Drastic increase in student absences

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't a thing when I went to school...

It wasn't for me either, and the rich students skied and stuff over the breaks/holidays. School was free care for my folks and if we were out of school when I was small then my grandmother provided care but once I was old enough, then I was either taken to work with one of my parents and they found work for me to do (my older brother had a real job). One spring break towards the end of the "vacation" I wasn't feeling so hot and got in trouble for laying around so washed all the cars, swept off the driveway, and did all the outside work they usually had to spend a weekend day doing. At lunchtime was sitting with my dad who had stopped home to check on me and he remarked that I looked puny and I said, 'well, it hurts when I breathe.' Turns out I had pneumonia in both lungs and missed several days of school because I was in the hospital. But at least the cars were clean!

Unless they had/have a fever, our kiddos were/are in school.

To each their own.

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

Would you have let her take the exam early with no penalty? 

For a family vacation? Nope. You say yes to this, then I have approve every other similar request coming in after that.

For a college function, medical reason, religious reason, military reason, or government duty? Yes—but I made exceptions on a case by case basis. It also comes with knowing the student and their credibility. 

I’ve let students take exams (regular or finals) or do speeches early a few times when I taught—one was pregnant and was having major complications (she did her exams and speech in the hospital bed), one student had to get chemo treatments and a few times it was during my class time, one student got a really good job with an oil company and they needed him to start a certain day, and one student got called to Active Duty (he was scared and started crying in front of me…felt really bad. He struggled on the major speech but was a great student. Should have gotten a B in the class but I gave him an A). 

The student who got chemo during my class, well I found out the next semester she passed over the summer. That was my first. I was really, really in shock for a few days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

Would you have let her take the exam early with no penalty? 

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

And have her sell the test questions?  

That's a no for me, dog.

I know of a similar story that occurred with an Astronomy 301 final in the late 80s. 

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

And have her sell the test questions?  

That's a no for me, dog.

They're cheating the fuck away no matter what, giving one exam just makes it easy. Check into Chegg, it's full of everybody's tests.

Mrs. Canecutter uses a program that spits out similar chemistry problems but they all have different variables. She dances on their academic graves when they copy answers from the wrong test.

Once, early in my first Hell Job (teaching 9th graders with no training) I laid a whammy on their cheating ways. I gave them a multiple-choice test that appeared to be two versions- one had a cartoon dog at the top, the other had a cartoon flower. There were actually 4 versions that I had collated so when I handed them out, nobody had the same version as anybody near them. All answers were similar length. Told em not to copy.

BWAHAHAHAHAH

Got back A's, B's, and a shit-load of low F's. "Why did I get it wrong when Derek got it right?" "You had two different answers. Let's go over why this answer was the one."

Did the same thing a couple of times more until they learned that Mr. Canecutter was evil and crazy. Then I would just make one version, but with 4 different pictures at the top. Maybe somebody clued in. But that's OK, they were thinking.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

in higher ed, we’re noticing students come to class for the first 6-7 weeks then just stop coming. This is nationwide. And they still expect a passing grade in the class even when they’ve missed the last 9-10 weeks of the course. 

This may be addressed further down thread, ignore if so. But are these kids that are missing 10 weeks or whatever still turning in assignments and taking/passing tests? 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The kids can just stay at home and "do their own research."

If the internet had existed and been as available as it is today, I'd have stayed at home and done plenty of health/sex ed research.

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

For a family vacation? Nope. You say yes to this, then I have approve every other similar request coming in after that.

Something you do for one, you have to do for the next thousand who ask.

Another thing a rookie teacher will learn is that students you helped will Stab You In The Back by telling other professors or admin, often in an aggressive way, that you bent a rule so why won't they. Wormy little fuckers.

I did allow one student from my French class to disappear with full credit, because she was going to France for a month with her mom and daughter after her husband had moved in with his mistress. It was Mexico, and I felt that she needed a break.

Veterans, especially combat veterans get extra slack in my classes. They seldom need it, but if they do, screw the rules.

Also, I think every SLO (Student Learning Outcome) I ever wrote has been an obvious fake. But they all made Admin happy.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I travel a lot for work and once a semester I'll take a day off before or after meetings and let one of my teenagers tag along if it's somewhere cool (NYC, Washington D.C., Chicago, etc.) that we can do some bonding and cultural education (e.g. museum, historical sites, general cultural value, and yes, out of town sports).

I just email the school and vaguely say "So and so has to be in XYZ City on Dates A and B-- can we get some of his school work so he/she doesn't fall too far behind, etc."

My dad used to take me out of school for the occasional business trip out of town. I would wander whatever city alone while he was in a meeting and see the sights. In hindsight it was invaluable for developing self-reliance and independence that can't really be taught in school. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Public school high school teachers in general don’t give a fuck and neither do the students by and large. This seems to be a post pandemic phenomenon. My kids are in IB classes and rarely have homework or projects. My eldest who is 4 years ahead always had an hour or more each night. There has been close to 100% turnover of the IB teachers. If they weren’t almost done I’d move them to private and I am adamantly opposed to private schools

eta there is a tremendous amount of teacher absenteeism as well. Teachers will be gone for a week or more for “personal“ reasons. I just can’t imagine so many teachers can have health problems that require them to miss substantial blocks of school. And the substitutes these days do absolutely nothing, not even just following the lesson plan from the teacher. Half the time, if it’s an afternoon class, the sub will just tell them they can leave

Edited by Sawbonz

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Public school high school teachers in general don’t give a fuck and neither do the students by and large. This seems to be a post pandemic phenomenon. My kids are in IB classes and rarely have homework or projects. My eldest who is 4 years ahead always has an hour or more. There has been close to 100% turnover of the IB teachers. If they weren’t almost done I’d move them to private and I am adamantly opposed to private schools

eta there is a tremendous amount of teacher absenteeism as well. Teachers will be gone for a week or more for “personal“ reasons. I just can’t imagine so many teachers can have health problems that require them to miss substantial blocks of school. And the substitutes these days do absolutely nothing, not even just following the lesson plan from the teacher. Half the time, if it’s an afternoon class, the sub will just tell them they can leave

I used to think I was opposed to private schools. And I'm certainly opposed to gutting public education for vouchers. But it's hard to hate private schools, good ones, when you see just how shitty public education has become, how hard they've worked to lower the quality of teachers, and make sure the good ones who are attacked by their own admiistratoin and the parents of the children, and underpaid to boot. It's gone from being a calling to a job that the worst people get who can't find other jobs, and the good ones are driven away because they're underpaid and their own principles and superintendents actively work against the teachers. 

We let this shit happen. 

• Hook 'Em 4

My daughter's private HS implemented anything more than 7 missed days in a semester and you have to make up classes in the summer.  Extenuating circumstances, like Covid or other major illness, excepted.  They were just having too many absences.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Public school high school teachers in general don’t give a fuck and neither do the students by and large. This seems to be a post pandemic phenomenon.

It's not just schools.  Most businesses I have dealt with over the last 4 years are completely out of fucks to give.  Honestly, I would say its gotten somewhat better over the last 6 months, or maybe I am just adjusting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I definitely took classes in college where I skipped all the classes and just showed up for quizzes/exams. Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

All of med school?  Yes

Sue me, bro (please don’t).  

• Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My daughter's private HS implemented anything more than 7 missed days in a semester and you have to make up classes in the summer.  Extenuating circumstances, like Covid or other major illness, excepted.  They were just having too many absences.

My COO kid’s fancy dumbass private school implemented a 2 week spring break.  

Nobody does shit anymore.  

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It's not just schools.  Most businesses I have dealt with over the last 4 years are completely out of fucks to give.  Honestly, I would say its gotten somewhat better over the last 6 months, or maybe I am just adjusting.

Yeah, I see a lot more general workplace apathy from the onset of covid on.  Great resignation, quiet quitting, etc...

i think covid showed us how bullshit our social structure really is

my kids are absent all the time. monday they didn't feel like going for different reasons but basically they were tired from helping try to entertain cousins at easter. 

why do i give a fuck? unexcused absences mean fuckall any longer. 

it's sometimes better for them to just have a day than have the fight. 

i am sure this will be a super popular opinion around here and before you jump on me , know my wife is in public education and I'm a huge supporter of properly executed public schooling. 

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I used to think I was opposed to private schools. And I'm certainly opposed to gutting public education for vouchers. But it's hard to hate private schools, good ones, when you see just how shitty public education has become, how hard they've worked to lower the quality of teachers, and make sure the good ones who are attacked by their own admiistratoin and the parents of the children, and underpaid to boot. It's gone from being a calling to a job that the worst people get who can't find other jobs, and the good ones are driven away because they're underpaid and their own principles and superintendents actively work against the teachers. 

We let this shit happen. 

In our case it has nothing to do with the principals and superintendents and salaries are pretty good imo starting >50K per year. 

apathy in general is setting in at a societal level. If it isn't quick brain tingles it's just not happening. People can't be bothered to read anymore, can't be bothered to do anything. 

I seriously have no idea what people think they are doing to be productive or additive to society with their work, school feels the same way - why the fuck does it actually take a full semester to learn what they are trying to teach? I don't think it does, it has more to do with kids need to go somewhere that is away from their parents than it is about the curriculum needing that much time to set in. The access to information and ability to test for comprehension is such a short cycle now that traditional school learning is actually pretty fucking stupid at this point if you have a competent person driving accountability and outcome based learning. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I see a lot more general workplace apathy from the onset of covid on.  Great resignation, quiet quitting, etc...

It's almost like there's a mental health crisis and people have consciously or subconsciously realized that the informal contract that used to exist between employer and employee has, in a majority of cases, been abandoned by one side of the partnership. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, F250 said:

I used to stop regularly showing up for some classes after the first week. I only did this with electives that were low effort courses. Basic strategy was to show up and get the syllabus, take notes on the professors expectations, mark down important dates and then drop in occasionally in case anything changed.

There was a Comms class I took that was basically a media literacy course. As long as you read the Christian Science Monitor and the NYT you were prepped for the exam. I probably attended class 8 times. This was before online grades so not knowing my grade I dropped by the professors office.

After I introduced myself to the professor he said "ah, Mr. F250 you are the student that never shows up to retrieve your graded exams." As he was looking up my grade he made a snarky comment that indicated it would be a failing grade then said "hmm, you have a 92."

Me as I walked out of his office.

i rule breakfast club GIF

Paradigm Notes ftw.  (Class of 1990)

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

apathy in general is setting in at a societal level. If it isn't quick brain tingles it's just not happening. People can't be bothered to read anymore, can't be bothered to do anything. 

I seriously have no idea what people think they are doing to be productive or additive to society with their work, school feels the same way - why the fuck does it actually take a full semester to learn what they are trying to teach? I don't think it does, it has more to do with kids need to go somewhere that is away from their parents than it is about the curriculum needing that much time to set in. The access to information and ability to test for comprehension is such a short cycle now that traditional school learning is actually pretty fucking stupid at this point if you have a competent person driving accountability and outcome based learning. 

Depends on what you're learning of course. I needed a basic level of SQL for a job interview recently and learned that shit in a day on Coursera to the ability it needed. Taking and paying for a legit course that would have been a massive waste of time/resources. For my MA in history, it was absolutely necessary to spread out the info as books can be fucking long even with predatory reading and writing a thesis takes a shit ton of time.

...Of course I'm not sure anyone needs an MA in history, or is it that everyone does?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We have the same 7 day policy (but the overage puts you in the penalty box with no teeth), and unlike the guy whose kids are in IB and have zero course load, the school my kids go to load them up with so much work and homework it feels really grueling. Way more than what I did in public highschool back in the day for sure.

Thus, I don't like them to miss without a plan to either get the studies in advance (the teachers post the curriculum and homework for the week on Sundays, in advance) so they can do them in the hotel room / airplane / home or tough it up and go to school. The catching up with how quickly they can get behind some of the more advanced stuff (and the volume of tasks) is a full time job in and of itself.

Edited by BeardIP

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

my kids are absent all the time. monday they didn't feel like going for different reasons but basically they were tired from helping try to entertain cousins at easter. 

i am sure this will be a super popular opinion around here and before you jump on me , know my wife is in public education and I'm a huge supporter of properly executed public schooling. 

I don't think you are wrong at all.  Some things I have seen people struggling with since the onset of covid (age immaterial):

• Why the fuck do I need to take a shower today?
  • Why the fuck do I need to brush my teeth today?
  • Why the fuck do I need to put on clean clothes today?
  • Why the fuck do I need to go to school/work/whatever today?
  • Why the fuck do I even need to get out of bed today?
  • Why the fuck am I doing anything when life is just a finite state machine of eat, shit, work, eat, work, eat, fuck around, sleep, repeat N times until you die?
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's almost like there's a mental health crisis and people have consciously or subconsciously realized that the informal contract that used to exist between employer and employee has, in a majority of cases, been abandoned by one side of the partnership. 

i was fired last year for being sad and anxious. employers will put all kinds of mental health wellness bullshit in their messaging but god help you if you fucking admit it. they will take a look of your state of employment, pip you and fire you. thanks texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)

There's a lot of ills in public education, but most of them are inflicted by (or can be traced to) decisions made by the government of the state in which they reside.

Absolutely, there are outstanding private schools---but the whole rush for vouchers nationwide (especially in red states) has created a booming private school ecosystem where it's just a money grab without accountability, but "school choice".

Private schools can be great, but for that whole private thing (fuck the special needs kids or the handicapped and bus them? fuck you, get them here yourself).  But the other hidden feature of private schools:  no accountability on attendance, testing, whatnot.   I'd be interested to know if privates have higher chronic absenteeism as well; I'm guessing that some of the privates really don't give a shit, because they have the money in hand anyway.

My kids attend a smallish public school (almost 3000 students K-12).  Going off of their district state report card, the district averaged 90% daily attendance for the 2022-23 school year, all grades combined.  Looking back to the 18-19 school year, the attendance averaged 91% daily, so Covid really didn't make a large difference.  

It's an interesting study; chronic absenteeism spans all ethnicities, economic groups, etc but in the kids district, there aren't a lot of wealthy families.  I'm of the mindset that in a small bedroom community where everyone has to work to get by, the kids have to attend school.    And one factor that will increase school attendance---participation in extracurricular activities.  Obviously, you can't force students to participate, but those districts that have a high percentage of students who do participate in all likelihood have a lower chronic absenteeism rate.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I’ve let students take exams (regular or finals) or do speeches early a few times when I taught—one was pregnant and was having major complications (she did her exams and speech in the hospital bed), one student had to get chemo treatments and a few times it was during my class time, one student got a really good job with an oil company and they needed him to start a certain day, and one student got called to Active Duty (he was scared and started crying in front of me…felt really bad. He struggled on the major speech but was a great student. Should have gotten a B in the class but I gave him an A). 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

- No idea what they want to do in life so they don’t do anything

Sounds like 18-20 year old me.  And I skipped every class I thought I could get away with skipping.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't a thing when I went to school in the 70s and 80s. Of course then again I went to a relatively poor school. Hell my parents did well, and our only annual vacation was 2 weeks in August.

And yes, unexcused absences definitely lowered your grade after a certain point. 

Yeah back then if you didn't have a doctor's note after missing more than one day, you got 0's for any homework or tests that were assigned while you were gone.  It was fucking brutal.  On top of that, my dad was a pharmacist, so I had to be sick as a dog to get out of going to school altogether.  I knew I could get away with having an upset stomach and going home at lunch 3 or 4 times a year, but that's as much as I was ever going to get.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

There's a lot of ills in public education, but most of them are inflicted by (or can be traced to) decisions made by the government of the state in which they reside.

Absolutely, there are outstanding private schools---but the whole rush for vouchers nationwide (especially in red states) has created a booming private school ecosystem where it's just a money grab without accountability, but "school choice".

Private schools can be great, but for that whole private thing (fuck the special needs kids or the handicapped and bus them? fuck you, get them here yourself).  But the other hidden feature of private schools:  no accountability on attendance, testing, whatnot.   I'd be interested to know if privates have higher chronic absenteeism as well; I'm guessing that some of the privates really don't give a shit, because they have the money in hand anyway.

My kids attend a smallish public school (almost 3000 students K-12).  Going off of their district state report card, the district averaged 90% daily attendance for the 2022-23 school year, all grades combined.  Looking back to the 18-19 school year, the attendance averaged 91% daily, so Covid really didn't make a large difference.  

It's an interesting study; chronic absenteeism spans all ethnicities, economic groups, etc but in the kids district, there aren't a lot of wealthy families.  I'm of the mindset that in a small bedroom community where everyone has to work to get by, the kids have to attend school.    And one factor that will increase school attendance---participation in extracurricular activities.  Obviously, you can't force students to participate, but those districts that have a high percentage of students who do participate in all likelihood have a lower chronic absenteeism rate.

I attended good private schools for most of my childhood (except for 3 years at Oakhill Elementary). My wife also attended private school except in small town Texas. Let's just say us dating became eye-opening for her on things like evolution, history, etc. Were they absolutely terrible schools? Probably not. Were they indoctrinating kids? Absolutely.  My son is at an excellent public school in Houston (dual-language immersion program), but we are having to fight it keep it as amazing as it is thanks to Texas politics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I agree with this. The structure for higher education is outdated. There is way too much unneeded shit for most degrees. You do not need a language credit for a biology degree. You don’t need a Texas History credit either. Higher education costs too much anyway, it doesn’t need to be weighted down with extra bullshit. 

And attendance requirements are mostly unnecessary. I had an upper level English teacher try and fail me due to attendance requirements. I had an A and was one of 3 people that ever participated in class discussion. I missed 5 classes and the professor wanted to fail me. But as long as you shows up and slept, that was okay. Idiocy. 

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I may be a minority , but I'm fine with majors having to take other kinds of classes outside their discipline becuase I believe it creates well rounded knowledge in people, and I don't think that stops after HS. Ive gotten a lot of utility out of my various classes I took that weren't based on my main degree. 

Same.  It's about a well rounded education, not just 4 years on your degree.  Engineers need to learn how to write, liberal arts majors should know math and god forbid a finance kid has an appreciation for art or theater. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Engineer's electives should almost 100% be spent on some equivalent form of societal ettiquite class where they have to practice talking to other human beings, mainting conversation while also maintaining eye contact, maybe some general hygeine instruction, chewing with their mouths close, etc etc. 

/ducks

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

tangentially to above.

Nothing is quite as entertaining when a company decides that their engineering/design/technical staff needs to get out into the real world so they implement some sort of sales tag-along program.  Bunch of smooth talkers those engineers.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I fail to comprehend where some of these high school kids are going to land in the future in terms of a job or career, but as a 55 year old without kids, I guess it's not really my problem. I do think we've been failing our kids the last couple of decades and letting them slide in school doesn't seem to be a good solution. If someone has a good solution, I'm happy to do my part including higher taxes if it actually helps the future.

I understand the opinion that some knowledge/info workers don't need an university degree full of unnecessary classes, but a degree represents more than sum of the individual classes. It shows completion of a long term commitment. For some of us, that commitment was shaky at times but we got through it. Personally I wouldn't hire someone today that showed up with a handful of online classes and a certification that may or may not have value.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

I mean you say this but as a dad of a kid who had to miss significant parts of the first semester of school last year due to a medical issue, I had to do a shitload of extra work to keep her both off truancy reports and credit for attendance efforts so her schoolwork would actually be accepted and she could continue in her grade level. She even got dinged for actual excused medical absences that she had valid reasons for missing classes/days of school in the spring semester based on how much time she missed in the fall. I was possibly facing appearing before a truancy court if the school didn't step in to help us out. This is Dallas ISD so maybe Austin doesn't give a shit but they definitely do here. 

Maybe my kids schools are different but there's a ton of work and missing a day can be really hard in terms of falling behind for my older one. You can only make up stuff in after school sessions for tutoring. If you miss a test, you can make that up but it can then be an unexcused absence for the class you're missing to do it. If she doesn't have a note, she can't make up the tests, homework, or gym classes. We learned that the hard way this fall. Granted, this is a magnet school so maybe that's more the reason but my older one never had this much work before getting high school. If anything, middle school did not prepare her in any way for all of this. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i was fired last year for being sad and anxious. employers will put all kinds of mental health wellness bullshit in their messaging but god help you if you fucking admit it. they will take a look of your state of employment, pip you and fire you. thanks texas. 

That sucks. Fuck those bastards.

High level sports are also to blame.  College showcases and elite tournaments now generally start play on Friday which requires travel on Thursday.  There are usually at least 5 of these type of events a school year for the top athletes who want to play in college.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hey, since AI can and will do everything we used to have to study for, what do y'all think about just redefining college away from anything practical, just a social class bump where 19-year-olds can mingle and share a tribal identity?

I'd still include a few courses just so they have to try to function after closing the bar. My choices are Latin, Fencing, and Horseback Riding. Discuss.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I agree with this. The structure for higher education is outdated. There is way too much unneeded shit for most degrees. You do not need a language credit for a biology degree. You don’t need a Texas History credit either. Higher education costs too much anyway, it doesn’t need to be weighted down with extra bullshit. 

And attendance requirements are mostly unnecessary. I had an upper level English teacher try and fail me due to attendance requirements. I had an A and was one of 3 people that ever participated in class discussion. I missed 5 classes and the professor wanted to fail me. But as long as you shows up and slept, that was okay. Idiocy. 

I strongly disagree. A good portion of our population thinks George Washington and Jesus turned the tide during the Battle of the Alamo or think Spain is located in Central America. The last thing our society needs is a dumbing down of the college educated.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

I can look at absences from a couple of different personal angles:

1.  My own.   I graduated from UT in 1994.   I almost always attended class and the times that I didn't were 100% tied to being hungover or trying to get out of town on Th/F.   In high school, I might have missed 1-2 days a year and that was it.   

2.  My kids.  The last Macanudoette is a senior in high school.   She has missed more days this year than I missed in all of high school.  And she likes school.   But she uses her period as an excuse each month to stay home for a day.   I don't get them so I'm not going to judge.  

3.  My family experience.  I have 3 grade school teachers in my immediate family.   They all comment on how common it is for kids to miss all the time.   There is the mix of chronically sick, early out on Friday for family stuff/trips, etc.   A biggie is the number of kids who get taken out on the Friday before holiday/break weeks.   Humble ISD gets a week off in October, at Thanksgiving, in February and in March.  That goes along with two weeks at Christmas.  Some of these kids aren't in school on those Fridays for each break.   That's 5 times right there.

4.  My (very short) experience as a sub.  I've been subbing in middle and high school since January.  Every class has 3-5 kids out each day.  I was in a class on the Friday before Spring Break and there were probably 6-8 out of each class.  

There is a lot at play and most of it has been covered by earlier:

- Lack of emphasis at the family level on attendance.

- COVID did change things to a degree

- Ambivalence from the schools.   This is kind of surprising because they get their funding based on attendance.

- Teacher apathy.  I completely understand this.  Students don't care, and while our teachers thought the same thing, each generation it is getting worse IMO.  

- Societal apathy.   I 100% completely agree that a large number of people have out that the corporate world sucks.   Executive greed and shitty management makes adult give up too.   Kids see there parents slog it out, put in a ton of hours and work very hard only to struggle to makes ends meet and/or get laid off during a downsizing.  My kids have seen this with me.  I worked my ass off at my prior job and then got laid off last year.   They don't know the comp numbers but the only years I got more than a 3.5% raise was when I got promoted in 2013, 2014 and 2016.  Every other year it was 2.5-3.5%.  And that was always at or above the the base level at the company.  

- Teacher pay sucks ass.   In some places, they are making OK money.  People will point out that "they get off all that time."   Sure, they do get a lot of time off both during the school year and in the summer.   But the dedicated ones put in way more than 8 hours a day.   Even as a sub I'm doing about 8 hours on campus with 20-30 minutes to eat.   Full time (dedicated) teachers spend a lot of time after school and on the weekends doing shit.  

- Ambivalence from kids about the need for an education, especially a college degree.   We've devalued the college experience and made having one fairly superfluous.  

The absence problem is just a symptom of larger problems in our society. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, F250 said:

I strongly disagree. A good portion of our population thinks George Washington and Jesus turned the tide during the Battle of the Alamo or think Spain is located in Central America. The last thing our society needs is a dumbing down of the college educated.

Our society is fucked anyway. It’s beyond dumb. Requiring people to learn Texas history isn’t going to change that. Higher education has a cost issue. Attendance is a symptom, not the problem. I also believe a well rounded education is a good thing, but I believe people should have more choice in their degree requirements outside core. 

Edited by Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Our society is fucked anyway. It’s beyond dumb. Requiring people to Texas history isn’t going to change that. Higher education has a cost issue. Attendance is a symptom, not the problem. I also believe a well rounded education is a good thing, but I believe people should have more choice in their degree requirements outside core. 

Nah, fuck that. People can attend a vocational school or aggy if they want to live in ignorance but still learn a trade.

• Hook 'Em 5