UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

The United States thankfully has very wide discretion of freedom of speech, which allows us to identify the true pieces of shit like you who can find ways to justify tossing out “Final Solution” at Jews.  This is garbage person shit, go crawl back in your fucking dumpster. 

You're incapable of looking at this issue objectively. There is no clear indication here that the term is being "tossed out at Jews" as you're claiming. The Palestinian people, huddled masses dependent on foreign aid due to decades of oppression and apartheid and, in the case of Gaza, life in an open-air prison, do not have anything close to the institutional power required to organize, much less carry out, a genocide.

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

You're incapable of looking at this issue objectively. There is no clear indication here that the term is being "tossed out at Jews" as you're claiming. The Palestinian people, huddled masses dependent on foreign aid due to decades of oppression and apartheid and, in the case of Gaza, life in an open-air prison, do not have anything close to the institutional power required to organize, much less carry out, a genocide.

You are justifying shithead behavior in the United States.  The person who made that sign has the right to do it and he is also a complete garbage person and people who try to make up excuses for it are also garbage. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But....EVEN IF THERE WERE....non-violent/non-threatening anti-semitism, or anti-muslim, or anti-gay, or anti-liberal, or anti-conservative, or anti-motherfuckers who serve red beans and rice without sausage when everyone knows red beans and rice comes WITH sausage, is 100% protected by the First Amendment and such speech cannot be repressed based on its content.

not even if you call it hate speech

The thing I find most interesting about all of this is that halfway across the globe, Israel can fuck the Palestinians and/or vice versa and it results in highly publicized clashes between protestors and law enforcement in the United States during an election year.

Heaven help us if someone farts in Eastern Europe.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’ve been negged on this site for saying portions of our fanbase are no different than A&M fans when it comes to social ad cultural issues. Thanks @52-80.

So?

There's also a large portion that have about as progressive views as you can. I thought diversity was a good thing. I would put diversity of thought in that bucket as well.

In an ideal world, universities encourage that sort of thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, lucious leftfoot said:

So?

There's also a large portion that have about as progressive views as you can. I thought diversity was a good thing. I would put diversity of thought in that bucket as well.

Show me where I said it was bad…

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, lucious leftfoot said:

So?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

We should not seek out and internalize all thought and ignore our own values just because it's different from our own. Society will invariably bend towards the wishes of those who wish to exclude and rule over others. 

Which wouldn't ya know it, is exactly what fuckin happened when Hartzell invited the jackboot riot cops into campus a day before the event and had em lining up before any protesters even started to arrive

Edited by Captainant

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Sorry to have to spell it out: It's a figure of speech. There is a meme going around that a keffiyeh on an American college campus is just a hipster swastika

That's a dumb meme. Star of David is more stylistically and content wise a better comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Oh come on.  I am sure that you can find something to jerk off to in this one.

image.thumb.png.5695fee0c3f735238ee96c52e57b767a.png

X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Captainant said:

None of what you are talking about is descriptive of what happened on Wednesday at UT. Why do you insist upon talking about everything EXCEPT what happened at Texas?

Fuck all you assholes for making me agree on anything with Captainant. Repeatedly. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You are justifying shithead behavior in the United States.  The person who made that sign has the right to do it and he is also a complete garbage person and people who try to make up excuses for it are also garbage. 

You are a garbage person. One day I hope you get to reckon with all the hatred you dedicate your life to spreading in this world

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t know, man. IF (huge qualifier there) the point is to use a very pointed phrase to call out the hypocrisy of the Jewish state appearing to be engaging in an ethnic genicide, that seems like fair play.  However, that sign is vague with regard to which country is/is not or should/should not be doing that to the other country. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Explains why you think the world is getting more dangerous.  You seek out stupid shit to be offended by and scared of.  

This statement is hilarious. Because for the past decade plus, it was considered “right wing coded”. 

The suggestion that “everything is fine, actually. things are better than ever. nobody is oppressing you that you need a safe space”  sent most of you in a fucking tizzy. 

27 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The thing I find most interesting about all of this is that halfway across the globe, Israel can fuck the Palestinians and/or vice versa and it results in highly publicized clashes between protestors and law enforcement in the United States during an election year.

Heaven help us if someone farts in Eastern Europe.

Amazing isn't it. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t know, man. IF (huge qualifier there) the point is to use a very pointed phrase to call out the hypocrisy of the Jewish state appearing to be engaging in an ethnic genicide, that seems like fair play.  However, that sign is vague with regard to which country is/is not or should/should not be doing that to the other country. 

Yeah, I think there is room for that sign to be interpreted as a call out regarding hypocrisy. But, it is vague enough and hits a sensitive enough topic that the overall presentation was a poor choice assuming that was the intent. So, it is either a poorly executed version of a good point or a really fucking evil sign. 

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

This statement is hilarious. Because for the past decade plus, it was considered “right wing coded”. 

The suggestion that “everything is fine, actually. things are better than ever. nobody is oppressing you that you need a safe space”  sent most of you in a fucking tizzy. 

That's a really interesting alternate reality you live you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, lucious leftfoot said:

So?

Who thinks like this? "We should allow dumb viewpoints that are not factually based to be disseminated everywhere in the name of having diverse opinions!"

Only a troll would say that.

• Hook 'Em 2

“Since the Israel-Hamas war began, the U.S. Education Department has launched civil rights investigations into dozens of universities and schools in response to complaints of antisemitism or Islamophobia. Among those under investigation are many colleges facing protests, including Harvard and Columbia.”

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/nation-world/israel-hamas-conflict/university-protests-israel-gaza/507-4fd0b2b4-fc48-4309-a099-690450425395

The article lists Emory, Emerson College, City College of New York, USC, Ohio State, UT, Indiana U Bloomington and so on.

My question is this: what if the groups were deranged MAGA folk. Would it be ok to shut down campus. Graduation ceremonies and the like? We’ve seen what’s happened at Columbia. What if the protestors were involved in Jan 6 and sitting outside government buildings in every state and you could see earlier encampments not leaving and becoming more emboldened? So just let the protests grow to what is happening in Columbia? Why aren’t they out in front of government buildings? The government is the only entity that can change the tide of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

I don’t give a fuck if no one here likes me or cares for my opinion. In many ways it’s why I post less and less on surly (most posters probably are relieved.) I donate when I can to the World Kitchen (bc I know my money is going to help.) the whole situation in Gaza is beyond my ability to help. It doesn’t mean I don’t feel for and love those people who are suffering. I do but I’m also not foolish enough to believe that we can force Israel to do much of anything. Neg away!

Still in Atlanta so The protestors are safe from me if they go strolling into the entertainment district for a cocktail after a wild day of trying to occupy campus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,1

Normal brain response. But there are apparently some posters that spend an inordinate amount of time gazing at that baton and thinking about the possibilities. 

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's a really interesting alternate reality you live you. 

Its extra sweet because you know its true — because you were in those discussions— but are too hardheaded to admit it. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

“Since the Israel-Hamas war began, the U.S. Education Department has launched civil rights investigations into dozens of universities and schools in response to complaints of antisemitism or Islamophobia. Among those under investigation are many colleges facing protests, including Harvard and Columbia.”

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/nation-world/israel-hamas-conflict/university-protests-israel-gaza/507-4fd0b2b4-fc48-4309-a099-690450425395

The article lists Emory, Emerson College, City College of New York, USC, Ohio State, UT, Indiana U Bloomington and so on.

My question is this: what if the groups were deranged MAGA folk. Would it be ok to shut down campus. Graduation ceremonies and the like? We’ve seen what’s happened at Columbia. What if the protestors were involved in Jan 6 and sitting outside government buildings in every state and you could see earlier encampments not leaving and becoming more emboldened? So just let the protests grow to what is happening in Columbia? Why aren’t they out in front of government buildings? The government is the only entity that can change the tide of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

I don’t give a fuck if no one here likes me or cares for my opinion. In many ways it’s why I post less and less on surly (most posters probably are relieved.) I donate when I can to the World Kitchen (bc I know my money is going to help.) the whole situation in Gaza is beyond my ability to help. It doesn’t mean I don’t feel for and love those people who are suffering. I do but I’m also not foolish enough to believe that we can force Israel to do much of anything. Neg away!

Still in Atlanta so The protestors are safe from me if they go strolling into the entertainment district for a cocktail after a wild day of trying to occupy campus. 

You're still not connecting to this to what happened at UT. Yes, if protesters violate the law, become threatening, dangerous, or violent, it is perfectly reasonable to call the cops. But, and this is the important, that didn't happen at UT. The protest was literally shut down before anyone did anything. So, your hypothetical is completely irrelevant to what actually happened. 

P.S. since you seemed confused on this point, the University of Texas is in fact a government entity. The Tower is a government building. They were in fact out in front of a government building.  Not that any of that really matters in regards to whether or not the right to assemble and free speech should be trampled. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

KVUE reporting isn't super clear, but it looks like all the trespass charges have been dropped?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/nation-world/israel-hamas-conflict/ut-austin-protests-charges-dropped/269-fd82fb7f-eeb6-4aeb-a8f9-edfbca08bcef

Seeking more info

Edit: it looks like they dropped 46 out of 55 cases, not sure what the 9 remaining details are

https://versustexas.com/blog/protests-in-texas/

Edited by Captainant

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Its extra sweet because you know its true — because you were in those discussions— but are too hardheaded to admit it. 

I've been in many discussions with you. I agree that your understanding of events is vastly different than mine. 

31 minutes ago, lucious leftfoot said:

So?

You guys don't make fun of texags and "aggys" solely because of their values and opinions. You make fun of them because they arrived at those beliefs by being some of the most persecution complex, afraid of their own shadow, delusional, conformation bias, unintellectually curious mother fuckers on the planet.

No, universities should not encourage "that sort of thing".

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Normal brain response. But there are apparently some posters that spend an inordinate amount of time gazing at that baton and thinking about the possibilities. 

c13525bfdf40a95fcd8b2fc531ee11bb_w200.gi

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don't care if you support Israel or if you support Gaza or whatever it may be. To be honest, it seems like a bad idea to have an opinion on a holy war. But I know what I saw in those videos. And I'm not OK with it. And you shouldn't be either.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Regarding Hartzell's involvement in this fiasco, does anyone think Bill Powers would have allowed this to happen?

I hope a well respected legal scholar wouldn’t have let it happen on his watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s almost like— and hear me out— people are looking for ways to be ambiguous and put “Final Solution” next to Jewish imagery and they shouldn’t be given the benefit of the doubt.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Anti-Semitism has been on that trajectory since, oh, let's say around 2016, and it isn't coming from young liberals on college campuses. That form of anti-Semitism has also been very clearly about the Jewish people ("i.e., "the Jews will not replace us..."). The current protests are against the Israeli government (i.e. "Free Palestine"). The difference is incredibly easy to identify, but somehow the nazi types get free speech wherever they go, and the young liberals get shut down by the fucking gestapo. Ultimately, I just can't take anyone seriously anymore if they refer to the current events as "anti-Semitism." 

Delusional

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 4

Yeah, a former state rep hosting a fundraiser for Abbott with Fuentes in attendance is just fine. But some students holding banners required 100 riot police and a dozen horses.  I Made that distinction clear to his comms team and you hear the cognitive dissonance over the phone.  

i depart from many of you in the question of Gaza/Hamas/Palestine, but that’s for another thread. 

this was purely a political stunt by three key people, funded by one, and enabled by another.  Answers will come but it’s gonna take awhile.  And a lot of alcohol.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Delusional

O'rly? I'm sure it was college liberals that have been shooting up synagogues and doing nazi salutes in Charlottesville. How does Abbott's ass taste?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You guys don't make fun of texags and "aggys" solely because of their values and opinions. You make fun of them because they arrived at those beliefs by being some of the most persecution complex, afraid of their own shadow, delusional, conformation bias, unintellectually curious mother fuckers on the planet.

No, universities should not encourage "that sort of thing".

I think you may have leaned on your confirmation bias to put so much extra sauce on this single sentence.

1 hour ago, lucious leftfoot said:

I’ve been negged on this site for saying portions of our fanbase are no different than A&M fans when it comes to social ad cultural issues.

I read this as simply meaning "conservative".

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Show me where I said it was bad…

Now, I did read it as a negative. You didn't say it was bad. Do you think it's bad?

42 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Who thinks like this? "We should allow dumb viewpoints that are not factually based to be disseminated everywhere in the name of having diverse opinions!"

I'm not sure how you got from thoughts on social and cultural issues to "dumb viewpoints that are not factually based". A lot of that is opinion and value based. Thus, the rub.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Still in Atlanta so the protestors are safe from me if they go strolling into the entertainment district for a cocktail after a wild day of trying to occupy campus. 

anchorman-anchor-man.gif

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Anti-Semitism has been on that trajectory since, oh, let's say around 2016, and it isn't coming from young liberals on college campuses. That form of anti-Semitism has also been very clearly about the Jewish people ("i.e., "the Jews will not replace us..."). The current protests are against the Israeli government (i.e. "Free Palestine"). The difference is incredibly easy to identify, but somehow the nazi types get free speech wherever they go, and the young liberals get shut down by the fucking gestapo. Ultimately, I just can't take anyone seriously anymore if they refer to the current events as "anti-Semitism." 

'From the river to the sea' is a protest against the Israeli government?

50 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

it's not a war it's a genocide

24 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s almost like— and hear me out— people are looking for ways to be ambiguous and put “Final Solution” next to Jewish imagery and they shouldn’t be given the benefit of the doubt.

how do you feel about the inclusion of a Palestinian flag (and the fact that only one of those flags' people are actually, right now, currently being herded into camps and starved to death?)

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

'From the river to the sea' is a protest against the Israeli government?

Funny, no reports of that one from the UT protests, so I guess we're just asking questions again? Let me guess, you're one of these people who think "Free Palestine" means "Go Hamas" because how dare anyone consider nuance.

Edit: And although not relevant to this discussion, I agree, that phrase is not helpful because too many bad actors in the Levant have used it in support of very bad things. Israel uses it too as justification for cleansing Gaza btw.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3