UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't been paying attention, they don't get my local news eyes, but I was under the impression that local Fox outlets weren't necessarily aligned with the FOX News perspective.  More generic, less insane.

Yeah, I can't remember the exact details but I think some local news conglomerate owns FOX7Austin as well as many other local Fox affiliates, buying out most/plurality  of the Johnson family ownership.  And they are relatively agnostic politically.  They still have a contractual obligation as an affiliate to provide studio space/production logistics to the big FOX network plus FoxNews/FoxBusiness.  Which is why you'll see Karl Rove or Dan Patrick in the studio with the Capitol backdrop.  But that's just done as a licensing courtesy.  I can't remember the ownership breakdown, but I remember it was a pretty 'independent' group that doesn't really give a shit, just wants the ad money.  

Think of KLBJ.  An asset once owned by the one of the most left-leaning families in the U.S. but is now a bat-shit insane MAGA bullhorn.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This might not be the place. I’ve thought about starting a new thread on the political board but wanted to check her first. 

this should be a time of coming together for left and right sides 

I’m conservative but have ties to UT from the 70s when my mom went there. 

i think the government was very heavy handed and it was an embarrassment to the state, period.  I hope the kids arrested are compensated in some way, but it will never make up for what happened. 

I hope people can see how closely this aligns with the second amendment. 

I’ve seen people on this board say fuck the second amendment, ban all guns. 

there’s no difference in punishing me for what I have because of actions of looney assholes who just want to kill. The same way the students were punished for New York and the order Ivy League schools. 

i hope this makes sense. It’s been on my heart since I watched the cameras that have been posted here many times. 

we have to support each other. We have to remember how innocent people and students are walking the line of multiple rights being stepped on because of the actions of bad players. 

Hookem

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, HendersonHorns said:

This might not be the place. I’ve thought about starting a new thread on the political board but wanted to check her first. 

i think the government was very heavy handed and it was an embarrassment to the state, period.  I hope the kids arrested are compensated in some way, but it will never make up for what happened. 

there’s no difference in punishing me for what I have because of actions of looney assholes who just want to kill. The same way the students were punished for New York and the order Ivy League schools. 

i hope this makes sense. It’s been on my heart since I watched the cameras that have been posted here many times. 

we have to support each other. We have to remember how innocent people and students are walking the line of multiple rights being stepped on because of the actions of bad players. 

Hookem

I can also go fuck myself and keep my account for burnt ends. 

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)

Someone at the Columbia protest has a bright future making DoD slide decks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4ee2e936134f63f261bc00b11df87a11.jpeg

image.jpeg.00eb76b9b625cf0c3c770f40a06ee088.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ffa6fc1db46b835920e8cf5ef10725b6.jpeg

There is really weird overlap and interplay between activist speak, HR speak, and biz school process mapping gibberish, I’ve noticed. Total cultural domination by the MBA set. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, HendersonHorns said:

Hookem

Christ on a cracker, don’t bring guns into this discussion. Talk about a derail if there ever was one.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Christ on a cracker, don’t bring guns into this discussion. Talk about a derail if there ever was one.

It’s about the bill of rights. It’s not specifically guns. 

but I understand. I’ll save it for a political topic. 

thanks for the feed back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Maybe he's making the point that if a single person had an AR-15, TXDPS would have been too terrified to do anything and camped out for a few hours instead of teakettling the students?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Captainant said:

Maybe he's making the point that if a single person had an AR-15, TXDPS would have been too terrified to do anything and camped out for a few hours instead of teakettling the students?

I don’t know if you’re being an asshole or if you’re being genuine. 

there’s a lot to that statement you made though. You’ve seen it across the country in the last few years. 

the second amendment protects the first. 

but really I’m out on this type of conversation here in the DT. I don’t want to get shit out of wack on this board and get things nuked. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, DDD Dad said:

I don't know why this term of reference bothers me so. Perhaps its because I'm half Jewish (father's side so not recognized as Jewish by ethnic/religious Jews).  But when people refer to Jewish people (as in, the adjective use of the term) as "Jew" rather than "Jewish", it comes across as anti-Semitic to me (e.g., "I have a Jew lawyer" instead of "my lawyer is Jewish"), or at the very least ignorant.  It carries the same derogatory connotation as when people refer to the "Democrat" Party instead of the "Democratic" Party.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there.

Apropos of nothing, agreed.  Jew feels pejorative.  It's not quite the same, but it's like c*nt feels more pejorative than the other anatomical labels.  Something linguistic about it that @RDCanecutter can explain, maybe.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Thoughts and prayers for this woman as she struggles with this rabid mob

That's insane.  The usual Karen at least requires some sort of unpleasant or high-tension episode to "speak to the manager."  This bitch just walks up on people and starts making shit up.

Louis C.K. has the best explanation of the terminology differentiator of Jew(s) than any Jewish person I know.  And I'm part Jewish.  

I wouldn't compare it with "cunt" though.  Brits, and other Europeans, throw it around and it's nowhere near as offensive to women as it is here in the U.S.  Just like some of our cuss words are woefully more offensive to them than they are to us.  

Most Jewish folks I know will self-identify as "I'm a Jew." rather than "I'm Jewish."  But I know lots that use them interchangeably.  And when referring to other members of the ethnicity, it's more often than not, at least here in the U.S., "The Jewish people this", "the Jewish population that."  But then go back to referring to just themselves "As a Jew...I think xyz."  It's mostly the same in Europe particularly among Sephardic Jews of which I am part.  Ashkenazis and Eastern European/Russian folks typically, at least in my little experience will use "Jewish" more than "Jew."  YMMV

The one thing you don't do, as I have to politely remind my in-laws of, is you never, ever use "Jew" as a fucking verb.  I have no fucking idea how that's still a thing.  

That's insane.  The usual Karen at least requires some sort of unpleasant or high-tension episode to "speak to the manager."  This bitch just walks up on people and starts making shit up.

She should be charged with making a false report.
And as she accused the people around her of criminal conduct, they could also support a defamation claim.

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Louis C.K. has the best explanation of the terminology differentiator of Jew(s) than any Jewish person I know.  And I'm part Jewish.  

I wouldn't compare it with "cunt" though.  Brits, and other Europeans, throw it around and it's nowhere near as offensive to women as it is here in the U.S.  Just like some of our cuss words are woefully more offensive to them than they are to us.  

Most Jewish folks I know will self-identify as "I'm a Jew." rather than "I'm Jewish."  But I know lots that use them interchangeably.  And when referring to other members of the ethnicity, it's more often than not, at least here in the U.S., "The Jewish people this", "the Jewish population that."  But then go back to referring to just themselves "As a Jew...I think xyz."  It's mostly the same in Europe particularly among Sephardic Jews of which I am part.  Ashkenazis and Eastern European/Russian folks typically, at least in my little experience will use "Jewish" more than "Jew."  YMMV

The one thing you don't do, as I have to politely remind my in-laws of, is you never, ever use "Jew" as a fucking verb.  I have no fucking idea how that's still a thing.  

Louis C.K still makes me sad. Funniest person ever. Huge creepy POS. Makes me disappoint. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Perhaps you missed the point of my my post. When used as a noun, Jew is fine. When used as an adjective, “my Jew lawyer”, not fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gotcha.  I read fast and miss details.  Absolutely as an adjective, and to your point and my other point, even grossly more offensive when used as a verb.  As in "I jewed him down on price at the garage sale."  

It speaks to that enigma that Louis C.K. describes.  There's a lot of races/ethnicities/nationalities that will get used by assholes as an adjective, "My Black friend", "My Muslim Co-Worker", "So this Mexican guy is speaking Mexican in front of me at 7-11 by this Indian guy."  But, at least here in the U.S. (I plead ignorance on most of the rest of the planet), you only hear "Jew" used as a verb and not really any other races/ethnicities.  I'm sure there are anecdotal exceptions but I've never heard, and I've been around a very big portion of this melting pot of ours, "So he Islam'd his way out of another meeting" or "Of course he Pole'd his way into a promotion" or "She El Salvador'd herself down on price."  

And the crazy part is 99% of the people that use "Jew" as an adjective/verb don't even know any.  Not saying it'd be right, but if there was some experience you had with a Jewish person and you walked away feeling like they were all bad/greedy.  Not right, but I see the bullshit 'logic.'  But hell, my in-laws use it as a verb.  And the only Jewish person they've ever met is me.  And I'm only 1/4.  It was less than ten years ago, they finally learned Jesus was raised as a practicing Jew.  From me.  But they still "Gotta Jew 'em down on interest rates at the bank there..."  I still don't get how that's still a thing after all these centuries.  

I mean, don't me wrong, I got 'Nepal'eased' by this coin dealer when I was living in South Florida.  

Perhaps you missed the point of my my post. When used as a noun, Jew is fine. When used as an adjective, “my Jew lawyer”, not fine. 

I had a Jewish girlfriend. Seems like the adjective is fine here.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You had a Jew girlfriend?  It’s using “Jew” as an adjective (instead of “Jewish”) that is the issue. 

Edited by DDD Dad

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

You had a Jew girlfriend?  It’s using “Jew” as an adjective that is the issue. 

“I had a girlfriend who is Jewish”. This phrasing should be used more often when the topic is sensitive and the adjective is not in person forward language. E.g. I have a “patient with obesity” rather than “the obese patient.”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

“I had a girlfriend who is Jewish”. This phrasing should be used more often when the topic is sensitive and the adjective is not in person forward language. E.g. I have a “patient with obesity” rather than “the obese patient.”

My whole point is that the word “Jew” is a noun, not an adjective. Using it as an adjective in place of the actual adjective term, “Jewish”, is pejorative, regardless of where it is placed in a sentence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Apropos of nothing, agreed.  Jew feels pejorative.  It's not quite the same, but it's like c*nt feels more pejorative than the other anatomical labels.  Something linguistic about it that @RDCanecutter can explain, maybe.

Oh Law, please don't drag my redneck ass into it. :) I've only been Jewish twice, when dealing with other rednecks who were mumbling something anti-semitic. It was a lie, but it helped fuck with rednecks so I'd do it again. Linguistically, all I have to add is, why isn't it called Anti-Shemetic? Sheems a bit like a shimple shibboleth.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Does this mean I can't saw "jewbies" anymore? Should I say "breasts of Jewish heritage"?

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

You had a Jew girlfriend?  It’s using “Jew” as an adjective (instead of “Jewish”) that is the issue. 

Raising a question…
Does this mean I can't saw "jewbies" anymore? Should I say "breasts of Jewish heritage"?

Glad someone asked.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was out with some mutual friends after a Moontower Comedy show years ago.  And Rachel Feinstein was there and hammered drunk.  And wearing this revealing dress (if you know her standup, she's pretty cute with a great figure).  And she was cracking up at something another comic said while trying to spit out her drink so she's rocking her head back and forth and for a split second, one her tits popped mostly out. and it was fantastic.  And the other guy, without skipping a beat, Shakes some mint box or tic-tacs (obviously not the candy by the same name, but he was johnny on the spot with the joke) and says "Hey Rache, nice juju-bees", and she actually spit the drink out.  I nearly ejaculated and pissed myself at the same time.  /csb

what were we talking about!  CEASE FIRE!  

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

They recycle that joke anytime a protetest happens. It was kind of funny the first time they did it like 5 years ago.

Oh Heblowmeus….such a delicate little flower. Even an old joke ruins your day.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, lucious leftfoot said:

Not to threadjack, but this is silly. 

You never say diabetic patient? Cardiac patient? Anemic patient? 

Why tiptoe around it? 

Besides, I prefer HEB+

It changes the emphasis. You wouldn't say the priapism patient, you would say the person with the dick problem.