Texas (-2.5) vs Colorado State- Thursday at 5:50 on TNT

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Ugly but I’ll take it every time.

ain’t no ugly this time of year. A 1 point win or a 20 point win still gets you to the next round. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Cool.  This guy and Derka align.  

we miss shots. Bad coaching.   They miss shots.  Rodney got lucky damn it. 

I fully expect Tennessee to run us off the court.  

but am relieved to see that Derka and helob have the same thoughts

Check your ‘casm meter

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

He really deserved more minutes this year … if we go out on our shield this tourney it should be with weaver on the floor for 30+ minutes

He played 29 minutes today, which was 3rd on the team behind Abmas and Horton. 

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He played 29 minutes today, which was 3rd on the team behind Abmas and Horton. 

Going to need Horton to play the best defense of his life against Knecht. He did an admirable job tonight against Clifford.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’ve shit on this team all year but credit where it’s due. They got a NCAA win which Shaka fucking Smart couldn’t ever do here )which is still beyond infuriating).

I hope Terry learns roster construction this offseason and hires a coach who knows schemes. Terry clearly csn get his guys to believe they’ll win. 

Too much shit is made of the roster construction. Holland and AJ Johnson were late decisions that fucked up Terry's "roster construction". Horton didnt even get picked up until like a month before school started. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Shaka got 6 years of no tournament wins and there are really people that think RT is going to be fired within 2 years coming off an elite 8 run and now another tournament win in year 2. 

I have no clue if RT is the right guy but he definitely isn't being fired within 2 years. 

Shaka might have been the luckiest coach in the history of ever.  hired during Patterson, then Perrin wasn't going to fire him while football was a dumpster fire, then Covid which buys him a mulligan.  the guy was here at least 2 years longer than he needed to be.

We need 30+ from Weaver against Tennessee.

1) He needs to guard 1 of Zeigler or Vescovi

2) We need a guard that attacks the rim against Tennessee's ball pressure. As aggressively as they play you have to attack them off the dribble which is Weaver > Horton. 

3) Tennessee struggles a good bit on the glass at times. Weaver is a pretty good offensive rebounder. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We need 30+ from Weaver against Tennessee.

1) He needs to guard 1 of Zeigler or Vescovi

2) We need a guard that attacks the rim against Tennessee's ball pressure. As aggressively as they play you have to attack them off the dribble which is Weaver > Horton. 

3) Tennessee struggles a good bit on the glass at times. Weaver is a pretty good offensive rebounder. 

We need 30-35 from Disu and Abmas. Closer to 40 would be best, but Barnes is going to make sure those 2 don't beat them. This will be a game where Hunter needs to go crazy. We need Cunningham, Hunter, and Horton to make 4+ 3's.

7 minutes ago, Hornster said:

Vols band performing rocky top over Eyes of Texas at end of tonight's game

Rick Barnes is a bigger choker than Chris Beard, we are moving past them in the next round. 

• Haha 3

Super frustrated at the game's start when Horton gave up a couple of easy buckets and bricked his chances on the opposite end. Not trying to pick on the guy; just think there's plenty of data to suggest who should be starting in his stead.

Speaking of whom, I believe Weaver contributed Texas' second bucket of the game and woke the team up from its funk and got the offense rolling. And, oh, yeah, helped limit CSU to 3 more points the entire rest of the half.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

A win over the vols and it’s a successful season. It’s definitely possible, just need a few shots to drop. (It’s also possible to get smoked by 20+)

back to back sweet 16’s would be a huge boost for the program, and would be a great achievement for RT, especially considering that he’s going up against his mentor, who’s also coaching the better team. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Saw this on Facebook. We live rent free to any and every irrelevant school, lol.

56209057486683aff036b632e10d3a0d.jpg

Shit doesn't bother me. I don't mind other schools fans throwing the horns down when THEY ARE PLAYING US. It's the people that do it when they aren't playing us that I don't understand. Get a life, folks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

ain’t no ugly this time of year. A 1 point win or a 20 point win still gets you to the next round. 

Exactly.  Style points ended last weekend.

I don't care if we beat Tenn 15-14 on 3% shooting. 

Two Sweet 16s in a row would be an amazing accomplishment for this group.  I've been as frustrated as anyone throughout most of the season, but these guys are very capable of playing one really good game and putting a nice cherry on top of this up-and-down year.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Word. If I knew Disu and Abmas would combine to shoot 10-33, we'd score 56 points, and go 1-14 from three...I definitely would have had CSU in my brackets.

And only 3 assists for Texas.  That has got be some kind of record low for them over the past several seasons.  How does that even happen?  I was thinking Horns should have gone to lob dunk more often.  I think those accounted for 2 of 3 assists.

4 minutes ago, 7KHorn said:

And only 3 assists for Texas.  That has got be some kind of record low for them over the past several seasons.  How does that even happen?  I was thinking Horns should have gone to lob dunk more often.  I think those accounted for 2 of 3 assists.

I don't think it was from a lack of ball movement. Disu and Abmas just missed some shots they normally make. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

and we pulled the game out because of that...

We were up 2+ possessions the entire 2nd half. CSU never had the ball with the chance to take the lead for the final 30 minutes of game action. We didn't pull the game out.

Pulling out a game is what Kansas did when they squandered a 21-point 2nd half lead and needing shitty officiating to not let Samford have the ball with a chance to win the game with under 15 seconds left.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Terry and the guys did a good job pressuring CSU and making them uncomfortable. 

Tennessee is the better constructed team with better high end talent so they should win tomorrow, but at the same time Barnes has only made 2 sweet 16s since he got there in 2015 so they're capable of laying an egg

33 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Exactly.  Style points ended last weekend.

Two Sweet 16s in a row would be an amazing accomplishment for this group.  I've been as frustrated as anyone throughout most of the season, but these guys are very capable of playing one really good game and putting a nice cherry on top of this up-and-down year.

This is our superbowl. 

My 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We were up 2+ possessions the entire 2nd half. CSU never had the ball with the chance to take the lead for the final 30 minutes of game action. We didn't pull the game out.

The point I was trying to make was that we closed the door when CSU was gaining ground and confidence due in large part to Weaver's defense and offense.  With the hot and cold play of this horns this year, I don't think using the phrase "pull the game out" is necessarily non applicable.  All said, I'll take an ugly, 1 point win at the buzzer with guys who have not seen the court all year playing significant minutes if it means we live on to the next game.  

9 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Terry and the guys did a good job pressuring CSU and making them uncomfortable. 

Tennessee is the better constructed team with better high end talent so they should win tomorrow, but at the same time Barnes has only made 2 sweet 16s since he got there in 2015 so they're capable of laying an egg

Outside of Knecht they are also not a very good shooting team. Just like CSU outside of Stevens. However, Knecht is a much tougher guard than Stevens.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Outside of Knecht they are also not a very good shooting team. Just like CSU outside of Stevens. However, Knecht is a much tougher guard than Stevens.

Yeah, Tennessee is #147 in 3 point% and it's only that high because of Knecht. 

It's probably going to be the same gamplan as CSU. Run Knecht off the 3 point line (similar to Isaiah Stevens) but live with other guys shooting some 3s. 

28 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That would be about 1.75 made field goals, based on about 58.5 shots per game on average this season.

We'll just say they get hot and make 2 shots.

They'll have to improve the free throw shooting at the end of the CSU game though.

But it's March. Anything is possible!

4 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Heck yes, a 7PM Saturday game! 

And on a channel that nearly everyone should be able to access.

I predict DirecTV will get in a feud with CBS 42 in Austin and I'll be watching it on my phone or some such.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

50 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That was also CSU's 5th game in 9 days so fatigue had to play a factor in how shot their legs were in the first half and how poorly they shot the ball. Won't get that advantage against Tennessee 

Just now, Hermanator said:

That was also CSU's 5th game in 9 days so fatigue had to play a factor in how shot their legs were in the first half and how poorly they shot the ball. Won't get that advantage against Tennessee 

Didn't bother NC State last night against Tech. You idiots keep making excuses for the opponents of the team you supposedly support.

Also, I think there is a benefit to playing in the first 4 game. It allows you to get rid of the nerves and establish a rhythm. 

Had we not had the pitiful start (which is expected in the 1st NCAA tournament game) it probably would have been a 20 point lead at the half. There are pros and cons to playing in the first 4. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, I think there is a benefit to playing in the first 4 game. It allows you to get rid of the nerves and establish a rhythm. 

Had we not had the pitiful start (which is expected in the 1st NCAA tournament game) it probably would have been a 20 point lead at the half. There are pros and cons to playing in the first 4. 

If Disu and Abmas each make 2 more shots, Texas wins by 20+ points.

• Hook 'Em 1

Part of Disu's frustration was caused by the fact that their bigs were lowering their shoulders and offensive fouling constantly.  Then he gets called for ticky tack fouls and is sent to the bench. He could never get in a rhythm either inside or from the perimeter.  

We won, so nobody it talking about it much, but I thought the game was called in a way that favored CSU bigtime.  The ending foul disparity didn't look so bad because of all the intentional fouls at the end.

Tennessee is going to be an even more physical matchup, unfortunately.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't bother NC State last night against Tech. You idiots keep making excuses for the opponents of the team you supposedly support.

NC State is a team that caught fire and won the ACC, one of the best conferences in the country. Colorado State wasn't playing up to that level against that level of competition. Colorado State looked fatigued while NC State did a much better job of overcoming it. 

Also I said our team played very well defensively and gave them credit. So you can stick that insult up your fat ass. Why be so abrasive to someone who hasn't been abrasive to you?

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I think this is just part of the logic some people are saying here. Yes, it was partly our defense but there were other factors that weren’t part of our defense for why CSU shot poorly.

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

NC State and CSU aren’t the same team. 

Also, going from Raleigh to Dayton to Pittsburgh is different than going from Ft. Collins to Dayton to Charlotte