2024 NCAA Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Games

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What the hell to do this week now while waiting for Saturday!

I think we will be bombarded with ESPN interviews of at least one assistant of Jimmy V's who is still working in basketball, in his 70s now, Jimmy's widow, who works for the V foundation, and Whittenberg, who works for his alma mater as an associate athletic director.  At least one ex-player I am definitely looking forward to hearing from is Terry Gannon, who went on to have a strong career on NBC as a golf analyst.

Oh, and how can we forget Dickie V!!! Baby !!! 

4 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

I think we will be bombarded with ESPN interviews of at least one assistant of Jimmy V's who is still working in basketball, in his 70s now, Jimmy's widow, who works for the V foundation, and Whittenberg, who works for his alma mater as an associate athletic director.  At least one ex-player I am definitely looking forward to hearing from is Terry Gannon, who went on to have a strong career on NBC as a golf analyst.

Oh, and how can we forget Dickie V!!! Baby !!! 

You lost me at Dukie V.

Nc State Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

this team (#78 in kenpom and ready to fire their HC when the regular season ended)-

IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.47eb540aa57aa7e7bee2d73c31adec6a.jpeg

has just done this:

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.860d494bc0c3fca4e524cf41ac73445b.jpeg

to go to the final four. one of the more unforeseen, unpredictable runs ever to the final weekend. amazing.

another way to look at it:

IMG_2163.thumb.jpeg.d922729a076a5e94c16baa1adde4ea36.jpeg

unreal.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this team (#78 in kenpom and ready to fire their HC when the regular season ended)-

IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.47eb540aa57aa7e7bee2d73c31adec6a.jpeg

IMG_2156.thumb.jpeg.029c050242b96be44220d3896621941f.jpeg

has just done this:

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.860d494bc0c3fca4e524cf41ac73445b.jpeg

to go to the final four. one of the more unforeseen, unpredictable runs ever to the final weekend. amazing.

another way to look at it:

IMG_2163.thumb.jpeg.d922729a076a5e94c16baa1adde4ea36.jpeg

unreal.

So another way to put is NC State was 17-14 heading into the ACC tournament and have run off 9 wins in a row to get to 26-14

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I'm trying to understand what Virginia's strategy was here. If you keep players in the paint and apply any type of pressure NC State probably doesn't even get a decent shot off. Also, why wouldn't you foul here after a couple dribbles? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

or if tony bennett decides to foul up three with time running out. so crazy how these things play out in college hoops. the nba playoffs will always be my far the best on-court basketball product around, but there is nothing like the pageantry, the do-or-die stakes, and the underdog stories of college hoops. for me only the world cup rivals march madness for drama, intrigue, and importance. there’s just nothing like it.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

or if tony bennett decides to foul up three with time running out. so crazy how these things play out in college hoops. the nba playoffs will always be my far the best on-court basketball product around, but there is nothing like the pageantry, the do-or-die stakes, and the underdog stories of college hoops. for me only the world cup rivals march madness for drama, intrigue, and importance. there’s just nothing like it.

Heck, if they just keep players in the paint and apply pressure it's probably a half court attempt. 

That's coaching malpractice by Bennett. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Heck, if they just keep players in the paint and apply pressure it's probably a half court attempt. 

That's coaching malpractice by Bennett. 

Instead he made sure he had the entire national stage to himself to show us all in the play-in game 

• Haha 3

I wish they would do the final four like the T20 cricket leagues do their playoffs.

Re-seed the four teams 1-4.  #1 plays #2, winner gets the first spot in the final round. 

#3 plays #4, loser is out.  Winner plays the loser of the #1 vs #2 game.  Winner of that game gets the other spot in the finals.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm trying to understand what Virginia's strategy was here. If you keep players in the paint and apply any type of pressure NC State probably doesn't even get a decent shot off. Also, why wouldn't you foul here after a couple dribbles? 

29 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Yeah, it took a comedy of errors for Virginia to blow that game.

A Virginia team that looked like the worst at-large team to make the field in the play-in game should’ve ended NC State’s season right there. And now NC State is in the Final 4. That’s fun. And it’s why hope springs eternal for so many teams every year, you just never know.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I wish they would do the final four like the T20 cricket leagues do their playoffs.

Re-seed the four teams 1-4.  #1 plays #2, winner gets the first spot in the final round. 

#3 plays #4, loser is out.  Winner plays the loser of the #1 vs #2 game.  Winner of that game gets the other spot in the finals.

yes let's mimic cricket.  we could also have 4 days of Virgina v CSU to decide the play in winner.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes let's mimic cricket.  we could also have 4 days of Virgina v CSU to decide the play in winner.

So you prefer the possibility of three blowouts over two or three close games to see who goes to the finals?

You seem dumb.

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So you prefer the possibility of three blowouts over two or three close games to see who goes to the finals?

You seem dumb.

yes, I'm the dumb one here.  holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

or if tony bennett decides to foul up three with time running out.

My eye twitches every time I think about a situation like this. Fucking Beard had to learn that lesson at our expense in that moment.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

yes, I'm the dumb one here.  holy shit.

The current scenario we have UCONN v Alabama and Purdue v NC State.  Two highly likely blowouts.

My scenario, UCONN would play Purdue, winner is in the final game.

Alabama plays NC State, loser goes home; winner plays the loser of UCONN Purdue.  Winner of that game plays the winner of the first game in the final.  So if UCONN beat Purdue in the first game and Purdue won the third game you get a rematch of two #1s for the championship.

Yeah, this current setup is soooo much better.

Fuck off, dumbass.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The current scenario we have UCONN v Alabama and Purdue v NC State.  Two highly likely blowouts.

My scenario, UCONN would play Purdue, winner is in the final game.

Alabama plays NC State, loser goes home; winner plays the loser of UCONN Purdue.  Winner of that game plays the winner of the first game in the final.  So if UCONN beat Purdue in the first game and Purdue won the third game you get a rematch of two #1s for the championship.

Yeah, this current setup is soooo much better.

Fuck off, dumbass.

fuck you. everyone on this thread thinks you are an idiot for bringing this up. Cricket LMFAO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I don’t know about the recent back and forth here, all I know is I’ve watched every NC state game since the ACC quarters and holy shit they are fun to watch. Total accident I caught their run that early. But amazing. So much fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

fuck you. everyone on this thread thinks you are an idiot for bringing this up. Cricket LMFAO.

Just because you aren't open to doing things differently doesn't mean you're right.  The Final Four should have been doing this since day 1.

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It's hard to fathom how tall these mother fuckers are off of the basketball coach. Dude looks like Lurch. I'm 6'3" and I get "how's the air up there?" jokes and assumptions about what collegiate sports I must have played. Bitch, I'd be undersized for a point guard in the NBA.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

It's like people didn't watch our game with Purdue when all this started.  That game was bullshit on so many levels.

Matt painter may be the worst coach in the NCAA if he can't win a NC with this advantage for 3 years, much less getting bounced in the first round.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic
11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

And in those games Purdue made 50/81 of them while Tennessee made 28/41.

Tennessee in those games shot a lot of 3s, combined 56 of 119 shots from the floor.

Purdue only shot a combined 30 3s of 107 shots.

That still doesn't account for no fouls being called on Purdue. That was bad.

Purdue beat Tennessee, 71-67, in the season's fifth game and then, 72-66 yesterday.