Drastic increase in student absences

also you know what happens when your kid is in serious crisis and you make them endure it anyways and go to school and suck it up?

i remember when that happened when i was a kid and I'm probably still suffering somehow from that experience. also i learned nothing in school those days because fuck you i dont want to be here or need to be here. i guess my dad would have called that building character but it was pretty much bullshit

i did learn how to be bitter and anxious and have a lot of resentment towards my parents though so i got that out of it. Sorry if i don't want to be the biggest asshole in my kids' teen lives. doesn't mean I'm their best friend either. 

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

I strongly disagree. A good portion of our population thinks George Washington and Jesus turned the tide during the Battle of the Alamo

So you mean the Texians were winning, but then George and Jesus led an unstoppable bayonet charge screaming "Viva Santa Anna!"?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i did learn how to be bitter and anxious and have a lot of resentment towards my parents though so i got that out of it. Adieu if i don't want to be the biggest asshole in my kids' teen lives. doesn't mean I'm their best friend either. 

Sounds like you got that out of your system.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

Feels like teenagers today are a bunch of fragile pussies who feel the need to stay home when they have a tiny tummy ache.

Yeah - what a bunch of bitches.

I skipped class in HS for important reasons - like smoking weed and fucking my girlfriend when our parents weren't home.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I agree with this. The structure for higher education is outdated. There is way too much unneeded shit for most degrees. You do not need a language credit for a biology degree. You don’t need a Texas History credit either. Higher education costs too much anyway, it doesn’t need to be weighted down with extra bullshit. 

And attendance requirements are mostly unnecessary. I had an upper level English teacher try and fail me due to attendance requirements. I had an A and was one of 3 people that ever participated in class discussion. I missed 5 classes and the professor wanted to fail me. But as long as you shows up and slept, that was okay. Idiocy. 

The structure of higher ed has changed. I’m not sure if you’re in higher ed or just going by when you were in college. Degree plans have changed to be more streamlined and more Pathway oriented. As I have mentioned not only in reply to you before but on this board in general, this has resulted in some departments having to justify their existence or restructure their degree plans to keep up with what’s happening. 

Also, you’re starting to see more programs implement Capstone Projects and more Service Learning regardless of the discipline/program/major. This is a huge change. This used to be for more Workforce programs, but the For Credit/Academic programs are starting to do this. And yes, the occasional History credit for bio majors or Comm credit for Nursing majors is definitely necessary. 

As far as attendance is concerned, there is all sorts of research that shows higher attendance in class equates to more student success. While you personally may not have needed to go to class, that doesn’t apply to everyone. The average student needs to be in class as it allows them to learn in different ways via active learning and get questions answered they normally wouldn’t have. Also, I’ve had students tell me the friends they’ve made in the class helped with with other classes than mine, helped them find jobs, helped them find their best friend, or helped them through encouragement. You also shouldn’t forget—an element of this is also where you grew up, your educational background from the time you were little until high school, your access to study tools/tutors in high school, etc. Most students don’t have that. That could be a big reason why you didn’t need to go to class.

I have way more stories of students who tried the “I don’t need to come to class and will still pass” but ended up with a F in the class than I do for those who didn’t come to class and made an A (and I knew they’d make an A). 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

The systems are all broken. Most here agree on that. And by systems, I mean schooling, I mean healthcare, I mean housing cost and shortages, I mean lack of community. All of it. 

and those fucked yo systems are creating the despair and apathy n society by kids and adults alike. But I doubt that making kids learn less things, have less exposure to different perspectives, and going to less class, even if they hate it and you’re the bad guy, helps society out of any of those problems long term. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

We used to tell our friends who worked office assistant in the morning to pick up the attendance sheets and erase our names from the absent list. Kids are just as truant as they’ve ever been but now they cannot get around the technology that counts them absent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, F250 said:

Nah, fuck that. People can attend a vocational school or aggy if they want to live in ignorance but still learn a trade.

get a cdl or become a welder (with papers)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Kid missed 5 days last year for a trip to Hawaii because he was the ring bearer in a friends wedding. 
Not going to have them miss out on potential once in a lifetime things like that because they need to practice writing their spelling words.

I don't think kids spend as much time learning to actually write vs using a keyboard.   My youngest was never taught cursive and even 3 years into college his handwriting is about like a 4th grader.  But then lots of kids his age are at the same level.  But he can hammer out texts on a phone in record time.

Another thing that is weighing on this generation is actually finding something they can do as a career that isn't destined to be impacted to some degree by AI or robotics.  That also leads to pretty much everyone already in the workforce too.  The old ways of doing things are rapidly changing, and the valuation of what an individual can bring to society will have to change.  Humans have the capacity to produce and that's what has given purpose to our lives for centuries.   But what happens when that production is done more efficiently by robots or AI systems?   Then what do humans do with their time?  What do they have coming in to support themselves and their families?  

Or do we scale back from the efficiency of those systems in order to keep humans viable?   All this plays into the apathy too for a lot of these kids.  A shrinking job market, no company loyalty, unaffordable housing, etc.  

16 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I don't think kids spend as much time learning to actually write vs using a keyboard.   My youngest was never taught cursive and even 3 years into college his handwriting is about like a 4th grader.  But then lots of kids his age are at the same level.  But he can hammer out texts on a phone in record time.

Another thing that is weighing on this generation is actually finding something they can do as a career that isn't destined to be impacted to some degree by AI or robotics.  That also leads to pretty much everyone already in the workforce too.  The old ways of doing things are rapidly changing, and the valuation of what an individual can bring to society will have to change.  Humans have the capacity to produce and that's what has given purpose to our lives for centuries.   But what happens when that production is done more efficiently by robots or AI systems?   Then what do humans do with their time?  What do they have coming in to support themselves and their families?  

Or do we scale back from the efficiency of those systems in order to keep humans viable?   All this plays into the apathy too for a lot of these kids.  A shrinking job market, no company loyalty, unaffordable housing, etc.  

UBI is going to be a necessity in the relatively near future.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - what a bunch of bitches.

I skipped class in HS for important reasons - like smoking weed and fucking my girlfriend when our parents weren't home.

This, but also we had to be savvy and learn how to check in first period and get counted present before sneaking past security guards in parking lots so it didn’t alert anyone. It was all paper based and manual though, now it’s probably automated and the parking lots are harder to escape.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

UBI is going to be a necessity in the relatively near future.

UBI + AI might be 1 solution to help shore back up the middle class and lift more people out of poverty. That's my hope. I want that Star Trek economy!!

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, YChang said:

UBI + AI might be 1 solution to help shore back up the middle class and lift more people out of poverty. That's my hope. I want that Star Trek economy!!

Too bad it will never happen in this country because a bunch of poor people think they will become billionaires and everyone should just pull themselves up by the bootstraps 

Edited by hobbes2702

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Too bad it will never happen in this country because a bunch of poor people think they will become billionaires and everyone should just pull themselves up by the bootstraps 

Well... to be fair, it's already happened and being tried in various cities/communities in the US. So what I'm saying is..Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Education, healthcare, and trades careers all should be relatively safe from AI.  Manufacturing, tech, retail, and transportation are doomed.  Rather than UBI, a 30 hour work week is where I would start to mitigate the downside of the societal change, but it has to be paired with universal healthcare and a dramatic increase in minimum wage.

2 hours ago, YChang said:

We will need replicators to eliminate scarcity, which will create a moneyless society.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

This, but also we had to be savvy and learn how to check in first period and get counted present before sneaking past security guards in parking lots so it didn’t alert anyone. It was all paper based and manual though, now it’s probably automated and the parking lots are harder to escape.

Teachers do attendance online and parents can get texts if their kid misses class. This would have sucked ass when I was in school. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, BeardIP said:

That said, I still will randomly get nightmares where I am in school and have forgotten I registered for a class and have been missing them. I wake up relieved I'm not failing a random class I took 25+ years ago.

11 hours ago, F250 said:

That's one of my most common reoccurring dreams and they are stressful. The other common one is about me needing to get ready for a h.s. football game that is about to start but I realize I am too old to play.

Exact same on both of these. And I wake up feeling terrible and be like I need to be medicated. I don’t think I’ve actually gotten to play a snap in any of my dreams the last 20+ years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, YChang said:

Y[ch]ang, is that you?

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Exact same on both of these. And I wake up feeling terrible and be like I need to be medicated. I don’t think I’ve actually gotten to play a snap in any of my dreams the last 20+ years. 

Oh man, the football dream. Weird how we have similar reoccurring brain activity.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Kid missed 5 days last year for a trip to Hawaii because he was the ring bearer in a friends wedding. 
Not going to have them miss out on potential once in a lifetime things like that because they need to practice writing their spelling words.

Not an attack on you but I don’t see how K-12 grades work if there are always kids out of school for non-emergencies. Or has school become completely worthless and now operate only as babysitters?

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not an attack on you but I don’t see how K-12 grades work if there are always kids out of school for non-emergencies. Or has school become completely worthless and now operate only as babysitters?

You think school doesn't work if kids miss 5 days?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wut?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If one kid misses 5 days? No. If random kids are out every week? Yes. I don’t see how new lesson plans are taught if the teacher constantly starts over.

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If one kid misses 5 days? No. If random kids are out every week? Yes. I don’t see how new lesson plans are taught if the teacher constantly starts over.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

You think lesson plans start over every time a kid misses a class? You have in fact been to a school before, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

So if a kid has the ability to miss up to 10% of school days -- 18 day in Texas -- but my kid has missed 3 days, are these like vacation days at work? Can he just cash them in at the end of the year and end it three weeks early?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Biggest issue my wife's school faces is lack of substitute teachers. No one wants to sub as pay sucks and kids treat subs like their parents treat school.

Without subs they have to split the class into other classes for the day...so your class of 25 3rd graders just because 30+ for the day even though you only have room for 25 desks.... Etc...

If you’re old enough to be a parent, school is very different now than it was when you attended.

It’s not just kids missing school.  Our teachers are so overextended and/or leaving for other careers that my kid at a high school in Austin has a sub in one class or another at least twice a week.  Sometimes it’s a teacher that just had other duties that day, field trip for some club, an event they were coaching, etc.. and the absence was planned ahead with notification. But often it’s a teacher that just got sick of all the shit and up and quit with little or no advance notice and the kids are stuck with rotating subs long term. 

You’d be shocked at the number of times I asked my kid what they did in a certain class that day and the response is something like, ”We had a sub again  and they told us to read some stuff that we had already read last week. So everyone just fucked around on our phones the whole time instead.”   This happens at least once a week usually more across all classes.  

My kid gets good grades, he catches up quickly most of the time when he misses a day, so yeah, given the current environment of underfunded public school and overextended underpaid teachers, I am not sweating pulling him out of school, so we can take a family trip or see the eclipse or whatever. just about every lesson and all the work included for it I s online these days. Usually he can accomplish it the day of the absence on his chrome book without even asking a teacher what he missed.

The idea that some teacher is going to back up and re-teach something for absences is just not how it works.  

• Rage+1 2

14 hours ago, MrBig said:

We used to tell our friends who worked office assistant in the morning to pick up the attendance sheets and erase our names from the absent list. Kids are just as truant as they’ve ever been but now they cannot get around the technology that counts them absent.

grace.jpg.1c6d1c145aac8c8b2cd61c5677bf5a33.jpg

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I don’t think anybody’s really keeping track of excused versus unexcused absences. At least not at our high school. I just write a note that says Please excuse ______ from school for an appointment yesterday.”  I don’t tell anybody what the appointment was for and nobody asks, and we’ve never had an issue with it.  Sometimes it’s a legit doctors appointment. Sometimes it’s an appointment to beat traffic to get out of town easier. 

The flip side is that we don’t budge an inch on his keeping up with the work and getting assignments turned in on time. He screws that up every now and then, and there are consequences for it.  He knows that “I missed that day,” is not a valid excuse for late work. But mostly he gets it all done and turned in on time absent or not.  There’s a good life lesson in that as well.  

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

If you’re old enough to be a parent, school is very different now than it was when you attended.

It’s not just kids missing school.  Our teachers are so overextended and/or leaving for other careers that my kid at a high school in Austin has a sub in one class or another at least twice a week.  Sometimes it’s a teacher that just had other duties that day, field trip for some club, an event they were coaching, etc.. and the absence was planned ahead with notification. But often it’s a teacher that just got sick of all the shit and up and quit with little or no advance notice and the kids are stuck with rotating subs long term. 

You’d be shocked at the number of times I asked my kid what they did in a certain class that day and the response is something like, ”We had a sub again  and they told us to read some stuff that we had already read last week. So everyone just fucked around on our phones the whole time instead.”   This happens at least once a week usually more across all classes.  

My kid gets good grades, he catches up quickly most of the time when he misses a day, so yeah, given the current environment of underfunded public school and overextended underpaid teachers, I am not sweating pulling him out of school, so we can take a family trip or see the eclipse or whatever. just about every lesson and all the work included for it I s online these days. Usually he can accomplish it the day of the absence on his chrome book without even asking a teacher what he missed.

The idea that some teacher is going to back up and re-teach something for absences is just not how it works.  

At the school I teach our two AP Lang teachers both quit in the first semester last year leaving students with long terms subs for a major AP class all year lol. In Social Studies we don't have much of a problem with this but in math and science especially they have teachers randomly quitting all the time. I also have kids who miss literally the entire semester. I have no idea where they are skipping to but they never show up except for maybe the very end of the 9 weeks. The biggest crazy thing I see now is kids constantly skipping test day and expecting to just auto make it up without notifying me even in my AP history classes. It's like kids have zero sense of respect or how to interact with authority anymore since Covid. And the parents don't either. Millennial parents are either completely apathetic or they are overbearing. There is no in between with them. And I honestly don't give a fuck. They pay us shit in Austin area compared to the cost of living and I have basically three different jobs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I don’t think anybody’s really keeping track of excused versus unexcused absences. At least not at our high school. I just write a note that says Please excuse ______ from school for an appointment yesterday.”  I don’t tell anybody what the appointment was for and nobody asks, and we’ve never had an issue with it.  Sometimes it’s a legit doctors appointment. Sometimes it’s an appointment to beat traffic to get out of town easier. 

The flip side is that we don’t budge an inch on his keeping up with the work and getting assignments turned in on time. He screws that up every now and then, and there are consequences for it.  He knows that “I missed that day,” is not a valid excuse for late work. But mostly he gets it all done and turned in on time absent or not.  There’s a good life lesson in that as well.  

Most of our parents for on level kids don't seem to hardly care how their kids are doing in school. I rarely get an email from them.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

You think lesson plans start over every time a kid misses a class? You have in fact been to a school before, right? 

you really butt hurt that I called out your Hawaii vacation?

In fact I wasn't even calling you out, but there must be some underlying emotion that you're feeling about the trip and your kid missing school. You should have that checked out. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

7 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Oh man, the football dream. Weird how we have similar reoccurring brain activity.

I have the one where I can't find my cleats so I am forced to start the game barefoot.  Which I then realize in my sleep can't be real so I wake up.

Probably took my subconscious 20 years to stop getting anxiety when the peak summer heat is raging in late July/ early August because doubles are starting soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

35 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Similar to this is I've noticed everything is online already.

Lessons are online in the "school portal" so if they miss something they log in and can do it anyway. At home or wherever, and seemingly whenever.

At my kids' schools if they've missed something, or even forgotten to turn things in -- which I jump on them for -- the teacher lets them make it up or even turn it in weeks later. Really helps me to teach them about planning, preparation and a good work ethic.

9 hours ago, MrBig said:

Teachers do attendance online and parents can get texts if their kid misses class. This would have sucked ass when I was in school. 

Was thinking of this thread today, and how it related to the (very) small K12 that I and my siblings attended.

Dad had a small business in town, and it was a block or so from the HS principal's home.  The principal would drive to his house each day for lunch (he lived a mile or so from the school) and back.

If I fucked up or skipped in the morning, he'd stop by dad's business and tell him about it.  If I fucked up or skipped in the afternoon, he'd stop by dad's business and tell him about it.  I never had a chance.  And neither did my sister.

He retired after my sister graduated, and the new principal didn't live close to the school, or drive anywhere for lunch.  The new principal did things differently. When my brother fucked up, he would send home a notice.  Dad didn't like getting the notices in the mail; he wanted to deal with whatever it was that day.

One day, dad received a notice (my brother fucked up a lot) and that was enough.  He gathered up the small pile of notices, drove to the high school and asked to meet with the principal.  He explained he was tired of getting the notices in the mail, and asked how this could stop.   The principal told him that he had to do this because my brother was a fuckup.

Dad agreed that my brother was a fuckup, but he said he didn't want to see the notices any longer.  When the principal started to protest; dad simply told him to do whatever he wanted to my brother and not to bother letting him know what he did.  The principal smiled, said he understood and that was that.

For the rest of my brother's sophomore year and his remaining years, we have no idea what the principal did to my brother.  My brother has said life was hell on him at times, however.

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In fact I wasn't even calling you out, but there must be some underlying emotion that you're feeling about the trip and your kid missing school. You should have that checked out. 

Actually you were calling me out.

But no I don’t have an issue with a 1st grader missing 5 days of school lol. He completed all assignments before he left and we coordinated with the teacher so he was doing his work in Hawaii. 
Somehow he managed to get all A’s…in 1st grade, despite that miss.

I also think life experiences are important. Particularly things that he is already interested in learning more about. There’s a lot more to Hawaii than sitting on the beach.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Your statement is just very perplexing. Were you homeschooled? And I don't mean that in a negative way. I just have to assume that someone that thinks a kid missing class means the teacher starts the lesson plan over lacks some common life experience and perspective on how schools actually work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm sure you know this but I wanted to remind everyone that the way the school gets money is to have students in class.

The school has to pay for the teacher, the building, the admin, the custodians ... everyone who keeps the school open.  If you miss five class days to go to Hawaii, the school does not make revenue for those days to pay everyone who works there.  Each family taking a few days off across the district adds up to a ton of lost revenue.

Lots of us donate to our schools above and beyond what is asked, but if you are going to go on vacation and miss school, you might consider asking them what their daily revenue per student is and cutting them a check, just to make up for not being there.

2 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I'm sure you know this but I wanted to remind everyone that the way the school gets money is to have students in class.

The school has to pay for the teacher, the building, the admin, the custodians ... everyone who keeps the school open.  If you miss five class days to go to Hawaii, the school does not make revenue for those days to pay everyone who works there.  Each family taking a few days off across the district adds up to a ton of lost revenue.

Lots of us donate to our schools above and beyond what is asked, but if you are going to go on vacation and miss school, you might consider asking them what their daily revenue per student is and cutting them a check, just to make up for not being there.

This is just completely missing the actual problem. Our schools are underfunded and it ain’t because kids aren’t attending.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Well, let me be clear—yet again:

K-12 is underfunded and college tuition is out of control because of 1 main, huge, giant reason—their state governments are purposely underfunding them and have been for decades. This has been happening in *certain* states for a long, long time. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I have the one where I can't find my cleats so I am forced to start the game barefoot.  Which I then realize in my sleep can't be real so I wake up.

Probably took my subconscious 20 years to stop getting anxiety when the peak summer heat is raging in late July/ early August because doubles are starting soon.

I always have the missing cleats dream as well, but the rest of the gear is the real primo stuff. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

We give plenty to our school that I'm sure more than makes up for the lost revenue from the missed days. But no, I'm not taking responsibility for the shit poor way our state funds our schools. I will however continue to advocate and vote for proper funding.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

this hits home for 2 reasons.

1.  i have a 14 month old so these issues will become my issues sooner than later.

2.  i'm rewatching The Wire and i'm on Season 4.  i think Season 4 should be mandatory viewing for anybody who wants to know about the state of public education in America.  it's probably not as dire as Baltimore in every major ISD, but i bet it's way closer than you think.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

The woman that was reporting all of this on the radio the other day specifically spoke to this. It’s not because of one child.  But she specifically said that the curriculum is slowed for everyone because of the kids that can’t keep up, and they are covering incrementally less material each year.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The woman that was reporting all of this on the radio the other day specifically spoke to this. It’s not because of one child.  But she specifically said that the curriculum is slowed for everyone because of the kids that can’t keep up, and they are covering incrementally less material each year.  

This is sort of a separate issue. I think you're talking about the reporting on the kids missing 10% of school year. I'm talking about taking a child out of school here and there for a handful of days a year.