Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

You could hear the A-10s circling the moving “battlefield” of Desert Storm. They literally didn’t have to worry about ground defense rockets after the 1st day. I saw my first Stealth Bomber fly to/from during the early days, prior to ground war, as well. Looked like Batman bought a plane.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

You could hear the A-10s circling the moving “battlefield” of Desert Storm. They literally didn’t have to worry about ground defense rockets after the 1st day. I saw my first Stealth Bomber fly to/from during the early days, prior to ground war, as well. Looked like Batman bought a plane.

Hook’em!!!

tumblr_mus7qx06mE1qgrjt5o3_r1_250.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've heard the A-10 described as "a plane wrapped around a Gatling gun".
When I was in tech school in Biloxi, the A-10s would do touch-and-gos on the runway right behind our dorm. We'd sit in the quad and watch as they'd come in from afar and sink behind the building out of sight, then suddenly shoot right up over us. It was awesome.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:45 PM, crash_davis said:

On site training, flying a fucking 737. HOLY SHIT. 

I think our resident pilot warned about flying non-US airlines. I don't imagine they are much better than this cargo airline.

Reading the comments, this seems to be standard procedure for this airport.

From having been there and flown into Paro and talked with pilots about it, there are a few things to note.

Paro is at ~7500ft, has a 7400ft runway, and 737s aren’t normally used - much less cargo 737s.

Put lightly, at its MTOW, that 737 would be short >2000 ft of clearing Paro’s runway.

Saw a few cargo aircraft (737s) land while I was there, and they always came in like this (don’t know about the phone though) - you just can’t hit the turn waypoints in something that heavy, so you make do.

Both Druk and Bhutan Airlines have to use A319-100s that actually have a few specific modifications to handle the landings and takeoffs.

The reason you don’t hear any alarms in most other videos is that it is part of the checklist for landing to turn them off they are active if you look at the control pack in all videos. This is because it is considered dangerously distracting to fly the approach with that many audible alarms going off - the full approach is over 30 minutes long (way longer than this video) and can only be flown under VFR.

Also: for those thinking it is specific turn points or radii, it isn’t. The approach is to follow the path of the river - exactly as is done in the video.

@DaysOff @Bobby_Batronic have any thoughts on this?

can you ask for this approach  in the sim?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Looks like a 737-500. Could be a former CAL plane. We sold off that part of the fleet, and two went to a Russian outfit that promptly crashed them.

This approach is so unstable they should have their tickets pulled for "careless and reckless" operation, yet the right seat kept filming like it's another Tuesday.

On 11/18/2023 at 7:02 AM, nnm said:

I couldn’t drive this road if my life depended on it. In fact, I’d have to be unconscious to ride in the bus. 

Yep.   “Hey B.A., we gotta get to the next village to help the locals battle the warlord.  But before we go, why don’t you have a glass of this delicious milk.”

• Like 3