UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

8 hours ago, Newdoc said:

“I had a girlfriend who is Jewish”. This phrasing should be used more often when the topic is sensitive and the adjective is not in person forward language. E.g. I have a “patient with obesity” rather than “the obese patient.”

reminds me of a Bill Burr bit...something about knowing to put the adjective in the right place...

ha, found it:

Edited by mchookem
yt>tt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Louis C.K. has the best explanation of the terminology differentiator of Jew(s) than any Jewish person I know.  And I'm part Jewish.  

I wouldn't compare it with "cunt" though.  Brits, and other Europeans, throw it around and it's nowhere near as offensive to women as it is here in the U.S.  Just like some of our cuss words are woefully more offensive to them than they are to us.  

Most Jewish folks I know will self-identify as "I'm a Jew." rather than "I'm Jewish."  But I know lots that use them interchangeably.  And when referring to other members of the ethnicity, it's more often than not, at least here in the U.S., "The Jewish people this", "the Jewish population that."  But then go back to referring to just themselves "As a Jew...I think xyz."  It's mostly the same in Europe particularly among Sephardic Jews of which I am part.  Ashkenazis and Eastern European/Russian folks typically, at least in my little experience will use "Jewish" more than "Jew."  YMMV

The one thing you don't do, as I have to politely remind my in-laws of, is you never, ever use "Jew" as a fucking verb.  I have no fucking idea how that's still a thing.  

When I compared it with cunt, I was referring to its linguistics, not it's meaning.  One-syllable word with a hard consonant to begin.  There's something about just saying it that makes it feel  . . . dirty or something.  Same with cunt.

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Can I use it as a verb?

Thats a really good question.  How would one use "Cunt" as a verb?

"Rochelle cunted her way on an erotic trip from Milan to Minsk?"  

I had to take one more writing course at UT summer before I graduated.  Can't remember the course title or professor name.  But he had this ice-breaker exercise where you had to write the most bizarre opening dialogue line to a novel and it HAD to be something you'd never hear in real life.  But  It had to make sense grammatically, couldn't just be inane banter (hence by B- in the class).  And then it had to flow from the sublime into a more normal prose.  The lesson was supposed to be something about drawing your audience in and then going with more conventional writing.  I can't remember what mine was.  But the clear winner of the day was the guy next to me, who read aloud.  Anyway, it was a really helpful exercise on how to grab your audience with the absurd, but plausible in some parallel universe and then roll into your normal narrative.  And nothing was off limits, his opening salvo was:  "Stop sucking my dick before I call the police."  I will remember that line until I'm in a nursing home trying to bang some cunt down the hall.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

My whole point is that the word “Jew” is a noun, not an adjective. Using it as an adjective in place of the actual adjective term, “Jewish”, is pejorative, regardless of where it is placed in a sentence. 

I feel like using “Jew” as an adjective is folksy, down-home, “don’t they have their own country clubs” anti-semitism. If someone uses “Jewry” or “the Jew” he probably owns a lot of Hugo Boss. 

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Eeew. No. That sounds racist-y.

I mean, you were right, at least back in my day. But still…you should be ashamed of yourself.

Well, it's not the n-wordesses.  We established that Jew as a noun is probably or completely ok, why can't we slap a feminine suffix on it?  Even if it's antiquated?

I still refrain from using "Jew" as a singular noun or verb  But as soon as you add a suffix, as in "Jewish" or "Jewess," I lose my distaste.  Jewish is fine.  Jew just rubs me wrong.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I feel like using “Jew” as an adjective is folksy, down-home, “don’t they have their own country clubs” anti-semitism. If someone uses “Jewry” or “the Jew” he probably owns a lot of Hugo Boss. 

I mean nigra is kinda folksy too.  It's the folksy ones we have to worry about these days.

I think Jewish people use the term Jewry with some frequency.

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Looking at the major US newspapers, the protests are lead over the events going on in Gaza.

What happens here and how we feel about it is clearly more important than coverage of the actual conflict which is now boring and played out. “Israel kills more Palestinians who don’t even have guns to fight back anymore” can only be written so many ways before people get bored and have to make it about them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

'Cunting'?  I suppose you want to deponent all the people out of Gaza?  

Gerund from Subway will not stand for this!  

I have to admit, I am morbidly curious to see what happens once Final Exams begin on Thursday on campus and then at commencement on 11 May.  The national finger-pointing has calmed a bit, but the media and other movement groups are just looking for another news cycle out of us.  

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

'Cunting'?  I suppose you want to deponent all the people out of Gaza?  

Gerund from Subway will not stand for this!  

I have to admit, I am morbidly curious to see what happens once Final Exams begin on Thursday on campus and then at commencement on 11 May.  The national finger-pointing has calmed a bit, but the media and other movement groups are just looking for another news cycle out of us.  

GW just announced they may cancel commencement. Lots of students cannot get into labs due to partial lockdowns. Impact finishing end of semester projects. Daughters boyfriend was supposed to walk on the 19th. Now he is not sure. He is pissed. He is Kurdish. Told me at lunch last week, well it is not like these protests are going to stop the war in Gaza. It is not like people do not know about it.

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So I received this letter from a visiting administrator Friday:

I took a few days to compose a reply, but this was my reply.

I hope that my comments are shared with The University such that they know exactly what their actions have caused.

Remember when APD came up the Drag to break up the Fortune 500 protests? That was a big deal quickly forgotten.

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Remember when APD came up the Drag to break up the Fortune 500 protests? That was a big deal quickly forgotten.

That's comparing apples and oranges if APD came to an off campus location to handle a protest, versus the university president preemptively calling in riot cops to silence and arrest peacefully protesting students and members of the public in a State designated """free speech area"""

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Wasn't that protest/incident off campus? And in fact not even on the Drag, but along Guadalupe south of campus?

It seems like there's still parallel sets of protests going.  I'm not as up on the topic as some of you, but I have seen a lot of it in person.  There seems, and again "optics" cliche, there are protests regarding war crimes in Gaza committed by Israel.  Another thread about all that, I get it.  And then there's other groups out on campus regarding divesting from defense contractors who provide the IDF will weapons systems and platforms.  

I'm pro-UT, pro-Israel, and pro-freedom of peaceful assembly by all of these students.  Particularly the ones that were treated poorly by DPS troopers as a performative political stunt for yet another thread. 

But I do have to just, as someone who is fortunate enough to work some really bright students at our school, have to wonder.  WTF with the divestiture protests on campus aimed at the Tower?  You do not deserve arrest, assault, or even suspension.  But you're supposed to be critical thinkers as Longhorns.  Not saying your position is wrong, but stop for 5 minutes and understand neither the Tower, or Hartzell, or the Board of Regents, of even Abbott sets the portfolio allocation/investment mandates for your school.  Its policy done by the Legislature and then carried out by UTIMCO.  I appreciate your passion, misguided though it may be, but yelling at other students and administrators about defense contractor holdings is futile, bordering on stupid.  You really want change in where PUF money goes, you take it to the Capitol and the UTIMCO HQ.  Not saying it'll be any more effective and you're just as likely to encounter DPS harassment.  But humanitarian concerns, valid though they may be, in the short-term are one thing.  But you want to effectuate long-term change, you go where the money is.  The big Pink Building south of campus and the $70BN endowment south of that.  Yelling at the other kids with posters across the sidewalk is all well and good and I'm for it being protected.  But you want to have a seat at the adult table, put your big boy pants on, and follow the money.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But I do have to just, as someone who is fortunate enough to work some really bright students at our school, have to wonder.  WTF with the divestiture protests on campus aimed at the Tower?  You do not deserve arrest, assault, or even suspension.  But you're supposed to be critical thinkers as Longhorns.  Not saying your position is wrong, but stop for 5 minutes and understand neither the Tower, or Hartzell, or the Board of Regents, of even Abbott sets the portfolio allocation/investment mandates for your school.  Its policy done by the Legislature and then carried out by UTIMCO.  I appreciate your passion, misguided though it may be, but yelling at other students and administrators about defense contractor holdings is futile, bordering on stupid.  You really want change in where PUF money goes, you take it to the Capitol and the UTIMCO HQ.  Not saying it'll be any more effective and you're just as likely to encounter DPS harassment.  But humanitarian concerns, valid though they may be, in the short-term are one thing.  But you want to effectuate long-term change, you go where the money is.  The big Pink Building south of campus and the $70BN endowment south of that.  Yelling at the other kids with posters across the sidewalk is all well and good and I'm for it being protected.  But you want to have a seat at the adult table, put your big boy pants on, and follow the money.  

So you're saying that instead of publicly protesting and bringing a ton of media attention and discussion to the issue, they should instead seek a bunch of closed door meetings where they will politely be told "no" over and over?

You really think a bunch of regents and board members that are fabulously wealthy people give a single flying fuck about what any of the students think? I'd bet a dollar that they're also holding positions along with the PUF that they can't unwind from, so there won't be any changes to the investment strategy. They can't say that out loud, so they instead resort to a civility argument that is dishonestly arguing and moving the conversation AWAY from following the money. 

I think forcing the conversation in the open is a much more effective strategy for actually affecting change long-term. Otherwise you're just working within the status quo framework that is already co-opted by culture war politics that is sending jackboots onto campus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Wasn't that protest/incident off campus? And in fact not even on the Drag, but along Guadalupe south of campus?

No. West mall. UTPD broke it up and APD came up the Drag pushing everyone away. The PCL became a safe place basically. Some of the more extreme groups (Zapatistas) wanted to fight, but when they saw APD coming they boogied.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

So you're saying that instead of publicly protesting and bringing a ton of media attention and discussion to the issue, they should instead seek a bunch of closed door meetings where they will politely be told "no" over and over?

You really think a bunch of regents and board members that are fabulously wealthy people give a single flying fuck about what any of the students think? I'd bet a dollar that they're also holding positions along with the PUF that they can't unwind from, so there won't be any changes to the investment strategy. They can't say that out loud, so they instead resort to a civility argument that is dishonestly arguing and moving the conversation AWAY from following the money. 

I think forcing the conversation in the open is a much more effective strategy for actually affecting change long-term. Otherwise you're just working within the status quo framework that is already co-opted by culture war politics that is sending jackboots onto campus. 

Not saying they can't protest out in the open.  They can do that.  AND.  ALSO.  IN ADDITION TO.  Get in the grill of the legislature and UTIMCO who actually deploy this capital to the companies they are raging about.  You protest defense contractors on a college campus.  Good for you, one of 10,000 times it's happened in U.S. college history.  Whoopie.  You suddenly start calling attention to how they billions are actually invested down at the Capitol or UTIMCO buildings.  Some reporter is actually inspired to look into the real money, not just the banners and chants that are duplicated on 100 campuses right now.  That's the beginning of actual change.  You publicly shame the IDF in Gaza from Austin, Texas.  Woo-hoo for you.  You publicly shame UTIMCO into pulling hundreds of millions, maybe billions out of defense contractor equity positions that provide hardware to the IDF in Gaza.  That's something serious people take serious note of.  I'm glad they're engaged, but there's no shortage of 20-somethings ranting on this topic to college Presidents and the like.  Multi-billion dollar endowments start selling off positions across the country, that changes everything.  It's hard to make happen, but just a 10% chance of it will have a far greater impact in achieving these student's goals.  If the last 10 years have taught us anything, public humiliation is now a badge of honor.  Public money shaming hurts infinitely more.  

This was just texted to campus for the ongoing protest today:

UTPD Notice of Dispersal Order

For those participating in the South Mall event,

I am Assistant Chief Shane Streepy and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct. I command you in the name of the University of Texas Police Department to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal Code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct.

New one just now. Apparently they have erected tents on the south mall.

I am Assistant Chief Shane Streepy and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway, 30.05 Criminal Trespass. I command you in the name of the University of Texas Police Department to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway, 30.05 Criminal Trespass.

5 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I am Assistant Chief Shane Streepy and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway, 30.05 Criminal Trespass. I command you in the name of the University of Texas Police Department to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway, 30.05 Criminal Trespass

I'm not sure how they're rioting or obstructing a highway or passageway, but the pigs are always gonna throw the kitchen sink just to try and bully people out of exercising their rights

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, it's not the n-wordesses.  We established that Jew as a noun is probably or completely ok, why can't we slap a feminine suffix on it?  Even if it's antiquated?

I still refrain from using "Jew" as a singular noun or verb  But as soon as you add a suffix, as in "Jewish" or "Jewess," I lose my distaste.  Jewish is fine.  Jew just rubs me wrong.

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Down on campus with HS Jr son for tour and just saw DPS marching that way up 21st street 

Same.  They just marched by the admissions center with face shields, etc.  My son said, “so I guess we won’t be getting the full tour today…”

• Rage+1 3

Lmfao they're deploying DPS and declaring THIS a riot

How tf is that obstructing a passageway, and how is that not a public discourse space on a public university campus? Read the law, it's only 7 fuckin pages long. 

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/SB00018F.pdf#navpanes=0

This is absolutely fucking absurd. The state is out of control. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

New one just now. Apparently they have erected tents on the south mall.

I am Assistant Chief Shane Streepy and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway, 30.05 Criminal Trespass. I command you in the name of the University of Texas Police Department to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct, 42.02 Riot, 42.03 Obstructing a Highway or other passageway, 30.05 Criminal Trespass.

Someone needs to walk up and start popping their masks like this:

masks gif.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have seen bigger events at the end of finals or rush week.

They are not blocking the sidewalks. Anyone can get to class. WTF? We need to deploy the Austin based Surly mafia.

Just leave them alone?  Ignore them?  Shit, if you want to get creative build "protective barriers" around them, see how it takes one to break ranks and have to take a growler.  

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

This was just texted to campus for the ongoing protest today:

UTPD Notice of Dispersal Order

I am Assistant Chief Shane Streepy and I represent the University of Texas at Austin Police Department. Your conduct is in violation of Penal Code Sections 42.01 Disorderly Conduct. I command you in the name of the University of Texas Police Department to disperse, and if you do not, you shall be arrested for Violation of Penal Code Section 42.01 Disorderly Conduct.

Rambo!  This is Lt. Clinton Morgan.  National Guard leader. 

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lmfao they're deploying DPS and declaring THIS a riot

How tf is that obstructing a passageway, and how is that not a public discourse space on a public university campus? Read the law, it's only 7 fuckin pages long. 

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/SB00018F.pdf#navpanes=0

This is absolutely fucking absurd. The state is out of control. 

Seems that if these folks had planned ahead, they'd have an application for TRO ready to file down at the courthouse restraining UTPD and the DPS (and anyone else necessary) from depriving them of their right to speech in violation of that statute.

Note: IIRC, UT does have some sort of "curfew" on such activities (meaning no overnight "camping") which would probably pass muster as a reasonable time place and manner restriction under the statute.  But that's only effective after something like 10:00 pm.  Right now?  I don't see how any reasonable time, place, or manner restriction is being violated.  It's a bunch of maybe 50 students, on the grass, chanting slogans and shit.  They could be there chanting "free Palestine," "OU Sucks," or "bring back G&M Steakhouse [I'd be there with 'em]," it don't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 3