John Calipari to Arkansas?

naija

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Boosters hired him at UK as well, probably why Cal and Barnhart were never all that cozy with each other. 

I need to send Jerry some Hoes as a Thank You gift. 

75 year old boosters that don't even follow college basketball thinking this was a big time move is the exact formula UK needed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Oh for fucks sake, go fuck yourself Jerry. Willing to hire a real coach for your alma maters basketball team but not for your multi billion dollar NFL franchise. JFC I hate this man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Since the transfer portal started, I don't think Cal has advanced to the 2nd weekend. 

This is the most enjoyable thing about the portal. The portal levels out the talent and exposes the coaches that were winning simply because they were buying recruits. Coach Cal is one of those IMO. 

I posted that above. Since NIL, he has not done well in the NCAAT but has still won at a very high level in regular season and earned high seed in NCAAT. 

Clearly hasn’t had recent success in single elimination setting. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jim Rome is going to be a must listen tomorrow. He’s boys with Cal. He went on a 10 minute rant recently defending Cal and urging Big Blue Nation to chill. 

Today I learned that Jim Rome is still on the air. Tomorrow I will forget again.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

They haven’t lost their recruiting edge. They lost their coaching edge. They’ve had the best recruits for forever it just Cal is stuck in his system from the late 90s and won’t adjust. 

I really don’t think he was in danger of being fired at Arkansas; he stayed there longer than he’s been anywhere else. . I really think he went to USC more for personal reasons. He will soon be 60. He’s from SoCal and his mom is in her 80’s. The kids will soon be out of the house and wife will want to restart her broadcasting career.

5 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I really don’t think he was in danger of being fired at Arkansas; he stayed there longer than he’s been anywhere else. . I really think he went to USC more for personal reasons. He will soon be 60. He’s from SoCal and his mom is in her 80’s. The kids will soon be out of the house and wife will want to restart her broadcasting career.

Wut? The post you quoted was me talking about Cal, not Muss

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It would be idiotic for him to leave UConn. He’s a Northeast guy. He is in the perfect situation at UConn. There is no football to deal with and he can recruit anywhere he likes. It makes me happy to see Kentucky show desperation.

• Hook 'Em 3

I mean what would that number be vs what he makes at UConn? He’s already won 2 titles so it’s not like he hasn’t already checked off the most important goal as a coach. Why not check off make the most money in history box as well. Not saying he won’t but first i would have to see what that number per year is. 

From The list I found on Google Hurley isn’t even in the top 25 of highest paid coaches right now. If that is accurate and they offer him some 10-15 mill a year job and UConn can’t come close to matching why wouldn’t he leave? Kelvin Sampson makes 5 mill at Houston. So UConn will have to pony up to keep him if he even cares about money. I mean who wouldn’t want a 10 million dollar raise?

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

From The list I found on Google Hurley isn’t even in the top 25 of highest paid coaches right now. If that is accurate and they offer him some 10-15 mill a year job and UConn can’t come close to matching why wouldn’t he leave? Kelvin Sampson makes 5 mill at Houston. So UConn will have to pony up to keep him if he even cares about money. I mean who wouldn’t want a 10 million dollar raise?

I think his pay is in the top 10.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

It also appears that he has a nice bonus lined up 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2024/04/09/uconn-coach-dan-hurley-bonus-championship/73255649007/

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok the one I looked at didn’t even have him in the top 25 for 2024. But let’s say Kentucky offers him 12 mill a year and he only gets 7 at UConn. 5 million is hard for anyone to leave on the table especially if you’ve checked off the boxes as a coach. Will be interesting to see what the Kentucky offer will be if they even offer and it’s not just some dumb twitter reporter making shit up. 

I don’t think the money is what drives the Hurley boys. Their father could have left the high school job many times. There are plenty of other jobs in the northeast. They are gym rats. Basketball is what they do. I think Jay Wright is similar in that respect. All they want to do is coach basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is the extra $5 million worth it when you already have things rolling at a *new* blue blood?

He said something last night where he just got his wife to that area to be near family and taking the Kentucky job would be like asking for a divorce, or something along those lines. 

Money drives fans, and it doesn’t necessarily drive coaches and their motivations.

• Hook 'Em 1

Let's see ...

If Kentucky had fired Calipari they would have owed him about $35 million.

Calipari is going to sign a 5 year contract with the Toothless Hillbillies for about $8 million annually. An amount below what he would be paid at Kentucky.

3 weeks ago, Kentucky announced the start up of a new NIL fund in which Calipari was involved, La Familia. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-image-likeness/news/kentucky-basketball-john-calipari-launching-new-nil-fund-jon9

Gentlemen... there appears to be a polecat in the woodpile regarding this move.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It would be idiotic for him to leave UConn. He’s a Northeast guy. He is in the perfect situation at UConn. There is no football to deal with and he can recruit anywhere he likes. It makes me happy to see Kentucky show desperation.

Desperation would be when Tom Crean, Steve Alford or Travis Ford’s phones ring.  Don’t think they’re at that point yet.  Hell, per twitterverse, the UK AD hasn’t even been notified by Cal that he’s leaving. 

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Desperation would be when Tom Crean, Steve Alford or Travis Ford’s phones ring.  Don’t think they’re at that point yet.  Hell, per twitterverse, the UK AD hasn’t even been notified by Cal that he’s leaving. 

maybe he’ll stay to piss off the fans and AD

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

45 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The Big East is a basketball-centric conference. It isn’t going to die.

There’s too much money and history that certain folks in the northeast will not let it die. 

It won't die, but I'm not sure about there being too much money.  Athletic departments can't survive off basketball money, especially if they are having to pay their coaches top 10 money.

44 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

It won't die, but I'm not sure about there being too much money.  Athletic departments can't survive off basketball money, especially if they are having to pay their coaches top 10 money.

basketball is much cheaper to run than either baseball or obviously football.  especially if your arena doesn't cost a lick.

NIL might make that cost change

If this has already been discussed, then please ignore.  There is a rumor floating around that there is a love triangle involving 3 of the UA basketball team players.  I'm pretty sure Muss is trying to get as far away from that as possible.  I don't keep track of the team so I'm not sure who the 3 players are.  It would bring a dynamic to practice/games that is hard to manage.  This probably wasn't in the sales pitch to Cal.

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, ark_longhorn said:

If this has already been discussed, then please ignore.  There is a rumor floating around that there is a love triangle involving 3 of the UA basketball team players.  I'm pretty sure Muss is trying to get as far away from that as possible.  I don't keep track of the team so I'm not sure who the 3 players are.  It would bring a dynamic to practice/games that is hard to manage.  This probably wasn't in the sales pitch to Cal.

lol. Currently there are 0 players on the Arkansas roster. 

16 minutes ago, ark_longhorn said:

Robot Wtf GIF

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ark_longhorn said:

Maybe that whole taking his shirt off bit attracted some recruits with different lifestyles...

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ark_longhorn said:

You are way behind. This has already been played out during the season. Those dudes will be gone. 

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You are way behind. This has already been played out during the season. Those dudes will be gone. 

Yep, Tramon Mark and Devo Davis went into the portal and Trevon Brazile went pro 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What is the future risk that the "Big East" will die like the PAC 12 ???

It already happened and the conference successfully remade itself. None of the teams that are left aside from UConn even have an FBS program and they're the premier non P4 conference for BB already so there's no appeal for anyone to go anywhere else, other than maybe for UConn to end up in a remade ACC if things fall apart there.

4 minutes ago, NCMountaineer said:

It already happened and the conference successfully remade itself. None of the teams that are left aside from UConn even have an FBS program and they're the premier non P4 conference for BB already so there's no appeal for anyone to go anywhere else, other than maybe for UConn to end up in a remade ACC if things fall apart there.

Not to mention the Big East has won 4 of the last 8 NCAA titles (Nova x2, UConn x2).  Not to mention 3 runners-up from non-P2 conferences (Gonzaga x2, SDSU)

Basketball isn't football.  

• Hook 'Em 1

They are not going to let a conference with historic teams, games, and coaches and who plays in the most iconic arena in basketball just die and go away.

That just isn’t going to happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1