"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

38 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Focus on the families?

Why release a statement, then Mr. Patrick? Just call the NRA and say you're not coming. Like the way you ghosted Texas citizens when it came to "getting to the bottom of *this to be sure we are better prepared even if an unprecedented weather event happens again." YOUR EXACT QUOTE Mr. Patrick. Weather events are slightly unpredictable even if the preparation is not, but slaughtering children? That is on you, you Flat-Butted, High-Waist Jeaned, Aqua Net-Addled Antiquated Asshole.

*'this' being ERCOT and the Great Freeze Off of 2021.

I don't think he reads Surly.

Lee Greenwood and Larry Gatlin both canceled their performances at the convention. Way to take a stand, guys

At least Gatlin cited the specific end for "something " to be done.

One of Larry Gatlin’s daughters was a sorority sister of mine.

I’ve been very disappointed at how Trumpy she and her whole family are.

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

One of Larry Gatlin’s daughters was a sorority sister of mine.

I’ve been very disappointed at how Trumpy she and her whole family are.

i'd be more surprised if anyone even remotely related to country music is not trumpy. 

• Hook 'Em 5

My dad told me this exact thing about 20 years ago. He said he joined the NRA when it was a hunting club. He owned a shot gun and used it a few times to hunt with some of his friends but it wasn't a big part of his life. I remember when he told me he was giving up his membership because they weren't a hunting club anymore and he hated everything they were publishing in their magazine. It's one of the more bizarre incidents of an organization completely changing its mission in such a short amount of time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

i'd be more surprised if anyone even remotely related to country music is not trumpy. 

Just a few that come to mind.

Willie, Steve Earl, Kris kristofferson, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton, Brad Paisley, and a lot of others.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Too bad the convention attendees can’t have their guns with them for protection…because the NRA speakers are scared of their own audience. 

they're not scared of their own audience.  they're scared of losing their own audience's votes.  they don't care about people.  people are just a byproduct.  

as for the protest videos, please keep them coming.  the rest of the country needs to know that despite policy and legislation, texas is not a deep red, far right state.

get it, houston.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why are we lying to the rest of the country?

that's a question only the politicians can answer.  they govern like they have a far right mandate, but they don't.

biden won harris county by double digits.  trump only won texas by 600,000 votes.  for perspective, biden won california by 7mm votes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

they're not scared of their own audience.  they're scared of losing their own audience's votes.  they don't care about people.  people are just a byproduct.  

as for the protest videos, please keep them coming.  the rest of the country needs to know that despite policy and legislation, texas is not a deep red, far right state.

get it, houston.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

NRA Board Re-Elects LaPierre 54-1 Despite Scandal

The National Rifle Association’s board of directors re-elected its longtime leader Wayne LaPierre in Houston on Monday, despite the group’s deteriorating finances, claims he misused its funds and a challenge from a prominent Texas Republican.

The 76-member board voted 54-1 in favor of LaPierre. The native New Yorker has held the title of NRA’s executive vice president since 1991, according to Phillip Journey, a board member who attended the meeting. It’s unclear if all board members were in attendance or if any abstained from the balloting.

The lone dissenting vote was from Allen West of all people.

NRA Board Re-Elects LaPierre 54-1 Despite Scandal
The National Rifle Association’s board of directors re-elected its longtime leader Wayne LaPierre in Houston on Monday, despite the group’s deteriorating finances, claims he misused its funds and a challenge from a prominent Texas Republican.
The 76-member board voted 54-1 in favor of LaPierre. The native New Yorker has held the title of NRA’s executive vice president since 1991, according to Phillip Journey, a board member who attended the meeting. It’s unclear if all board members were in attendance or if any abstained from the balloting.
The lone dissenting vote was from Allen West of all people.

When Allen West is your organization’s voice of sanity….your cocktail reception should probably just be a giant bowl of hemlock and cyanide punch.
  • Like 1

Thinking about it more, this "good guy with a gun" defense is not the least bit accurate.  It's a bad guy with an AR-15 in a lot of cases and and it takes several good guys with guns or AR15s to stop him.  The AR-15 and other assault rifles like it are meant for warzones, and by making them abundantly available, we are turning parts of our country into warzones as a result. Even the armed and armored police are scared of one guy with an AR-15, that should say a lot about it's effectiveness.

A assault weapons ban would help, stiffer background checks, waiting periods, and FFA requirements for all gun transactions would help too.  There are so many ways to attack this issue, it's incredible we have made no progress on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:31 PM, henrygandorf said:

that's a question only the politicians can answer.  they govern like they have a far right mandate, but they don't.

biden won harris county by double digits.  trump only won texas by 600,000 votes.  for perspective, biden won california by 7mm votes.

Texas politicians are unresponsive to their constituents. Cool story bro: I was visiting a friend in Brooklyn and there was a protest down the street from his house. Bunch of local residents speechifying and holding signs. A couple of reporters were there, and the city council member for the district showed up. What were they protesting? The city was proposing to reclassify three parking spaces.

I couldn't imagine a politician in most cities in Texas responding to a protest over such a hyperlocal issue; and, as a result, I couldn't imagine a protest in any city in Texas over such a 'small' issue - because they know it would be futile. Why waste your time? It's only three parking spaces, and your making noise ain't gonna change shit anyway.

I don't know what became of the parking spaces, but at least the residents made their voices heard. Democracy in action. Doesn't exist here, in any practical sense; the pols know they can get away with ignoring certain segments of their constituency, in fact mocking them on social media.

• Hook 'Em 1

Redistricting in Texas this cycle led to incumbent protection for those in power and in the minority. What’s going to eventually happen is the Dem areas will be won by Progressives demanding less incremental changes and more decisive action due to safe districts, while the Republican areas grow more moderate over time from suburban growth, high COL in city cores, and remote workers.

Nobody will give a shit about parking spaces still, cause that’s small potatoes.

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 5/27/2022 at 1:24 PM, 'stache said:

My dad told me this exact thing about 20 years ago. He said he joined the NRA when it was a hunting club. He owned a shot gun and used it a few times to hunt with some of his friends but it wasn't a big part of his life. I remember when he told me he was giving up his membership because they weren't a hunting club anymore and he hated everything they were publishing in their magazine. It's one of the more bizarre incidents of an organization completely changing its mission in such a short amount of time.

I have a friend who quit when all their mailings were promoting Islamophobia after 9/11. 

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I have a friend who quit when all their mailings were promoting Islamophobia after 9/11. 

I keep forgetting how old I am. I remember this conversation well before 9/11, so more than 20 years ago. I think it was some time after Bill Clinton passed the assault rifle ban, I assume their newsletter went full cloak room and pissed him off. He had two hunting rifles and always said nobody needs a war machine for hunting or home protection. He would have lost his shit if he read outright racist drivel after 9/11.

Edited by 'stache

On 5/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, 'stache said:

This was also around 20+ years ago when I moved from NY to the Midwest as a kid. A close friend of mine's father was an avid hunter & outdoorsman (basically a redneck w/money) & when the NRA came up he was like "they're a bunch of fucking gun nuts who don't even hunt". This was a guy who leaned right & owned an arsenal of hunting rifles & the NRA was way too radical for him. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:46 AM, crash_davis said:

You’d be VERY surprised. Gatlin is a great guy. Personally hates Trump. I know nothing more than that but we have had conversations about it. 

On 5/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, TreatyOak said:

Arrest the man who sold the boy the semi-automatic weapons and the 375 rounds of ammunition. 
Arrest his mother.
Arrest the politicians, starting with the governor, for advocating for lax firearm laws.
Arrest Trump. 

CORRECTION:

375 rounds SHOT

1,600+ rounds PURCHASED.

Lock up the dickwad who sold him the ammunition and Abbott and throw away the key.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caponata said:

This was also around 20+ years ago when I moved from NY to the Midwest as a kid. A close friend of mine's father was an avid hunter & outdoorsman (basically a redneck w/money) & when the NRA came up he was like "they're a bunch of fucking gun nuts who don't even hunt". This was a guy who leaned right & owned an arsenal of hunting rifles & the NRA was way too radical for him. 

I follow a couple of "GunTubers" on YouTube, and the guys who are collecting/restoring old guns, or who are into obscure guns (if don't follow Gun Jesus on Forgotten Weapons you are a heathen), it's clear they are not of the NRA crowd, or at the very least, they make sure and keep their political leanings buried on their YouTube channels.  Same with the few off-the-grid/hunter/survival types that I follow.

But that also means that a lot of gun videos from unsubscribed channels bubble up in my feed, and the NRA types are easy to spot a mile away.  It's like "how much shit can they can hang off of their rifles" or let me spend 20 minutes showing you how my gun shoots with a new accessory that has nothing to do with the actual firing of the gun".  The fetishizing is really weird.  They are telling us they aren't getting laid, without telling us they aren't getting laid or something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

the jokes write themselves. what a fucked up world we are living in. insecure bitch of a man walking around with open carry AR-15. gets robbed of said AR-15. shootout occurs. two got damned innocent people are shot. thief gets shot, and then shot again. 

this is the fucking world insecure bitches would have us live in. i feel for the 2 innocent people who got caught up in this fucked up situation. i'm pissed the thief and man bitch didn't die. 

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/individual-open-carrying-ar-15-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint-in-st-louis-37812866

Individual Open Carrying AR-15 Gets Robbed at Gunpoint in St. Louis

By Rosalind Early on Mon, May 30, 2022 at 10:53 am

There was a shoot out on Friday, May 27, at Wellston Food Market.

The North County Police Cooperative reports that there was a shoot-out on Friday, May 27, that left three people injured after a person open carrying an AR-15 was robbed at gunpoint.

The individual went inside Wellston Food Market on 6250 Page Avenue open carrying the semi-automatic rifle, but did not use it in a threatening manner and left the store. Outside of the store, shortly before 3 p.m., an adult male confronted the individual, brandished a weapon and demanded the AR-15.

The individual handed over the assault-style rifle, but then went to a vehicle and retrieved another gun. A shootout ensued. Two innocent bystanders were struck during the shootout, and the adult male who had initiated the robbery was struck several times by gunfire. According to police reports, the robbery victim left the scene and then another male returned moments later and shot the individual who had initially taken the rifle.

When police arrived on the scene, they found an adult male with several gunshot wounds lying in front of the store in critical condition. Reports say the bystanders were not critically injured.