People keep moving to Texas, mostly

19 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I'm in Denver. I work with guys that have bought Post Oak for big group lunches. The guys from Texas, or that have lived in Texas, loved it. The natives generally hated it. Fucking weirdos. You're right about the complete lack of Tex Mex. Green chili sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

and they like to put that shit on everything 

My sister lives in Denver, so we've been going up there about once a year since the early 90s. And, yeah, the Mexican food is lacking. It seems theirs came from New Mexico (hence the green chilis) rather than Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2024 at 8:55 AM, closetohumping said:

We also don’t have huge bars where you can sit outside and listen to live music like the Backyard or Cibolo brewing.

I’m guess the trade off is that in California you can actually sit outside all year round.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/15/2024 at 9:53 AM, UTPhil2006 said:

Maybe I need to market mortgages in other states and rural areas first 

Bro. Don't make this difficult.

Where are the $500k houses and $350k THs being built? Find out what the builder lender program looks like. Figure out how to beat it.

Pay a kid to deliver flyers to all the people who got spanked by the builder's lender (all of them) and present an offer to refi them and/or give them a referral bonus for their friends and neighbors. 

You could also place an ad somewhere (billboard, radio, Facebook?)

You can still wait on the rest of these goofs to buy in the GOOF.

Mortgage sales is a numbers have for sure. Get numbers.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Yesterday I woke up and walked to the corner dispensary and legally purchased some marijuana to smoke while I hiked in the Hills. After that I picked up some lunch for my gf and I then walked down to the beach until the sun went down. At night we went to a goth rave. LA has everything 

Im not a "9 figure type" and I've never in my life taken a cent of government assistance. 

Texas is cool if you want to raise kids and watch them play youth sports

Dammit... I said this to someone in California (or maybe Colorado) recently.

Texas is mostly about suburbs, kids schools and sports, and eating and drinking.

If you choose to live on the city, the schools and youth sports influence decreases and the food and drink influence increases. Outdoors means walking or cycling on a flat path. The beach is not usually close, so it's a day or weekend trip.

Property taxes are high, but values are lower (but increasing). Income taxes are none. F gasoline taxes in California.

Houston is the cheapest large (soon to be mega) city in the world. DFW is a giant suburb. Austin is the closest thing to looking and living like California. San Antonio and Austin will eventually combine into a giant california-like metropolis... With summer highs like Phoenix, but humid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I have people ask me regularly if I will ever move back to Texas once they find out I grew up there. I have the same one word answer for everyone. No. I likely will never set foot in the state again for more than a day or to have to catch a connecting flight and I’m cool with that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2024 at 5:09 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

I'm in Denver. I work with guys that have bought Post Oak for big group lunches. The guys from Texas, or that have lived in Texas, loved it. The natives generally hated it. Fucking weirdos. You're right about the complete lack of Tex Mex. Green chili sucks. 

Seafood, Mexican food, and BBQ is a tough ask in Denver. Everything else can be had. 

The best sushi place I’ve found is in Littleton. 

Brewery Bar II is a good hole in the wall for Tex Mex. La Loma was good at the original location but seems to have lost a step after it moved. 

Yazoo’s is the best BBQ I’ve had in the city. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:25 PM, Smax said:

I moved to California and when I mention I'm from Texas the conversation comes up and that's what most say, "Oh so and so moved to Texas to get out of this Democrat state" I've had 2 neighbors move to Texas both are republicans, "Tired of Newsom taking away our freedoms.." So just anecdotal but we've been hearing about California to Texas flight for 20+ years and how its going to turn Texas blue. 

How's that going?

Anecdotal as well but I know 5 couples here in Dallas that moved from Cali or Seattle. All doing very well. All complained about Cali/Seattle politics. All love it here. I imagine Austin gets a different crop of people. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Slacks said:

Houston is the cheapest large (soon to be mega) city in the world. DFW is a giant suburb.

They’re the same city with a manufactured rivalry. I’ve lived in them both. Dallas has plenty of “city” features to it, and FW is distinct from D.  I’m knee deep in high school and middle school sports, and while I live here, I travel to suburbs all the fucking time for those activities, oftentimes multiple ones in the same day, so I understand the characterization. But in baseball, while we play all over the place, so do Houstonians, and we very often play in the same venues. 

It’s a beating but Dallas area (not FW), Houston and Austin have by far the best serious youth programs. FW and SA lag way behind. 

Edit to add that I love Houston, and agree that Texas has superior food to Cali and far superior to Denver. Houston is up there with NO and NYC food towns. Dallas lags. Austin is really good, and Dallas is getting better. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 12:47 AM, closetohumping said:

Bbq is the big difference. Duh.  I give California the edge on Asian and seafood but not big enough to overcome no bbq.  There’s some great Mexican food here but I miss greasy enchiladas 

It took me a long while to adjust to Cali-Mex. It’s not bad, but misses by a mile if you’re looking to quickly clog your arteries.

@closetohumping There’s a place in Costa Mesa that’s supposed to be pretty good. I haven’t tried it yet, but will probably bring my son to stand in line with me after we get back from spring break. 

https://www.facebook.com/JW-HAYES-BBQ-100068354832798/?wtsid=rdr_0iTSqflCGxLgZuczq

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Superhero said:

It took me a long while to adjust to Cali-Mex. It’s not bad, but misses by a mile if you’re looking to quickly clog your arteries.

@closetohumping There’s a place in Costa Mesa that’s supposed to be pretty good. I haven’t tried it yet, but will probably bring my son to stand in line with me after we get back from spring break. 

https://www.facebook.com/JW-HAYES-BBQ-100068354832798/?wtsid=rdr_0iTSqflCGxLgZuczq

I like this place. 
http://Tacosloscholos.net

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

They’re the same city with a manufactured rivalry. I’ve lived in them both. Dallas has plenty of “city” features to it, and FW is distinct from D.  I’m knee deep in high school and middle school sports, and while I live here, I travel to suburbs all the fucking time for those activities, oftentimes multiple ones in the same day, so I understand the characterization. But in baseball, while we play all over the place, so do Houstonians, and we very often play in the same venues. 

It’s a beating but Dallas area (not FW), Houston and Austin have by far the best serious youth programs. FW and SA lag way behind. 

Edit to add that I love Houston, and agree that Texas has superior food to Cali and far superior to Denver. Houston is up there with NO and NYC food towns. Dallas lags. Austin is really good, and Dallas is getting better. 

Every big metropolitan area (with a handful of downtown exceptions) in the country is barely differentiated from any other.  All large population centers are choked with urban sprawl, retail chains and freeways.  It's pathetic and depressing. 

7 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Anecdotal as well but I know 5 couples here in Dallas that moved from Cali or Seattle. All doing very well. All complained about Cali/Seattle politics. All love it here. I imagine Austin gets a different crop of people. 

And to each their own.  When my Texas buddies see how small my house is in California, I take them on a drive to Newport or laguna and say “this is my backyard”.  

definitely understand wanting a bigger home or God forbid not getting taxed to Bolivia but it’s whatever works for you

Just now, Superhero said:

This will be me after eating there.

image.png.c7082f797de7ce1458c11b6ec3686ded.png

Yes

36 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Every big metropolitan area (with a handful of downtown exceptions) in the country is barely differentiated from any other.  All large population centers are choked with urban sprawl, retail chains and freeways.  It's pathetic and depressing. 

With the exception of NYC, San Francisco, Chicago (outside Chicagoland), and part of NO, I agree. That was my point.

And I disagree it’s pathetic even though I’ve always lived in a city proper. It’s totally logical. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

And to each their own.  When my Texas buddies see how small my house is in California, I take them on a drive to Newport or laguna and say “this is my backyard”.  

definitely understand wanting a bigger home or God forbid not getting taxed to Bolivia but it’s whatever works for you

Yes

I am sure you enjoy that two hour, 5 mile drive.

I know the stereotype is we are full of drug gangs and people fleeing to Austin to escape liberal governments but it seems to me a huge proportion of our population growth comes from Asia. So many Indians in Texas now, at least in central Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know the stereotype is we are full of drug gangs and people fleeing to Austin to escape liberal governments but it seems to me a huge proportion of our population growth comes from Asia. So many Indians in Texas now, at least in central Texas.

"Frisco is more Indian than India" - my Indian friend in Frisco.

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

So, Texas' big allure at this point is....youth sports?

I think, generally and overall, the big draw is "Family", of which of course youth sports is one lever. My opinion, take it or leave it:

I think people moving to Texas are "Family friendly" as it was normalized and considered in the 80's and 90's.

"Family friendly" as in, looking for good, clean suburbs, not a lot of poor or homeless or drug addled/mentally ill people on the streets, better school districts in the suburbs, culture of religiosity, more conservative (cisgendered, heteronormative, 2.5 kids and white picket fence aesthetic ideal, etc.) and above average income for average intellect/skills/ability.

That's good or bad depending on what you want out of life, but that's the draw for a lot of people who are in the season of life where they have kid(s) 0-18 and have hung up their main identities and passions to focus on their families, and generally aren't as passionate about changing the world or continuing their hobby horses as those who have families but want to remain in a city proper.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I think, generally and overall, the big draw is "Family", of which of course youth sports is one lever. My opinion, take it or leave it:

I think people moving to Texas are "Family friendly" as it was normalized and considered in the 80's and 90's.

"Family friendly" as in, looking for good, clean suburbs, not a lot of poor or homeless or drug addled/mentally ill people on the streets, better school districts in the suburbs, culture of religiosity, more conservative (cisgendered, heteronormative, 2.5 kids and white picket fence aesthetic ideal, etc.) and above average income for average intellect/skills/ability.

That's good or bad depending on what you want out of life, but that's the draw for a lot of people who are in the season of life where they have kid(s) 0-18 and have hung up their main identities and passions to focus on their families, and generally aren't as passionate about changing the world or continuing their hobby horses as those who have families but want to remain in a city proper.

I agree with a lot of this, but there are many neighborhoods city proper adjacent (3-10 miles from downtown) in Dallas, Houston and Austin that are within very short distance to restaurants/nightlife/cool parts of town that have excellent schools and sports for kids. I wouldn’t consider these suburbs. 

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Having lived in both Houston and NYC, I can tell you that Houston being mentioned as up there with NYC as a food town is a complete and utter lie.  

1. NYC by a longshot, and that’s saying something because the steak places are way behind Houston, and the Tex-Mex is nonexistent.

2a. Houston

2b. New Orleans

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

With the exception of NYC, San Francisco, Chicago (outside Chicagoland), and part of NO, I agree. That was my point.

Eh, not sure about that. Metropolitan areas include suburbs, and while the suburbs in these areas are more on the old small towns-engulfed-by-growth side of the spectrum, they are still for the most part very much suburbs. 

Since this has turned into a TX vs CA thread: we’ve always felt that if we couldn’t live in San Francisco proper we’d just move back to Texas or New Orleans. With a few exceptions, the S.F. and SJ metro areas are suburban strip mall sprawl, and often with weather nearly as bad as Texas. NIMBYism has driven homeownership away from the middle class and Prop 13 has starved municipalities of funds to support education and infrastructure. I can’t blame folks wanting to raise kids in decent suburbs with public schools for simply opting for an analogue in Circle C or Plano or wherever. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

But not as mostly to austin anymore:

Once America’s Hottest Housing Market, Austin Is Running in Reverse

https://www.wsj.com/economy/housing/once-americas-hottest-housing-market-austin-is-running-in-reverse-94226027?reflink=integratedwebview_share

I may not have the best timing in a lot of things but seeing my house in May 2022 may be my luckiest timing ever.  I think the guy who bought it is 20 percent underwater right now.  I just had a feeling of “no fucking way is this market real now” , and we got multiple bids way over asking.  Just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4

"Frisco is more Indian than India" - my Indian friend in Frisco.

And the home of a huge Hindu Nationalist organization.

“IMPACT: The Global Hindu Heritage Foundation (GHHF) is a Frisco, Texas-based Hindu non-profit organization. GHHF supports Hindu nationalist ideology and regularly publishes discriminatory, inflammatory, and intolerant content about Islam and Christianity. The group promotes anti-Muslim conspiracy theories, has raised funds to aid the demolition of Churches in India, and supports the Hindu nationalist mission of making India a Hindu-only nation”

https://bridge.georgetown.edu/research/factsheet-global-hindu-heritage-foundation/
  • Hook 'Em 1

I agree with a lot of this, but there are many neighborhoods city proper adjacent (3-10 miles from downtown) in Dallas, Houston and Austin that are within very short distance to restaurants/nightlife/cool parts of town that have excellent schools and sports for kids. I wouldn’t consider these suburbs. 

WHERE you live in a city can make a huge difference in the quality of your experience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

And they are very expensive. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And they are very expensive. 

Not all. Lake Highlands isn’t expensive. I am sure there are comparable areas in Houston like Briargrove, or even Tanglewood or West U. I’m less familiar with Austin neighborhoods as I left in ‘96 and haven’t returned. 

28 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Eh, not sure about that. Metropolitan areas include suburbs, and while the suburbs in these areas are more on the old small towns-engulfed-by-growth side of the spectrum, they are still for the most part very much suburbs. 

Ok?  Doesn’t mean those 4 aren’t true “cities” whereas every other city in the union really isn’t. 

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yea it fucking sucks and I’m tired of mfers telling me about authentic Mexican shit. Bitch I’ve lived in Monterrey and Guadalajara suck my nuts on authentic, good food is good shit good is shit. Sorry kind of airport bar tipsy and my Uber driver to LAX this morning wouldn’t shut up about the Mexican food here vs Texas. 
Also on COL and other shit has some wild claims here, not surly top 50% but 130k in little elm was boring, meh and shitty compared to 160k in LA (okay Monterrey Park) but close. Yea I’m not on the coast but close to it. Don’t listen to the morons and try it out if you can I regret nothing

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Not all. Lake Highlands isn’t expensive. I am sure there are comparable areas in Houston like Briargrove, or even Tanglewood or West U. I’m less familiar with Austin neighborhoods as I left in ‘96 and haven’t returned. 

Lake highlands as in Richardson?

By that description I was thinking more like Preston hollow, or the heights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Ok?  Doesn’t mean those 4 aren’t true “cities” whereas every other city in the union really isn’t. 

I suppose I misread your post, but I was simply pointing out that VHCOL cities have generic suburbs too, and these burbs are increasingly the only hope for homeownership for families without generational wealth or a liquidity event. Consequently, many choose to move. Hence, the subject of this thread. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

39 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Lake Highlands is RISD but in Dallas. The HS is between Walnut and Royal.  

Lol. Tanglewood and West U and Briargrove are up there as the most expensive neighborhoods in Houston. The only place I can think of consistently more expensive is River Oaks? What in the living fuck are you talking about? Those three neighborhood have medim home prices at 1, 1.5, and 2 million dollars, per HAR.
https://www.har.com/pricetrends/briargrove-harris-realestate/2477
https://www.har.com/geomarketarea/176_west-university_southside-area

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

None of those are comparable to lake highlands? I think you live in the Johnny sack world but call it lake highlands 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Preston Hollow is closer to town. LH is in NE Dallas, just north of Lakewood. LH and Lakewood are affordable. Both are very tight knit good neighborhoods that love their sports and close to town.  Preston Hollow is pricey. Probably akin to Tanglewood and why I didn’t include it. Heights is probably equidistant from town as LH is. 

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Tanglewood and West U and Briargrove are up there as the most expensive neighborhoods in Houston. The only place I can think of consistently more expensive is River Oaks? What in the living fuck are you talking about? Those three neighborhood have medim home prices at 1, 1.5, and 2 million dollars, per HAR.

Didn’t read your links but Briargrove can’t be that much?  I’d never categorize them with the other 2. I figured someone might jump me on West U and Tanglewood. I haven’t lived in Houston in 19 years. My bad. 

28 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

None of those are comparable to lake highlands? I think you live in the Johnny sack world but call it lake highlands 

I don’t live in LH. Christ am I talking to a bunch of 8-fig guys here?

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jfc. I live in a pretty nondescript suburb in SoCal and we’re over 900 sq foot