Texas & Alabama discussing home and home series

clapclapclap

50 minutes ago, BB65 said:

Good. Negotiations should start with all SEC teams except tigger and aggy 

It may trigger aggy but it's also possible content for their championship wall.

Edited by PhillyD
typo

I highly doubt this happens given Bama's love of neutral site, not really neutral site, games against decent opponents in the OOC. But if two teams might have the cache to make it happen, it's Texas and Notre Dame. In for the away game.

Current future schedules (and let's see how formatting, etc. work on this new site):

• 09/05 - USF
  • 09/12 - at LSU

• TBA

1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Bama play an away game OOC?  Never happen.

It is not about fear of playing an away game, it is about money. They make a fuckload of extra money playing all those neutral site games. Also is about recruiting. That is something Texas has over even ND, the chance to play in front of Texas HS recruits.

As a fan and season ticket holder, I do not like all the neutral site games but I know why they do it.  Let's go ahead and get that 2025 and 2026 slots locked down. I want to go to Austin before I die. I will go ahead and put in my order for Franklin's now.

• Like 1

Well let's be honest. Part of it is money and part of it is controlling just how neutral the game is. It's not like Bama is playing outside of the south and Texas. Saban's not scheduling California as a neutral site. It's a brilliant strategy.

Edited by mdmost

49 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well let's be honest. Part of it is money and part of it is controlling just how neutral the game is. It's not like Bama is playing outside of the south and Texas. Saban's not scheduling California as a neutral site. It's a brilliant strategy.

True but also, I don't think any Cali location has offered up any neutral site games. So far that has just been GA, FL and TX. He might accept one in LA, if the Rose Bowl offered one up, just for the CA recruiting bump. The other site to offer up a neutral opener(to LSU) was Lambeau. Not sure he would have accepted that, as WI is not a fertile as a recruiting ground.

Edited by bamachine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bamachine said:

I want to go to Austin before I die.

Dude, it's really easy to go to Austin. You don't need a game. I-59 over to I-20, there are various cut-throughs depending on whether you want speed or back roads. Hell, we could do it together, take turns driving. One long day on the road and we're there.

I could walk you around and show you where the cool stuff used to be.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Dude, it's really easy to go to Austin. You don't need a game. I-59 over to I-20, there are various cut-throughs depending on whether you want speed or back roads. Hell, we could do it together, take turns driving. One long day on the road and we're there.

I could walk you around and show you where the cool stuff used to be.

Yeah, done the drive thrice to DFW and once to Houston. Figure it is about halfway between those two trips. Houston was like 3 hours longer. Figure Austin would be about 90-120 minutes longer than DFW.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Herman must feel confident about getting this program back to elite. 

A lot can also change between now and whenever the series actually occurs. Imagine if this home-and-home had been discussed in 2008 for 10 years in advance. The confidence from the respective fanbases would have been very different.

• 4 weeks later...

With Alabama's OOC schedule for the next several years and including the mighty SECSECSEC west, it's difficult to see them losing more than a game (maybe 2) in a year.  Must be nice, yet it's a very boring out of conference slate.  But with UT on the rise (I think) we'll give them a challenge, right?