is Olivia Jordan, and looks somewhat similar to Ogg.   image.thumb.png.d8d4606d0fb122e5ce4aeeb6dfcc11b9.png

Your voter ID card is no longer used for identification purposes for voting.  It continues to play a role in advising someone that they are still registered, and what precincts and districts they are in.   They also serve the County Election Administration when they are sent back and undeliverable at that address.  That is the main way voters are put on suspension and eventually cleared from the rolls.

Texas Driver's licenses are used to verify the voter now, or another form of ID, which is pretty limited.  ( https://www.votetexas.gov/docs/sos-voter-ed-8-5x11-eng.pdf)   They use it mainly for facial identification, and the address on your DL doesn't come into play.  So Jordan would have had to actually use Ogg's photo ID to vote as her. She does look a bit like her, and then also sign off on the fact that she was indeed Kim Ogg.    I would imagine the poll book would have proof of what ID was used.  

Why did ogg’s wife / partner vote with ogg’s id ?

That’s a felony for in Texas, whether it was an ‘accident’ (it wasn’t an accident) or intentional (all of this)

there’s a joke here a about lesbians looking alike 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh, he's a piece of shit alright as @Brisketexan so eloquently put it. But he's running against worse than that.

150%

Voted during lunch and chatted with his sign waver who is my wife’s step-brother, he made a fortune working for James Street.

Was a little surreal seeing Jack Brook’s daughter on the R primary ballot for county tax assessor. Her dad (D) was chairman of the House Judiciary Committee that impeached Nixon.

On the same price of grass where I waved signs for my “Uncle,” Mark Stiles.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yes, I get the choice of Troxclair holding Abbotts water but voting to impeach Paxton vs a real shitstain. One of her supporters was at the polling place and waved a sign yelling vote for Ellen.  I said "sure but she needs to change her mind on vouchers because tax dollars should not go to private schools"  The supporter started an argument with me over the policy even though I said I was voting for her candidate.  SMH

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Yes, I get the choice of Troxclair holding Abbotts water but voting to impeach Paxton vs a real shitstain. One of her supporters was at the polling place and waved a sign yelling vote for Ellen.  I said "sure but she needs to change her mind on vouchers because tax dollars should not go to private schools"  The supporter started an argument with me over the policy even though I said I was voting for her candidate.  SMH

And I'd bet anything just over one year ago they hadn't even thought about school vouchers.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

And I'd bet anything just over one year ago they hadn't even thought about school vouchers.

She gave off the parochial school mom vibe and wants a subsidy for her decision to private school.  I said we already have school choice, just don't pay for it with tax dollars.  and then I waled away.

Edited by TexasEd

Question -- I've heard for a few years now how renewing your license is a complete hassle, but it seems like it's usually the case in cities (on Reddit, people often suggest driving an hour out of town to get an appointment).

Is there something nefarious here give that you need ID to vote? Or is this impacting people equally?

25 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Voted during lunch and chatted with his sign waver who is my wife’s step-brother, he made a fortune working for James Street.

Was a little surreal seeing Jack Brook’s daughter on the R primary ballot for county tax assessor. Her dad (D) was chairman of the House Judiciary Committee that impeached Nixon.

On the same price of grass where I waved signs for my “Uncle,” Mark Stiles.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9520n785xrzbmvj45uxqsi

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Question -- I've heard for a few years now how renewing your license is a complete hassle, but it seems like it's usually the case in cities (on Reddit, people often suggest driving an hour out of town to get an appointment).

Is there something nefarious here give that you need ID to vote? Or is this impacting people equally?

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Totally anecdotal but y’all would be proud.  Was on campus just now.  Line to vote at SRH was substantial and line at fAC was wrapped around the building.  We’re still fucked for the short term but these young people weren’t even looking at their phones.  They were chatting with one another about the issues and candidates.  Onward thru the fog…

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think the TDL hassle is partly driven by the immigration red herrings.  But in the past there has been reason to suspect that either by plan or glitch DPS was not getting the updated data into the county clerks in a timely manner, if ever.    

7 hours ago, miguelito said:

The number of oak leaves on my 3 acres pales in comparison to the number of mailers I've received this primary season.  I'm glad it's almost over.

Trigger warning that shit.

As a San Antonio metro resident who’s spent an ungodly amount of time myself AND significant money to the yard guys as well to collect leaves for the last 3 weeks and haul them off, I just can’t.

Two whole truckloads (bed + trailers) in addition to my own efforts that resulted in 12 bags of mulched (I have one of those Worx leave vacuum / blowers) leaves.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but maybe having an inch worm apocalypse that consumed all my live oak leaves back in 2021 wasn’t all that bad?

A real dick punch vs kick to the head choice if you ask me.

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Let’s say a strategic-minded leftist is considering voting for Haley in the primary. Which other R candidates in TX / Travis County would be worth an anti-MAGA protest vote?

please vote for the CCA judges who dared to cross Paxton (i.e., followed the law): Keller, Hervey, Slaughter      (sigh)

• Rage+1 1

Just voted at the Leander public library. Something that struck me as a little odd...they had a separate line for the Democratic and Republican primary. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of it, but in a time where you've got to be more conscious of your surroundings in public it rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. I guess the bright side was the R line looked to be about 45 minutes long and the D line only had 3 people in it when I walked up. I was in and out in about 5 minutes. Lots of blue hairs in the R primary line. There was even a van from a retirement home in the parking lot, which I didn't think was allowed anymore? 

*To clarify, once you checked in everyone used the same pool of machines. There were drop boxes for each party, but a common pool of machines. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I guess the bright side was the R line looked to be about 45 minutes long and the D line only had 3 people in it when I walked up.

Yeah that’s a real ray of fucking sunshine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Just voted at the Leander public library. Something that struck me as a little odd...they had a separate line for the Democratic and Republican primary. Normally I wouldn't have thought much of it, but in a time where you've got to be more conscious of your surroundings in public it rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. I guess the bright side was the R line looked to be about 45 minutes long and the D line only had 3 people in it when I walked up. I was in and out in about 5 minutes. Lots of blue hairs in the R primary line. There was even a van from a retirement home in the parking lot, which I didn't think was allowed anymore? 

*To clarify, once you checked in everyone used the same pool of machines. There were drop boxes for each party, but a common pool of machines. 

At a library in SW Austin, they asked which primary you were voting in when you walked up. Me: "I'm voting against someone. Bet you can't guess who." 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Yeah that’s a real ray of fucking sunshine. 

In that location it's not super surprising. It's one of the redder precincts of Williamson County that includes TX31 (R+15) and HD52 (R+11). It was also the middle of the afternoon, so it skewed heavily retirees. Most young families would have been at work or in the school pickup line at the time I went. 

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

yeah that's not too cool but not sure what's a good way to discretely determine which primary you're voting in, if you have to get the ballot and feed it in the machine. My neighborhood is very lefty as am I generally, but I've voted in the R primary a number of times for obvious reasons. One time voting at my kid's elementary school, I'm in a robust line of people who are presumably neighbors when the poll worker asks me and I say "republican" and the workers ooh'd and aah'd like I was a zoo specimen and one said to another, "we've got one!" 

I was NOT pleased. 

26 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Maybe that was an Election Day thing? I think I had to select mine on the check-in screen when my ID got checked (during early voting)

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In Austin, when I renewed mine, the earliest I could get an appointment was a few months out, or I could camp the website every night or morning and hope to get a slot that came open from a cancellation.  Going out of town made it much easier.

Given that it’s been this way for a while, and who is running the state, I’m going with this being done by design.  

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

yeah that's not too cool but not sure what's a good way to discretely determine which primary you're voting in, if you have to get the ballot and feed it in the machine. My neighborhood is very lefty as am I generally, but I've voted in the R primary a number of times for obvious reasons. One time voting at my kid's elementary school, I'm in a robust line of people who are presumably neighbors when the poll worker asks me and I say "republican" and the workers ooh'd and aah'd like I was a zoo specimen and one said to another, "we've got one!" 

I was NOT pleased. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Maybe that was an Election Day thing? I think I had to select mine on the check-in screen when my ID got checked (during early voting)

That's the thing...I still had to do the iPad check in and select which ballot I wanted and sign off on it. It looked like they had 3-4 people working the R check in table and 2 people working the D table. Seems like you could have had one table with 6 people checking you in, and no one would have known what ballot you pulled until you put it in the tabulation machine/ drop box. 

28 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

please vote for the CCA judges who dared to cross Paxton (i.e., followed the law): Keller, Hervey, Slaughter      (sigh)

Done. Those three and Haley each got 3 votes from our little group of Soros funded commie sympathizers today. I also took the opportunity to cast “No” votes on various jingoistic GOP propositions, such as “Should the Texas Constitution be amended so that it is required to be etched onto police batons for use in beating illegal immigrants?” and “Should the Texas Constitution be amended to require each Mexican citizen to be wrapped in razor wire?” 

All in all, it felt very dirty. But I reminded myself that my ballot is a middle finger to fascists, which may be the best we Texans can do at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I was NOT pleased. 

Happened to me about 10 years ago when I went to vote at an off time and had to say out loud “Republican”.  When I was asked my party affiliation it seems like everyone in the room was perked up to see what I was going to say.  When I said Republican, this old geriatric dude sitting on a bench did a huge fist bump and another old dude nodded like I’ve just done him a big favor. The poll workers talked about how I was the youngest looking repub they have seen all day and that they need to “ get more of these guys”. 

little did they know I was just showing up to ( in vain) vote against Abbott and Paxton. I grew up in a suburb where the kids cars at the local high school were better than the teachers cars.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Your license can be up to 4 years expired in Travis County.