"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Not at all.

Well then why the fuck are you attempting to conflate the two?

Mass shooting cannot be prevented outside of gun reform. Parenting has shit to do with it.

P.S.

I ain't Jimmy and will not 69 you on some pointless argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, F250 said:

Well then why the fuck are you attempting to conflate the two?

Mass shooting cannot be prevented outside of gun reform. Parenting has shit to do with it.

P.S.

I ain't Jimmy and will not 69 you on some pointless argument.

I didn’t conflate anything. Are we trying to stop gun violence, or mass shootings?  Someone that will willingly shoot someone, or several people, aren’t as different as you like them to be. If you want to only focus on “mass shootings”, that’s fine by me. Don’t bother with statistics of suicide or other shootings.  Now instead of 10k people being shot, you have 150/yr to work on changing laws with.  

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You don’t think the other 50 people who got shot/shot someone in Chicago this weekend had anything to do with how they were raised?  

I think it pretty obvious there is no correlation between any perceived decrease or increase  in capability of child rearing and the increase in American gun violence.

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I didn’t conflate anything. Are we trying to stop gun violence, or mass shootings?  Someone that will willingly shoot someone, or several people, aren’t as different as you like them to be. If you want to only focus on “mass shootings”, that’s fine by me. Don’t bother with statistics of suicide or other shootings.  Now instead of 10k people being shot, you have 150/yr to work on changing laws with.  

You are absolutely attempting to conflate the two at this moment. I never mentioned statistics. The discussion was about the psychology of mass shooters and you jump in with "What about gang violence in Chicago."

Something tells me there is something wrong with your brain because you lack basic human empathy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Something tells me there is something wrong with your brain because you lack basic human empathy.

Lulz.  You’ve derived all of that from message board postings, have you?   I thought the discussion on the NRA thread was for reduced gun violence, but it appears it’s for cosmically statistically low mass shootings.  Carry on. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lulz.  You’ve derived all of that from message board postings, have you?   I thought the discussion on the NRA thread was for reduced gun violence, but it appears it’s for cosmically statistically low mass shootings.  Carry on. 

You jumped into the middle of a conversation about the psychology of mass shooters.

You know what you attempted to do.

12 minutes ago, F250 said:

You are absolutely attempting to conflate the two at this moment. I never mentioned statistics. The discussion was about the psychology of mass shooters and you jump in with "What about gang violence in Chicago."

He’s just copying and pasting shit he reads elsewhere. The Chicago gang violence thing isn’t his own thought. You’re trying to reason with a turnip.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

You jumped into the middle of a conversation about the psychology of mass shooters.

You know what you attempted to do.

Ok. Let me know when we can discuss gun violence as a whole, I guess.  Be warned, it likely won’t be as simple as pointing to a piece of aluminum and blaming any and all problems on it. 

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Ok. Let me know when we can discuss gun violence as a whole, I guess.  Be warned, it likely won’t be as simple as pointing to a piece of aluminum and blaming any and all problems on it. 

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

How can we talk about it if you are not willing to address regulating the one thing consistent in all these acts?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh, I have a proposal that is aimed at some of the biggest causes of gun deaths: suicide using a gun kept in the home, accidental shootings in the home, and a member of a household using a gun kept in the home for a crime: safe storage laws.  The owner of a gun should be required by law to keep the gun in a place/manner where it cannot be accessed by another member of a household.  Want to keep a 9 mm in your nightstand?  Cool....trigger lock, biometric storage box, etc.  You have options.  All of which keep a usable gun out of the hands of others.

That proposal can't even get off the ground, because NRA GUN FREEDOM AR HAS TO BE KEPT LOCKED AND LOADED AND IN REACH AT ALL TIMES!  It's just fucking stupid.  The gun nut crowd -- which 100% controls the conversation -- will not allow fucking ANYTHING that would meaningfully improve safety while not materially impairing the right to own and use a firearm.

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

A lot more have been prevented than have happened. That is an outlier for them, but it's just another day in America.

How do you not see the difference?

They do.  They're just disingenuous liars.  See, if the thing you intended to prevent still happens sometimes when you're using the safety measure proposed, then it means that the safety measure is garbage, and is really just a commie attempt at limiting our freedom.

That's why seatbelts are communist.  They are intended to prevent automobile deaths.  And sure, they have REDUCED the number of fatalities that otherwise would have occurred, but people still sometimes die in wrecks even when they're wearing a seatbelt.  Therefore, seatbelts don't work, and are just a plot by George Soros to install his globalist anti-freedom vision.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, I have a proposal that is aimed at some of the biggest causes of gun deaths: suicide using a gun kept in the home, accidental shootings in the home, and a member of a household using a gun kept in the home for a crime: safe storage laws.  The owner of a gun should be required by law to keep the gun in a place/manner where it cannot be accessed by another member of a household.  Want to keep a 9 mm in your nightstand?  Cool....trigger lock, biometric storage box, etc.  You have options.  All of which keep a usable gun out of the hands of others.

That proposal can't even get off the ground, because NRA GUN FREEDOM AR HAS TO BE KEPT LOCKED AND LOADED AND IN REACH AT ALL TIMES!  It's just fucking stupid.  The gun nut crowd -- which 100% controls the conversation -- will not allow fucking ANYTHING that would meaningfully improve safety while not materially impairing the right to own and use a firearm.

I know for a fact you know how I feel about safe storage laws.  AND, it's one the govt could actually facilitate.  On top of pretty much the easiest low hanging fruit there is.  

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The gun nut crowd -- which 100% controls the conversation --

So how do us normies take back the conversation?

Being loud and obnoxious on our views as well? Hell, I'll coat my truck in gun reform bumper stickers if it means 19 children don't get shot in school anymore.

I know for a fact you know how I feel about safe storage laws.  AND, it's one the govt could actually facilitate.  On top of pretty much the easiest low hanging fruit there is.  

This.....

Just now, YChang said:

Now carry that thought out some more on why it hasn't happened....

....followed by this.

There are literally two dots to connect.  Connect them.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

This.....

....followed by this.

There are literally two dots to connect.  Connect them.

Didn't something literally just get passed last week?  I can understand the "it wasn't enough" argument.  Maybe a concession could have been made, like I dunno, some give on the fuckwobble that is obtaining a suppressor (a safer way to shoot).   There's always going to be some back and forth, let's pick the low hanging fruit.  Safe storage and safer shooting aids should be at the top of the list. 

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

So how do us normies take back the conversation?

Being loud and obnoxious on our views as well? Hell, I'll coat my truck in gun reform bumper stickers if it means 19 children don't get shot in school anymore.

At this point, it's all-or-nothing.  The ONLY solution is a dedicated, consistent, long-slog effort to vote EVERY.  SINGLE.  REPUBLICAN. OUT.

They have made it clear that they are functionally zero-compromise, and will never agree to anything meaningful.   Fine.  Then GTFO.

I mean, I HAVE thought of starting some sort of counter to the NRA -- "America's Reasonable Gun Owners" or something (I mean, "ARGO" is a cool acronym, right?)  Our platform is that 1) we support the 2nd amendment, as well as the long-standing rule of interpretation of constitutional rights that allows certain measured regulation of the exercise of constitutional rights [e.g., the 1st amendment can be restricted so you can't use a bullhorn to yell your opinions after midnight in a residential area], 2) we want to insure that our right and choice to own and use firearms is both respected and compatible with society as w whole, 3) we believe in taking responsibility for our firearms, and our role in our community, so 4) we support reasonable firearms regulations [and list them -- many of the worst gun nuts around here say they support them, they just won't vote for any person who would actually implement them].

Didn't something literally just get passed last week?  I can understand the "it wasn't enough" argument.  Maybe a concession could have been made, like I dunno, some give on the fuckwobble that is obtaining a suppressor (a safer way to shoot).   There's always going to be some back and forth, let's pick the low hanging fruit.  Safe storage and safer shooting aids should be at the top of the list. 

BUT. THEY. WON'T. BE. 

BECAUSE. REPUBLICANS.

You really can't see it, can you?

17 hours ago, slorch said:

Exposure to firearms in the home was regular and has continued to be. 

The problem is that for a sizable portion of people on the right, it’s not about exposure to firearms, it’s about making them into a fucking fetish to be worshipped, to the extent that there is push back on red flag laws that could prevent a lot of these.

Red flag laws, in particular a baseline national red flag law, should not be hard to develop, but the GOP and NRA are all in on making sure it doesn’t happen, so we end up with a patchwork of state laws that fail far too often. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, atomheartbevo said:

The problem is that for a sizable portion of people on the right, it’s not about exposure to firearms, it’s about making them into a fucking fetish to be worshipped, to the extent that there is push back on red flag laws that could prevent a lot of these. 

The most virulent gun nuts, who oppose every measure of responsible gun ownership, seem to be using firearms and access to firearms to show everyone their high levels of masculinity. There is a big venn diagram coordination between these people and the people who are anti-gay self-professed Alphas.   We have also seen time after time that the most virulent anti-gay Republicans tend to be closeted gay folks.

I’m just asking questions

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, Born to Run said:

The premise was that gun owners needed to be kind to non-gun owners, and not create fear so that we might maintain our current rights.

Shoot, earlier than that, when I learned a lot of the same things through NRA programs and Scouting, it wasn't so much the gun rights as the fundamental underlying principle that a gun is a killing machine and must be treated with utmost respect.  And similarly, there are many non-gun people that should not have these killing machines thrust into their faces or God forbid endangered by them, and shouldn't be subjected to the natural results of their operations, i.e. bloody carcasses and the like.

I grew up doing a lot of shooting, mostly target as I was a tag-along hunter and not dedicated at all. I fell away from it during college and for several years after and then picked up rimfire and airgun target shooting in the last 10 years or so.  So I really wasn't paying all that much attention to it when it became a fetishy thing.  I did, however, buy an M1A (considered a CMP Garand M1) before the AWB, just because I had kind of always fancied one and figured I might not be able to get one later.  I don't think I have shot a full mag through it just because rimfire and airgun gives me my shooting jollies perfectly adequately and doesn't cost $1.50/round and doesn't require quite the safety precautions to shoot, i.e. 100 yard formal range or some pretty serious wide open space for more informal shooting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

At first glance, I thought it was a toy gun, which is another risk in and of itself.

Would like to see an age restriction on there, not that it matters once it's in the house; but hell, we do it on music and cigarettes.

Full disclosure- we shot .22's starting around age 10 or so( supervised.)  I think we were  about 12 or so when we started shooting them in 4-H.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

At first glance, I thought it was a toy gun, which is another risk in and of itself.

Would like to see an age restriction on there, not that it matters once it's in the house; but hell, we do it on music and cigarettes.

Full disclosure- we shot .22's starting around age 10 or so( supervised.)  I think we were  about 12 or so when we started shooting them in 4-H.

Pretty sure the JR-15 has been posted somewhere on this website before, along with photos of kids that look no older than 6 handling them at a gun show.

It's fucking grotesque.

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Pretty sure the JR-15 has been posted somewhere on this website before, along with photos of kids that look no older than 6 handling them at a gun show.

It's fucking grotesque.

Depends on your outlook/ philosophy on guns.

We viewed them as tools or sporting devices.  It'd be no different than posing with a cool impact wrench( think farm kids or those who grew up in that environment) or fishing gear as far as we were concerned.  I am aware of how that mentality is not accepted across the board.  I also would agree it's pretty fucked up if the pics are done with the children basically being pawns in a politically driven statement.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Depends on your outlook/ philosophy on guns.

We viewed them as tools or sporting devices.  It'd be no different than posing with a cool impact wrench( think farm kids or those who grew up in that environment) or fishing gear as far as we were concerned.  I am aware of how that mentality is not accepted across the board.  I also would agree it's pretty fucked up if the pics are done with the children basically being pawns in a politically driven statement.

Wake me up next time fishing gear (or an impact wrench) is used in a mass murder event.

I own multiple guns of the sporting variety. Got no problem with those. I probably didn't shoot a .22 long rifle until I was at least 10, maybe 12. And manufacturing a junior-sized "look alike" AR-15 that shoots .22 caliber bullets to match mommy and daddy's real AR-15 is fucking twisted AF.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, slorch said:

think we were  about 12 or so when we started shooting them in 4-H.

My boys shoot in 4-h right now.  Not steels, precision. Single shot bolt action .22. Rigid range rules. 

obviously the rules are for parents to implement, enforce, and stress if they aren’t having the kids shoot in a range environment.  No clue how that Jr-15 matches or deviates from the rifle I described.

Since you brought up fishing, made me wonder how old kids are before you let them work with fishing hooks by themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

And is made to be small enough for kids as young as 3 to use it. That is fucking insane.

The horror of teaching a young kid to respect firearms and what they can do if they are treated improperly! How will our society ever survive if kids don't think that guns are toys?

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

23 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The horror of teaching a young kid to respect firearms and what they can do if they are treated improperly! How will our society ever survive if kids don't think that guns are toys?

What a fucking stupid argument.  Do you teach a 3 year old about respecting the cars in the street by having them drive one?  

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My boys shoot in 4-h right now.  Not steels, precision. Single shot bolt action .22. Rigid range rules. 

obviously the rules are for parents to implement, enforce, and stress if they aren’t having the kids shoot in a range environment.  No clue how that Jr-15 matches or deviates from the rifle I described.

Since you brought up fishing, made me wonder how old kids are before you let them work with fishing hooks by themselves.

Probably 8-9, as in going to the stock tank and fishing on our own.  Grandparents lived at PK and we'd fish from the dock or shore unsupervised.  It was fishing.  It was normal.  Every one of my friends carried a knife on a daily basis and it was absolutely normal.  If you ever took it out as a weapon, you might as well get ready for the beating of your life from the adults.  My brothers and I fought all the damned time, but guns or knives were NEVER part of it.  Ever. Started taking the boat out across the lake or to our favorite spots at 10-11-12, the same ages at which we started driving tractors/ hay trucks/ etc/etc.

I know it might be hard to reconcile now, but that's how we grew up, late 70's early 80's in our little spot in rural Texas.  My own boys neither drove, nor hunted that early, but sometimes I wish they had.  They also didn't start working as young as my friends and I.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, Bullneck said:

i-1-90721663-and8216just-like-mom-and-dad.webp.0d93782211051c0508d242b8dcba1f02.webp

This is real.

I have to say the children's skulls in the advertisement is a home run.  Kids know it's for kids.  More kids, more guns, more skulls.

Oof.  When I was a kid, Marlin and other .22 manufacturers advertised in Boy's Life (the scout magazine), but not in such a flippant way.  And Scouting was all about responsible gun ownership back then, as was the NRA.

There weren't any Punisher logos or hello kitty skulls in those ads.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oof.  When I was a kid, Marlin and other .22 manufacturers advertised in Boy's Life (the scout magazine), but not in such a flippant way.  And Scouting was all about responsible gun ownership back then, as was the NRA.

There weren't any Punisher logos or hello kitty skulls in those ads.

When I was 10 or 11 my grandfather would let me roam the farm in Robstown with a .22 lever action rifle and a little box of cartridges.  The best thing to shoot was empty aerosol cans since they would pop and jump into the air.

Amazingly, nothing went wrong.  

H0011-L203889828_original.jpg

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1