2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

8 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is going to be important for the staff to not think of the defense statically. There is no Sweat on the roster, a 2 gapping immovable monster. It does have athletic DTs. Savea was solid in Nansen’s defense at Arizona that focused on moving the DL. Barring massive improvement or portal signing, that philosophy is going to fit this DL better. You are not going to see the best of Broughton or Collins, if you are asking them to 2 gap 

You should write them a letter and staple your business card to it. I think they’ll appreciate your unique perspective.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We in the sec now.  It’s all about calves 

Broughton going to be last off the bus. We will have to smuggle him in dressed like one of those decorative table flamingos from Hobby Lobby with wire legs stuffed in styrofoam. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Vertigo said:

Broughton going to be last off the bus. We will have to smuggle him in dressed like one of those decorative table flamingos from Hobby Lobby with wire legs stuffed in styrofoam. 

All he needs is shape wear for legs.

s-l1200.thumb.jpg.4a3186948414e0d5297615ac96b611bf.jpg

10 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is going to be important for the staff to not think of the defense statically. There is no Sweat on the roster, a 2 gapping immovable monster. It does have athletic DTs. Savea was solid in Nansen’s defense at Arizona that focused on moving the DL. Barring massive improvement or portal signing, that philosophy is going to fit this DL better. You are not going to see the best of Broughton or Collins, if you are asking them to 2 gap 

Nansen is listed as Co-Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers coach. Perhaps there will be some collaboration with PK.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I talked to the coaching staff about this. They seemed surprised that Sweat is no longer there.

Edited by Reese Bennett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First five today on the OL

LT Banks
LG Neto
C Majors
RG Campbell
RT Williams

Conner was working center.

Second round through Hutson was at the LG position with the 1st team.

If this oline group stays healthy and gels, this is going to be the best group since 2005, easily.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Monday News - Bobby

Spoiler

Texas practices at DKR this morning.

There will be a 30-minute viewing window for media. CJ and Gerry will both be there for OTF. We'll also be hosting a livestream immediately following practice so please stop by around 9:45 or so for more.

Heading into the second week of practice, there are a couple of things to watch.

1. Movement at wide receiver, edge, tight end and safety. Those are the primary places where portal entries have currently been running behind others.

Only Isaiah Bond has cracked the starting lineup as of Saturday afternoon.

That leaves us to see exactly what happens this week with Trey Moore, Andrew Mukuba, Matthew Golden, and Amari Nibalck.

A year ago at the same time, during the second week of practice, is when newcomers started moving around on the depth chart.

2. Another depth chart move that could be forthcoming is Alex January. We'll see if he moves up and surpasses Sydir Mitchell. Same can be said for Brandon Baker at right tackle over Andre Cojoe. Both are possible, if not likely, moves.

3. The health of the team is key. Texas was lucky much of last off-season and into the early season of 2023 to remain relatively healthy. That will again be something to be on watch for. Freddie Dubose and Colton Vasek have been dealing with some lingering issues. Mitchell has also been under the weather to a degree. If Texas wants to have a big 2024, then health is going to be something to monitor every step of the way.

Immediate Practice News

Spoiler

From Gerry & CJ.

- Manny Muhammad left practice early with what appeared to be a tweaked hamstring.

- Neto Umeozulu worked at first team LG with Hayden Conner at second team C. Cole Hutson also worked in some with first team at LG.

- Second team OL (left to right): Trevor Goosby, Malik Agbo, Hayden Conner, Connor Stroh, Jaydon Chatman

More to come...

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to 2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Can we be SEC Ready?
Posted (edited)

Back to back lines wtf

If Texas wants to have a big 2024, then health is going to be something to monitor every step of the way

- Manny Muhammad left practice early with what appeared to be a tweaked hamstring.

Edited by Beer Drinker
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We are going to be a top five team. Can we lose the "oh no can we be ready for the big bad SEC??" shit?

Agree 100%.

Sark asked and answered his own question, "What is the biggest difference between the B12 & SEC?".

DL, which everybody already knows. 

The Big 12 has 1st round NFL DL every year, and they scheme for them when they play them. The SEC has NFL DL across the board, every week, and having multiple high end players is more difficult to scheme against. 

DL is the only real ??? this year, and with what is already campus, Texas is top half, maybe top quarter of the SEC, behind Georgia and Alabama. Improvements at Edge, LB and DB should help the DL.

Other than DL, Texas is pretty damn solid.

Texas made a lot of Alabama's NFL 1st & 2nd rounders look very pedestrian last year. No reason to expect this year to be any different.

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We are going to be a top five team. Can we lose the "oh no can we be ready for the big bad SEC??" shit?

That's the joke. Open to changing thread title to suggestions. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:03 PM, Reese Bennett said:

The difference with Sweat is that he was a DE in high school, played BBall, and could dunk. He's always been a big athlete instead of a big guy trying to become an athlete.

Yep, and that is not Sydir Mitchell even at his theoretical peak. January is probably the closest thing to being that guy. Love that he is impressing early.

14 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

You should write them a letter and staple your business card to it. I think they’ll appreciate your unique perspective.

12 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I talked to the coaching staff about this. They seemed surprised that Sweat is no longer there.

Be sure to tell them how important it is to win the spring game too.

37 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Agreed. The conference schedule is only difficult this year because of the way the timing falls with OU/Georgia back to back, and the two hillbilly holy wars at Arkansas and A&M within three weeks in November. Texas is probably only an underdog to Georgia in conference play, and a very slight one. In terms of overall quality, this season's eight-game SEC schedule is roughly on par with a nine-game Big 12 schedule, and that's only because Georgia's legitimately a different animal. The rest of it? Whatever.

5 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Agree 100%.

Sark asked and answered his own question, "What is the biggest difference between the B12 & SEC?".

DL, which everybody already knows. 

The Big 12 has 1st round NFL DL every year, and they scheme for them when they play them. The SEC has NFL DL across the board, every week, and having multiple high end players is more difficult to scheme against. 

DL is the only real ??? this year, and with what is already campus, Texas is top half, maybe top quarter of the SEC, behind Georgia and Alabama. Improvements at Edge, LB and DB should help the DL.

Other than DL, Texas is pretty damn solid.

Texas made a lot of Alabama's NFL 1st & 2nd rounders look very pedestrian last year. No reason to expect this year to be any different.

Texas has had plenty of good DL come through and has had plenty of good DL units since 2010. DLs also don't play each other. What this line of logic would indicate needs an upgrade -  and they have very clearly looked at it that way - is the OL.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First five today on the OL

LT Banks
LG Neto
C Majors
RG Campbell
RT Williams

Conner was working center.

Second round through Hutson was at the LG position with the 1st team.

I knew it!!!! It was only a matter of time!!

like my coach always told me

Good 

Better 

Best

Conner was better than what we’ve previously had but Neto is best imo!! 
I love that oline!! 

Edited by D3zii

247: Spring Practice No. 4 Notebook: Sarkisian looking for 'thermostats' not 'thermometers' and much more

In today's Spring Practice No. 4 Notebook, plenty of Texas spring football updates, including coach Steve Sarkisian looking for "thermostats" not "thermometers."

AUSTIN, Texas — Plenty of Texas spring football updates in today's notebook from spring practice No. 4 on Monday, including coach Steve Sarkisian looking for "thermostats" not "thermometers" and much more:

— Nearly 300 high school coaches attended Texas’ coaching clinic Friday and Saturday, featuring Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay.

— The team put the pads on Saturday for a “physical practice.”

“We’re finding out about guys,” Sarkisian said.

— After Monday’s practice, Sarkisian said he talked to the team about maximizing each of the 15 spring football practices and whether guys are “a thermostat or a thermometer.”

“Thermostats, they set the temperature,” Sarkisian said.  “They bring the energy. They set the temperature. Thermometers, they just react to what is set. So, we need more guys that take the field with real intent. We need more guys that take the field with with great energy, so that the other players that may not know quite yet can fall in line with what that looks like.”

— Senior defensive tackle Alfred Collins and defensive ends Barryn Sorrell and Ethan Burke were singled out for being “thermostats.”

“I thought Alfred Collins looked really good today and was very intentional with his approach,” Sarkisian said. “Barryn Sorrell and Ethan Burke always bring it that way, too.”

— UTSA transfer edge Trey Moore also received praise as a guy “ who tries to squeeze every drop out of the day.”

“Trey Moore brings it. That guy is wired right,” Sarkisian said. “What I like about Trey is, first of all, is his work ethic. You can tell a guy who comes into the program and has a chip on his shoulder. Trey has got something to prove, and I think there's some value to that.”

— In addition to CJ Baxter and Jaydon Blue in the running back room, Sarkisian said Tre Wisner “has had a really, really good four days for us to start this thing off.”

— On Baxter, Sarkisian said, “At the size and speed that CJ has, I think his understanding and his ability to consistently run kind of violent is a strength of his, and when he does, he is tough to get on the ground.”

— On right tackle Cameron Williams (6-5, 360), Sarkisian said:

“Cam’s done a great job. You know, his his weight has really come down. I referenced it to him today on the field. He's moving really well. Cam has really matured that way in the value of keeping his weight manageable to where he can play to the best of his ability.”

— Sarkisian said he thinks he has a “hungry team.”

— He’s seeing examples of players coaching other players.

On Saturday, he said a younger player made a mistake in a special teams drill that could’ve resulted in injury to another player.

“Before myself or (special teams) Coach (Jeff) Banks could even say anything to him, it was like a flock of wolves that said, ‘That's not what we do. That's not how you do it.’ We’ve got a multitude of guys speaking up, and that’s a positive.”

— On Clemson transfer safety/nickel cornerback Andrew Mukuba, Sarkisian said, “I love the way he's practicing right now.

“You feel his experience as a player. You feel him having the ability to play multiple positions. And I love the intent with which he practices. He’s aggressive. He’s tough. But yet he knows how to practice. He doesn't go to the ground. He knows how to do those things. And I hope he serves as a really good benchmark for some of the other guys on how to do it. He's definitely showing up.”

— Sarkisian said senior tight end Juan Davis “has been a pleasant surprise.”

“This has definitely been his best spring so far since we've been here,” Sarkisian said. “And I'm proud of him and the work that he's putting in.”

— Sarkisian said enrollee freshman quarterback Trey Owens is a “natural passer” who can be hard on himself, at times.

“I told him, ‘My job is to be hard on you. Your job is to keep yourself pumped up,’” Sarkisian said.

— Sarkisian said quarterbacks Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning need to play a bigger role in helping some of the team’s inexperienced skill players develop.

“Their command is going to be really important,” Sarkisian said. “It's not just what they know. It's not just their ability to function. It's making sure the guys around them are in the right frame of mind and have the have the right knowledge to perform with them, because you can't rely on the experience of some of the guys that we had a year ago.

“So, that's the challenge, right? How far can we push a Johntay Cook, a DeAndre Moore, a Ryan Niblett and all these new faces to be elite players? The better they are around the quarterback, the better the quarterback is, right? And so how can the quarterback help those guys play to the best of their abilities? That's the challenge for Quinn and Arch.”

• Hook 'Em 5

15 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Nansen is listed as Co-Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers coach. Perhaps there will be some collaboration with PK.

I would think so. Arizona ran a much more complex defense. Varied coverages and lots of movement on the DL, all of which should fit this Texas roster better (experienced secondary with athleticism at safety and more athletic DTs). I would love Syrup Mitchell to find Jesus and be ready for the season or the portal to give Texas a 2 gapping DT, but some changes will need to be done if neither of those come to fruition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It sounds like Baker is looking real good already also.
Yeah, if we can find someone who can snap the damn ball then Arch should have decent protection in front of him for '25.

Our '24 O-line has to be top 5 nationally, and certainly the best we've had in a really long time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

I knew it!!!! It was only a matter of time!!

like my coach always told me

Good 

Better 

Best

Conner was better than what we’ve previously had but Neto is best imo!! 
I love that oline!! 

It's like the fourth day of spring practice. They are moving people around everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Burrell, Bryant, Mitchell, one of the NBs, maybe a WR, Cojoe, Kirkland, Agbo, Swanson, Red - there's talent there that could be starting somewhere else. Not saying any particular one of those guys is gone, just saying that somebody has to be before August. 

I'm a little less optimistic on the DL. I would be surprised if Broughton can consistently hold up on the inside and our depth is limited. And I think with Ford gone, we could have trouble getting gashed on inside runs. We would be even more thin if we lost all three of Bryant, Mitchell, and Swanson. However, they are not very likely to contribute and I would assume that whatever we get in the portal would be an upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm a little less optimistic on the DL. I would be surprised if Broughton can consistently hold up on the inside and our depth is limited. And I think with Ford gone, we could have trouble getting gashed on inside runs. We would be even more thin if we lost all three of Bryant, Mitchell, and Swanson. However, they are not very likely to contribute and I would assume that whatever we get in the portal would be an upgrade.

Bryant is running second team, so I’m doubting he’s leaving. He could be starting elsewhere in the SEC is the thought though. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

wtf happened to Mitchell? Seemed like everyone was convinced he was destined for greatness and was DRASTICALLY underrated by all the recruiting services. We thought he was going to be what Sweat turned out to be. And now he's overweight, out of shape, and can't crack the depth chart. Wild shit....

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Going to come down to how the coaches utilize them. @closetojumping friends hinted at some changes. Collins and Bledsoe would be an extremely athletic starting duo. You get those 2 stunting and moving around and you can cause a lot of chaos in the backfield. I have heard reports that they want to run more single high safety looks. It will be interesting to see what reports leak out on the overall direction of the defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

wtf happened to Mitchell? Seemed like everyone was convinced he was destined for greatness and was DRASTICALLY underrated by all the recruiting services. We thought he was going to be what Sweat turned out to be. And now he's overweight, out of shape, and can't crack the depth chart. Wild shit....

That’s not what a lot of us thought. We thought he needed to remake his body and would take 1-2 years of dedication to a college S&C program to see the field. He showed up last year out of shape and only got fatter. That’s actually pretty remarkable considering the success Becton has had at Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't recall anyone ever saying that. 

The responses to this post (by an idiot poster like me no less) tell a different story. My favorite gem is "Sydir Mitchell being the monster that he's projected to be".

All that said, maybe he gets his shit together (here or elsewhere). He's still young and talented. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

There's also the small matter of the #2 ranked softball team, too.

I regretted leaving them out, but wanted to keep it short and sweet.

For a change.

well i'm bummed about Mitchell.. I thought we had a really good player who had some rough edges to smooth out.. I mean UGA was trying to get him to flip all the way to signing day.

but if he doesn't put in the hard work and sacrifice.. (weight is just too much). so long :( 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Beetus?

26 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Don’t like the thermostat / thermometer thing. In my car when it gets hot, the thermostat opens up and lets all the water blow by it. That’s not what I want from my Oline.

I would hazard to guess that thought crossed exactly zero players' minds when Sark made his pointed analogy. It does make me wonder how many even know how an auto coolant system works.

• immamac changed the title to 2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?