CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Pittman is going to get shit canned week 4 or 5.

Bobby P is going to take the reins. 
He’ll win some games and get hired (re-hired?).

Best for Traylor to cash in now. Build something at UH in a league you can compete and win at now.

He’ll likely be the A&M coach anyway in 3 years when they’re searching for a new coach again.

And that $ is going to be guaranteed!

Sure but at a certain point, his age becomes prohibitive. Is aggy going to want to hire a nearly 60 year old coach? I’m not sure. 

8 hours ago, Slacks said:

I hope some of you mothafuckkas do get in the muthafukka....

So I can set you muthafukkas on fire.

Sweatergawd, I will break a lot of shit if Bo Davis leaves here again. Give him a got damn Jimbo Fisher contract with no buyout and guarantees that he can hire the next DC, Head Coach, and Athletic Director if the roles should open during his tenure.

Bo Davis is the best DLine coach we've ever had.

I am living this shit with my life right now.

This. We absolutely HAVE to lock in our LOS coaches going into the SEC. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Oregon State promotes Trent Bray to head coach

The former Beaver player turned assistant and coordinator is now the Head Beaver.

image.png.010a5f9d02df84c29384de2272735645.png

DOUG SAMUELS    10 HOURS AGO

Following a quick, but thorough search, defensive coordinator Trent Bray has been elevated to head coach in Corvallis.  Bray has spent the a total of 10 seasons as an assistant with the Beavers, including just over the last two seasons as the team's defensive play caller.

“I’m excited to be able to announce Trent as our next head coach,” athletic director Scott Barnes shared in their release.

“After interviewing several qualified candidates, we realized our top choice, Trent, has already been a mainstay at the Valley Football Center and Reser Stadium. He’s been a part of Beaver Nation for a long time and love for this place is real. The connection and trust he has built with our student athletes is unmatched. His energy and determination as head coach will be a catalyst for continued program success."

Bray, a former Beaver linebacker who still ranks among the school's top 10 in tackles, has been a two-time nominee for the Broyles Award, the latest coming during the 2022 season.

The 41-year old is in his second coaching stint in Corvallis. After this playing career ended, he got a graduate assistant job working with the linebackers at Arizona State before taking the same role at Oregon State for a few seasons.

He spent the 2015-17 season at Nebraska working the linebackers, where he earned his first Broyles Award nomination, returning to his alma mater to coach the linebackers in 2018 as a member of Jonathan Smith's staff.

Edited by LTtxfan

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not a bad hire for Oregon State, but that job has got to be a tough sell right now with the program looking like it's entering into the college wastelands.  Hope they saddle up with a somewhat decent conference soon.

At least they have a schedule, but they do feel like a cut above the MWC in institutional prestige

12 hours ago, Slacks said:

This would be the dumbest UH move ever... dude cant (wont) recruit for shit.

Traylor, a good DC, and some Fertitta NIL money could have Kelvin Sampson level success in the Big12.

Such a Tillman Fertitta move.  “He has coached Heisman winners.  He has coached in the NFL!” instead of “he will win games and recruit well.”

Deion really screwed this up... 

San Diego State begins new era with Sean Lewis

DOUG SAMUELS      7 HOURS AGO

Over the last decade or so, San Diego State carved out a name for themselves for their rushing attack and churning out quality running backs.

With the appointment of Sean Lewis as the new head coach of the Aztecs, that's likely about to change as he brings an uptempo approach that airs the ball out a lot more than Aztec fans will be used to.

Lewis did a masterful job in his one season at Colorado, leaving behind the head coaching job at Kent State to learn under Deion Sanders for a season, seemingly making a bet on himself that it would lead to a new opportunity.

After helping to improve the Buffs offensive approach from one of the worst in the country to must-watch-TV on Saturday's, that new opportunity presented itself in the fertile recruiting grounds of California at San Diego State.

In a move that is still puzzling to many, after fielding a top 40 scoring offense through the first part of the season, Deion Sanders opted to change offensive play callers at Colorado, handing the reigns to former NFL coach Pat Shurmur while Lewis focused on the quarterbacks.

The move was made after Colorado dropped to 4-4 and were struggling to run the ball effectively and protect quarterback Shedeur Sanders, an issue Prime has vowed to correct through the transfer portal and recruiting.

In those eight games, Lewis led an offense that eclipsed the 40-point mark four times and was averaging 31 points per game.

Now he gets a fresh slate, and the chance to put his mark on a second program as head coach.

He previously went 24-31 in five seasons leading the Golden Flashes, with a 1st place in the MAC East finish in 2021.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, goodiemob said:

I'm reading that poor sap who was only 2 months into his marriage when news broke Bobby P was nailing his wife is still married. Would anyone here stay with their wife after being cucked by Petrino on the national stage? 

I wouldn't.

But maybe he was into it?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Was told today by someone who would know Manny _iaz interviewed for Duke's head coaching gig. 

Yes, and looks very much as a top candidate....which opens the door to Elijah Robinson returning to his alma mater Penn State as DC.  Do I think that will happen.. unlikely, but the possibility is definitely there. He turned them down 3 years ago for a DL coach position to stay at aggy... maybe this time is different.  ER is also supposedly a top candidate for LSU DC and Nebraska DC if/when those likely open up.

image.png.8bd00dc508f41bf76f3dee4dc12d3190.png

Vanderbilt parts ways with offensive coordinator, Lea to take over defense

The Commodores offense and defense will both have different play callers in 2023

DOUG SAMUELS     15 HOURS AGO

Clark Lea has announced tonight the decision to part ways with offensive coordinator Joey Lynch.

Lynch just completed his second season in that role.  He initially joined Lea's staff in 2021 working with the quarterbacks and holding then title of passing game coordinator. 

This past season, the Commodores ranked last in the SEC in total offense with about 319 total yards. The Commodores also ranked 110th in scoring offense with 22.8 points per game.

In the same announcement of the move at offensive play caller, Lea shares that he will take over the defensive play calling duties.

Nick Howell, the former defensive coordinator at Virginia, joined the staff as defensive coordinator back in January of 2022.

Vanderbilt shares that Howell will remain on staff and will coach the secondary while Dan Jackson will transition into an off-field role and defensive quality control coach Jamaal Richardson will assist Howell in the secondary.

Vandy finished 2-10 this fall, a step back from the 5-7 record they had in 2022.

15 hours ago, goodiemob said:

I'm reading that poor sap who was only 2 months into his marriage when news broke Bobby P was nailing his wife is still married. Would anyone here stay with their wife after being cucked by Petrino on the national stage? 

It appears you care. You should probably have sex.

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

James Franklin is prepped and ready to ruin another promising OC's career

Donovan - followed Franklin from MD to Vandy then Vandy to PSU, fired after 2 seasons

Moorhead - left after 2 seasons to be HC

Rahne - left after 2 seasons to be HC

Ciarrocca - fired after the covid year so Franklin could hire Yurcich

Yurcich - fired this year - we can poll the board to determine if he was a promising OC while he was at Texas 

Which promising OCs career did he ruin?

4 minutes ago, heso said:

Donovan - followed Franklin from MD to Vandy then Vandy to PSU, fired after 2 seasons

Moorhead - left after 2 seasons to be HC

Rahne - left after 2 seasons to be HC

Ciarrocca - fired after the covid year so Franklin could hire Yurcich

Yurcich - fired this year - we can poll the board to determine if he was a promising OC while he was at Texas 

Which promising OCs career did he ruin?

Honestly, just Yurcich. He was excellent at OSU, hard to say how much at Ohio State was his doing but it was a good gig, did a very creditable job at Texas dealing with Herman's bullshit, and then hit Penn State and sunk.

Most of it is we saw all of the standard hallmarks of James Franklin teams - tissue soft culture, crying in the fetal position against actually good teams, etc.

19 hours ago, goodiemob said:

“It really made our bond stronger.  Now she only fucks other guys while I watch.”

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Indiana huh? I have a feeling that streak is about to end.

This guy seems like a sneaky good hire for Indiana. If he somehow manages to keep that streak alive for a couple more years, he will be a hot commodity. But Indiana's football history is about on par with Kansas State's (pre-Snyder), so he better be a stud. Its been more 32 years since their last bowl win. Fuck thats a long time. 

Speaking of Snyder, I saw this thread on Reddit earlier. Pre-Saban, I probably considered him the best coach since I've been paying attention to the sport (mid 80's on). Shit, I may still. That turnaround was insane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, just Yurcich. He was excellent at OSU, hard to say how much at Ohio State was his doing but it was a good gig, did a very creditable job at Texas dealing with Herman's bullshit, and then hit Penn State and sunk.

Most of it is we saw all of the standard hallmarks of James Franklin teams - tissue soft culture, crying in the fetal position against actually good teams, etc.

He was excellent at OSU, I was excited when PSU hired him, despite what most on this board thought of him. Has any OC at OSU under Gundy not looked excellent, tho?

Part of the frustration with Yurcich this season was a failure to lean into the team’s strengths, namely RB, TE, OL, a complete lack of creativity in the passing game, and an extreme aversion to stretching the field vertically. Some of which stems from just not having the players at WR. a lot of the blame in the personnel problems at WR on Franklin. Some of the blame is on Cephas reportedly coming into the season out of shape and unable to learn the playbook. Part of the blame is on Allar for not being accurate enough on 10 yard passes to move the chains. The play calling seemed unimaginative and predictable, especially in big games.

The problems on offense definitely stretch beyond Yurcich’s coordination but it just felt like he knew that in 10 of 12 games he had the talent to just lean on the other team with a vanilla playbook and his defense would get the ball back enough that the other teams would wear down. And then they approached OSU and UM the same way. 

It just felt like a very scared, risk-averse offense. And there’s a good chance that philosophy came the whole way from Franklin, but it clearly fed all the way down to how Allar looked and played all season until after he was fired. 

There were so many problems with the offense this season and he was only one of the problems, but Franklin’s not going to fire himself. 

I expect Yurcich could have had long term success at Penn state and I’m sure he will at his next stop. 

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Moorehead was maybe the best OC he's had. 

I think he was by a pretty wide margin. 

Nevada fired football coach Ken Wilson on Friday, ending his tenure after only two seasons.

Wilson went 2-10 in each of his two seasons with Nevada, where he had served as an assistant from 1989 to 2012 under Hall of Famer Chris Ault and other coaches. The change was expected, sources said, as Wilson's buyout dropped from $1.5 million to $1 million on Friday. He had been signed through the 2026 season. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39021098/nevada-coach-ken-wilson-fired-consecutive-2-10-seasons

New chick AD. 

18 hours ago, Vermin said:

Wasn't Spavital notoriously terrible at aggy?

He was notoriously terrible at TXST, that's for damn sure.  Shit offense w/ no discernable identity and refused to play a 2nd QB when QB1 was sucking hind tit.  it was fucking maddening.  So happy he's at Baylor because he's going to get exposed like a motherfucker.