I did not know that... trivial stuff you just learned

locodos

I have travelled a lot in my life, but last week was the first time I had ever seen, or noticed,  a trickle vent in the hotel window sill.  I had 2 windows and kept those sumbeeches open the whole time.  They not only helped air circulation but created some 'white noise' if you will, that helped at night.

ylxqmv2ftg511.jpg?auto=webp&s=71e5c298a1

Last night, my family went to see the Dallas Symphony orchestra and John Williams 'Night at the Movies.' For the E.T. score, apparently after Spielberg gave John the final cut of the movie so he could lay the music over it, John became frustrated because of the various changes through out the editing process and he couldnt get the music to fit with what was happening on screen. Spielberg pulled him aside and said to get the music exactly the way he wanted it and give it to him. Then Spielberg recut the movie to fit John Williams score.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

Is the O Bar still around?

11 hours ago, slorch said:

o yes. The Spoon too if you're going OG places.

I went to both one afternoon back in late December (was visiting for a basketball game), the schooner at O Bar was excellent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

house of cards kate GIF

This little hotties family owns both the Giants and the Steelers.  Kate Mara wood x3.50

Kate & Rooney Mara are the great grand-daughters of both the NY Giants founder Tim Mara and the Pittsburg Steelers founder Art Rooney, Sr.

Rooney, is a little softer on the eyes, Kate has the better rack. 

image.png.8a79bf287c7ed16c4a854aa5825345b0.png

image.thumb.png.cd6ee00743a426c7314a9160e2a1b74a.png

12 hours ago, BearMace said:

NorCal interesting trivial information makes me think of the fact the Tahoe is West of L.A.  Thanks Daniel Tosh. That one has stuck with me for 15 years and won a couple of bar bets. 

When going through the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific, you travel from the Northwest to the Southeast. 

12 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

There may be more captive tigers in Texas than tigers left in the wild.

A wildlife biologist told me there are more Audad in Texas than their native Africa.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Same with Scimitar horned oryx

Years ago a buddy worked as a civlian contractor at White Sands in New Mexico, and we were driving through the missile range on our way to the El Paso airport.  At one point an oryx was standing right at the fence line, staring at us.  He had a big jackrabbit speared on one of his horns.  The look on his face was akin to "need a little help here".

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Years ago a buddy worked as a civlian contractor at White Sands in New Mexico, and we were driving through the missile range on our way to the El Paso airport.  At one point an oryx was standing right at the fence line, staring at us.  He had a big jackrabbit speared on one of his horns.  The look on his face was akin to "need a little help here".

Nope.  Worked years back at an exotics game ranch.  Oryx attack with their heads down (like most) and will spear you with a quickness.  Place had big pipe fences with an "escape" lane underneath that was about 2+ ft high to scoot under if attacked in the main pens.  One guy before me apparently had to be airlifted after a bull elk in the rut charged him, gored him, and punctured a lung and broke a bunch of other shit.  Happened so fast getting over the fence, especially if injured, wasn't an option.  

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, PTINS said:

Kate & Rooney Mara are the great grand-daughters of both the NY Giants founder Tim Mara and the Pittsburg Steelers founder Art Rooney, Sr.

Rooney, is a little softer on the eyes, Kate has the better rack. 

image.png.8a79bf287c7ed16c4a854aa5825345b0.png

image.thumb.png.cd6ee00743a426c7314a9160e2a1b74a.png

When going through the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific, you travel from the Northwest to the Southeast. 

A wildlife biologist told me there are more Audad in Texas than their native Africa.

Texas game ranches are like a life raft to many Asian and African species.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Père David's deer for example

Yep.  And I think Rhinos.

I don't want exotics on our place.  I like native species.  But I am glad other people have them.  And I sure love going to shoot an Axis or Nilgai for the meat.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I sure love going to shoot an Axis or Nilgai for the meat.

Because all the deer in Texas are extinct and HEB is out of beef?

Killing for the sake of killing isn't hunting.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

Well, there's different kinds of meat.  Axis and Nilgai are different than whitetail or beef.  I love Axis -- it's the best venison around.  

So, I mean....killing an animal to eat it is killing an animal to eat it.  Pig, cow, sheep, we kill all of those for a different kind of meat.  Not sure why an Axis or Nilgai should be treated differently.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, there's different kinds of meat.  Axis and Nilgai are different than whitetail or beef.  I love Axis -- it's the best venison around.  

So, I mean....killing an animal to eat it is killing an animal to eat it.  Pig, cow, sheep, we kill all of those for a different kind of meat.  Not sure why an Axis or Nilgai should be treated differently.

It's just not "hunting" to many people.  I get that.  It's "harvesting".  Very few spend the amount it takes to bring in exotics and then NOT fence them in to protect this investment.  At this point I see no distinction between WT's and Axis on "most" Texas ranches that at < 1000 acres.  Both are managed very different than a low-fence operation.  When you get to many thousands of acres, the animals are basically free ranging and hunting takes on a entirely new advantage for the animals.  Most people just don't have the pocketbook for such a setup.  I get that too and don't begrudge anyone making their own little corner or the world a personal paradise.  No different that stocking a tank with fish.  

Edited by BabaYaga

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If it's in the wild, fair game. If it's confined on a ranch it's a canned hunt. I've never felt the need to pay somebody to corral me a target just so I can mark one off the bingo card.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I agree with you. I don't care about "hunting" exotics.  It just has never interested me. Purely meat hunts for me and I really, really like Axis, Red Deer, and Nilgai meat (along with Elk they are my favorite -- I get Elk meat from friends who hunt them out West).  I have shot Axis and Nilgai at night using a Q Beam. So I agree, it is not hunting.  

I harvest/kill exotics for the protein.  I always have a freezer full of axis, elk, red deer, and/or nilgai because I basically eat it for lunch every day either in a stew, pasta sauce with veggies, or chili.  I love the stuff.  And it is much better for my arteries than store bought beef.

And don't get me started on Aoudad.  I have been at hill country places infested with those things. If I owned one of those places, I would rent a helicopter and shoot every single one.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RPM said:

If it's in the wild, fair game. If it's confined on a ranch it's a canned hunt. I've never felt the need to pay somebody to corral me a target just so I can mark one off the bingo card.

Simplistic, but I get the sentiment.  First off, there's almost zero public land in Texas to hunt "in the wild".  If you have the means, you can try and draw out of state tags, book the trip, scout the zone you pulled for, and go from there.

Then there's "how" you hunt.  Hunting in the wild over bait is much, much easier than hunting a high fenced place with "spot & stalk"  Hunting in the wild with a rifle is exponentially easier than hunting a ranch with a bow.  It goes on and on.  

At the end of the day on smaller ranches, sure - you're harvesting meat not readily available to most people.  Even on smaller to mid-sized places, animals can be very hard to locate but do you have an inventory of what's out there minus predation and natural causes.  You also get some of the best meat there is that is self sustaining.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Texas game ranches are like a life raft to many Asian and African species.

Yep.  I know the Fossil Rim center has helped the Scimitar horned Oryx get an actual, viable population back into their natural habitat due to their breeding program.   The game ranches here do a great job of getting those animals back into the wild, but also available to consume locally.  Some of the best meats I've ever eaten are exotic game.  

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

(along with Elk they are my favorite -- I get Elk meat from friends who hunt them out West). 

Oh man an elk burger from a Penelope's Old Time Burgers in Estes Park after a day of hiking RMNP sounds amazing right about now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sorry, wrong.  1 in 250,000 bears do fatally attack someone.  But almost all bears COULD fatally attack someone.  And yes, 1 in 16,000 humans will commit homicide.  But only 1 in 60,000,000 humans will murder a bear.  

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

The iconic rock song, “Hey man, nice shot,” was written about Budd Dwyer.  Dude committed suicide on live TV.  (You can probably find it on YouTube.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

IMG_1845.png

Yeah my friend in college showed me that video. I really wish I hadn’t seen it. I was also taking a suicidology course at the time, so my head was already in a weird place. No one should watch that. 

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Sorry, wrong.  1 in 250,000 bears do fatally attack someone.  But almost all bears COULD fatally attack someone.  And yes, 1 in 16,000 humans will commit homicide.  But only 1 in 60,000,000 humans will murder a bear.  

image.gif.abfe3853924d6434355568f7a1030a91.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

be95d6476f96a11b_vHyESu5.gif

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

one in 250K bears could fatally attack someone, whereas one in 16K humans will commit murder

Was talking about this a friend the other day.  I’m an outdoorsman so I’m fine with thinking the herd of hogs and deer.  And he said he always wanted to hunt a bear.  And I said that’s not cool with me but I know people do it.  And he said “but what if it’s like the other game we’re talking about, what if there’s too many and you need to thin the herd to live comfortably?”

if you’re living in a place that has ‘too many bears’, that’s not the bear’s problem.  That’s a you’re a fucking idiot problem.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Was talking about this a friend the other day.  I’m an outdoorsman so I’m fine with thinking the herd of hogs and deer.  And he said he always wanted to hunt a bear.  And I said that’s not cool with me but I know people do it.  And he said “but what if it’s like the other game we’re talking about, what if there’s too many and you need to thin the herd to live comfortably?”

if you’re living in a place that has ‘too many bears’, that’s not the bear’s problem.  That’s a you’re a fucking idiot problem.  

Agreed!  Case in point Florida is about to pass Stand Your Ground legislation , but for bears!

https://news.wgcu.org/government-politics/2024-01-10/senators-approve-proposal-on-shooting-bears-in-florida

TALLAHASSEE --- People would be allowed to kill bears on their property without permits if they feel threatened but would face more rules about reporting the incidents, under a proposal that received an initial approval Wednesday in the Florida Senate.

While opponents called instead for better managing trash in rural counties where interactions between bears and humans have reportedly increased, the Republican-dominated Environment and Natural Resources Committee voted 5-2 along party lines to support the bill (SB 632).

Bill sponsor Corey Simon, R-Tallahassee, said the proposal isn’t about bear hunting — long a controversial issue in Florida — but self-defense.

3 minutes ago, locodos said:

Agreed!  Case in point Florida is about to pass Stand Your Ground legislation , but for bears!

https://news.wgcu.org/government-politics/2024-01-10/senators-approve-proposal-on-shooting-bears-in-florida

There are already stringent rules for predation and livestock.   VERY stringent rules that are treated as most LEO's would treat a homicide in many states.  Detectives.  Forensics.  The works.  This is a loosening of such rules that basically doesn't force you to wait until you or your livestock are being attacked to respond.  

@mooseoutfront can probably better speak to this in AK, but from what I have read, it's taken with the utmost seriousness when a bear/wolf is taken with no tags.

Obviously if it’s in self defense, do what you gotta do.  He was talking about game hunting.  And yeah, as the article points out—-people in rural Florida leave all kinds of shit outside at night which attract bears like food, coolers, toddlers, Pontiacs, etc.  if they’d wise up and clean up, bears wouldn’t come around.  

before the Wyoming away game years ago, we were deep country camping at RMNP.  About four hours in from the ranger station and car.  About a 3/4 moon.  We did our zero trace duty with our food.  But in the middle of the night, saw a silhouette of the biggest bear I’ve ever seen in my life.  About ten yards away and stands straight up and grumbles.  .  That’s about it for me for this lifetime and the next.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Da' Barez move.  If you are a rancher, logger, etc. your profession overlaps with many areas that have higher and higher numbers of bears.  They figure out fat, slow cattle are easier prey than a bull elk, you have problems.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

There are already stringent rules for predation and livestock.   VERY stringent rules that are treated as most LEO's would treat a homicide in many states.  Detectives.  Forensics.  The works.  This is a loosening of such rules that basically doesn't force you to wait until you or your livestock are being attacked to respond.  

@mooseoutfront can probably better speak to this in AK, but from what I have read, it's taken with the utmost seriousness when a bear/wolf is taken with no tags.

Yes, I know.  This Florida law will change that in Florida.  BTW Florida black bears have NEVER killed a person.  They're basically like chonky Labradors.  

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Obviously if it’s in self defense, do what you gotta do.  He was talking about game hunting.  And yeah, as the article points out—-people in rural Florida leave all kinds of shit outside at night which attract bears like food, coolers, toddlers, Pontiacs, etc.  if they’d wise up and clean up, bears wouldn’t come around.  

before the Wyoming away game years ago, we were deep country camping at RMNP.  About four hours in from the ranger station and car.  About a 3/4 moon.  We did our zero trace duty with our food.  But in the middle of the night, saw a silhouette of the biggest bear I’ve ever seen in my life.  About ten yards away and stands straight up and grumbles.  .  That’s about it for me for this lifetime and the next.  

This part of the story is hilarous

There are “not hundreds of bears, but thousands of bears that live in my community,” Smith told the committee. “They walk up and down our streets. They go to the beach.

"Beach" bears are the best bears.

Back on point, a bears nose is many times stronger than a bloodhound.  If you grill outside, they're coming.  If you have trash cans outside, they're coming.  I honestly don't know what the solution would be with thousands of these fur-tanks doing what they please.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Da' Barez move.  If you are a rancher, logger, etc. your profession overlaps with many areas that have higher and higher numbers of bears.  They figure out fat, slow cattle are easier prey than a bull elk, you have problems.

Well that's why the FWC will come out and trap them and relocate them for free.

What’s at work here, is that lawmakers want to circumvent the constitutionally-granted authority of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) to manage and set rules governing the state’s fragile black bear population.

The FWC doesn’t kill nuisance bears. It relocates them.

As real estate development into natural areas expands the human footprint in the state, bear habitats have shrunk and human-bear interactions have soared. 

The FWC has promoted bear straps on garbage bins, and the removal of outdoor food sources on the properties of people living on the edges of bear habitats. 

The agency encourages homeowners to call a hotline so problem bears can be trapped and taken away from humans.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

This part of the story is hilarous

"Beach" bears are the best bears.

Back on point, a bears nose is many times stronger than a bloodhound.  If you grill outside, they're coming.  If you have trash cans outside, they're coming.  I honestly don't know what the solution would be with thousands of these fur-tanks doing what they please.  

I spent a few years in Florida and a lotta time at the beach.  Never saw a bear there but these were crowded beaches.  But I’m picturing a Florida Bear racing down New Smyrna sand in his lifted truck and getting out with a sixer of keystone light to smash ass and get gash

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3