Let's get ready to Rumble! - Torchy's vs. Velvet Taco

18 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Torchy’s trailer park queso or whatever it’s called is legit great and those who disagree can fuck off. 

I used to like torchys but the last time I ate there the tacos were just disgusting sodium bombs. 

Their queso I still like - but not enough for me to eat there.

As for Velvet Taco I just don't understand what gap it is supposed to fill in the cuisine landscape. I liked it pretty well when it was new and trendy and I was in college in Dallas but I've never felt like I needed to go eat there again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Torchys is garbage.  Their queso is good but so is the queso at plenty of other places. Everything else on the menu is just cheap dogshit ingredients on cardboard tortillas  

I’ve only had Velvet Taco a couple times and it isn’t great.  It’ll do in a pinch, like when every other restaurant in Hobby Airport is under renovation or between ownership.  I guess their gimmick is to put non-taco foods into taco form.  Meh.  The Indian food one is ok.  The brisket one isn’t.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Casa Linda’s.

The prices of tacos are too damn high and it’s mostly these two shitheads contributing to it. Literally any place south of 71/290 can put out anything better.

Too Damn High Rent GIF

Torchys is not e step above fucking Fuzzy’s. Velvet is better and doesn’t have the reeking hipster attitude. I don’t eat at any of them as there are so many independent joints that are better in every way. None of these joints can compare to Salsa Limon in ft worth or Maria Bonita or Tic Taco or 2 Compas in Arlington.

About every 12 months, I’ll be hungry and looking around and see a Velvet Taco near where I work. “I haven’t had that in a while. Why don’t I go there more often?”

45 minutes later as I’m walking out: “I’m never eating that fucked up shit again.”

I don’t ever even ponder entering a Torchy’s.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like Velvet Taco better, but they’re both snacks. Too small to be a meal unless you order 5 a la carte tacos at $5.50 each. 

Are you a competitive eater or something? If 5 tacos from either place is how you qualify a meal, you’re either that or posting 4+bills and need two chairs for your seating.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

About every 12 months, I’ll be hungry and looking around and see a Velvet Taco near where I work. “I haven’t had that in a while. Why don’t I go there more often?”

45 minutes later as I’m walking out: “I’m never eating that fucked up shit again.”

I don’t ever even ponder entering a Torchy’s.

Are you a competitive eater or something? If 5 tacos from either place is how you qualify a meal, you’re either that or posting 4+bills and need two chairs for your seating.  

I was trying to make a joke about their small portions and high prices. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was trying to make a joke about their small portions and high prices. 

Then my joke is that I don't think you've eaten at either place with that take or you are a gigantic tub of goo with a shadow that weighs forty-two pounds. Both places put out tacos that are trend from normal to extra large in terms of portions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, deadshank said:

The tacos at both of those places are so white they could get a fair trial. 

holy fucking shit.  I'm sure that you didn't originate that, but I don't fucking care, I am going to steal it and use it so often that I may wear the actual words out.

And seeing everyone here shit on those two places does my heart good.  My wife likes Torchy's.  My wife is pura gringa.  The only thing worth a shit there is the queso.  I eat at Velvet Taco occasionally.  Why?  Because it's a couple of blocks from my office, and cheap, quick lunch options are limited.  I would never choose it as a destination.  

This town has 11 million places with actual good tacos, from the old-school east side mexican places (hit Angie's or Joe's or Beto's), or any number of taco trailers (the best tacos I've had in downtown Austin?  EASY: when one of the nearby buildings was under construction, a taco truck would show up every day at around 11:45 to sell grub to the workers.  I'd line up with all the dudes in orange vests and hardhats, and get 3 tacos for $6.  And they were fantastic.  Broke my heart when construction wrapped up.).  And I don't mean in a fancy "food trailer park."  I mean in a goddamned gas station parking lot.  Just go to any of them, any single one, and every taco you get will be 1) much better than either of those gringo places, and 2) cheaper.

Godawlmighty, shitty hipster gringo tacos make me ragey.

fist-mad.gif

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4

Torchy’s tortillas are a no-go.  It wasn’t long ago that a Torchy’s was the closest restaurant to my house, and I went maybe 3 times out of sheer convenience.  It ain’t that fucking hard to make or purchase a decent tortilla.  It’s a shame, because I would grab some of their quirky offerings from time to time if their tortilla’s didn’t fucking suck. But they fucking suck. I’m also white enough to get a fair trial.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Torchys is not e step above fucking Fuzzy’s. Velvet is better and doesn’t have the reeking hipster attitude. I don’t eat at any of them as there are so many independent joints that are better in every way. None of these joints can compare to Salsa Limon in ft worth or Maria Bonita or Tic Taco or 2 Compas in Arlington.

There is absolutely nothing hipster about Torchy's. Not one thing other than unjustifiably high prices, which Velvet shares with them. 

• The portions are not small at either location.  A typical taco truck or gas station offering is 3-5 street tacos on corn tortillas.  Torchys or Velvet is like 1, maybe 2, tacos.  If you're eating more than 2 Torchy's tacos in one sitting, you're probably a fat ass
  • Velvet is way more hipster than Torchy's, with their signage and "fusion," which seems like it went out of style like half a decade ago
  • Torchy's queso beats all, but it ain't worth the crappy tortillas

In sum, I agree fully with Brisket.  Gas station or taco truck tacos >>>>>> Torchys/Velvet.  They serve such a limited purpose - Torchy's is somehow inoffensive enough to be "just okay" for your white people office lunch and Velvet thrives as a place for post-drinking sustenance. 

And as someone else said, no breakfast tacos, no dice.  You're not worth my time. 

Comparing Torchy’s or Velvet to taqueria tacos is apples and oranges to me. Sure, both are tortillas wrapped around a filling just like apples and oranges are both fruits. The comparison ends there. They are completely different products and it’s not some sort of crime against humanity to like both.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

I'ma say the same thing I say every time this subject comes up. Authentic Mexican tacos are delicious, and so is whatever I order at Torchy's on the rare occasion I eat there. Two totally different things, but I understand that wasn't the point of the thread.

Velvet has sucked since they sold out. I was going there when it was a single location at Henderson and 75 and it was awesome. Not anymore.

Torchy's isn't as good as it once was either, but I still like it (tortillas be damned). And yeah, the queso rules.

Edited by threesheets
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, royiv said:

Comparing Torchy’s or Velvet to taqueria tacos is apples and oranges to me. Sure, both are tortillas wrapped around a filling just like apples and oranges are both fruits. The comparison ends there. They are completely different products and it’s not some sort of crime against humanity to like both.

Good point.

I want to go to this new Euro/Texan place called Blue Tuba at the old Harold's In the Heights location in Houston. It sounds absurd. They have "tacos" on their menu, apparently, that will make Velvet's seem traditional. 

I'm surprised Taco Deli wasn't lumped in with these two in that article. All three overpriced, over-conceptualized tacos for day-drinking Circle C MILFs. 

It's kinda sad because I feel like the original Taco Deli on Spyglass was really good when they first opened 20 years ago...

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good point.

I want to go to this new Euro/Texan place called Blue Tuba at the old Harold's In the Heights location in Houston. It sounds absurd. They have "tacos" on their menu, apparently, that will make Velvet's seem traditional. 

Read about that place on Culturemap earlier this week. Check it out and report back in new Houston restaurants thread.

17 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I've never had a good taco at any place that's supposed to be a euphemism for a pussy.  They just open based on a gimmick name and hope the "69" factor brings people in.

Gash Taco Hut

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm surprised Taco Deli wasn't lumped in with these two in that article. All three overpriced, over-conceptualized tacos for day-drinking Circle C MILFs. 

It's kinda sad because I feel like the original Taco Deli on Spyglass was really good when they first opened 20 years ago...

Over-priced for sure, but not bad tasting.  At least TD has some ingredients you might find in Mexico.  And Circle C milfs are my jam. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Over-priced for sure, but not bad tasting.  At least TD has some ingredients you might find in Mexico.  And Circle C milfs are my jam. 

Yeah, I’m ok on Taco Deli. There are some tacos that are recognizable as Mexican. And I dig me an Otto with dona sauce. Again…not a place I really seek out, but if we’re placing an order, yeah, I want an Otto on flour.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Taco Deli is solid. Much rather eat there than Torchy's or Velvet. 

Again, it's not a gold medal or anything - it's still a gringo taco joint.  I'd generally rather eat at a taco trailer in a Shell parking lot.  But they DO have some items that are legit mexican enough, and tasty.  And yeah, the hot mom talent there is often pretty solid.

Also, I have an ambition to pick a Saturday evening, and do a "progressive taco trip" down N. Lamar between 183 and Rundberg.  There must be 20 different trailers and patio joints with picnic tables and colorful lights strung over them.  Take a few hours, and sample the wares from a half dozen one night?  Yes please.

20 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Taco Deli was really good originally.  They've changed the menu considerably and tossed a lot of my favorites, probably right around COVID when so many other things changed as well.  The puerco borracho was fantastic, would love to see it back on the menu but alas.  

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Taco Deli was really good originally.  They've changed the menu considerably and tossed a lot of my favorites, probably right around COVID when so many other things changed as well.  The puerco borracho was fantastic, would love to see it back on the menu but alas.  

I used to love it. But the last three times we've gone it's been total ass. My wife was a die-hard fan, but even she's out on it now. Maybe it's just the Slaughter location, which is closest to us.

Still not sure why they don't bottle and sell the dona sauce. I'd buy that shit by the gallon, although I prefer the green sauce from El Pollo Rico. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I used to love it. But the last three times we've gone it's been total ass. My wife was a die-hard fan, but even she's out on it now. Maybe it's just the Slaughter location, which is closest to us.

Still not sure why they don't bottle and sell the dona sauce. I'd buy that shit by the gallon, although I prefer the green sauce from El Pollo Rico. 

They do. Well, not bottles, but plastic containers. It's for sale at HEB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, I have an ambition to pick a Saturday evening, and do a "progressive taco trip" down N. Lamar between 183 and Rundberg.  There must be 20 different trailers and patio joints with picnic tables and colorful lights strung over them.  Take a few hours, and sample the wares from a half dozen one night?  Yes please.

I'll give you the tour. Haha. Friend and I were shitfaced last Friday and walked to some trailers from the house at 4:30 in the morning. That's the nice thing about this area...legit tacos 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I am with you, I listened to this last year and it made me want to do just that. 

https://www.kut.org/texasstandard/2023-01-31/austins-taco-mile-rundberg-lamar-tacos

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I am with you, I listened to this last year and it made me want to do just that. 

https://www.kut.org/texasstandard/2023-01-31/austins-taco-mile-rundberg-lamar-tacos

Hadn't seen that article, thanks.  So cool.  I get my hair cut up there (Bob's Barber shop), so I drive by all of them once a month.  I've stopped and grabbed tacos from a handful of random places, and they've all been good.