Documentaries- whatchoo got?

Sbbruin

I couldn't find a comprehensive documentaries thread, just either individual documentaries, or something like buried in a Netflix recommendations thread.  We were hunting for docs last night, because they can be really fascinating.  Started on "You are What You Eat" Netflix doc where they test out diet impacts on sets of identical twins.  It's interesting, not great.  But I like learning new things.  So what are some that people really like?

This will blow your mind.

Some others off the top of my head that may or may not be on streaming:

Free Solo

Happy People

God Grew Tired of Us 

Undefeated (highly, highly recommend)

Into Thin Air

The Social Dilemma

King of Kong

Console Wars

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

We are donors at The Paramount and they had an event on Wednesday.  They screened "20 Feet From Stardom", which I hadn't seen in a decade.  About backup singers throughout the decades.

It is so good and joyful.  A wonderful watch.

image.thumb.png.3a3d96f8e2643936cfe730fe562c26a7.png

Edited by Stringer
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Shoah by Lanzmann is basically the gold standard for documentaries, 9 hours long but really worth the watch if you love history and want to learn a lot more about witnessing genocide from all sides. Some of the interviews are chilling and devastating.

They Shall not Grow Old by Peter Jackson is an excellent colorized documentary about Britain and the First World War

Edited by usmc0331horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

anything by ken burns. i’ve been planning on doing a rewatch of his country music doc, and this is reminding me that i need to do that.

also anything narrated by david attenborough, especially if you like to smoke weed.

I've watched Vietnam with my classes and I honestly think it's his most well done.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

anything by ken burns. i’ve been planning on doing a rewatch of his country music doc, and this is reminding me that i need to do that.

also anything narrated by david attenborough, especially if you like to smoke weed.

I've watched his country music documentary probably a half dozen times and then Apple decided I couldn't access my movie and music collection that I bought from them and last time I checked paid a few hundred dollars for and yet they say tough shit if you don't have your old cellphone number and email address. I'll buy it elsewhere but fuck Apple and I'm a fanboy

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

This will blow your mind.

Some others off the top of my head that may or may not be on streaming:

Free Solo

Happy People

God Grew Tired of Us 

Undefeated (highly, highly recommend)

Into Thin Air

The Social Dilemma

King of Kong

Console Wars

Make sure you have your blood pressure meds handy during Free Solo

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Facts.

I love falling asleep to David Attenborough and some animals being animals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

This old white guy (and huge Chris Rock fan) really loved "Good Hair". 

I had no idea how much went into black women's hair.  

I've been trying to tell y'all...  This is the reason black people don't swim. Black women don't want their hair fucked up, so they avoid the pool. If women avoid the pool, not as many men in the pool.

Go to Miami, grab a copy of Financial Times, and go hang out at the pool at Fountainbleu... Dudes in the water. Women near, but not in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/30/2024 at 2:41 PM, Beau Vine said:

This one popped into my head out of nowhere yesterday and I mentioned it in the dog thread.  

If you love dogs, you have to see this:  

what kind of asshole doesn't love dogs?

• Drool 1

Hulu/History Channel - The 761st Tank Battalion: The Original Black Panthers

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/black-panthers-761st-tank-battalion

https://www.history.com/specials/761st-tank-battalion-the-original-black-panthers

Executive Produced and featuring Academy Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman, “761st Tank Battalion: The Original Black Panthers” will tell the true story of the 761st Tank Battalion, the first Black tank unit to serve in combat during WWII, and explore in-depth the major battles they faced both overseas while in combat and back home in the United States. It features an interview with one of the last surviving members of the 761st Battalion, as well as the current and first Black Secretary of Defense, Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III, alongside new and archival interviews, period footage, still photographs and new commentary and stories from family and relatives of the Black Panther soldiers. The documentary will also feature insights and opinions of prominent historians on WWII and experts on race and inequality in America.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:51 PM, mchookem said:

not exactly groundbreaking but it's kinda just perfectly east Texas.

Screenshot_20240329_154857_IMDb.jpg

Spoiler

Is this the one where the really spiritual black lady lost because she got caught up in singing a religious song and removed her hands to clap?  IIRC, there was actually a short-lived tv series with this concept in mind; however, it got cancelled quickly due to the fact that folks were so hard-core, they thought a contestant might die.  I believe they were competing for farm equipment (tractors?) or somesuch.

Hulu/History Channel - The 761st Tank Battalion: The Original Black Panthers

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/black-panthers-761st-tank-battalion

https://www.history.com/specials/761st-tank-battalion-the-original-black-panthers

Executive Produced and featuring Academy Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman, “761st Tank Battalion: The Original Black Panthers” will tell the true story of the 761st Tank Battalion, the first Black tank unit to serve in combat during WWII, and explore in-depth the major battles they faced both overseas while in combat and back home in the United States. It features an interview with one of the last surviving members of the 761st Battalion, as well as the current and first Black Secretary of Defense, Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III, alongside new and archival interviews, period footage, still photographs and new commentary and stories from family and relatives of the Black Panther soldiers. The documentary will also feature insights and opinions of prominent historians on WWII and experts on race and inequality in America.

Posted (edited)

If you like baseball, you have to check out "The battered bastards of baseball".  It's phenomenal.  It's about Kurt Russell's father - Bing Russell who started an independent A-league team of players nobody else wanted.

The original bad news bears:  Portland Mavericks

Equally good baseball doc is "The King of Second Chances".  If you don't get misty-eyed at the end, I don't know what to tell you.  It's where Daryl Strawberry went after his drug charges and where he turned his life around before coming back to the bigs.  

If you like small town Texas football, check out "Texas 6".  About 6 man football in Strawn, TX.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 4:57 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Since it was brought back up because a woman finished the race, I’ll add The Barclay Marathons

Do you mean the Barkley?  That is WILD.  Only 25 people have ever FINISHED the damn thing.  100 miles through Appalachia, and it changes year to year.  Just brutal.  

• Like 1

Dogtown and Z-Boys caught my eye when they were rebroadcasting it a few years ago.  It was originally released in 2001.  To me, its the epitome of what a documentary should be.  It's subject matter may be 'foreign' to you but it is still an interesting and entertaining watch.  It's about skateboarding in 1970's California.  These guys were basically the precursors to the likes of Tony Hawk and his peers and those that came after that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 3:46 PM, Deej said:

download (22).jpeg

All of Errol Morris's ouevre is top tier, with special mentions for The Thin Blue Line (the Documentary Now! spoof is essential after you've seen this), Gates of HeavenThe Fog of War, and The Unknown Known