¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

They are of the same genus (Agkistrodon), and young cottonmouths have a similar "leaf" pattern on their bodies that eventually gets washed out as the animal matures and its scales darken.

Personally, they are about as cool-looking as snakes get, but I prefer to admire them from afar.

I think copperheads are among the most beautiful snakes out there.  Cottonmouths, not so much.

There's another Agkistrodon in Mexico called a Cantil that doesn't look much like either one and a fairly broad variation among subspeciies.  Check em out.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

They are of the same genus (Agkistrodon), and young cottonmouths have a similar "leaf" pattern on their bodies that eventually gets washed out as the animal matures and its scales darken.

Personally, they are about as cool-looking as snakes get, but I prefer to admire them from afar.

image.gif.215cc2e1921f11082f12851a914d747a.gif

• Haha 2

This fella was out for a slither.  He was moving slow so I think he had just finished lunch.   Saw him crossing the two track from 300 yards away.   I drew up slow to keep the vibrations down while I was out delivering water to the protein pens.  Drove up in him when he cleared out of the way.  He never once hit the accelerator as he eased into the brush. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

Friend from HS posted these on FB.  She lives in Fort Worth.  Yes, apparently that is her mailbox.  Apparently her husband is now in charge of mail retrieval.  No word on snek's current health status.

Mail Snake 1.jpg

Mail snake 2.jpg

That's a good snek, the kind that will crawl up in bed with you on a cold night. No worries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Help - My son left his rat snake upstairs for about thirty minutes and now he’s vanished. It’s been about two weeks. I’ve looked everywhere. Even our cat can’t find her. 

Any advice?

put a mouse in a small cage, inside of a big cage and wait.  He will show up. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Help - My son left his rat snake upstairs for about thirty minutes and now he’s vanished. It’s been about two weeks. I’ve looked everywhere. Even our cat can’t find her. 

Any advice?

Wife's Boa escaped a few months ago. Buddy was staying at the house, gets up to go to the guest bathroom, and snek is draped over the medicine cabinet. He screamed like a little girl, came and woke me up. Grab snek, put snek back in his home, went back to bed. Asked him why he was so scared since the snek is out a lot and on her or my shoulders. He says dude I am a Canadian. What would you do if you saw a moose?

Laughed my ass off the whole time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Any advice?

I lost my ball python once and he was in a shoebox in my closet. Dark, cozy, preferably warm spots. Just hope he didn’t get to the back of a fridge or into the ventilation somehow. 

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I lost my ball python once and he was in a shoebox in my closet. Dark, cozy, preferably warm spots. Just hope he didn’t get to the back of a fridge or into the ventilation somehow. 

How far would this guy go?

it was lost upstairs. There is a fridge up there, which I removed and checked and didn’t find him. 

10 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

How far would this guy go?

it was lost upstairs. There is a fridge up there, which I removed and checked and didn’t find him. 

I mean, two weeks later?  Honestly, he could be anywhere.  And as I’m sure you know, rat sneks are excellent climbers, so that expands the options even further.  Check light fixtures (fluorescent coverings, for example) and such too.