Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

There is absolutely nothing on Herbstreit's twitter this past week about OSU, which is a first.

giphy.gif

Kirk knows everything going on in that fb program but it is only a matter of time until he speaks and lies to us about it. 

10 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

There is absolutely nothing on Herbstreit's twitter this past week about OSU, which is a first.

giphy.gif

I don't tweet, but someone who does should hit up his twitter and ask him about that cesspool in Columbus.

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t think we’ve seen a lot of stuff just yet either.  I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot is being held back.  If Urban skates, somebody will try and collect scalps.

What’s on the table are the doings for one Earle of Bruce & he recently left the building.

The entire ADept & local police have been covering up for the meathead grandson & his cray cray ex wife.

Where to even start?   I say light a couch and ride this beauty out.. got my pop corn ready.

9 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

What’s on the table are the doings for one Earle of Bruce & he recently left the building.

The entire ADept & local police have been covering up for the meathead grandson & his cray cray ex wife.

Where to even start?   I say light a couch and ride this beauty out.. got my pop corn ready.

Yeah, this doesn’t feel like Urban’s first rodeo.

Also, they still have that little wrestling scandal they haven’t finished dealing with.

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, this doesn’t feel like Urban’s first rodeo.

Also, they still have that little wrestling scandal they haven’t finished dealing with.

That wrestling scandal must feel like a jay walking ticket bout now.

Just saw the list of members on the 5 person investigative team assigned to get to the bottom of things.  3 tOSU board members and 2 former Ohio politicians/legal beagles.

Urbs done IMO (Bob Evans cut ties with him on their endorsements tday & that to me is the kiss of death sign), but this investigative team just screams “we have a system wide issue” and a lot more people & departments are possibly on the block too.

Ol Filthy McNasty damn near had us in the same crosshairs a few years back.. this could be gettin real damn crazy and real damn quick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I don't tweet, but someone who does should hit up his twitter and ask him about that cesspool in Columbus.

i say we leave it alone.  go ahead and order a crate of popcorn from amazon, but caged animals lash out in unforseen ways.

thermensa signed with cougar high on 15 december 14, the ex-wife says she didn't disclose the abuse to the osu corch wives until 10 months later.

don't give the eye of sauron a reason to look away from ohio.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

My office doesn't have a title IX rep, but everyone else in the equation was already aware of the situation correct?  Chain of command and police that is, and police aren't pursing because the wife is being manipulated, and boss doesn't care because guy is a rainmaker.  Am I morally obligated to quit my job then? 

Unless the beaten wife worked for the university or was a student there,  or he beat her on university property,  this has nothing to do with title 9. 

The issue is urban definitely knew about this and not only did nothing but he lied about it. He continues to lie about it.  That is what will sink him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ramdiesel said:

Interesting.  Would they be stupid enough to throw the kind of money at Jimbo that aggy did? Or, maybe Jimbo would want out of Aggy land so bad, he would take a pay cut...

Did jimbo ever actually sign his contract? I thought I'd read he still hadn't yet.  Would be hilarious if he jump ship. Not likely I think, but the potential aggy meltdown would be awesome to behold.

The only thing I find shocking is that anyone is shocked. Urb’s ties with AH alone should tell the average person that character and psychotic behavior are not that high on the list of his recruiting check sheet. And apparently now we find this standard applies to both recruit or coach. He has taken “Just Win Baby” to an entirely new level.

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Unless the beaten wife worked for the university or was a student there,  or he beat her on university property,  this has nothing to do with title 9.

They could argue that women who interacted with Zack Smith on campus were in danger because no one reported his wife abuse, regardless of where that took place. Doubt it comes to this but it's an obvious danger zone for the school

21 minutes ago, Bartles said:

They could argue that women who interacted with Zack Smith on campus were in danger because no one reported his wife abuse, regardless of where that took place. Doubt it comes to this but it's an obvious danger zone for the school

They could argue everyone including the football players were in danger:

During the 2015 call from James to Thomas, Courtney said that Zach’s attorney asked Thomas “if Zach would be a threat to the players?”

Larry James is Ohio States Legal Beagle/Mr. Wolf.   He was sent in to take the temperature on “how bad is this?” with Courtney Smith’s attorney.  The answer?  “It’s bad”.

The entire tOSU ADept knew by late ‘15 that Zach was a major issue.   The admin at tOSU is gonna get the broom out.

Edited by UcancallmeSurly

1 hour ago, Zharkov said:

Did jimbo ever actually sign his contract? I thought I'd read he still hadn't yet.  Would be hilarious if he jump ship. Not likely I think, but the potential aggy meltdown would be awesome to behold.

While this would be funny, assuming OSU even found him to be a good fit based on his resume (I don’t) he would be untouchable for them because of the Winston shenanigans and special treatment for athletes at FSU.

16 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

While this would be funny, assuming OSU even found him to be a good fit based on his resume (I don’t) he would be untouchable for them because of the Winston shenanigans and special treatment for athletes at FSU.

I was thinking the same thing.  The amount of negative press they would get for replacing one piece of garbage with another will keep bimbo in aggy land.

I don't understand circling the wagons to protect coaches/staff/players who are legally or ethically in the wrong. If this type of ordeal happened at Texas, I would want Bellmont to sever all ties with the people involved. I don't care how much value someone provides from a sports standpoint, it isn't worth having the university's reputation permanently damaged and having my alma mater become a punchline for domestic violence, rape, pedo jokes, etc. 

This type of thing can unfortunately happen anywhere. I think the public can largely forgive an institution and its fans if they feel the institution did everything possible to cut the cancer out. People are not forgiving when it appears the institution (or a large percentage of the fans) makes attempts to protect the people involved (see: Baylor, Pedo St).

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Is having 3 current BOR members on your independent group to oversee this issue and his job really “independent?”

If you have 3 current BOR members on this group, the perception is they are trying to find a way to keep him. 

2 of the 3 were independent of OSU to begin with, only Dr Porter holds an OSU degree.  Independent oversight,  check and balance on the institution, is pretty much the purpose of a board.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

8 hours ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

That wrestling scandal must feel like a jay walking ticket bout now.

Just saw the list of members on the 5 person investigative team assigned to get to the bottom of things.  3 tOSU board members and 2 former Ohio politicians/legal beagles.

Urbs done IMO (Bob Evans cut ties with him on their endorsements tday & that to me is the kiss of death sign), but this investigative team just screams “we have a system wide issue” and a lot more people & departments are possibly on the block too.

Ol Filthy McNasty damn near had us in the same crosshairs a few years back.. this could be gettin real damn crazy and real damn quick.

There are only 3 people on this investigation panel and only Shumate ever served as a politician. I think you reading Shumate's career descriptors as extra people. Shumate is also the only legal beagle of the three. Most of Fisher's career was in Tennessee. The panel seems pretty thought out; Female doctor that was COO of two nationally renowned healthcare institutions, an African American attorney/community leader, and a research guy who spent most of his career in another state.

I agree with the next part. Gene Smith will be gone and who knows who else.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

There's no way his lawyers wouldn't shred that argument as he's never shown to be a threat to anyone other than his domestic partner. That would be a huge unnecessary reach that goes contrary to the rule's intention. 

• Like 1

There's no way his lawyers wouldn't shred that argument as he's never shown to be a threat to anyone other than his domestic partner. That would be a huge unnecessary reach that goes contrary to the rule's intention. 
They could have fired Zach Smith at any time for almost any reason. Ohio is an at will employment state. If it's not specifically protected in his employment contract they can fire a coach for any reason. You are making no sense.

10 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Nope.  The panel is just a way to give the university cover for a decision to keep him on.  "The panel of unimpeachables said the best thing given the evidence was a 3 game suspension with domestic violence training for all staff."  We take their report very seriously blah blah blah

You just as much need a panel of the unimpeachable to keep the BMDs and community leaders on board that an Urban dismissal was warranted and wasn't a knee jerk to #metoo.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
14 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

They could have fired Zach Smith at any time for almost any reason. Ohio is an at will employment state. If it's not specifically protected in his employment contract they can fire a coach for any reason. You are making no sense.

I never said they couldn't fire him. Just that the case against Urban isn't a title 9 case as so many in the media keep saying. The can fire him for obviously lying about his knowledge of the 2015 incidents. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I never said they couldn't fire him. Just that the case against Urban isn't a title 9 case as so many in the media keep saying. The can fire him for obviously lying about his knowledge of the 2015 incidents. 

Title 9 says Urb had a legal obligation to report.

I'm not privy to know how or if that happened, but it certainly is a title 9 concern.

• Like 1

My guess is that it’s even odds of him getting fired. He won’t resign because the leaves too much potential $ on the table. Even if it’s in his contract that he gets nothing if fired with cause, he could still tie OSU up in court for decades. I think if he goes it’s a ‘here’s some money, go away’ type deal.

If he stays, game day signs will be interesting for sure. His recruiting would have to take a hit, just send out links to the O’Keefe hit piece to parents and links to all the negative press.

I think it's important to be reminded of the specific bases upon which Meyer would (and likely will) be canned, and not get caught up in the other side stories.  This is a university policy matter more than anything, and even wunnerul lawyers usually can't beat it (I used to audit for the State of Texas and am a little familiar with these kinds of policies, and they are tough to beat):

COLUMBUS (WCMH) – Urban Meyer’s contract spells out his responsibilities when dealing with violations of laws and university rules by assistant coaches, and the university's recourse.

According to Meyer’s employment agreement, Meyer is responsible for reporting to the Athletic Director and compliance office if any person, including assistant coaches, under his supervision has violated state, local or federal laws, as well as university rules.

d) Know, recognize and comply with all federal, state and local laws, as well as all applicable University Rules and Governing Athletic Rules, in accordance with NCAA Bylaw 1 1 .1 .2.1 , promote an atmosphere for compliance within the football program supervised by Coach and monitor the activities regarding compliance of all assistant coaches and other administrators involved with the program who report directly or indirectly to Coach; supervise and take appropriate steps in an effort to ensure that Coach's assistant coaches, any other employees for whom Coach is administratively responsible and the members of the Team know, recognize and comply with all such laws, University Rules and Governing Athletic Rules; and immediately report to the Director and to the Department's Office of Compliance Services in writing if any person or entity, including without limitation, representatives of Ohio State's athletic interests, has violated or is likely to violate or may potentially have violated any such laws, University Rules and Governing Athletic Rules (unless Ohio State has informed Coach that certain minor transgressions do not require written reports to the Director and the Department's Office of Compliance Services).

Failure to report violations of university rules is an offense that could lead to being fired for cause, according to the contract.

Failure by Coach to report promptly to the Director and to the Office of Compliance Services in writing any violations or potential violations known to Coach of Governing Athletic Rules or University Rules including, but not limited to, those by Coach, the assistant coaches, students or other persons under the direct control or supervision of Coach, as determined by Ohio State

The university’s sexual misconduct policy classifies domestic violence as a form of sexual violence.

The contract also spells out that an occurrence that brings the coach or the university into ‘public disrepute’ is grounds for termination for cause.

Commission of or participation in by Coach of any act, situation, or occurrence which, in Ohio State's judgment, brings Coach and/or Ohio State into public disrepute, embarrassment, contempt, scandal or ridicule or failure by Coach to conform Coach's personal conduct to conventional and contemporary standards of good citizenship, with such conduct offending prevailing social mores and values and/or reflecting unfavorably upon Ohio State's reputation and overall primary mission and objectives, including but not limited to, acts of dishonesty, misrepresentation, fraud or violence that may or may not warrant criminal prosecution by the relevant authorities.

If the university is considering terminating Meyer for cause, the contract says Meyer must be given an opportunity to explain the circumstances, from his point of view, prior to termination. The university must then give written notice of its intention to terminate the agreement.

If the contract is terminated for cause, Meyer would not be eligible to receive any further compensation or benefits from the university.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/what-is-urban-meyers-responsibility-to-report-issues-with-assistant-coaches-/1340273527

Meyer has clearly violated these statues, and this is the basis for his firing, whatever else happens.

That said, I can easily see OSU President not firing him, but launching this sickening bullshit "we'll keep him but he's going to go to training" while Ohio State launches some sort of pathetic public initiative on "we have learned from this, and have instituted training for all of our coaches on sexual assault" or some fuckshit like that, then some kind of blitz on how Ohio State has instituted this or that bullshit fake policy or program and show nice videos of women talking with coaches or players and everyone nodding their heads and laughing, "all cleared up!".

I think they're gonna try like fuck to hang onto this guy and try to out-PR the critics.  The perverse part of me thinks it'll be a hoot.  Also if they try to keep him, I can't wait to see how TV handles every Ohio State game... announcers repeatedly chirping that "this is a serious matter but our job is to describe the action on the field only" or some other pathetic bullshit, or some other fakey "awareness of sexual assault" campaign - and mostly, a check/donation - to some womens' causes and presentations on TV front and center.

But really, I'd rather say fuck all of that and fire the bastard.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Is having 3 current BOR members on your independent group to oversee this issue and his job really “independent?”

If you have 3 current BOR members on this group, the perception is they are trying to find a way to keep him. 

They should have hired the group that investigated Baylor,  can't remember their name.  

Seems like they were pretty thorough. 

16 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Title 9 says Urb had a legal obligation to report.

I'm not privy to know how or if that happened, but it certainly is a title 9 concern.

No, you're making the same error I was correcting. It would only come into play if the female being abused was either a student or employee of the university,  or if the female was on school property when the abuse took place. It has parameters and doesn't cover any or all domestic violence.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I think it's important to be reminded of the specific bases upon which Meyer would (and likely will) be canned, and not get caught up in the other side stories.  This is a university policy matter more than anything, and even wunnerul lawyers usually can't beat it (I used to audit for the State of Texas and am a little familiar with these kinds of policies, and they are tough to beat):

Meyer has clearly violated these statues, and this is the basis for his firing, whatever else happens.

That said, I can easily see OSU President not firing him, but launching this sickening bullshit "we'll keep him but he's going to go to training" while Ohio State launches some sort of pathetic public initiative on "we have learned from this, and have instituted training for all of our coaches on sexual assault" or some fuckshit like that, then some kind of blitz on how Ohio State has instituted this or that bullshit fake policy or program and show nice videos of women talking with coaches or players and everyone nodding their heads and laughing, "all cleared up!".

I think they're gonna try like fuck to hang onto this guy and try to out-PR the critics.  The perverse part of me thinks it'll be a hoot.  Also if they try to keep him, I can't wait to see how TV handles every Ohio State game... announcers repeatedly chirping that "this is a serious matter but our job is to describe the action on the field only" or some other pathetic bullshit, or some other fakey "awareness of sexual assault" campaign - and mostly, a check/donation - to some womens' causes and presentations on TV front and center.

But really, I'd rather say fuck all of that and fire the bastard.

This is what they can get him on. If they determine he lied about knowledge of 2015 incident then this would come into play. I don't see any way a reasonable person could conclude he wasn't told by his wife given the known evidence. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

There are only 3 people on this investigation panel and only Shumate ever served as a politician. I think you reading Shumate's career descriptors as extra people. Shumate is also the only legal beagle of the three. Most of Fisher's career was in Tennessee.

I agree with the next part. Gene Smith will be gone and who knows who else.

Check it again.. there are actually 6 on the team, but I left off the 90 yr old ex House of Reps last.

Former US Atty from Ohio & a former US Deputy Atty General are on it tho in addition to the 3 tOSU trustees

19 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

No, you're making the same error I was correcting. It would only come into play if the female being abused was either a student or employee of the university,  or if the female was on school property when the abuse took place. It has parameters and doesn't cover any or all domestic violence.

I'm no expert but I would guess that since the asst. coach was an employee of the University, title 9 covers it.

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

From T9, it applies to all students, parents, and faculty/staff, not just if it is a student and not just if it is on campus.  Third parties have rights extended to them when the accused is a member of the university community.   So since Smith was on staff and was alleged to have been committing relationship abuse to a third party, it needed to be reported and could have been since both Urbs and his wife are both employees of OSU and Urbs is likely classified as a mandatory reporter since he's in the management role.

Here's OSU's actual policy guide if it helps the debate:

OSU Sexual Misconduct

Excerpts:

Applies to: Faculty, staff, students, student employees, graduate associates, appointees, volunteers, supplier/contractor, and visitors.

All members of the university community are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that maintains an environment free from sexual misconduct.

The university community seeks to eliminate sexual misconduct through education and by encouraging everyone to report concerns or complaints, including third parties when the accused is a member of the university community.

Dating violence and domestic violence. All such acts of relationship violence are forms of sexual misconduct under this policy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

2 of the 3 were independent of OSU to begin with, only Dr Porter holds an OSU degree.  Independent oversight,  check and balance on the institution, is pretty much the purpose of a board.

My PhD is in higher ed admin.  I know what the purpose of a BOR is.  I also know at the university level, they tend to consist of individuals who are graduates of that school and have a perceptual bias in favor of their university, especially if they are a big dawg in football.  Can BOR members put aside the bias and butthurt of the fanbase and objectively make a ruling.  That's my question. 

Granted I really don't care since I didn't graduate from there and think that place is trash. 

• Like 2

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games